Is anyone going to miss Dana Jacobson?

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
101 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
69 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
83 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '09        #21
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,535 | Props total: 3825 3825
^^^^ 1st in aaaaaaaaaages i've actually read a WALL OF TEXT in a thread...
interesting read
 6 years ago '10        #22
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,138 | Props total: 15647 15647
 gutta561 said:
And now a few words on First Take, Dana Jacobson and the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN's mornings.

Amid all the nonsense peddled by ESPN2's First Take -- and it peddles nonsense faster than a vendor peddles circus peanuts at a zoo -- I never lost my admiration for co-host Dana Jacobson. There would be times watching that show (enduring is probably the better description), and Jacobson, even if it was just for a brief moment, would attempt to bring a dose of reality to the situation. She would shake her head at something spawned by Bayless, utter something reasonable, and the moment would quickly pass. Mostly, she was reduced to a background player, which is usually what happens when competing with people who push demagoguery.

On Tuesday Jacobson tweeted that she was leaving First Take for other a.ssignments. I had heard the same news over the weekend. Make no mistake about it: She was pulled from the show, and has been reassigned into the SportsCenter/Outside The Lines/general a.ssignment hosting pool. Under First Take’s new coordinating producer Jamie Horowitz, the show has been redesigned around a 59-year-old man debating and defending his position (whether against real opponents or strawmen) like a modern-day F. Lee Bailey. Except Bailey was much more likeable.

Horowitz is liked by Bristol execs because of his ability to generate ratings and social media buzz, which he did when he helmed SportsNation. That show smartly used Michelle Beadle as a foil for a more palatable Colin Cowherd, and developed a large social media following. If you've noticed, you're starting to see specific hashtags () created for Bayless (i.e #WhenSkipMetTebow) because it's part of the Horowitz playbook. Horowitz is a smart guy, and even though this interview has the all the authenticity of North Korean regime change, it gives you insight into his thinking:

First Take will now be anchored solely by Jay Crawford, who looks good in a suit and won't bother Bayless, and his revolving band of talkies too much. He's considered a stronger anchor by the suits than Jacobson -- and that's probably legit. Crawford was up for the evening SportsCenter gig after Brian Kenny left (that job went to John Anderson) and no one would blame him for trying hard to hold onto the FT gig, which affords him a very nice work week. Jacobson is well-liked and respected by the rank and file in Bristol, so hopefully she gets the opportunity to do some legit reporting again. I imagine bringing something tangible to viewers will be rewarding for her.

The ESPN PR armada has been pumping out stats lately about how First Take's ratings are on the upswing. Nine of the 10 highest-rated shows in the history of First Take have come the last three months and it coincides with Bayless becoming the self-appointed defender of Tim Tebow. In fact, First Take has manipulated the Tebow storyline brilliantly, bringing in Smith, Cris Carter, Rob Parker and other "Tebow disbelievers" to debate Bayless each morning. The show pushes "takes" from other ESPN shows as news, and gets debate segments out of it. It's a brilliant marketing machine, and reminds me of China Central Television.

When Tebow slows down and fades from the sun, Bayless will start the drumbeat on another athlete, most likely a basketball player. Mark my words: He'll challenge some young, likely black, NBA millionaire (read: LeBron James or Chris Bosh), and the circus will start up again, with Eric Mangini magically morphing into Jalen Rose or Tim Legler. As one ESPN-er told me: "Skip and Stephen A generate buzz -- I'd argue 95 percent bad buzz -- but if they deliver ratings, that's all anybody cares about. Which on some level is defensible."

And that's true. I don't discount that First Take has its fans. It reached a high of 586,835 viewers on Dec. 5 and its average viewership is probably around 400K or so. Of course, what takes a hit is quality, and Bayless, as Charles Barkley has been saying hard about him for the past few weeks, comes off as disingenuous.

On this topic, my colleague Jeff Pearlman wrote a terrific book (Boys Will be Boys) on the Cowboys a couple of years ago, which chronicled the drug, ego, and s3x-fueled Cowboys dynasty of the 1990s. What always stood out for me in the book was a comment from one of Bayless's ex-bosses. In the 1990s Bayless wrote a best-selling book -- Hell-Bent -- on the Cowboys' championship teams, and in the book, speculated that Troy Aikman might be gay. Regardless of what Aikman's s3xuality is -- and I'd bet huge money he is as straight as a 40-yard dash -- it was a despicable act.

You can read the excerpt here:

"Skip Bayless could have been one of the really great columnists," former Dallas Morning News sports editor Dave Smith told Pearlman. "But as a columnist, if you are going to beat up on someone, it better be from your heart. You better feel that way. Skip attacked people for the sake of doing it. His gay take on Aikman was the most unfair thing in my 44 years as a journalist."

So when ESPN PR gets on me for over-defending my pal Bruce Feldman, it's worth reminding them that they are selling the soap for someone who tried to out someone's s3xuality. You sleep well, PR staff.

What I think bothers me most for Jacobson is that she now returns to the pool of ESPN talent that never gets pushed externally. Why? Because it's not easy sell. Because they deliver news and do their jobs without shtick or screaming. You know the faces. You might not know the names. It's talent such as Steve Berthiaume, Michelle Bonner, Steve Bunin, Kevin Connors, Robert Flores, Michael Kim, Kevin Negandhi, Dari Nowkhah, Anish Shroff, and Adnan Virk. ESPN recently whacked one of these types J.W. Stewart, a class guy, respected by the rank and file in Bristol.
His only fault appeared to be treating viewers like adults.

:agreement6:

Skips d*ckriding is abt to go to another level
 6 years ago '04        #23
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,074 | Props total: 4420 4420
the nbc sports channel cant get here soon enough

every show they do is basically some horrible rip off of pti now
 6 years ago '05        #24
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8
Haven't watched in a few weeks. Is SAS still just a Wednesday thing, or is he every day now?
 6 years ago '06        #25
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,217 | Props total: 5028 5028
1st take is way better than cold pizza

all that filler was wack as hell

im glad they trimmed it down to skip debates only
 6 years ago '06        #26
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,217 | Props total: 5028 5028
yooooooooo i forgot woody used to be on first take

def bring him back
 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM         #27
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 antoniob 321 said:
He makes that show bruh...

dude is hilarious, he sounds like one of my crazy a.ss uncles.
forreal I used to hate it but I find Stephen A vs Skip entertaining regardless of how stupid they sound

I miss Cold Pizza tho w/ Paige vs Skip

Woody always had those chalkboards of explanations
 6 years ago '04        #28
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,367 | Props total: 6377 6377
 Cheeze said:
forreal I used to hate it but I find Stephen A vs Skip entertaining regardless of how stupid they sound

I miss Cold Pizza tho w/ Paige vs Skip

Woody always had those chalkboards of explanations
he be breaking it down like quantum physics as to why a team won or lost and none of it made no damn sense
 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM         #29
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ Skip Bayless trying to out Troy Aikmen when his a.ss is gay as hell.

ESPN has quality programming, but sh*t like this is what makes me mad about them. Jacobson wasn't that great though, so I'm not shedding a tear over it.
 6 years ago '04        #30
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,447 | Props total: 6039 6039
when is that nbc sports channel starting
 6 years ago '11        #31
pbballin 20 heat pts20
space
space
$9,920 | Props total: 1648 1648
She actually was annoying to tell you the truth. The time that she "took off" for awhile I actually liked watching the show more, when she came back....not so much
 6 years ago '05        #32
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,197 | Props total: 15715 15715
Nope, but she is not as ugly as cats make it out to be though.
 6 years ago '10        #33
2TopFlite 22 heat pts22
space
space
$24,518 | Props total: 2531 2531
I remember when she was gone for that long a.ss time cause her Dad had died and she just came back like a couple weeks ago and they pulled her a.ss thats messed up but she can get the D... she aint all that but she aint that ugly either ... i'll hit

Where Reshea Candidate at doe man? dat woman was niiiiiice even after she had the baby where she at mane

234 - 82 STRK: 1 l in a row WIN PCT: 74% 18 (-1) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 268-127, Rank #12 | Aug 16: 347-169, Rank #30 | Aug 15: 945-461, Rank #17 | Aug 14: 1047-586, Rank #5 | Aug 13: 319-183, Rank #13 | Aug 12: 951-559, Rank #8 | Aug 11: 907-560, Rank #16 *
 6 years ago '09        #34
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,639 | Props total: 2745 2745
 MosDefinition said:
the nbc sports channel cant get here soon enough

every show they do is basically some horrible rip off of pti now
I was so happy when I heard NBC was getting an all sports network together like CBS does
 6 years ago '05        #35
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
she look way better then she used to be i fu*ked no question sad to see her go. skip is a powerfully figure at espn. He wanted her moved she was .
 6 years ago '07        #36
timdog 920 heat pts920
space
space
$30,456 | Props total: 14877 14877
first take<<<<<<<<<<

they all know the show is bullsh*t

jay just sits there and collects a check

skip says his outlandish bullsh*t

the fans wanted stephen a back thats the only reason he back

stephen a and skip should have a show like mike and mike

but i remba when skip sh*tted on reischea

[video - click to view]

12-30-2011, 07:38 PM         #37
tonyk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
first take is my favourite sports show, skip bayless makes that show what it is.
 6 years ago '11        #38
mosdope 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,702 | Props total: 1531 1531
People need to quit crying about the show becoming more focused on Skip debates, what do you want them to do when he's become the reason anybody watches anymore? I liked the interviews but honestly, I used to just wish they would hurry up and get to the "1st and 10" segments.

Reischea left the show and does ESPNnews slots, similar to what Dana will be doing. Not a downgrade.
 6 years ago '06        #39
Yung Dilla 1478 heat pts1478
space
space
$54,867 | Props total: 25630 25630
she'd get it
 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM         #40
BrooklynWHAT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
skip bayless is my n*gga.

everybody know 1st & 10 was the only reason people watched that sh*t. it makes sense to make that the whole show.

skip + screamin a + random retired athlete or fired coach = MONEY
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
46 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
54 comments
1 day ago