Jan 19 - Feds shut down file-sharing website Megaupload.com

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
95 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
123 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
94 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
282 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #1
24759 pageviews
300 comments

supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 8 8
Jan 19 - Feds shut down file-sharing website Megaupload.com

[pic - click to view]

One of world's largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, shut down; company workers indicted
McLEAN, Va. – Federal prosecutors in Virginia have shut down one of the world's largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

The indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed Thursday, one day after websites shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Megaupload.com has claimed it is diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

The indictment says at one point, Megaupload was the 13th most popular website in the world.
Read more:
[pic - click to view]

Feds Shut Down File-sharing Website Megaupload.com | Fox News

Magnificent Phoenix said: image

[pic - click to view]

File-Sharing Site Megaupload Shut Down Over Piracy, Execs Indicted
ARTICLE DATE : January 19, 2012
By Chloe Albanesius

One day after an extensive Internet blackout in protest of two pending anti-piracy bills, the Justice Department on Thursday announced that it had charged the owners of Megaupload with online copyright infringement.

Seven people and two corporations—Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited—were indicted by a New York grand jury on Jan. 5 and charged with engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering, and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement. If convicted, those involved face up to 50 years in prison on all charges.

The accused generated more than $175 million and caused more than $1 billion in harm via megaupload.com and other sites, the DOJ said.

The effort was spearheaded by Megaupload Limited founder Kim Dotcom (aka Kim Schmitz or Kim Tim Jim Vestor), a 37-year-old resident of Hong Kong and New Zealand. Dotcom was arrested today in Auckland, along with Megaupload chief marketing officer Finn Batato, co-founder and CTO Mathias Ortmann, and programmer Bram van der Kolk.

Also named in the indictment were graphic designer Julius Bencko, head of business development Sven Echternach, and programmer Andrus Nomm.

More than 20 search warrants were executed in the U.S. and eight other countries today. About $50 million worth of a.ssets and targeted sites where Megaupload has servers as well as 18 domain names were also seized. Megaupload.com is currently offline.

The group is accused of running Web sites that illegally profited from the distribution and reproduction of copyrighted works for more than five years. That content included movies that hit Megaupload before their theatrical releases, as well as music, TV shows, e-books, and entertainment and business software.

Megaupload used a rewards program that provided financial incentives for uploading popular content that drove traffic to the site, the indictment said. "The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicized their links to users throughout the world" according to the DOJ.

Megaupload did not include a search function; the owners used third-party linking sites to publicize content. In violation of the law, Megaupload failed to delete the accounts of those that contained infringing material.

"For example, when notified by a rights holder that a file contained infringing content, the indictment alleges that the conspirators would disable only a single link to the file, deliberately and deceptively leaving the infringing content in place to make it seamlessly available to millions of users to access through any one of the many duplicate links available for that file," the DOJ said.

Celebrity Link?
Not named in the indictment is Kasseem Dean, CEO of Megaupload, who is better known as hip hop producer Swizz Beatz and husband of Alicia Keys. As reported by the New York Post, Beatz asked high-profile friends like Sean "Diddy" Combs, Kanye West, and Will.i.am to participate in a video promoting Megaupload (below), which is not sitting too well with the artists' label, Universal Music Group. Last month, Univeral had YouTube pull the "Mega Song" song, prompting a lawsuit from Megaupload, according to TorrentFreak.

The song has since been reinstated and on the YouTube page for the "Mega Song," Dotcom said the Universal lawsuit highlights why bills like the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) need to be stopped.

Both bills would allow the DOJ to go after overseas, "rogue" Web sites that traffic in counterfeit goods, from DVDs and MP3s to fake purses and prescription drugs. Detractors, however, argue that the bill is too broad and far-reaching and could hurt legitimate sites.

Both sides could likely make a case using today's Megaupload indictment. On the one hand, supporters could say that cases like this are exactly the reason why we need laws like SOPA and PIPA, but opponents could counter with the fact that the DOJ appears to be working fine without them.

[pic - click to view]

File-Sharing Site Megaupload Shut Down Over Piracy, Execs Indicted | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

[pic - click to view]

Megaupload Mega Song - YouTube
 SM said: image

WASHINGTON--The Federal Bureau of Investigation moved against a group of suspected online pirates Thursday, targeting the popular file-sharing website megaupload.com a day after Washington lawmakers were besieged by complaints about legislation designed to crack down on the online sharing of pirated copies of music, movies and other material, people familiar with the matter said.

Investigators said there was no connection between arrests in their two-year investigation and the political firestorm that erupted this week over a pending vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Seven people have been charged with online piracy crimes in an indictment unsealed in northern Virginia. Four of those suspects are already in custody, authorities said.

The four were arrested in New Zealand. Federal agents and other law enforcement agencies simultaneously moved to search bank records and server farms in multiple locations around the globe, authorities said. The charges include conspiracy to commit racketeering and criminal copyright infringement.

MegaUpload.com is already engaged in a legal f!ght with Universal Music Group over a promotional video featuring some UMG artists.

[pic - click to view]

FBI Charges Seven With Online Piracy - WSJ.com

Last edited by supervillain; 01-19-2012 at 03:29 PM..

300 comments for "Jan 19 - Feds shut down file-sharing website Megaupload.com"

6 years ago '06        #2
SM 38189 heat pts38189
space
space
$127,973 | Props total: 67559 67559

WASHINGTON--The Federal Bureau of Investigation moved against a group of suspected online pirates Thursday, targeting the popular file-sharing website megaupload.com a day after Washington lawmakers were besieged by complaints about legislation designed to crack down on the online sharing of pirated copies of music, movies and other material, people familiar with the matter said.

Investigators said there was no connection between arrests in their two-year investigation and the political firestorm that erupted this week over a pending vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Seven people have been charged with online piracy crimes in an indictment unsealed in northern Virginia. Four of those suspects are already in custody, authorities said.

The four were arrested in New Zealand. Federal agents and other law enforcement agencies simultaneously moved to search bank records and server farms in multiple locations around the globe, authorities said. The charges include conspiracy to commit racketeering and criminal copyright infringement.

MegaUpload.com is already engaged in a legal f!ght with Universal Music Group over a promotional video featuring some UMG artists.

01-19-2012, 01:59 PM         #3
AKS MUZIK 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o
 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM         #4
AKS MUZIK 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo
 6 years ago '04        #5
AER987 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,283 | Props total: 311 311
Whats megaupload?
 6 years ago '05        #6
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
$8,870 | Props total: 4 4

They were always fast with taking down pirated sh*t though...

Too bad there's 100s of other sites like this. Ain't gonna slow me down
 6 years ago '04        #7
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
file sharing websites are like those Chinese bus companies they closed now but will open up in a few days under a new name....lol
 6 years ago '05        #8
kingpin222 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,691 | Props total: 2235 2235
megaupload? for sharing things other than school projects and important work documents? who would dare !
 6 years ago '04        #9
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 320 320
fu*k!!!!!!!!! I had a premium account! Oh well, whats the other one the kids use these days...fileserve? Mediafire? Rapidshare? Wupload?

They ain't stopping me. I'll just pick a new one

Last edited by MochaWhitey; 01-19-2012 at 02:52 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #10
A~team 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,778 | Props total: 1590 1590
feds proly watchin dis joint sh*ts gettin real r.i.p megaupload
 6 years ago '06        #11
Malcolm 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,129 | Props total: 1204 1204
fu*k up
 6 years ago '06        #12
lilRick954 
space
space
$663 | Props total: 1 1
Damn wasn't expecting this....Good thing I didn't renew.
 6 years ago '08        #13
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
 MochaWhitey said:
fu*k!!!!!!!!! I had a premium account! Oh well, whats the other one the kids use these days...fileserve? Mediafire? Rapidshare? Wupload?

They ain't stopping me. I'll just pick a new one
i just reupped mine last week.
 6 years ago '04        #14
jumpman2304 25 heat pts25
space
space
$14,400 | Props total: 3883 3883
wowwwwwwwwwww
 6 years ago '04        #15
space
space
isnt this what swizz beatz is CEO of???

Megaupload Shut Down by Federal Prosecutors; Swizz Beatz Unmasked as File-Sharing Site's CEO

f you thought yesterday's online protests of the Stop Online Piracy Act were going to deter anyone from stopping online piracy, you were definitely wrong. Just this afternoon one of the biggest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, has been shut down following a federal indictment that allegest the services encourages online piracy.

The a.ssociated Press reports:

The indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed Thursday, one day after websites shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Before the site's was shut down this afternoon, Megaupload made news this morning when the New York Post alleged that CEO Swizz Beatz got some of his famous friends, including Sean "Diddy" Combs, Kanye West, and Will.i.am to promote his service in a video uploaded to YouTube last month.

But after the starry promo appeared on YouTube last month, Diddy, Kanye and Will.i.am’s label, Universal Music Group, issued a “take-down notice” to YouTube, saying the artists’ performances were unauthorized. Their individual reps followed up, sources say. Mega-Upload fired back with a lawsuit against Universal to stop it from blocking distribution of the video. A Mega rep told us: “We have never received any word that any artist has [individually] filed a take-down . . . [we have] legally binding agreements with the performers that appear in the video..."
 6 years ago '04        #16
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2650 2650
fu*king explains why my season 4 of Parks and Recs wasn't loading up a few hours ago.
 6 years ago '04        #17
space
space
getting fu*ked up man... god damn.
 6 years ago '06        #18
gathugga 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,219 | Props total: 686 686
Damn , I hadn't been paying much attention to the steps taken to curb online piracy lately but I knew a decent site with a lot of megaupload links

*Insert "Sh*t Just Got Real" gif here*

Last edited by gathugga; 01-19-2012 at 03:03 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #19
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
I'm kind of surprised. I thought the majority of uploaders moved off of Megaupload over the past few years.
 6 years ago '08        #20
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
 KURUPTION!!! said:
I'm kind of surprised. I thought the majority of uploaders moved off of Megaupload over the past few years.
they did but we still have some good uploaders who still used MU heavy, just for those who stayed..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
98 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
64 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy