LL Cool J Says Today’s Radio Makes you want to “Throw up”… Disses the New Headphones Trends

most viewed right now
 50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
124 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NBA ALL Nike "City" Uniforms Leaked via 2K
40 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
150 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 Video inside Boxden NY will be upset! Cardi B bought offset a wraith. Let the hate b..
10 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #41
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,875 | Props total: 17402 17402
Radio is like this section on BX.....95% garbage music topics
 6 years ago '06        #42
Southern_Boi 
space
space
$2,761 | Props total: 1 1
I feel him but this n*gga is the original simp. Drake gone redo "I need love" on his next album
 6 years ago '04        #43
dj_tameil 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,563 | Props total: 92 92
 abstractq said:
dont matter whether radio been sh*t lately or not to be honest. . .LL aint coming with nothing revolutionary by saying this

Fact is, he was near the forefront while all these changes in radio were going down and he didnt have sh*t to say then, and he profited from it immensely, so he should shut his mouth now

Clear Channel been taking over radio since the late 90s, controlling playlists and shutting n*ggas out of that outlet. . .
Do u honestly think a n*gga who has had hits on the radio for OVER 20 years gives a fu*k about being hot on the radio anymore? I mean, seriously... gtfoh with that! LL is paid forever... and is still getting paid from his older albums as well as making movie money and everything else. He doesnt give a fu*k. He sees it the same way we do. I'm a dj and I hate listening to the radio because all they play is the same sh*t over and over again that all these fake a.ss wannabe djs go and pick up for their sets because thats all they figure u gotta do nowadays... listen to the radio for a half hour and u have every fake a.ss dj's playlist. They all play the same sh*t in the same order. fu*k what any non-music knowing person out there is talking about. Music has gone downhill and gotten its worst after 2005 passed. I dont agree with everything LL does but he's absolutely correct on this one. Why do u think u only hear like 9 different artists right now that are on every single song or remix that the radio plays... and all of the tracks are produced by the same 5 producers?
 6 years ago '04        #44
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,562 | Props total: 2834 2834
 dj_tameil said:
Do u honestly think a n*gga who has had hits on the radio for OVER 20 years gives a fu*k about being hot on the radio anymore? I mean, seriously... gtfoh with that! LL is paid forever... and is still getting paid from his older albums as well as making movie money and everything else. He doesnt give a fu*k. He sees it the same way we do. I'm a dj and I hate listening to the radio because all they play is the same sh*t over and over again that all these fake a.ss wannabe djs go and pick up for their sets because thats all they figure u gotta do nowadays... listen to the radio for a half hour and u have every fake a.ss dj's playlist. They all play the same sh*t in the same order. fu*k what any non-music knowing person out there is talking about. Music has gone downhill and gotten its worst after 2005 passed. I dont agree with everything LL does but he's absolutely correct on this one. Why do u think u only hear like 9 different artists right now that are on every single song or remix that the radio plays... and all of the tracks are produced by the same 5 producers?

My point is. . .where was he speaking on this issue when it was HIM that was being shoved into radio listeners ears?

like I said.. . this trend been going on since the late 90s with clear channel. Alot of big name DJs like Premo was being let go from stations like Hot 97 for not playing what the program list was. This was like 98-00 when all this was going down.

Meanwhile LL happy as fu*k releasing bullsh*t like Headsprung and Phenomenon to get them spins

How you gonna come up through a system, make money off it, then when its done with you, turn around and sh*t on it?
 6 years ago '04        #45
SeanP 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,329 | Props total: 298 298
Hatin' on LL? Blasphemy! Blasphemy! BLASPHEMY!

Same people who are responsible for buying all this disposable music are just as wrong as the radio programmers...

It is kind of ironic that one of his first and biggest hits was "Radio"

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #46
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
 Blacknitro said:
SMH at ppl sayin it's been goin on since the late 90s. GTFOH. This sh*t been goin on since the 60s at the latest. sh*t went on when LL Cool J was at the forefront of bubble gum rap. The sh*t is NOT new. There's just more bubble gum rappers than ever so it's more annoying.
telecommunications act passed in 1996 breh

the deregulation there changed payola and consolidation of radio stations. . .

Before that a company wasnt allowed to own more than 4 stations in any given area

do the knowledge. . .
 6 years ago '04        #47
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,754 | Props total: 1572 1572
 ondatpurple said:
cosign

LL sound like the old heads that was hating on his movement when rap started gettin more popular than r&b and funk in the late 80s/early 90s

rap music has been heavily commercialized and watered down for the past 15 years. but when he was putting out hits like headsprung and luv u better, he had no problem with the radio formula
But when he was doing songs like luv u better the radio was still playing dope sh*t too, breathe was on the radio, what we do is wrong, songs where cats were still going in radio is completely detached from that now and its k!lling the genre its never been as bad as it is now.
 6 years ago '06        #48
mrep3 39 heat pts39
space
space
$5,852 | Props total: 6045 6045
 servesurite said:
I haven't listened to the radio since '04
#fixed
 6 years ago '04        #49
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
 Blacknitro said:
And do your knowledge on the history of payola. Clear Channel takeover is just a new chapter.

There's a whole lot more than that, but I got other sh*t to do than research all they. Maybe later on I'll post some more, when I got time. But payola been goin on in undetectable ways such as advertising.

Billboard use to go off record sales that the stores/labels reported before soundscan, which is why certain artists, like PE and NWA don't look so successful in 1988/89, but they all of the sudden look like the sh*t in the early 90s, bcuz b4 the 90s, the numbers were largely fake so alot of artists were gettin screwed out of their proper billboard position drastically.

point being it is a NEW chapter

as in. . .this is something NEW. The whole idea of their being NO options because one company owns and programs every station is a new concept

and it started in the late 90s

like i said. . .
 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM         #50
freakbucket 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i really need to fu*k a white cougar.
 6 years ago '06        #51
DonYBE 3 heat pts
space
space
$3,986 | Props total: 1952 1952
He's definitely speaking the truth. I don't listen to radio AT ALL for the simple fact we hearing the same handful of artists EVERY SINGLE HOUR. These days everyone is trying to sound the same, but it's not their fault. Blame the corporation for forcing it down the throat of the people, telling us what's hot and what's not. The lack of diversity is sickening. With every "Round The Way Girl" song we would hear, we would also hear Outkast "Southernplayalistc", as well as Bone Thugs, Biggie, Tupac, Public Enemy, etc. Even further down the line, we would hear Three 6 Mafia, Da Brat, Master P, etc. It was DEFINITELY diverse, now it's not like that. It's bittersweet, I'm glad to see hip hop at the forefront, but it's sad that the lack of artists from different diversities, everyone just sounds the same, no real standouts......
 6 years ago '04        #52
JacmanPones 24 heat pts24
space
space
$3,155 | Props total: 612 612
holy sh*t...

GIF at :35 - :38

epic LL Cool J lickin his lips at the ladies
 6 years ago '04        #53
dj_tameil 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,563 | Props total: 92 92
 abstractq said:
My point is. . .where was he speaking on this issue when it was HIM that was being shoved into radio listeners ears?

like I said.. . this trend been going on since the late 90s with clear channel. Alot of big name DJs like Premo was being let go from stations like Hot 97 for not playing what the program list was. This was like 98-00 when all this was going down.

Meanwhile LL happy as fu*k releasing bullsh*t like Headsprung and Phenomenon to get them spins

How you gonna come up through a system, make money off it, then when its done with you, turn around and sh*t on it?
LL was doing the same thing he's been doing since the start of his career. He made hardcore songs for n*ggas as well as he made songs for the ladies... but also made music that both could dance to with beats sampled from old school R&B songs that he & his audiences grew up on which was exactly what Phenomenon was. If u dont know anything about that then u need to do research. Those songs were his back then and he made songs sampling the that people could relate to which is the reason why djs like Funkmaster Flex, Mister Cee, Kid Capri, Tony Touch & so many others on the radio kept spinning them joints. Hip Hop radio aint the only stations out there homie. If you're an artist then you're happy as hell when your music can be played by teens & children as well as played by 21-25 & older and keep all crowds moving. U have stations like WBLS & KISS FM that dont really play hip hop but would play his music because it also catered to their crowds. LL didnt do anything different than he always did and he managed to keep selling records and keeping records on the top of the charts for over 20 years. Not too many hip hop artists can say they have done that.
 6 years ago '04        #54
bigdog232 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,021 | Props total: 390 390
n***as acting like he aint tellin the truth and just hatin... #n***as...
 6 years ago '04        #55
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,754 | Props total: 1572 1572
 Blacknitro said:
The only reason they were still playin dope sh*t is bcuz they had to. There weren't half as many bubble gum rappers back then. LL, Biggie, Pac, etc where the only ones consistently making records for the billboard charts. Other artists were into "keepin it real" (PE, NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Geto Boys, Scarface, Snoop, Dre, Bone Thugs, Too Short, Outkast, Tribe Called Quest, Juvenile, BG, Digable Planets etc.). Since this century rolled in NOBODY gives a fucc about "keepin it real" so EVERYONE is LL Cool J, 2pac and Biggie. Everyone is tryin to maximize their sales/chart spot with love/s3xual songs.
I'm not talkin about the 90's I'm talking about early 00's like 01-03 they were still playing dope sh*t on the radio too along with the bubblegum sh*t now its not like everything is straight programmed with contrived garbage even the doper artist are forced to make certain type of records to get radio spins......
 6 years ago '07        #56
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,414 | Props total: 16128 16128
the best way to hypnotize is through repetition....heavy rotation
 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM         #57
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good interview. Wasn't nothing new I haven't heard before about the radio, but he did have a point about the music being geared to hella 14+ yrs old. It's just that the genre's getting younger and younger content wise on the major scale.

even ten yrs ago the radio was already at that point playing the same ish back to back.
 6 years ago '08        #58
yungsavage05 
space
space
space
$675 | Props total: 1 1
 abstractq said:
LL just mad that the Radio today dont accept him

cause to be honest he used to always be at the forefront of copying whatever was trendy to stay hot
hpw old r u?
 6 years ago '04        #59
Ace2125 25 heat pts25
space
space
$5,325 | Props total: 512 512
 ondatpurple said:
cosign

LL sound like the old heads that was hating on his movement when rap started gettin more popular than r&b and funk in the late 80s/early 90s

rap music has been heavily commercialized and watered down for the past 15 years. but when he was putting out hits like headsprung and luv u better, he had no problem with the radio formula
you sound like a young frog that jumps to anything, ll been on the radio as long as i been living i tell you real n*ggas is dead b because when a n*gga speak the truth hes a hater but when hes going along with this fake sh*t he positive stop it b. there is a small comfort zone for real n*ggas
 6 years ago '07        #60
tacuna 320 12 heat pts12
space
space
$4,124 | Props total: 1350 1350
 servesurite said:
radio aint been sh*t since '04
:agreement6::agreement6::agreement6: radio before 05 >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
69 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
195 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
79 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
22 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
216 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
50 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
59 comments
1 day ago