Official Spartacus: Vengeance Thread, Premieres Friday, January 27 On Starz

most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
25 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
40 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
84 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
13930 pageviews
274 comments

SM 38164 heat pts38164
space
space
$127,792 | Props total: 67131 67131
Official Spartacus: Vengeance Thread, Premieres Friday, January 27 On Starz

[video - click to view]

274 comments for "Official Spartacus: Vengeance Thread, Premieres Friday, January 27 On Starz"

6 years ago '07        #2
jhj26 51 heat pts51
space
space
$15,677 | Props total: 1337 1337
Vengeance episode 1(201)
 6 years ago '05        #3
TheT 21 heat pts21
space
space
$16,913 | Props total: 717 717
Hopefully this season isn't a huge drop off.
 6 years ago '04        #4
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,387 | Props total: 6423 6423
it was slow for the 1st 15 but after that...
 6 years ago '06        #5
SM 38164 heat pts38164 OP
space
space
 jhj26 said:
Vengeance episode 1(201)
 6 years ago '06        #6
space
space

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '06        #7
space
space
What to Expect in Season 2 (Beyond the Blood and Bodies)

"I am Spartacus."

Newcomer Liam McIntyre pronounces these iconic words in Spartacus: Vengeance, which returns to Starz for its second season on Friday at 10/9c. In a way, the Aussie is proclaiming the new regime, both as the slave who won his freedom and as the actor who stepped into Spartacus' shoes after Andy Whitfield had to exit because of lymphoma. (Whitfield died in September.)

McIntyre: Andy Whitfield's death was the "saddest day" on the Spartacus set

As the new guy, McIntyre enters into a fantastically overwrought world of gore, copulation and pseudo-period dialogue with which fans are already familiar. Despite the convoluted language and intense f!ght sequences requiring months of training, it was the revealing s3x scenes that he found the most challenging.

"The language I liked because I had a Shakespeare background, so it was really fun to play," McIntyre tells TVGuide.com "It's like revisionist Shakespeare or something. The f!ghting is like being a 10-year-old; it's so much fun. So I guess the most challenging thing is the nudity. It's just such a weird thing. It always works in the story, it's always a combination of an important moment... but as an actor, it's just an odd experience. People just don't go around with their clothes off."

Nevertheless, McIntyre stripped down and stepped up, bringing Spartacus to life once again in all his nekkid glory. Season 2 picks up with Spartacus leading the rebels who have won their freedom by overthrowing the House of Batiatus in a bloody battle. Check out what else McIntyre, executive producer Steven DeKnight and co-star Lucy Lawless have to say about what's coming up this season:

A Brothel Massacre. Crixus (Manu Bennett) is intent on obtaining critical information, and he's not about to let a house of ill repute get in his way. Naturally, his fellow rebels are more than eager to participate. "In Episode 1, one of the early things we put up on the board in the writers' room, was 'Brothel Attack," and you just can't go wrong with a title like that. There's a very emotional story that goes with that, but we wanted to have it, 'Well, you don't want to just go in and attack a bunch of guys and get some information. They should attack a brothel.'"

VIDEO: Spartacus promises to "repay with blood" in Season 2

The Roman Upstart. Gaius Claudius Glaber (Craig Parker) was only seen briefly in the first season, but is back with more screen time as he sets out to oppose Spartacus and the rebels. Too bad the younger generation of Romans aren't always on the same page. "We definitely wanted to throw some roadblocks in his way and that's where we came in with Seppius [Tom Hobbs] and his sister Seppia. [Hanna Mangan Lawrence]," DeKnight explains, adding that they "wanted to have this young guy" cause Glaber some trouble. "Early on in the season, there's a scene between the two. They're just sitting and talking, but it's one of my favorites of the season, the scene in which Seppius eats the fig. It's a power battle."

The Unexpected Slave. As Spartacus and his men travel the countryside, freeing slaves as they go, they encounter Tiberius (Pana Hema-Taylor) a young man who isn't thrilled to have his master k!lled. "People like Tiberius challenge the idea that Spartacus has that everybody should be free," says McIntyre. "Rome is such an oppressive regime that sometimes it's better the devil you know than something else. And even if he was lashed and all those things, at least he knows where it's coming from. Whereas the problem the rebels have from the get-go is that we're on the lam. We're on the run from the law, and the law wants to k!ll you. Is that really a better thing than being fed and f!ghting in the arena for money? Is that a better situation to be in? In principle, yeah. In reality maybe not."

More Than Just Figs. "I'm big in the scripts about writing in certain times when people are eating. It carries so much more weight," says DeKnight. "It's one of the things we started doing with Nick Tarabay, who plays Ashur. There was a scene in Season 1 where we saw the dailies, and something terrible was happening to somebody, and we cut to Ashur, and he's having a little snack. So we started writing that in. That really just spoke tons about his character."

The Return of the Retiarus. Gnaeus (Raicho Vasilev), who wielded the trident and net in the arena, may be dead this season, but another gladiator will take up the "fisherman's gear." "The retiarus, the trident and net gladiator, in all the versions of movies and stuff, he tends to look ridiculous," DeKnight says. "But on our show — and that's the genius of [stunt supervisor] Allan Poppleton — he made it absolutely badass. You will see more of tridents and nets."

A Love for Lucretia. The domina survived the House of Batiatus slaughter, but is not the Lucretia we once knew. Nevertheless, she still holds appeal for at least one person. "Lucretia's lost everything," Lawless says. "She's lost her beloved husband, the child she was going to give him, the lover who enabled the child, the home, status and therefore it's quite understandable that she's lost her marbles in the meantime... but she does have two love interests. Somebody falls in love with her."

6 years ago '11        #8
bd2eazy 37 heat pts37
space
space
$5,141 | Props total: 161 161
saw the first ep on sunday. it was koo,
The new guy is gonna take some getting
used to, but there were some good
surprises in the first ep.
 6 years ago '06        #9
space
space
'Spartacus: Vengeance' Preview: 17 Things to Expect on Season 2

Fans have waited two years for the continuation of the Starz original series. On Friday at 10 p.m., it’s back and approprately titled Spartacus: Vengeance.

“I felt very strongly that this season’s subtitle should be ‘Vengeance,’ " series creator Steven DeKnight tells The Hollywood Reporter. “Because the best thing about that subtitle is that it’s not just talking about Spartacus’ thirst for vengeance against the Romans for what they did with his wife -- everybody has an axe to grind.”

So, big changes are ahead in the world Spartacus: Vengeance as champions become rebels and slaves become warriors. Not the least of those changes is the replacement of its titular star Andy Whitfield (who lost his f!ght with lymphoma last September) with Australian actor Liam McIntyre. With Whitfield’s blessing, McIntyre steps into the role seamlessly but the actor says there was much to learn from his predecessor.

“In watching him, the thing that appealed to me as an actor and just as a viewer of the show was the way Andy captured Spartacus's humanity, as a human being where it could have been very easy to play Spartacus as just a one-dimensional hero type.,” McIntyre tells THR. “The thing that I loved about watching the show that I wanted to bring to my portrayal was how human that character was, and how he was affected by his trial and tribulations on an emotional level and struggled with his decisions.”

PHOTOS: Starz's 'Torchwood: Miracle Day'

Take a look at THR’s ultimate primer for the new season as its cast describes 17 more things to expect from Spartacus: Vengeance.

1. Spartacus’ path to leadership starts in Vengeance. “The biggest challenge that Spartacus faces is embracing that bigger cause that I guess ultimately left its mark on history,” McIntyre says. “Which is that of taking these disparate people - these rebels, and building them into a force that is for a while certainly the match of Rome.”

2. Behold the Roman Republic. Season 2 takes a fascinating look at Roman politics and its response to the threat of the rebellion. And they really don’t disappoint. “I absolutely adore all the stuff that is written about the Romans,” McIntyre admits. “I was so jealous reading those scripts as they came through; I'm like that's awesome. Because, there are so many twists and turns and so many power plays and so many shifts in direction for all of those characters.”

Spartacus Vengeance the romans

3. Slaves can become warriors. In the new season, the rebellion needs all the help in can muster against the Roman forces. “They really have a responsibility to their own survival to create their own force that can stand on their own two feet,” McIntyre Says. “So getting more people on board and making sure they're f!ghting fit becomes very important to the rebels.”

4. Crixus is being led by his heart. After having Naevia (now played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson) snatched away from him, Crixus is hell-bent on finding her again. “You enter the season with Crixus with a very definite goal, and that is to find Naevia,” Manu Bennett reveals.

5. Agron steps up to the challenge. With Crixus set on finding Naevia, Agron will become very important in the rebellion. “He definitely has a lot of opinions and he kind of develops into Spartie's right hand man,” Dan Feurriegel discloses. “And he's definitely got Spartie's ear. But, just whether or not he gets heard or not is the big thing. But you definitely do learn a lot more about Agron in this upcoming season.”

PHOTOS: Starz's Hollywood Awards Gala

6. Lucretia is alive, but not well. Expect a very dramatic entrance from the former lady of the House of Batiatus on Season 2. She may have survived the slave rebellion, but she’s not necessarily herself. “Lucretia's lost everything,” Lucy Lawless says. “She's even lost her marbles.”

7. Oenomaus is a lone wolf. After being the top dog of the ludis, the character finds himself unable to join the rebels. “I think that's the biggest question he faces as the season starts is not having an affiliation to anyone in particular, not necessarily believing in the cause if there actually was one,” Peter Mensah says. “He has to figure out what to do with his life and it's sort of - so this season is a journey that he undergoes to understand and find a place in the world.”

8. Ilithyia is certainly not in the clear. “This show calmly comes and bites everyone in the a.ss. So, you know, Ilithyia will get her own,” says Viva Bianca. “But there's going to be a real journey for Ilithyia in Season 2, where she's on a roller coaster of just when she thought she's going to break through and reach her dreams, the rug will be pulled from beneath her. And she'll feel like she's falling through the depths of the earth. So it's a real dramatic roller coaster for Ilithyia.”

9. Welcome back, Gannicus. The former champion of Capua who we met in the prequel, Gods of the Arena, will reemerge. “There is another one of loved character called Gannicus [Dustin Clare] that might make a reappearance,” McIntyre teases. “And really mix things up and, again, sort of slinks between the worlds.”

10. Twins present double trouble. “In the Roman world comes these two Seppia [Hanna Mangan Lawrence] and Seppius [Tom Hobbs], a brother and sister duo,” Lawless teases. “And they're a funky little pair and something weird is up with them so keep watching those two. They're going to be trouble one way or another.”

6 years ago '06        #10
space
space

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '08        #11
Ron O'Neal 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,314 | Props total: 1258 1258
1st episode was pretty damn good. gonna take me a min to get used to the new spartacus (RIP Andy) but this season looks like its gonna be dope as fukk.
 6 years ago '05        #12
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
$11,571 | Props total: 148 148
I liked it. I didn't have high hopes, but the new Spartacus does a nice job. He's not as good as the old actor, but he can hold his own.

9. Welcome back, Gannicus. The former champion of Capua who we met in the prequel, Gods of the Arena, will reemerge. “There is another one of loved character called Gannicus [Dustin Clare] that might make a reappearance,” McIntyre teases. “And really mix things up and, again, sort of slinks between the worlds.”
This is good. Gannicus is my favorite character on the show and it'll be interesting to see how they fuse these guys together. Gannicus' character came before Spartacus, but was with Crixius on their season, so Crixius and Gannicus will be friends, but I wonder how Spartacus will get along with him seeing as how Spartacus was 'modeled' after Gannicus by Batiatius.
 6 years ago '09        #13
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,535 | Props total: 3825 3825
spartacus was acting like a real bi*ch a.ss n*gga for the 1st 53 mins...
didn't come to his senses till the very last minute of the show.

am i the only 1 who thinks lucrecia/xena is just acting senile for the moment?
still weird hearing them say "spartacus" & not seeing the OG Spartacus, R.I.P.
 6 years ago '04        #14
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,889 | Props total: 2001 2001
I thought Episode one was mediocre. There was some great scenes but it just didn't seem as good as it used to
 6 years ago '05        #15
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
I understand people liking the old Spartacus, but what was so confusion about the show? It was rather simple to be honest.

Crixius wants to find his girl from last season. Spartacus wants to k!ll the Prater that caused his wife to go into slavery. Crixius wants to go South to find his girl while Spartacus wanted to stay in Capua to k!ll the Prater. Nothing else really happened during that episode story wise.
 6 years ago '06        #16
Jnunez21 
space
space
$1,005 | Props total: 8 8
i thought it was great, liam is def something i need to get used to but damn im not gunna be so quick to judge, it feels like a different story cuz it is, theyre not gladiators anymore.... let the story grow... im sure it will be good
 6 years ago '09        #17
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,535 | Props total: 3825 3825
well i never said it was a bad episode or didn't understand...
just saying spartacus was acting like a fu*king headless chicken early in the episode

anybody who didn't know what was going on just needs to go back & watch the original series, sh*t literally picks up a lil while after, dude a couple posts above me said it perfectly, crixus is looking for his chick, spartacus wants revenge it's not rocket science.

the only off putting thing is that it's a new guy playing spartacus.
 6 years ago '05        #18
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
dont really know how i feel about that first episode,but im glad spartacus is back on though
 6 years ago '04        #19
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,889 | Props total: 2001 2001
Is this the last season? They really can't have this show last much longer
 6 years ago '05        #20
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
 5_star_smitty said:
well i never said it was a bad episode or didn't understand...
just saying spartacus was acting like a fu*king headless chicken early in the episode

anybody who didn't know what was going on just needs to go back & watch the original series, sh*t literally picks up a lil while after, dude a couple posts above me said it perfectly, crixus is looking for his chick, spartacus wants revenge it's not rocket science.

the only off putting thing is that it's a new guy playing spartacus.
yeah, my only problem is the different actor. no homo on this sh*t, but the original spartacus just seemed more gritty and tough whereas the new guy seems kinda sissy.

i'm just waiting for my boy Gannicus to make it back.
Home      

most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now