Jan 18 - Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - The Alabama Special Election Live
267 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
223 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
86 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM         #1
6169 pageviews
69 comments

GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jan 18 - Obama Says So Long SOPA, k!lling Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

[pic - click to view]

The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today. With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like Major League Gaming prepared for a blackout on January 18th – the same day that the House Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington, DC – President Barack Obama has stepped in and said he would not support the bill.

SOPA has been delayed, for now. The House has agreed to revisit the issue next month, but they now know the White House will veto any bill that’s not more narrowly focused.

Much to the chagrin of Hollywood, the Entertainment Software a.ssociation (which has been a backer of the bill from early on), and Internet domain company GoDaddy.com (which lost many accounts as a result of its support for the bill); SOPA has been shelved. The Motion Picture a.ssociation of America, one of the bill’s largest sponsors, is expected to regroup.

California congressman Darrell Issa, who has been opposed to the bill from the beginning, praised the Internet action that has swept like a virus across the Web the past week.
The Story of SOPA, So Far Bruce Upbin Bruce Upbin Forbes Staff
The Web Speaks Against SOPA and PIPA David M. Ewalt David M. Ewalt Forbes Staff
What Are SOPA and PIPA And Why All The Fuss? Larry Magid Larry Magid Contributor

“The voice of the Internet community has been heard,” said Issa. “Much more education for members of Congress about the workings of the Internet is essential if anti-piracy legislation is to be workable and achieve broad appeal.”

But there remains another similar bill, Protect IP (the Enforcing and Protecting American Rights Against Sites Intent on Theft and Exploitation Act), that poses a problem for gamers and Internet users. This legislation is scheduled to go before the Senate on January 24th.

Both SOPA and Protect IP attempt to combat online piracy by preventing American search engines like Google and Yahoo from directing users to sites distributing stolen content. Both bills also would enable people and companies to sue if their copyright was infringed. Obama has come out against both bills, which k!lled SOPA and puts pressure on senators come January 24th. The full White House response can be read here.

“Any provision covering Internet intermediaries such as online advertising networks, payment processors, or search engines must be transparent and designed to prevent overly broad private rights of action that could encourage unjustified litigation that could discourage startup businesses and innovative firms from growing,” said The White House. “We expect and encourage all private parties, including both content creators and Internet platform providers working together, to adopt voluntary measures and best practices to reduce online piracy.”

Just like piracy itself, this debate isn’t over. Expect more bills to move forward, although the wording in future legislation is expected to be more narrowly focused in an attempt to appease the current administration. But given the current economic climate and the upcoming Presidential election, there could be a different administration entering The White House soon, changing the landscape for these types of bills.

[pic - click to view]

Obama Says So Long SOPA, k!lling Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation - Forbes

Last edited by GOD999; 01-18-2012 at 04:34 PM..

69 comments for "Jan 18 - Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation"

6 years ago '04        #2
DERRTY CHYBO 12 heat pts12
space
space
$11,716 | Props total: 787 787
I'll believe it when it happens.
 6 years ago '05        #3
bi0 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,590 | Props total: 1149 1149
#ObamaSwag :cool-smiley-009:
 6 years ago '05        #4
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2621 2621
my man wants that second term don't he. what a great strategy. can't wait to see what happens next but I have a few guesses.
 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM         #5
GOD999  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DERRTY CHYBO said:
I'll believe it when it happens.
I'm sure somehow more and more folks will get aware the fu*k now after this seeing how fast this news spreading (Craigslist, sh*t even on other boards) I'm all in favor for this sh*t to get beat.

But at the same time that still don't change the fact that NDAA bill went thru....but we'll see how that's going to pan out.
 6 years ago '10        #6
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,280 | Props total: 23786 23786
thumbs up b.o.b :applause:
 6 years ago '05        #7
bi0 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,590 | Props total: 1149 1149
i bet they still pass some sort of bill since congress gives 2 fu*ks about public opinion when their pockets are getting lined with cash..
 6 years ago '07        #8
Ham Rove 3510 heat pts3510
space
space
$55,206 | Props total: 19862 19862
I'm wary to commend Obama since he can just as fast turn around and do something sh*tty, but this has been a good day for him, sticking to his guns on SOPA and the Pipeline
 6 years ago '11        #9
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
Thank you sir...
 6 years ago '06        #10
JCSIII 72 heat pts72
space
space
$6,990 | Props total: 144 144
My President.
 6 years ago '10        #11
vuser88 28 heat pts28
space
space
$2,054 | Props total: 315 315
hes bringing out the big gunz
 6 years ago '04        #12
young_al 
space
space
$1,385 | Props total: 88 88
Take that bill and shove it back up the patsy old white as*hole who tried to create it. Keep the internet free!

no internet + global depression = angry youth in revolt!
 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM         #13
bxrulez  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dudes aint seeing this sh*t for what it is.....this just a decoy thing...they wuz never gona ban sh*t, all to make Obama look good and guarantee that win. Internet is not a threat to anything....they gota make sure Obama a "black" prez is in office when the USA sees its worst times ever dont they? Lol nigas dont see whats going on though.
 6 years ago '04        #14
jillas31 
space
space
space
$1,582 | Props total: 25 25
I GUARANTEE that a SOPA/PIPA like bill passes congress within two years. This is just a front to get attention off the situation. They will come back and say that it was "revised" and made "better", but it will be the same ol sh*t.

SOPA is sadly inevitable.....WAKE UP YOUNGINS, your government does NOTHING in your best interest. I had so much hope for our country when he got elected, but it has become all too clear that there are more powerful people out there running things (behind the scenes). And it is not even a question anymore.
 6 years ago '04        #15
W24x55 50 heat pts50
space
space
$12,340 | Props total: 11061 11061
he's still a sh*t president
 6 years ago '04        #16
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,406 | Props total: 678 678
Cant hate that... and yall need to stop blaming a sh*tty system on a sh*tty president... Bush or Obama
 6 years ago '04        #17
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
 dat_boi_tj said:
Cant hate that... and yall need to stop blaming a sh*tty system on a sh*tty president... Bush or Obama
they cant, people actually think the president have power........
 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM         #18
tj.iscool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jlandryst said:
they cant, people actually think the president have power........
this...people act like presidents have the power to do any & everything
 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM         #19
cheguevara  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thats my president
 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM         #20
GOD999  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jillas31 said:
I GUARANTEE that a SOPA/PIPA like bill passes congress within two years. This is just a front to get attention off the situation. They will come back and say that it was "revised" and made "better", but it will be the same ol sh*t.

SOPA is sadly inevitable.....WAKE UP YOUNGINS, your government does NOTHING in your best interest. I had so much hope for our country when he got elected, but it has become all too clear that there are more powerful people out there running things (behind the scenes). And it is not even a question anymore.
I've been known about the gov wanting full control of the net, they already tapped enough phone lines as is over the last decade, moreso since 9/11 so it's not too surprising this kind of sh*t happened....Plus I remember reading an article yrs ago that was rumoring that the Obama Administration was considering putting that kind of bill thru, but I see what happened yestarday as the re-visit of that.

But at the same time, ppl that put their complete personal biz on the net (Worldstar, Youtube facebook etc) so much are asking for whatever will or at least could happen to them. I'll still say whatever I want, but ppl always gotta remember, SOPA or not.. Feds, police and the undercovers are still online lurking, mayne.

Last edited by GOD999; 01-19-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
47 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
45 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
219 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
323 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
60 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
151 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
146 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
193 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy