Audiences Can't Understand "Bane"

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
87 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
53 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
99 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
75 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM         #1
12434 pageviews
123 comments

Jackson High 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Audiences Can't Understand "Bane"

[pic - click to view]

Audience interest in next summer’s The Dark Knight Rises is ramping up thanks to Imax screenings of an extended prologue before Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol and the debut online of the film’s trailer Monday.

But despite the warm reception to the footage, Warner Bros. is running into an unexpected problem, one which is causing some handwringing among executives and others who are working on the movie.

Some audience members are grumbling that they can’t understand what Bane, the main villain in the final installment of the Christopher Nolan-helmed trilogy, is saying. Bane is a bad guy whose super-strength comes from a drug that he continuously inhales. In the prologue, the character, played by British actor Tom Hardy, is seen with a mask that covers his nose and mouth; his speech is garbled and muffled.

“A fantastic action sequence hurt by the fact that you cannot understand the villain at all,” commented Erik Davis on Twitter. Others poked fun at the seven-minute prologue. “The Dark Knight Rises prologue was really great, especially when Bane spoke the soon-to-be-classic line: 'Mmrbl ffrmrff hmrbblfmm,'" wrote one fan.

Fan websites, whose approval is seen in Hollywood as key to building buzz for big superhero tentpole movies, also have not been kind to the sound in the prologue. “We've seen the Dark Knight Rises prologue -- and yes, Bane really does sound that bad,” wrote IO9. The male-oriented site What Would Tyler Durden Do published the prologue’s purported script pages to help shed light on the dialogue. The site’s comment on fan reaction to the footage: “Most people immediately said two things: ‘damn that was bad a.ss!’ and ‘I have no idea what the f*** was going on!’”

Sources close to the movie say Warner Bros. is very aware of the sound issue. One source working on the film says he is “scared to death” about “the Bane problem.” And with good reason. The last Batman film, 2008’s The Dark Knight, grossed more than $1 billion worldwide, and the studio doesn’t want anything to tamper with Rise’s chances for success.
Sources also say some at Warners would like Nolan to change the sound mix, but the filmmaker, whose autonomy is well-earned (his Inception earned the studio more than $800 million and eight Oscar nominations), has informed executives that he plans only to alter the sound slightly, not to rework it completely.

“Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn't dumb things down," says one high-level exec, declining to be named. “You've got to pedal faster to keep up.”

Nolan said similar things to The Hollywood Reporter at the prologue’s unveiling during a press event Dec. 8, explaining that it was OK for a moviegoer not to understand what was said at times, as long as the overall idea was conveyed. The filmmaker is currently editing the movie and won't have a cut to show the studio for at least a couple pf months.

While Warners has supported Nolan’s wishes in the past, moviegoer complaints about the character could create pressure to make changes. Or the studio and Nolan can do nothing and hope that fan interest in The Dark Knight Rises outweighs any issues with understanding Bane's dialogue.

[pic - click to view]

'The Dark Knight Rises' Faces Big Problem: Audiences Can't Understand Villain - Hollywood Reporter

123 comments for "Audiences Can't Understand "Bane""

6 years ago '06        #2
droid3000 995 heat pts995
space
space
$26,430 | Props total: 26114 26114
this is true
 6 years ago '08        #3
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,922 | Props total: 7312 7312
Its a hard main character to sell. Shoulda did a combo of the Penguin and two face.
 6 years ago '08        #4
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23316 23316
saw on slashfilm that the bane and batman scenes will be subtitled
 6 years ago '07        #5
Bleezy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$14,441 | Props total: 8415 8415
These greedy corporate fu*ks needn't worry... the movie will do fine, critically & financially.

Bow to Nolan for sticking to his guns, in the name of art.
 6 years ago '04        #6
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,791 | Props total: 1796 1796
 Bleezy said:
These greedy corporate fu*ks needn't worry... the movie will do fine, critically & financially.

Bow to Nolan for sticking to his guns, in the name of art.

What's so artistic about not being able to understand the dialogue ?? there really is no point to his voice being muffled, he might as well be speaking Spanish. I swear ppl will justify any type of flaw in a creative piece by contributing it to "art" .
 6 years ago '09        #7
rdogg11 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$960 | Props total: 30 30
"Bane is a bad guy whose super-strength comes from a drug that he continuously inhales".

Damn that sounds awesome.
 6 years ago '07        #8
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,772 | Props total: 14586 14586
He sounds like Sean Connery at times.
 6 years ago '04        #9
!!! 220 heat pts220
space
space
$42,041 | Props total: 33762 33762
I can understand him just fine in the trailer, but in the prologue it was rough. He sounded like Darth Vader and V from V from Vendetta combined and even sounded like he was out of breath after delievering a long sentence.

The noise that came from his mask is the same noise the dream machine in Inception made when it was turned on. That kind of weezing/sucking sound (no homo). Any one else catch that?
 6 years ago '11        #10
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,519 | Props total: 38 38
Maybe because it hasnt been edited yet?
 6 years ago '07        #11
Bleezy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$14,441 | Props total: 8415 8415
 psylence2k said:

What's so artistic about not being able to understand the dialogue ?? there really is no point to his voice being muffled, he might as well be speaking Spanish. I swear ppl will justify any type of flaw in a creative piece by contributing it to "art" .
You not being able to hear is not what I'm dubbing artistic, genius.

No point? Did you even read the article? I guess if one is inhaling drugs, through a mask, the idea of him having a muffled voice is absolutely ludicrous.

Null and void for me, I could make out everything Bane said, cause I'm artistic like that -- so, bring on TDKR!!! Flaws and all. :dancingcool:
 6 years ago '08        #12
Gmengfx 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,648 | Props total: 1219 1219
where can i see this prologue at
 6 years ago '07        #13
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,596 | Props total: 907 907
 Gmengfx said:
where can i see this prologue at
this.

I went to see MI4 but must have come in too late cause I didn't see sh*t. I thought it would come out after that movie dropped but I guess that really was exclusive.

nolan you bastard
 6 years ago '07        #14
Pass The Dutchi 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,115 | Props total: 1360 1360
^^^ It's only in IMAX.
 6 years ago '04        #15
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,922 | Props total: 4282 4282
I understood Bane fine in the HD trailer. And when you turn down the blown out camera mic on the bootleg things, I understood him just fine as well. His accent is tricky.
 6 years ago '07        #16
omglolwtfbbq 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,241 | Props total: 0 0
They should do a deleted scene of Bane and Batman just grumbling at each other
 6 years ago '04        #17
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,791 | Props total: 1796 1796
 Bleezy said:
You not being able to hear is not what I'm dubbing artistic, genius.

No point? Did you even read the article? I guess if one is inhaling drugs, through a mask, the idea of him having a muffled voice is absolutely ludicrous.

Null and void for me, I could make out everything Bane said, cause I'm artistic like that -- so, bring on TDKR!!! Flaws and all. :dancingcool:

You dont have to keep his voice muffled in order for the general audience to "believe" he's inhaling something, it's a pretty trivial detail that no one is really gonna care about. It's much more necessary for dialogue to be clear than for us to be constantly reminded that Bane is inhaling steroids. Let's look at the bigger picture here, it's ridiculous for Bane to go through the whole movie sounding like he has a d!ck down his throat.
 6 years ago '07        #18
omglolwtfbbq 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,241 | Props total: 0 0
 psylence2k said:
You dont have to keep his voice muffled in order for the general audience to "believe" he's inhaling something, it's a pretty trivial detail that no one is really gonna care about. It's much more necessary for dialogue to be clear than for us to be constantly reminded that Bane is inhaling steroids. Let's look at the bigger picture here, it's ridiculous for Bane to go through the whole movie sounding like he has a d!ck down his throat.
A couple times during TDK for me were comedy and it distracted from what was going on, like when they were on the fire escape and batman was like "the city grrrrrr is full grrrrrr of people grrrready to do good"
 6 years ago '05        #19
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 Andre3stacks said:
Its a hard main character to sell. Shoulda did a combo of the Penguin and two face.
Penguin would be even harder and two face is most likely dead
 6 years ago '05        #20
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 C.R.I.P. said:
I understood Bane fine in the HD trailer. And when you turn down the blown out camera mic on the bootleg things, I understood him just fine as well. His accent is tricky.

most people are talking about the prologue

Doesn't even sound like hes formulating words
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
45 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
64 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
37 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy