Who has done more for hip hop? Eminem or Kanye West?

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
89 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
205 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
80 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who has done more for hip hop?
Eminem 47 44.34%
Kanye 48 45.28%
Hard to choose 11 10.38%
Voters: 106. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM         #261
Karamu 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Switchc2390 said:
Kanye has switched his style up..but I think the only real time he influenced a generation of people was when he was doing soul samples. I mean everyone else already beat him to the punch when he started his autotune style. By the time he switched his style there, people were already doing it.

Bottom line is, I think people give him a lot more credit than he deserves. Has he influenced Drake and artists like him? Yes, but so has Jay-Z, Nas, Lupe, etc..I really don't paint it all on Kanye. Drake's whole style coming into the game was a mixture between Lil Wayne, Phonte, and Kanye..and now he really doesn't sound like any of them...at least not like he did. Kanye made it somewhat acceptable to not be a gangster in the game when 50 was the biggest thing out, and he kind of made it acceptable to be a backpacker. The whole autotune/electronica movement that's going on right now I don't really attribute to him..I think he actually followed the crowd more than the inverse.
Phonte's influence on Drake was before SFG, really has no effect on his rapping style now. Him and 40 credited Kanye's 808s for the influence of their post SFG sound which branded the entire OVOXO with The Weeknd. Not to mention Cudi but I guess he isn't as important.

Kanye wasn't the first on the autotune train, but what rap single was there with electronic influence before Stronger? That was the first mainstream rap album with electronica on the boards. That already makes 3/5 out of his albums a sufficant influence to hip hop.
 6 years ago '04        #262
Young Hov 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,473 | Props total: 3 3
kanye

em will never be taken serious just like his fans/stans
 6 years ago '05        #263
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,983 | Props total: 3263 3263
 Karamu said:
Phonte's influence on Drake was before SFG, really has no effect on his rapping style now. Him and 40 credited Kanye's 808s for the influence of their post SFG sound which branded the entire OVOXO with The Weeknd. Not to mention Cudi but I guess he isn't as important.

Kanye wasn't the first on the autotune train, but what rap single was there with electronic influence before Stronger? That was the first mainstream rap album with electronica on the boards. That already makes 3/5 out of his albums a sufficant influence to hip hop.
Well, that was pretty much my point. Drake doesn't really sound like any of those guys anymore, but I'd say they equally influenced him up to this point. If you look at Drake's rhyme scheme, it still is very much like Phonte's. If you look at his voice, he still imitates Lil Wayne a little. If you look at some of his hooks and beats, he still is influenced by Kanye a little. But now he's come into his own..I wouldn't solely credit Kanye for that.

And specifically rap? Not a lot..but it was mainly Justin Timberlake/T-Pain that really brought it to the forefront and made it popular again among the American audience. But you're right, Kanye did help bring it into hip hop.
 6 years ago '10        #264
Account001 
space
space
$3,342 | Props total: 180 180
i hate em... but he did more for hip hop money-wise
 6 years ago '10        #265
MexicanKingPin 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,052 | Props total: 204 204
 Dangerously said:
It's alright if you don't post ever again.
eminem is a better rapper then kanye
from freestyles to albums to rappers signed
to having his own label & em is also a producer.

now what has kanye done that's better then em? produce
eminem simply out weighs kanye.
 6 years ago '05        #266
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,508 | Props total: 252 252
 Switchc2390 said:
Kanye has switched his style up..but I think the only real time he influenced a generation of people was when he was doing soul samples. I mean everyone else already beat him to the punch when he started his autotune style. By the time he switched his style there, people were already doing it.

Bottom line is, I think people give him a lot more credit than he deserves. Has he influenced Drake and artists like him? Yes, but so has Jay-Z, Nas, Lupe, etc..I really don't paint it all on Kanye. Drake's whole style coming into the game was a mixture between Lil Wayne, Phonte, and Kanye..and now he really doesn't sound like any of them...at least not like he did. Kanye made it somewhat acceptable to not be a gangster in the game when 50 was the biggest thing out, and he kind of made it acceptable to be a backpacker. The whole autotune/electronica movement that's going on right now I don't really attribute to him..I think he actually followed the crowd more than the inverse.
So this whole generation of Big Sean / Kudi / Drake / Cole etc. aint Kanye influenced? I think you may be selling Kanye short, Timbo brought in that electronic sound with Justin TImberlake, but on a mainstream level and a wide audience in terms of hip hop (which is what the question addresses), Stronger was THAT song IMO that brought that electronic sound forward in hip hop that is so prevalent, even look at American Boy with Estelle.

Kanye is so much more than soul sampling, he has really pushed the envelope in hip hop as to what you can be in terms of a complete artist.
 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM         #267
Skratch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kanye
 6 years ago '10        #268
Space 2020 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,758 | Props total: 164 164
Ye brought Soul samples and made backbacking more accepted and more Im probably missing

Em brought sales and white stans that call him the GOAT(No Offense)

So Ye easy
 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM         #269
FukUrLife187 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jackson High said:
I'm really trying my hardest to figure out what Eminem has done for hip-hop...

He came into the game as a gimmick
His core fanbase was white people & predominately people who never listened to hip-hop before
He was considered a AZ ripoff, then glorified what Gravediggaz did, then people started to make the claim that other white rappers were arguably better than him (Brother Ali, R.A The Rugged Man)

You could somehow make the claim he helped bridge the gap between white & black fans but then again black hip-hop fans respect the Beastie Boys more than they do Eminem. But than again, again, Eminem is much more popular than them.
the beastie boys ..... foh
 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM         #270
FukUrLife187 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Storchaveli said:
Stupid question, really. Kanye has done alot for hip hop BEHIND the curtain. Produced alot of great music but what hurts him is he samples alot. He's a big time "copy and paste" producer. Great contributor though. Em has powered through his skin color and made hip hop cool to legions. Not to mention the fact that he introduced what battle rapping was to masses as well (8 Mile). He gave us D12 (say what you want, Devil's Night is raw), Obie, 50 fu*kin Cent, and is CURRENTLY nurturing Royce and Slaughterhouse and giving them a push. Those who say they don't know what he's done for the game are clearly stupid as fu*k.
son ..................................
 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM         #271
FukUrLife187 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sheedawg said:
Actually it further backs up my point, because they like Eminem's music on its own, not hip hop as a genre. As I said before, Eminem has catered to the same fan his whole career.
same fan? n*gga that can be said about any artist .. i can say that about food .. tf
 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM         #272
FukUrLife187 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MexicanKingPin said:
eminem is a better rapper then kanye
from freestyles to albums to rappers signed
to having his own label & em is also a producer.

now what has kanye done that's better then em? produce
eminem simply out weighs kanye.
he was laughing cuz as a producer kanye is better .. but u ment produce in another way ..
 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM         #273
Karamu 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eminem's a better actor, I'll give him that
 6 years ago '05        #274
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,983 | Props total: 3263 3263
 sheedawg said:
So this whole generation of Big Sean / Kudi / Drake / Cole etc. aint Kanye influenced? I think you may be selling Kanye short, Timbo brought in that electronic sound with Justin TImberlake, but on a mainstream level and a wide audience in terms of hip hop (which is what the question addresses), Stronger was THAT song IMO that brought that electronic sound forward in hip hop that is so prevalent, even look at American Boy with Estelle.

Kanye is so much more than soul sampling, he has really pushed the envelope in hip hop as to what you can be in terms of a complete artist.
My point is that Kanye influenced this generation, but so did a whole lot of other artists as well. The culture shifted to a different sound, but I don't give Kanye most of the credit for it. Like I said, I think the culture shifted Kanye's sound just as much as Kanye shifted the culture's sound.

I'll give Stronger credit for being a huge part in helping to bring that style into hip hop..but it really took a long time to catch on mainstream wise(The style) and Kanye didn't even really put out any other songs on the album like it. I mean when Kanye released Stronger, hip hop was still in the dance music/autotune phase, and then after that is when Kanye released 808's, which was when hip hop was already heavy into autotune.

I'm not saying I don't give him credit, I know he influenced a lot of different artists in this day and age, I just don't think dude should get credit for influencing damn near every style of hip hop in the last 10 years, because some of it was him already jumping ship when it was already popular. But I do agree he is very influential to some of the artists we have in the game now.

Last edited by Switchc2390; 12-20-2011 at 09:44 PM..
 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM         #275
Jackson High 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FukUrLife187 said:
the beastie boys ..... foh
You act like the Beastie Boys are wack. And I said that based off of what I've heard from fans themselves. If I didn't hear it, I wouldn't have typed it.

Kingpin 313 said:
Hip hop respect the beastie boys more then Eminem?

Some of u don't need a opinion
Like I said that's what I've heard from fans of the culture

But even taking that away, what I said is true:

Eminem hasn't done much for hip-hop truthfully speaking.

Last edited by Jackson High; 12-20-2011 at 09:01 PM..
 12-20-2011, 09:03 PM         #276
FukUrLife187 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jackson High said:
You act like the Beastie Boys are wack. And I said that based off of what I've heard from fans themselves. If I didn't hear it, I wouldn't have typed it.

Like I said that's what I've heard from fans of the culture

But even taking that away, what I said is true:

Eminem hasn't done much for hip-hop truthfully speaking.
i don't act .. them n*ggas suck
 6 years ago '04        #277
Magnolia 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,369 | Props total: 301 301
eminem has done alot more for HIP HOP in General, Kanye just stays relevant and continues to grow. i mean LIl Wayne even did more hip hop than kanye
 6 years ago '04        #278
Magnolia 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,369 | Props total: 301 301
2pac has done the most though.
 6 years ago '05        #279
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,508 | Props total: 252 252
 FukUrLife187 said:
same fan? n*gga that can be said about any artist .. i can say that about food .. tf
you are an idiot. How is College Dropout which features Kweli, Mos, Common etc cater to the same fan as MBDTF which features Ross, Nikki Minaj, Rihanna etc? I swear some of the people in here have no idea of placing anything in context, they act like hip hop has been the same and want it to be the same forever.
 6 years ago '06        #280
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,989 | Props total: 4020 4020
 sheedawg said:
You do realize you are sh*tting on the likes of Pete Rock, Dilla, and Premier with a statement like that.
And? Great producers, but to make a career out of copying and pasting already existing work... SMH. It is what it is.

sheedawg said:
He made hip hop cool to legions? Highly disagree, if anything, 50 Cent did that.
Em was already a huge star BEFORE 50 exploded. sh*t, even Jay recalled Em's fame and success being so crazy that he had to wear a bulletproof vest when they met once. He recalled that from the outside looking in. How are you gonna say 50 did that when 50 came AFTER and owes a nice part of his success to Em? 50 has said that himself. So Em's success and influence was all a dream? How old are you 16? Let me guess, you use the word "cray" now?

sheedawg said:
Most of Eminem's fans were casual hip hop listeners at best.
All speculation and non-substantive. :sleepy:

sheedawg said:
So he brought battle rapping to the masses? How many battle rappers were birthed due to 8 Mile and are successful and in popular music?
I didn't say he "brought" it to the masses, as in being the only one. He introduced it to many. I had 2 friends back when that movie came out whose parents couldn't stand them listening to rap or even Em himself. They were dragged to that movie and once they saw what rap was about and what the culture was like, they backed off and didn't mind them listening to Em and other hip hop. And you can't be serious with counting how many battle rappers are "popular" today. Kanye's music is in heavy rotation on POP stations. Even Em's singles (besides maybe Not Afraid and Beautiful) don't mean much. It's fu*kin pop music, bro. You seriously gonna count battle rap a failure cuz it's not "successful in pop music" (with Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Drake, etc)?

sheedawg said:
Look at the landscape that hip hop is today, whether you like it or not, it has Kanye's blueprint all over it.
Questionable clothes. Diva behavior. Yeah, that's doing alot for hip hop. You give him too much credit. As if those other backpacking rappers didn't already dress weird and colorful. Just because he's the most popular, doesn't mean he's responsible for those who aren't as popular.

sheedawg said:
Nurturing Royce and the rest of Slaughterhouse? How the fu*k is he nurturing a bunch of dudes that without him, already had successful careers in their own right with established fan bases.
Are they as famous and well known as Em? Are they not being helped out by him one way or another and given a push in a more mainstream light? Are they not using Em's resources? That's how. You can't be this dense.

sheedawg said:
Eminem doesn't focus on expanding the culture at all.
Yeah cuz he hasn't signed any rappers and pushed out new material at ALL. That Re-Up CD wasn't made to display all those other rappers on it. You're right, he's not planting seeds in hip hop at all. fu*k outta here.

sheedawg said:

Eminem solely exists within the realm of hip hop, whereas Kanye exists beyond that and thats the main difference.
Wait, what? Are you fu*kin kidding me? So Em hasn't been in movies? Em hasn't won an Academy Award? He's not a household name? So Kanye fame wasn't brought to new heights because of his diva behavior and tantrums ("George Bush doesn't care about black people")?

I'm done with this "cray" clown.
Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
52 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
87 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
56 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
4 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
93 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
66 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy