Forbes on PlayStation Vita: 'Sony in Big Trouble'

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
125 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
238 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #1
6354 pageviews
116 comments

W24x55 50 heat pts50
space
space
$12,355 | Props total: 11092 11092
Forbes on PlayStation Vita: 'Sony in Big Trouble'

"It's old news now that PlayStation Vita isn't selling very well in its native Japan. As we already reported, Vita is off to a rocky start, only selling 72,479 in its first week on the market after pushing about 325,000 in its first 48 hours.

This precipitous decline hasn't gone unnoticed in circles outside of the gaming realm. In fact, Forbes tech contributor Tero Kuittinen has written a scathing article titled "Sony in Big Trouble with PS Vita," outlining the problems the company is currently facing with Vita.

Kuittinen notes that Vita's "second week brought devastation," especially when compared to Nintendo 3DS' second week on the market. Nintendo 3DS was widely believed to have had a terrible start, only more recently pushing bigger numbers now that games players want have finally starting arriving. Yet, 3DS sold 370,000 units in Japan in its first week, and 210,000 units in its second. In other words, it beat PlayStation Vita by 45,000 units in its first week, and a massive 137,500 units in its second week.

"That drop off led to steep further sales erosion," the Forbes article notes, "which forced Nintendo to implement an unusually early and steep price cut." This, of course, begs the question if Sony will do the same. Tero Kuittinen thinks that it will. "Sony will likely be forced to cut the price of the PS Vita from 24,000 Yen (~$311) to well below 20,000 Yen (~$259) very soon."

But the problems don't stop there. Kuittinen continues, "The upcoming US launch could be a true debacle for several reasons. Sony has decided to price Vita at $250, higher than the Amazon Kindle Fire. The hottest games like the latest Uncharted are priced at $50, while many other major titles are $40. The pricing seems delusional in light of the Japanese response to the PS Vita."

However, Kuittinen saves perhaps his harshest words for later in his article. "The 3DS should have been a surefire blockbuster in its domestic market -- the summer softness in Japan may have been an early warning sign of the coming global portable market malaise. The disastrous second week of the PS Vita is the second sign." The reason? The Forbes author argues that the rise of the smart phone and tablet markets are much to blame.

But he also argues that Sony should be concerned, as it seems to be on recent word that Sony had no comment when asked about Vita's sluggish sales. "…the portable console market may now have entered an age of permanent, slowly accelerating decline," Kuittinen concludes. "The true test of the industry is the United States, where consumers are embracing games designed for smartphones and tablets. The possible shrinking of the portable game consumer base would hit the runner-up Sony before Nintendo really gets mauled. The rot sets in first at the periphery."

[pic - click to view]

http://vita.ign.com/artic .. 1215557p1.html

Price Drop imminent?

Looks like the smartphone market has its foot on the neck of handheld gaming'. image

116 comments for "Forbes on PlayStation Vita: 'Sony in Big Trouble'"

6 years ago '04        #2
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,399 | Props total: 107 107
Game Gear status
 6 years ago '05        #3
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,905 | Props total: 21054 21054

Can't say this is surprising in the least bit, though. Completely expected.
 6 years ago '04        #4
W24x55 50 heat pts50 OP
space
space
$12,355 | Props total: 11092 11092
All the die hard sony fans copped one in the first 48 hours.

Casual fans cant find a single fu*k to give.
 6 years ago '07        #5
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,678 | Props total: 16967 16967
 FrostyNug24 said:
All the die hard sony fans copped one in the first 48 hours.

Casual fans cant find a single fu*k to give.
lol exactly
 6 years ago '05        #6
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
sony fuked themselves
 6 years ago '04        #7
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2651 2651
Good.

Now Sony can die and fu*k OFF.
 6 years ago '04        #8
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,399 | Props total: 107 107
Time to drop those prices.
 6 years ago '06        #9
JCSIII 72 heat pts72
space
space
$6,990 | Props total: 144 144
Smartphones and tablets are k!lling peoples interest in handheld gaming.I'm not gonna lie I just don't see where I can fit it in my life,because I know damn well I'll be using my phone,game console and tablet before I use a vita or 3ds
 6 years ago '05        #10
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
Lol at Smartphone and Tablet gaming cutting into the market. No one who actually wants to play a real game on the move will touch a smartphone or tablet. sh*t if I'm going somewhere and I want to game ill bring my 3DS over my iPad or Iphone any day of the week. Its funny that these idiots don't mention the fact that the Vita didn't release with any big games that the Japan market gives a fu*k about. Once a Monster Hunter title drops all these problems will all of a sudden disappear. Also don't see how the Japan launch indicates how the NA launch will go considering the fact that Uncharted and Resistance will be there for launch which is games the actual NA market wants.
 6 years ago '06        #11
JCSIII 72 heat pts72
space
space
Thing is if they would of released this 3 or 4 years ago it would of been an instant cop.
 6 years ago '06        #12
JCSIII 72 heat pts72
space
space
 PhI|0z0pH3r said:
Lol at Smartphone and Tablet gaming cutting into the market. No one who actually wants to play a real game on the move will touch a smartphone or tablet. sh*t if I'm going somewhere and I want to game ill bring my 3DS over my iPad or Iphone any day of the week. Its funny that these idiots don't mention the fact that the Vita didn't release with any big games that the Japan market gives a fu*k about. Once a Monster Hunter title drops all these problems will all of a sudden disappear. Also don't see how the Japan launch indicates how the NA launch will go considering the fact that Uncharted and Resistance will be there for launch which is games the actual NA market wants.
So what's the reason for low sales then?
 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM         #13
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I stopped reading a "forbes", forbes is a joke and it's ran by people like pachter who have no real idea how things are going to play out in consumer electronics, they guess and are 99.99% always wrong.
 6 years ago '04        #14
MainEv3nt|M 21 heat pts21
space
space
$21,294 | Props total: 29 29
i like celery with ranch that sh*t is good.
 6 years ago '04        #15
VictoryThagr8 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$11,341 | Props total: 2765 2765
I'm sorry but with the 250 price tag, the psp vita will flop until they drop the price. I will wait until more games come out with a price tag, or if somebody can put android on it.
 6 years ago '05        #16
bigpinero 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,543 | Props total: 573 573
 VictoryThagr8 said:
I'm sorry but with the 250 price tag, the psp vita will flop until they drop the price. I will wait until more games come out with a price tag, or if somebody can put android on it.
if they drop it to 199 im coppin for sure
 6 years ago '06        #17
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,986 | Props total: 4013 4013
MS won
 6 years ago '05        #18
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 FrostyNug24 said:

Looks like the smartphone market has its foot on the neck of handheld gaming'.
Probably because people buy phones to....do other things along with gaming. No one buys a smartphone just to game.

And the vita should sell much better in America than Japan. They have no Japanese friendly games at release like the 3DS had.
 6 years ago '11        #19
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 Storchaveli said:
MS won
fanboys smh
 6 years ago '07        #20
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,077 | Props total: 30405 30405
So....

Sony's gaming division is in a disastrous downward spiral...

Sony's movie division is bleeding money all over the place...

Sony's music division is practically a non-profit organization now...

... and Apple is sniffing around, looking for a company to possibly acquire to build their upcoming TVs, and maybe not have to fuk with Sharp & Samsung anymore.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
106 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
105 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
71 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
48 comments
1 day ago