most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
46 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
19123 pageviews
100 comments

st21 1238 heat pts1238
space
space
$55,578 | Props total: 43731 43731
Is anyone going to miss Dana Jacobson?

looks like they gave her a.ss the boot since she was pretty much worthless ever since first take changed the format of the show and centered it around skip. she was basically jays backup when he got sick or on vacation.

today was her last day.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

100 comments for "Is anyone going to miss Dana Jacobson?"

6 years ago '10        #2
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,195 | Props total: 15733 15733
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fk wat think, id give her the D anytime
 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM         #4
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Apparently she's going to Sportscenter/Outside the lines. I don't know, I dig her legs when she shows em. She doesn't add sh*t to first take. First Take is going to be centered even more around Skip, so it's going to be unbearable. Those I <3 Skip Bayless t-shirts are fu*king gay.

I can't believe Stephen A is condemned to this sh*t.
 6 years ago '05        #5
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,389 | Props total: 8065 8065
They need to bring back woody paige to first take and wat happened to the other dude that was a host on the show havent seen him in a min
 12-30-2011, 11:41 AM         #6
Guccinhisprimeb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i wont miss the hoe. Skip x Stephen A is goatly
 6 years ago '11        #7
maxnn 129 heat pts129
space
space
$12,180 | Props total: 1034 1034
You should read Richard Deitsch on Dana Jacobson's defenestration from ESPN's First Take—as a co-host, she was to Skip Bayless what Dave Garroway was to his pet chimp—but you should really read this ESPN interview with First Take producer Jamie Horowitz, which is a stupid little fractal of everything stupid about the Worldwide Leader.

FR: We've noticed an increased role for Skip Bayless, who is always stirring up the topics — not to mention the guests. Will the format focus more on people debating Skip?

JH: In some ways, yes. We are constantly receiving requests for people to come on the show to debate Skip, whether it is other journalists, celebrities, athletes, you name it. Rappers like Lil Wayne (three times), Wale, Fabolous, Nelly, LLCoolJ, Common, Bow Wow and Joe Budden as well as athletes Chris Bosh, Ryan Clark and Chad Ochocinco have come on the show specifically to debate Skip. Tim Tebow called the show a few weeks ago because he wanted to chat with Skip.

We pause here to note that all those debaters are black, which is what allows ESPN to pretend that Skip's transparent Negro-baiting and resentment-peddling are part of a Conversation About Race. We proceed:

There is something about the authenticity of the debate, the rawness, that draws sports enthusiasts and celebrities from all walks of life to want to debate him. Skip has a unique ability to at once inspire and infuriate, all the while attracting viewers.

Horowitz goes on to say Skip is "100 percent authentic" and "sincerely believes what he says," and it's a measure of how fu*ked our media culture is that 1.) Horowitz has to say it at all (reading that quote, I get the same queasy feeling I do when a fast-food restaurant a.ssures me I'm eating 100 percent real Angus beef; should I have a.ssumed otherwise?); and 2.) he's lying. Horowitz also says, "Skip was the first analyst to say LeBron James didn't have the panache of a champion," as if beating the sports punditry to the fattest, lowest branch on the world's shortest, dumbest tree were somehow a significant accomplishment. (Also: "Panache of a champion"? Champion of what—the Rockettes?)

You know what Skip Bayless is? Skip Bayless is a hockey goon. He can't skate or pass or defend or score. His sole job is to go out and start a f!ght with someone. Not because he has a grievance or cares, but because he is a f!ght-starter, and fans cheer whenever he starts a f!ght. And now ESPN is skating him on the first line.

Horowitz again:

Research showed that debate was the perfect complement to highlights and analysis fans were also consuming on morning offerings, SportsCenter and Mike & Mike. With that in mind, we recently changed the show format to two hours of debate. Debate would no longer be the best part of the show, it would now be the entire show.

The wonder is that it took ESPN so long to discover something the bellowing fat-asses on drive-time radio have always known. Deitsch says that First Take reached a Tebow-engorged audience of 586,835 viewers on Dec. 5, a record. I don't think he's wrong to see a "Skip Bayless-ization" of ESPN—staged disagreement, he means—even if this particular horse was out of the barn and sipping Evian in Crossfire's green room ages ago. In the future, "debate" will be everywhere on ESPN. Daylong blocks of people disagreeing with one another (or pretending to disagree, because the format demands it). It'll be a game show without the prizes. It'll be performance art, an endless scroll being pulled out of an endless v*gina. Relentless bullsh*t, 100 percent authentic, 24 hours a day.

Last edited by maxnn; 12-30-2011 at 01:41 PM..
 6 years ago '06        #8
gathugga 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,222 | Props total: 686 686
Is Reschia Candidate still there? I haven't watched that show in a min cuz I can't stand Skip.
 6 years ago '04        #9
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,497 | Props total: 6071 6071
 gathugga said:
Is Reschia Candidate still there? I haven't watched that show in a min cuz I can't stand Skip.
she had that baby
 6 years ago '06        #10
YERCELL 
space
space
$3,970 | Props total: 0 0
I haven't watched that sh*tty a.ss show in months, and even if I did I'd be happy she was gone.
 6 years ago '04        #11
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,446 | Props total: 6517 6517
 gathugga said:
everybody that has been on first take except jay crawford either went to just doing their old thing(woody paige) or are on sports center since its on almost all day(sage steele and reschia do it in the morning/mid afternoon)

i think dana gonna do sports center or at least something that you can interview people because she says she switching roles on the fact that she misses that...and she is irrelevant on first take now
 12-30-2011, 12:37 PM         #12
One Shot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 U.B.HiRM said:
good riddens, fu*kin jew
hitler here won't miss her.
 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM         #13
One Shot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
but yeah the bi*ch is nasty AND annoying, i didn't know she was leaving but im glad.

now ban stephen a smith from the show.
 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM         #14
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eh, good riddens...

The show barely gives interviews anymore.
 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM         #15
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 One Shot said:
but yeah the bi*ch is nasty AND annoying, i didn't know she was leaving but im glad.

now ban stephen a smith from the show.
He makes that show bruh...

dude is hilarious, he sounds like one of my crazy a.ss uncles.
 6 years ago '09        #16
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,662 | Props total: 2781 2781
 Dangerously said:
Apparently she's going to Sportscenter/Outside the lines. I don't know, I dig her legs when she shows em. She doesn't add sh*t to first take. First Take is going to be centered even more around Skip, so it's going to be unbearable. Those I <3 Skip Bayless t-shirts are fu*king gay.

I can't believe Stephen A is condemned to this sh*t.
Money talks, if it was not about the $$$ he'd still be on Fox Sports Radio at 6 in the morning.
 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM         #17
One Shot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 antoniob 321 said:
He makes that show bruh...

dude is hilarious, he sounds like one of my crazy a.ss uncles.

hes not funny in the least, he makes the show unwatchable.
 6 years ago '10        #18
OJ Pimpson 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$13,589 | Props total: 9900 9900
fu*k no

bring back

Reischea Canidate

& somebody up that Halloween Costume pic
 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM         #19
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
You don't think the look on his face after skip makes a dumb a.ss remark hilarious?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #20
gutta561 
space
space
space
$909 | Props total: 91 91
And now a few words on First Take, Dana Jacobson and the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN's mornings.

Amid all the nonsense peddled by ESPN2's First Take -- and it peddles nonsense faster than a vendor peddles circus peanuts at a zoo -- I never lost my admiration for co-host Dana Jacobson. There would be times watching that show (enduring is probably the better description), and Jacobson, even if it was just for a brief moment, would attempt to bring a dose of reality to the situation. She would shake her head at something spawned by Bayless, utter something reasonable, and the moment would quickly pass. Mostly, she was reduced to a background player, which is usually what happens when competing with people who push demagoguery.

On Tuesday Jacobson tweeted that she was leaving First Take for other a.ssignments. I had heard the same news over the weekend. Make no mistake about it: She was pulled from the show, and has been reassigned into the SportsCenter/Outside The Lines/general a.ssignment hosting pool. Under First Take’s new coordinating producer Jamie Horowitz, the show has been redesigned around a 59-year-old man debating and defending his position (whether against real opponents or strawmen) like a modern-day F. Lee Bailey. Except Bailey was much more likeable.

Horowitz is liked by Bristol execs because of his ability to generate ratings and social media buzz, which he did when he helmed SportsNation. That show smartly used Michelle Beadle as a foil for a more palatable Colin Cowherd, and developed a large social media following. If you've noticed, you're starting to see specific hashtags () created for Bayless (i.e #WhenSkipMetTebow) because it's part of the Horowitz playbook. Horowitz is a smart guy, and even though this interview has the all the authenticity of North Korean regime change, it gives you insight into his thinking:

First Take will now be anchored solely by Jay Crawford, who looks good in a suit and won't bother Bayless, and his revolving band of talkies too much. He's considered a stronger anchor by the suits than Jacobson -- and that's probably legit. Crawford was up for the evening SportsCenter gig after Brian Kenny left (that job went to John Anderson) and no one would blame him for trying hard to hold onto the FT gig, which affords him a very nice work week. Jacobson is well-liked and respected by the rank and file in Bristol, so hopefully she gets the opportunity to do some legit reporting again. I imagine bringing something tangible to viewers will be rewarding for her.

The ESPN PR armada has been pumping out stats lately about how First Take's ratings are on the upswing. Nine of the 10 highest-rated shows in the history of First Take have come the last three months and it coincides with Bayless becoming the self-appointed defender of Tim Tebow. In fact, First Take has manipulated the Tebow storyline brilliantly, bringing in Smith, Cris Carter, Rob Parker and other "Tebow disbelievers" to debate Bayless each morning. The show pushes "takes" from other ESPN shows as news, and gets debate segments out of it. It's a brilliant marketing machine, and reminds me of China Central Television.

When Tebow slows down and fades from the sun, Bayless will start the drumbeat on another athlete, most likely a basketball player. Mark my words: He'll challenge some young, likely black, NBA millionaire (read: LeBron James or Chris Bosh), and the circus will start up again, with Eric Mangini magically morphing into Jalen Rose or Tim Legler. As one ESPN-er told me: "Skip and Stephen A generate buzz -- I'd argue 95 percent bad buzz -- but if they deliver ratings, that's all anybody cares about. Which on some level is defensible."

And that's true. I don't discount that First Take has its fans. It reached a high of 586,835 viewers on Dec. 5 and its average viewership is probably around 400K or so. Of course, what takes a hit is quality, and Bayless, as Charles Barkley has been saying hard about him for the past few weeks, comes off as disingenuous.

On this topic, my colleague Jeff Pearlman wrote a terrific book (Boys Will be Boys) on the Cowboys a couple of years ago, which chronicled the drug, ego, and s3x-fueled Cowboys dynasty of the 1990s. What always stood out for me in the book was a comment from one of Bayless's ex-bosses. In the 1990s Bayless wrote a best-selling book -- Hell-Bent -- on the Cowboys' championship teams, and in the book, speculated that Troy Aikman might be gay. Regardless of what Aikman's s3xuality is -- and I'd bet huge money he is as straight as a 40-yard dash -- it was a despicable act.

You can read the excerpt here:

"Skip Bayless could have been one of the really great columnists," former Dallas Morning News sports editor Dave Smith told Pearlman. "But as a columnist, if you are going to beat up on someone, it better be from your heart. You better feel that way. Skip attacked people for the sake of doing it. His gay take on Aikman was the most unfair thing in my 44 years as a journalist."

So when ESPN PR gets on me for over-defending my pal Bruce Feldman, it's worth reminding them that they are selling the soap for someone who tried to out someone's s3xuality. You sleep well, PR staff.

What I think bothers me most for Jacobson is that she now returns to the pool of ESPN talent that never gets pushed externally. Why? Because it's not easy sell. Because they deliver news and do their jobs without shtick or screaming. You know the faces. You might not know the names. It's talent such as Steve Berthiaume, Michelle Bonner, Steve Bunin, Kevin Connors, Robert Flores, Michael Kim, Kevin Negandhi, Dari Nowkhah, Anish Shroff, and Adnan Virk. ESPN recently whacked one of these types J.W. Stewart, a class guy, respected by the rank and file in Bristol.
His only fault appeared to be treating viewers like adults.

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
100 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
86 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
127 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
70 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
On the Late Night vol. 17
24 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
180 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
58 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy