When Did "Eating The Box" Become Popular in Hip-Hop?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
230 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
108 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
162 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM         #1
6381 pageviews
70 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
When Did "Eating The Box" Become Popular in Hip-Hop?

Posted by Brittany "Bella" Graham

“Tongue on the na-na, that’s the only place I sleep at…” – Joe Moses.

I was on my way to a club in Hollywood last week – enjoying being the non-designated driver for once – when “Need Dat”, a song by Joe Moses, the Brick Squad unofficial king of ratchet, came on.

Since it was my first time hearing the song, and the beat heavily alluded to a possible club banger, I immediately reached out to turn up the volume. However, I’d be lying if I said it was the beat alone that solidified my immediate co-sign on the song. My discreet satisfaction actually came quite early on – somewhere around the 0:03 mark – and had nothing to do with the beat.

“Do you need that?” Joe Moses rapped. “Can I eat that? So you can brag on the feedback.”

Apparently I wasn’t the only one happy with the direction of the song because all my girls in the backseat started swaying and grooving along to the song too. Meanwhile, I’m wondering, “Why do male rappers professing their love for orally pleasing women have such an immediate positive reaction?”

Then I considered the fact that up until the last couple of years, I never really noticed too many male rappers openly admitting to giving oral s3x; more less openly bragging about it. It had always been the rage to boast about maintaining dominance over a woman by getting her to give “head”, and then giving her nothing but “hard d!ck and bubblegum” in return. So when had “eating the box” suddenly become popular in Hip-Hop?

The places my mind wanders while under the influence…

Growing up on the west coast and hearing the typical sounds of heralded Hip-Hop gangsta-pimp rappers such as DJ Quik, Snoop, Ice-Cube and Too Short, I remember there being a time when “eating cooch” was super uncool. Not only was it socially unacceptable to talk about, it also had a huge impact on whether young men on the west actually participated in giving oral s3x at all.

“We had pimps like Suga Free and Snoop,” said Dev, a Crenshaw High School graduate who commented on my recent Facebook poll. “Eatin’ pus*y was a no-no. In fact, I didn’t eat it until 24.”

With rappers like Too Short boasting lines like “I tell all my homies, ‘play these hoes’, don’t eat the pus*y and play these hoes” on “Hoes” – a track on his 1992 studio album, Shorty the Pimp – its no wonder that male Hip-Hop enthusiasts in the early ‘90’s shared an anti-oral s3x sentiment. Of course this only relates to the “giving” aspect of oral s3x; on the contrary you’ll find plenty of west coast songs from the era encouraging the reception of fellatio.

DJ Quik’s “Can I Eat It” (featured on Quik’s 1995 Safe & Sound album) is another prime example of west coast rappers aversion to “eating poon”.

[video - click to view]

“Im’a let her know baby doll I can’t do it, not in here and f*ck, because all coochie got a taste to it,” Quik rapped. “Tongue condoms are hard to find, and even if your d!ck’s protected, you can still catch the high by doing a nose dive.”

Nevertheless, even with all the discouraging epithets being hurled around, somewhere in the mid-2000’s the west coast stigma surrounding “eating the box” began to soften.

I can’t credit one specific rapper on the west to the gradual popularization of cunnilingus – perhaps its one of those things that you never really notice until someone points it out – but by 2005 it was definitely on the way “in”; no pun intended.

“You go down on me, I’ll go down on you,” rapped Compton, Calif. emcee, The Game on “Special”. “I wanna do all the things that your man won’t do.”

More recently, west coast rapper, LoveRance, professed his love for “eating the box” on YG’s, “Up” also featuring IAmSu. The song finds LoveRance declaring that a certain woman’s “juice box taste good to me, put it on my tongue, fill me on up.”

Still, you may be wondering why I keep emphasizing this lack of tolerance for “eating the box” as a purely west coast problem. Well, after I did a bit of researching on the issue, I discovered that emcees on the east coast appeared to have embraced the topic much earlier than their west coast brethren.

On Nas’ song, “The Flyest” featuring AZ (released on Stillmatic in 2001), Nas rapped about being a “peaceful brother, eat up so much the girls call me seafood lover.”

Bronx rapper, Big Pun, was no stranger either.

He rapped, “Scuse me for bein’ blunt, but I’ve been eatin’ c*nts since pimps was pushing pink caddies with the fish tank pumps” in his song, “Not A Player”; and then later mentioned his specialty for “eating” once again in the remix (“Still Not A Player” featuring Fat Joe).

“I could go downstairs, little brown hairs everywhere,” Pun rapped. “You nasty twin! I don’t care.”

Even Biggie couldn’t resist having a taste of the topic.

“Petiteness, but that a.ss fat, she got a body make a n*gga wanna eat that,” Biggie rapped on “I’ve Got A Story To Tell” (Life After death).

True, his very next line was, “I’m f*ckin’ wit you”, but I still have a strong suspicion he played a devil’s advocate on that one.

Even the down south cats – most notably Lil’ Wayne – have been vocal about their skills in the bedroom. There’s way too many song references of Wayne’s to even attempt to list them all, but his most notorious line is most likely from his verse on “Mr. Carter” featuring Jay-Z.

“I suck a pus*y, f*ck a pus*y, leave it there,” Wayne rapped. “Long hair, I don’t even care.”

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. I’m sure there were rappers from the west talking about it way back when, and that there are rappers from both the north and the south refusing to give or talk about it now. I’m still rolling with the ease coast as being one of the primary innovators of ushering it in, but regardless of your individual stance on the topic, one thing remains for certain: the popularization of “head-giving” by male rappers is definitely on the rise.

Cheers to the future of Hip-Hop.

[pic - click to view]

[Opinion] When Did "Eating The Box" Become Popular in Hip-Hop? | The Well Versed

70 comments for "When Did "Eating The Box" Become Popular in Hip-Hop?"

01-20-2012, 07:14 PM         #2
DoubleD  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
in the 90's
 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM         #3
s7venwords  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 90sBaby said:
in the 90's
yeah I've never been a fan of it, if I really loved her then yeah but she would have to be special enough.
 6 years ago '04        #4
Skammy Gee 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,209 | Props total: 108 108
Use to lick the c*its alot, but lickin c*its had 2 stop
 6 years ago '04        #5
DSOM 37 heat pts37
space
space
$18,325 | Props total: 414 414
^^^^you are what you eat

and these n*ggas is PUUUUUSSSSSYYYY!!!
 6 years ago '10        #6
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5678 5678
n*ggas won't eat pus*y but would get they butt licked???
 6 years ago '04        #7
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,362 | Props total: 6375 6375
 JETSoverERTHING said:
n*ggas won't eat pus*y but would get they butt licked???

or be sniffing people a.ss and underwear like
 6 years ago '06        #8
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
$32,948 | Props total: 13570 13570
everybody eat pus*y?

but on topic it became Popular around the same time it became Popular to be a trick and trick all your money to a stripper and radom females
 6 years ago '11        #9
Rotza 
space
space
$937 | Props total: 277 277
circa 2009 ... maybe even as early as 2008. I was playing TM101 today and thought it was funny when Jeezy said "Let your man be the freak he can eat it up". n*ggas was like back in 2005 ... then n*ggas grew up and realized
 6 years ago '10        #10
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
Weezy did it... it was one of the dedication. i remember having the convo wit my boys. The was some "i love eating pus*y" n*ggas and i wasnt. Then they played some songs talking about "Wayne do it, you lame folk" So i finally broke down and ate the poon. Still not my thing tho.
 6 years ago '05        #11
kriskross00 103 heat pts103
space
space
$18,450 | Props total: 15448 15448
 Account001 said:
Weezy did it... it was one of the dedication. i remember having the convo wit my boys. The was some "i love eating pus*y" n*ggas and i wasnt. Then they played some songs talking about "Wayne do it, you lame folk" So i finally broke down and ate the poon. Still not my thing tho.
the fact that u ate pus*y because ur homeboys said "Wayne do it, you lame folk" is
jus..man..i jus..wow..
 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM         #12
Ca$h Out  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Don't go down stairs....
 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM         #13
factorx3  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 antoniob 321 said:
Don't go down stairs....
 6 years ago '04        #14
damjr87 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,133 | Props total: 7 7
Field Mob - Eat em Up Beat em Up.

6 years ago '05        #15
blockburna 
space
space
$1,633 | Props total: 3 3
Bout the same time when rappers realized that only females were still buying cds...
 6 years ago '10        #16
frankfmoney 10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,382 | Props total: 1 1
fu*k that single line, Wayne did a whole sh*t on it.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #17
bassfiend316 
space
space
$8,576 | Props total: 0 0
Never understood why nobody wants to admit they eat pus*y. Maybe you need to find a new chick. I like eating pus*y. I'm good at it, and it's hard to be mad with your face in some puss. And if she won't return the favor, that's a whole different story. Of course, it's gotta be clean, but....

I dunno when it became "accepted" in rap, but dudes been doing it since the beginning of time.
 6 years ago '10        #18
Esdot 17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,615 | Props total: 689 689
Fat Trel always has a line about eatin box and a.ss.

"And I promise that I wouldn't put my finger in her butt, but I'm drunk so what the fu*k"

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '06        #19
mrep3 39 heat pts39
space
space
$5,840 | Props total: 6023 6023
All of you nikkas are wrong and LIL Wayne stans... This nikka was the first rapper I heard of talking about eating punanny back in (98-99)...
Peep 1:01 min in.

[video - click to view]

Last edited by mrep3; 01-20-2012 at 10:30 PM..
 6 years ago '07        #20
notic99 25 heat pts25
space
space
$7,584 | Props total: 0 0

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
60 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
21 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
19 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
102 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Sony drops the price of PSVR bundles by $100 for the holidays
33 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
167 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy