how do i become a help desk specialist? continuence from my other thread.

most viewed right now
 115
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
112 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 100
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
60 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
 84
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
97 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 63
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
58 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
7765 pageviews
44 comments


991 26 heat pts26
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
how do i become a help desk specialist? continuence from my other thread.
 

 
Ok guys I have a slave job and I'm fed up, I want out. I made another thread concerning how to get into an IT career. I was suggested to start out as a help desk specialist.

I need a blueprint to follow. What school can I go to? What cert do I start with? Please help me IT guys. I'm tired of being broke and physically drained. Be as specific as possible so I can get the best idea. Thanks

44 comments for "how do i become a help desk specialist? continuence from my other thread."

 6 years ago '04        #2
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
avatar space
space
$15,097 | Props total: 4108 4108
Well the starter certs would be A+, Network+ and Security+ all by CompTIA. A+ will get your foot in the door for the most part. It also depends on where you live though. Some places demand much more just for help desk, some demand nothing, but you have to see if there is much demand for IT in your area. You can also start off as a PC Technician.

As far as the blueprint, there is no true blueprint. We can give advice depending on what area of IT you want to settle into though. Do you want to go into networking, security or database management?
 6 years ago '06        #3
991 26 heat pts26 OP
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
 nitetrain8601 said:
Well the starter certs would be A+, Network+ and Security+ all by CompTIA. A+ will get your foot in the door for the most part. It also depends on where you live though. Some places demand much more just for help desk, some demand nothing, but you have to see if there is much demand for IT in your area. You can also start off as a PC Technician.

As far as the blueprint, there is no true blueprint. We can give advice depending on what area of IT you want to settle into though. Do you want to go into networking, security or database management?
Do you have a suggestion where I can get these certs? All by comptia? Sorry but I don't understand what that even stands for. Networking security or database? Honestly I have no clue. Sorry I'm not helping. At this point I just want to do anything and get out of my "slave" job. Maybe I should talk to a counselor dang idk. Ahh
 01-02-2012, 02:01 AM         #4
tonyk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
become indian?
 6 years ago '10        #5
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$9,238 | Props total: 1285 1285
 991 said:
Ok guys I have a slave job and I'm fed up, I want out. I made another thread concerning how to get into an IT career. I was suggested to start out as a help desk specialist.

I need a blueprint to follow. What school can I go to? What cert do I start with? Please help me IT guys. I'm tired of being broke and physically drained. Be as specific as possible so I can get the best idea. Thanks


Depending on which focus you take you get your Bachelor's and about 8 or so industry leading certs. Ranging from Cisco to Comptia to CIW. You can do it all from home and at YOUR pace. They have about 40k students and they are a non profit college and this education model is growing fast.

All of them give the A+ Network+ as the basics then the certs you get very from there by which degree you get.


No matter what though, it will be tough to land your first job with no previous experience, but if you live in a decent area you will find somebody who will give you a shot to start once you have a few certs under your belt.
 6 years ago '10        #6
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$9,238 | Props total: 1285 1285
 991 said:
Do you have a suggestion where I can get these certs? All by comptia? Sorry but I don't understand what that even stands for. Networking security or database? Honestly I have no clue. Sorry I'm not helping. At this point I just want to do anything and get out of my "slave" job. Maybe I should talk to a counselor dang idk. Ahh
Anyting with a + after it, is Comptia.

You will take the cert at any Pearson or Prometric testing center in your area.
 6 years ago '04        #7
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
avatar space
space
$15,097 | Props total: 4108 4108
 991 said:
Do you have a suggestion where I can get these certs? All by comptia? Sorry but I don't understand what that even stands for. Networking security or database? Honestly I have no clue. Sorry I'm not helping. At this point I just want to do anything and get out of my "slave" job. Maybe I should talk to a counselor dang idk. Ahh


And you don't necessarily need certs or a degree to get in the field, but if you wanna advance you do. I didn't have neither and I got in the field, but I was already going to school for it.
 6 years ago '04        #8
x Tha Arkitek x 59 heat pts59
space
avatar space
space
$18,673 | Props total: 6809 6809
A degree isn't needed for help desk work, but you'll want one if you want to move up in the IT field. A+ certification isn't either, but I would recommend getting A+ for someone with no professional IT experience. The certification is 2 exams and will cost around $350 for both of them. Usually HR hiring help desk would at least like you to have professional experience with customer service if you don't have any IT experience.
 6 years ago '04        #9
Shizz|M 
space
avatar space
space
$7,363 | Props total: 225 225
HOnestly if you have no idea what the field intels then you are shot from the beginning.. Ive been in this field for the past 20 years and im only 29. Ive been messing around with computers since they came public and ive learned hands on by trial an era. Then gained more and more knowledge about it as the years went on.. I built my first computer from scratch when i was about 11-12 and they thing (at the time was a beast). I remember my parents buying us a PACKARD BELL computer that was top of the line then that cost them $1,400 and the computer that i built about 3 years later only cost me about $500.

i learned all teh software that came with it or could be possible used with it and grew. There is so many avenues that you have to cover when trying to get into this field and its not just hardware that half of it, software that makes the hareware work is a nother part that you NEED to know about. which everyone tends to leave out altogether.

if you are requesting a step by step process on what is what and how you do something in an IT field. You will NEVR get anywhere..

Troubleshooting is the MAIN thing in this field.. With out help
 6 years ago '05        #10
Cory Collins 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$1,573 | Props total: 2 2
I went to my local community college and took 4 semesters that included classes on hardware and software. I got my A++ and took 4 CSNT courses on CCNA and the OSI model, and the 7 layers of it and how the internet is constructed, and how information is sent from source to destination .. they teach you how to use Cisco routers, switches, hubs, crossover cables, hyper terminal, vpns, virtual machines, windows server, all this other stuff, etc, and then I studied and took my CCNA certification testing which I really had to study for awhile sh*t wasent to easy, I had to do alot of labs with this software called packet tracer.

Go for your A++ first ... don't waste any time on the other BS ... it's to advance off the bat IF you don't have much prior comp knowledge, once you get that .. move on to networking if you find the other stuff interesting then go for your CCNA through Cisco ... then move on for your security / CCNP cert ... once you move into the network field you pretty much need the security cert because of pen testing/auditing you'll have to if you ever get a real big wig job.

Your local community college should have all this avali in their applied science program.








hope this helps, sorry for the choppy typin just woke up ** and what all these guys said above is true ... if you don't have a lifestyle of computers ... you prolly wont ever get it ... I'm 26 and I live computers ... I've been neck deep in them since I was 13.**


Last edited by Cory Collins; 01-03-2012 at 02:14 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #11
big jeffrey 
space
avatar space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 359 359
I used to be a help desk specialist, I had to troubleshoot websites for a web hosting company

I only had/have an a.ssociates degree. Its really all hands on stuff so if you wanna get good with computers you need to try your hand at some, or start trying to fix your own. basically anything now a days you can type in google and get good information as to how to fix something or how someone else fixed the issue they were having.

for jobs, try dice.com

or craigslist. youll find plenty of technology jobs.

where do you live anyway?

some jobs may allow you to work from home, some may be in a call center type of enviroment
 6 years ago '04        #12
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1466 1466
 rek0nize said:


Depending on which focus you take you get your Bachelor's and about 8 or so industry leading certs. Ranging from Cisco to Comptia to CIW. You can do it all from home and at YOUR pace. They have about 40k students and they are a non profit college and this education model is growing fast.

All of them give the A+ Network+ as the basics then the certs you get very from there by which degree you get.


No matter what though, it will be tough to land your first job with no previous experience, but if you live in a decent area you will find somebody who will give you a shot to start once you have a few certs under your belt.
This man is on point. Best decision of your life, if your committed to IT. You will get your certs and Bachelor's and best of all its somewhat known to a lot of employers and its self paced (meaning people have finished in 1 year or 2 years (only have to pay for 2 years instead of 4 years is huge).

Your second step is to move somewhere where IT is popping and good cost of living. I see a lot of people getting stuck in bad positions due to IT not being that available in areas. Generally you want to start with help desk specialist small time job for a year and take that experience and move up to something else. In the meantime always keep yourself abrea$t of new technology and keep learning more even outside of work.

As far as certs go its generally good to have a few, I have seen people stack certs and either have no experience or stack certs and not receive any benefits.

Lastly, the most important part is being able to understand leadership and business skills, most IT people only speak in technical language and do not understand business, and it usually leads them to not getting top senior level positions.

Do your research heavy, before you get into IT, it is an extremely challenge with ups and downs (people a lot of times just think working with computers are installing software and scanning for viruses or fixing printers) when its that plus 1000 million other things.
 6 years ago '08        #13
iPunish901 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$13,358 | Props total: 272 272
 egotistical said:
This man is on point. Best decision of your life, if your committed to IT. You will get your certs and Bachelor's and best of all its somewhat known to a lot of employers and its self paced (meaning people have finished in 1 year or 2 years (only have to pay for 2 years instead of 4 years is huge).

Your second step is to move somewhere where IT is popping and good cost of living. I see a lot of people getting stuck in bad positions due to IT not being that available in areas. Generally you want to start with help desk specialist small time job for a year and take that experience and move up to something else. In the meantime always keep yourself abrea$t of new technology and keep learning more even outside of work.

As far as certs go its generally good to have a few, I have seen people stack certs and either have no experience or stack certs and not receive any benefits.

Lastly, the most important part is being able to understand leadership and business skills, most IT people only speak in technical language and do not understand business, and it usually leads them to not getting top senior level positions.

Do your research heavy, before you get into IT, it is an extremely challenge with ups and downs (people a lot of times just think working with computers are installing software and scanning for viruses or fixing printers) when its that plus 1000 million other things.
the bolded part is so true, i work with some extremely smart people, but they in no way belong in top level positions. their people skills are beyond bad. but, A+ cert only can get you into the door on most level 1 positions. i used to see so many level 1 positions that only required A+ or Network+ cert. i dont even have that at the present moment. and i was able to get on at fedex, but i do have a degree


there was another forum i use to visit frequently back when i was going to get all my certs. they laid out a pretty good gameplan. it was like

A+
Network+
Security+

then

get the basic microsoft certs.

then you should know in what direction you want to head


Last edited by iPunish901; 01-04-2012 at 12:33 AM..
 6 years ago '06        #14
991 26 heat pts26 OP
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
 iPunish901 said:
the bolded part is so true, i work with some extremely smart people, but they in no way belong in top level positions. their people skills are beyond bad. but, A+ cert only can get you into the door on most level 1 positions. i used to see so many level 1 positions that only required A+ or Network+ cert. i dont even have that at the present moment. and i was able to get on at fedex, but i do have a degree


there was another forum i use to visit frequently back when i was going to get all my certs. they laid out a pretty good gameplan. it was like

A+
Network+
Security+

then

get the basic microsoft certs.

then you should know in what direction you want to head
Wow so many informative responses. Thanks guys. Just a warning I might get annoying with lots of questions. But I honestly appreciate you guys help. I do.

As far as my knowledge of computers. I'm ok. Just experiencing things from using computers. I can reformat windows and install drivers. Install memory. I setup my moms home network. I understand computer specs. of course that's nothing to what you guys know, but I'm pretty sure I will "get it" u know what I mean? I like computers.

Anyways, so I'm taking it my 1st step is to get my a+ cert to start. Right guys? And for the dude who asked me my location. I'm in memphis tn. Keep the comments and tips coming.
 6 years ago '06        #15
991 26 heat pts26 OP
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
 rek0nize said:


Depending on which focus you take you get your Bachelor's and about 8 or so industry leading certs. Ranging from Cisco to Comptia to CIW. You can do it all from home and at YOUR pace. They have about 40k students and they are a non profit college and this education model is growing fast.

All of them give the A+ Network+ as the basics then the certs you get very from there by which degree you get.


No matter what though, it will be tough to land your first job with no previous experience, but if you live in a decent area you will find somebody who will give you a shot to start once you have a few certs under your belt.
Excuse me if I sound ignorant but which do I start with on the link you sent me? Y'all are saying a+ to start with but I don't even see it listed like that. Again my bad if I'm makin myself look dumb.
 6 years ago '04        #16
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1466 1466
 991 said:
Wow so many informative responses. Thanks guys. Just a warning I might get annoying with lots of questions. But I honestly appreciate you guys help. I do.

As far as my knowledge of computers. I'm ok. Just experiencing things from using computers. I can reformat windows and install drivers. Install memory. I setup my moms home network. I understand computer specs. of course that's nothing to what you guys know, but I'm pretty sure I will "get it" u know what I mean? I like computers.

Anyways, so I'm taking it my 1st step is to get my a+ cert to start. Right guys? And for the dude who asked me my location. I'm in memphis tn. Keep the comments and tips coming.
You need to see which route you want to go. Generally, your certs should follow your route of career choice. Do you want to do security, database, programming, network? As far as the degree plan for WGU it should follow your career path.

If I were you I would get a help desk job or maybe anything computer related job or internship (even if it is free) right now. Then go ahead and enroll in WGU do that get your degree by that time, it should be about a year 2 or 3 depend on how you grind. Then you should be able to translate into the next role easily by then.
 6 years ago '06        #17
991 26 heat pts26 OP
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
 egotistical said:
You need to see which route you want to go. Generally, your certs should follow your route of career choice. Do you want to do security, database, programming, network? As far as the degree plan for WGU it should follow your career path.

If I were you I would get a help desk job or maybe anything computer related job or internship (even if it is free) right now. Then go ahead and enroll in WGU do that get your degree by that time, it should be about a year 2 or 3 depend on how you grind. Then you should be able to translate into the next role easily by then.
I guess the problem of not knowing which path I want is I don't know what is involved with each path. Programming is a no I'm sure since its dealing with numbers etc so I a.ssume.the other ones listed I don't know what all is involved. Ps u think I can get a help desk job without any certs? That's possible?
 6 years ago '04        #18
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1466 1466
 iPunish901 said:
the bolded part is so true, i work with some extremely smart people, but they in no way belong in top level positions. their people skills are beyond bad. but, A+ cert only can get you into the door on most level 1 positions. i used to see so many level 1 positions that only required A+ or Network+ cert. i dont even have that at the present moment. and i was able to get on at fedex, but i do have a degree


there was another forum i use to visit frequently back when i was going to get all my certs. they laid out a pretty good gameplan. it was like

A+
Network+
Security+

then

get the basic microsoft certs.

then you should know in what direction you want to head
I have seen smart a.ss dudes lose their jobs over not knowing how to properly coordinate with other people, and on the flip side I have seen dumb a.ss (not knowing how to printer a.ss dudes) get promoted, because they knew how to communicate properly.

Also stay abrea$t of new technology the last thing your company wants is to be running extremely ineffective, when their is a new product out that can make them more effective.

One new thing I wanted to add have good IT contacts. You never know when their is a extremely difficult problem that you can't handle, most IT people love challenges so they will usually lend a helping hand.
 6 years ago '04        #19
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1466 1466
 991 said:
I guess the problem of not knowing which path I want is I don't know what is involved with each path. Programming is a no I'm sure since its dealing with numbers etc so I a.ssume.the other ones listed I don't know what all is involved. Ps u think I can get a help desk job without any certs? That's possible?
Yes, I have seen many people getting help desk jobs without certs. Usually they aren't extremely technical based, but they still are something.

Do research bro, google database mysql, networking, security, even better go the library grab some books read and see what interest you.
 6 years ago '06        #20
991 26 heat pts26 OP
space
avatar space
space
$5,688 | Props total: 741 741
Again thanks for the answers guys. This might be a stupid question but I don't know. Do I have to go through school to take the a+ exam or can I self study and take the exam?
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 24
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 24
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 21
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 13
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
75 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 7
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
79 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 6
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 5
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 4
Final Bright Trailer: Will Smith Gets a Magic Wand
17 comments
2 days ago
@movies
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy