Who has done more for hip hop? Eminem or Kanye West?

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
145 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
86 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
48 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
97 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who has done more for hip hop?
Eminem 47 44.34%
Kanye 48 45.28%
Hard to choose 11 10.38%
Voters: 106. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #241
MexicanKingPin 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,052 | Props total: 204 204
Eminem by far from freestyles to movies to producing he sh*ts on kanye
 12-20-2011, 02:19 AM         #242
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MexicanKingPin said:
Eminem by far from freestyles to movies to producing he sh*ts on kanye
It's alright if you don't post ever again.
 12-20-2011, 02:29 AM         #243
Jackson High 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm really trying my hardest to figure out what Eminem has done for hip-hop...

He came into the game as a gimmick
His core fanbase was white people & predominately people who never listened to hip-hop before
He was considered a AZ ripoff, then glorified what Gravediggaz did, then people started to make the claim that other white rappers were arguably better than him (Brother Ali, R.A The Rugged Man)

You could somehow make the claim he helped bridge the gap between white & black fans but then again black hip-hop fans respect the Beastie Boys more than they do Eminem. But than again, again, Eminem is much more popular than them.
 12-20-2011, 02:57 AM         #244
yeugkk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
weird thread

first, what defines doing more for hip hop?

i think itd be better to compare their discographies in terms of what people like more
 6 years ago '06        #245
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,979 | Props total: 4000 4000
 Trill Clinton said:
Seriously,what has Kanye done for hip hop??Produce the Blueprint? Made it ok for rappers to wear LV man purses?

Eminem,easy,and i don't even fu*k with the n*gga like that.
/THREAD

6 years ago '06        #246
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,979 | Props total: 4000 4000
Stupid question, really. Kanye has done alot for hip hop BEHIND the curtain. Produced alot of great music but what hurts him is he samples alot. He's a big time "copy and paste" producer. Great contributor though. Em has powered through his skin color and made hip hop cool to legions. Not to mention the fact that he introduced what battle rapping was to masses as well (8 Mile). He gave us D12 (say what you want, Devil's Night is raw), Obie, 50 fu*kin Cent, and is CURRENTLY nurturing Royce and Slaughterhouse and giving them a push. Those who say they don't know what he's done for the game are clearly stupid as fu*k.
 6 years ago '10        #247
gakhteebo 
space
space
$2,048 | Props total: 0 0
why is this a question ? eminem obviously, 12 year old haters will say kanye, haters with a brain will still admit the fact , eminem
 6 years ago '05        #248
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,508 | Props total: 252 252
 Storchaveli said:
Stupid question, really. Kanye has done alot for hip hop BEHIND the curtain. Produced alot of great music but what hurts him is he samples alot. He's a big time "copy and paste" producer. Great contributor though. Em has powered through his skin color and made hip hop cool to legions. Not to mention the fact that he introduced what battle rapping was to masses as well (8 Mile). He gave us D12 (say what you want, Devil's Night is raw), Obie, 50 fu*kin Cent, and is CURRENTLY nurturing Royce and Slaughterhouse and giving them a push. Those who say they don't know what he's done for the game are clearly stupid as fu*k.

You do realize you are sh*tting on the likes of Pete Rock, Dilla, and Premier with a statement like that.

He made hip hop cool to legions? Highly disagree, if anything, 50 Cent did that. Em's influence on the masses lies with him being the alternative face to what was once regarded as a black mans genre. A Dre co sign obviously helped (don't kid yourself and act like that not a big reason for his success), and coupled with where the arc of hip hop as a genre was at the time, created the perfect marketable figure to suburban white america. You look at how he became popular amongst the masses at that time, and most will agree it was because of his gimmick singles which provided the perfect foil to what most considered (and still do, this thread has plenty of evidence) hip hop to be at the time, about drugs, guns etc.

Most of Eminem's fans were casual hip hop listeners at best, much like a majority of Waynes fanbase now, where a quirky hot line here and there was enough to make you seem atypical.

So he brought battle rapping to the masses? How many battle rappers were birthed due to 8 Mile and are successful and in popular music? None. Apart from 50 Cent, which Em has to get some credit for, he really hasnt influenced a generation the way Kanye has. Look at the landscape that hip hop is today, whether you like it or not, it has Kanye's blueprint all over it.

Nurturing Royce and the rest of Slaughterhouse? How the fu*k is he nurturing a bunch of dudes that without him, already had successful careers in their own right with established fan bases.

Which leads me to my next point, and the main difference between Eminem and Kanye. Aside from 50, Eminem doesn't focus on expanding the culture at all, which is fine because he's great at what he does, but he focused on the same type of audience and listener his whole career and has been highly successful in doing that. Kanye on the other hand, has grown with the culture, and the culture has grown with him. His fan base has expanded not only in size, but in types of listener, the big difference between him and Em. It's why you get people hating on him because him and Jigga hang out with "non-hip hop" folk, and people expect the culture to grow, but still want it as their best kept secret which unfortunately doesn't happen. Kanye has transcended hip hop, so has Jay, Eminem hasn't, which is cool and all, but Eminem is backed by purists and those, god forbid, "hip hop heads".

Eminem solely exists within the realm of hip hop, whereas Kanye exists beyond that and thats the main difference. Eminem is a good reminder of what hip hop is at its raw core, but there are so many other who do the same on a smaller scale than Eminem. Kanye is the dude who takes hip hop places its never been before, which IMO is a far greater influence because about moving the culture forward and taking it to places its never been before, and there are only a handful of people in the history of hip hop that have been able to do that.
 6 years ago '09        #249
ShadyVsEminem 244 heat pts244
space
space
$21,699 | Props total: 6197 6197
 sheedawg said:

Eminem solely exists within the realm of hip hop
Isnt one of Eminems(or his fans atleast)seemingly big criticisms that people only listen to him and dont listen to other rappers? if thats the case your theory couldnt be any more of a contradiction he exists outside the "hip hop realm" more than anybody
 6 years ago '11        #250
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
 Jackson High said:
I'm really trying my hardest to figure out what Eminem has done for hip-hop...

He came into the game as a gimmick
His core fanbase was white people & predominately people who never listened to hip-hop before
He was considered a AZ ripoff, then glorified what Gravediggaz did, then people started to make the claim that other white rappers were arguably better than him (Brother Ali, R.A The Rugged Man)

You could somehow make the claim he helped bridge the gap between white & black fans but then again black hip-hop fans respect the Beastie Boys more than they do Eminem. But than again, again, Eminem is much more popular than them.
Hip hop respect the beastie boys more then Eminem?

Some of u don't need a opinion
 6 years ago '05        #251
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
 ShadyVsEminem said:
Isnt one of Eminems(or his fans atleast)seemingly big criticisms that people only listen to him and dont listen to other rappers? if thats the case your theory couldnt be any more of a contradiction he exists outside the "hip hop realm" more than anybody
Actually it further backs up my point, because they like Eminem's music on its own, not hip hop as a genre. As I said before, Eminem has catered to the same fan his whole career.
 6 years ago '10        #252
420Heat 8 heat pts
space
space
$8,801 | Props total: 5237 5237
n*ggas will say kanye of course

Wtf did he even do for hip hip?
 6 years ago '09        #253
ShadyVsEminem 244 heat pts244
space
space
$21,699 | Props total: 6197 6197
 sheedawg said:
Actually it further backs up my point, because they like Eminem's music on its own, not hip hop as a genre. As I said before, Eminem has catered to the same fan his whole career.
If he catered to the same fan his whole career people wouldnt have such strong opinions about certain albums(there are huge differences in style from one album to the next for the most part eg.Relapse/Recovery). If anything Kanye definitely caters to the same soul sample loving, autotune craving fans more

Last edited by ShadyVsEminem; 12-20-2011 at 09:25 AM..
 6 years ago '09        #254
trock34 93 heat pts93
space
space
space
$25,110 | Props total: 7265 7265
 ShadyVsEminem said:
If he catered to the same fan his whole career he wouldnt have such strong opinions about certain albums(there are huge differences in style from one album to the next for the most part). If anything Kanye definitely caters to the same soul sample loving, autotune craving fans more
fall back
 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM         #255
Tybigbigguy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kingpin 313 said:
9 pages of nobody proving kanye has done more just hating on Eminem

U take away Eminem u have no 50 cent no gunit no chronic 2001 alot of hiphop fans and the highest selling rapper ever

I'm done with y'all

:iough:
All of those things were gonna happen with or without em u seem to forget the buzz g-unit had before em signed 50
 6 years ago '05        #256
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
 ShadyVsEminem said:
If he catered to the same fan his whole career he wouldnt have such strong opinions about certain albums(there are huge differences in style from one album to the next for the most part). If anything Kanye definitely caters to the same soul sample loving, autotune craving fans more
Respectfully disagree with you post.

Firstly, Eminem Show and Recovery stick out as probably the more different approaches in terms of Eminem's career, Eminem Show probably being my favourite album by him as I think it was the last genuine album of growth as a artist in his career, I know you disagree, but I found Recovery a very forced response to the backlash that Relapse received, he went a full 180 and everything about Recovery just didn't seem to come natural. IMO the only strong opinions about his albums come Encore onwards, and rightfully so, pre Encore, Eminem was basically untouchable to most.

If you think Kanye caters to the same crowd, you wouldn't have the responses that anything he gets garners, absolute divided opinion, MBDTF is a perfect example of this, and Kanye's most similar sounding albums are hist first 2, and even they differ. I dunno how you can say Kanye caters to the same crowd, when every release people call him a sell out and scream "bring back College Dropout" etc.
 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM         #257
Tybigbigguy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think Em get's my vote i don't really give him credit for 50 cuz if u were around back then it's was obvious that n*gga was gonna blow but he helped on dre's album he produced some dope tracks and his a top 5 mc and kanye ain't even top 10
 6 years ago '06        #258
28 Gramz 51 heat pts51
space
space
$7,569 | Props total: 4478 4478
Kanye, this entire new softhop generation is his offspring...Kudi,Drake,Big Sean,Wiz,J Cole,Wale all owe their career to him in a way.
 12-20-2011, 11:29 AM         #259
Karamu 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadyVsEminem said:
If he catered to the same fan his whole career people wouldnt have such strong opinions about certain albums(there are huge differences in style from one album to the next for the most part eg.Relapse/Recovery). If anything Kanye definitely caters to the same soul sample loving, autotune craving fans more
what songs off Kanye's last 3(including WTT) albums have catered that crowd?
 6 years ago '05        #260
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,968 | Props total: 3228 3228
 sheedawg said:
Respectfully disagree with you post.

Firstly, Eminem Show and Recovery stick out as probably the more different approaches in terms of Eminem's career, Eminem Show probably being my favourite album by him as I think it was the last genuine album of growth as a artist in his career, I know you disagree, but I found Recovery a very forced response to the backlash that Relapse received, he went a full 180 and everything about Recovery just didn't seem to come natural. IMO the only strong opinions about his albums come Encore onwards, and rightfully so, pre Encore, Eminem was basically untouchable to most.

If you think Kanye caters to the same crowd, you wouldn't have the responses that anything he gets garners, absolute divided opinion, MBDTF is a perfect example of this, and Kanye's most similar sounding albums are hist first 2, and even they differ. I dunno how you can say Kanye caters to the same crowd, when every release people call him a sell out and scream "bring back College Dropout" etc.
Kanye has switched his style up..but I think the only real time he influenced a generation of people was when he was doing soul samples. I mean everyone else already beat him to the punch when he started his autotune style. By the time he switched his style there, people were already doing it.

Bottom line is, I think people give him a lot more credit than he deserves. Has he influenced Drake and artists like him? Yes, but so has Jay-Z, Nas, Lupe, etc..I really don't paint it all on Kanye. Drake's whole style coming into the game was a mixture between Lil Wayne, Phonte, and Kanye..and now he really doesn't sound like any of them...at least not like he did. Kanye made it somewhat acceptable to not be a gangster in the game when 50 was the biggest thing out, and he kind of made it acceptable to be a backpacker. The whole autotune/electronica movement that's going on right now I don't really attribute to him..I think he actually followed the crowd more than the inverse.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
82 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
239 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
28 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
300 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
135 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
That 8mile soundtrack had some classic jams for real
36 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
92 comments
19 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
113 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy