Dec 17 - 35 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education Has Become A Giant Money Making Scam

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
63 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
20 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
99 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
231 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #101
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,542 | Props total: 18056 18056
Now is the perfect time to be in college ppl acting like obama doesnt give u a 2 g tax return for being in college.
 6 years ago '07        #102
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,409 | Props total: 2526 2526
 nastynoble said:
i wasnt hating at all. just stating my accompliments. even if you were hitting that 60k mark you were still working at a dealership? have you ever owned a business? its a completely different thing than working for someone else. not necessarily better, just different. and yes im completely happy making my 5 gs a month. and still would be even if i was making double that working for someone elses company. i dont answer to ANYBODY...if i fu*k up its on me. as far as vacations...i completely love what i do. i often hit up the clothing trade shows as part of my vacation but also get networking done. this is my first year and i have met my projections and then some. if i work hard enough i will see at least 25-30% growth in the coming year. in the end im pretty sure i love what i do more than he loves being a pharmacist.

i think its great that "college" helped do that for him but we dont know the debt he has accrued. what is that salary worth with a debt of lets go with your number for lawschool...60k...lets say he also bought a house and a nice whip. thats indentured for life and 60 thousand of it is not a house or a car, its a piece of paper.

the sad thing is, that big a.ss investment in your law degree still doesnt insure that you will make what studies project you will make. i have 3 friends with law degrees that arent able to start their own practice because of their debt. one of them works at walmart, one works under a DA and the other...fu*k i dont know where he is. so what is different with them that they are not making 145k? what is your plan that will differentiate your future? if you make it happen thats dope. the odds are against you in getting out of that debt anytime soon.
Well different strokes for different folks bro. I'm well connected back in my hometown. With two strong relationships with hiring partners. (And I'm not even looking for a job in my hometown) My mother is a regional head of human resources and directly interacts with other lawyers both in Employment and general Business law practice. (By the way... She also went to college, worked her way up through the company from a secretarial position to where she is now... and couldn't have done it without her degree. So I don't think she was scammed) I just think your main problem is that you have an extremely slanted view against college in general. 60k is a capital investment. You have to do it to start your own business.

You ask what's wrong with your friends... I don't know. There are a lot of factors involved. I go to a school with a 95% hire rate after 9 months. HUGE reputation in the market I want to workin... And second highest ranked law school in my state. I got a running internship and part time hire in a GREAT legal market. I sent out letters, got on my grind... I'm not talking about what studies are projecting to make... I'm talking about standard deals of employment per terms outlined in the actual contracts granted... Which I have drafted. Considering the fact that I was hired in the summer, allowed to work during the semester and offered another job for the next summer... Plus with many reaffirmations [from the hiring partner] that I will be hired. That amount is pretty much all but certain, they just won't offer until the Spring of my last year. One of the oldest adages is you gotta spend money to make money.

Fact of the matter is a lot of the 35 points in the articles come down to individual choices and personal responsibility. My cousin graduated yesterday. Got a firm job offer for 80k working for Frito-Lay. Never would have gotten that job without his degree. Some people handle their business and college and do great... Some people flounder. Just means it wasn't your path. Just like you can fail in your own business... a person can make bad choices in college. The problem is not in the institution... It's the people's choices that adopted the institution.
 6 years ago '07        #103
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,409 | Props total: 2526 2526
 Rique said:
Gettin an mba with no work experience makes no sense to me
But it's so I don't have to go back. I took a great deal of business law courses, and I'm in a position where I can acquire one with possibly 0 additional semesters of school with a little bit of additional workload. If I wanted one after getting my law degree I'd have to back for the full amount

ahenson said:
I guess some of the people on this list saw that college wasn't really necessary.

But then again, they weren't complete idiots like the majority of the college applicants who actually would benefit from attending college and becoming a compensated peasant.
plus... within that article

When Paul Otellini, CEO of Intel, was asked by Newsweek magazine, “As a young man you worked summers in a slaughterhouse. What did you learn from that.” His answer? “To go to college.” Sometimes, college is a better alternative.
Different strokes for different folks That's all I've been saying

Last edited by Optimus Crime; 12-19-2011 at 01:25 AM..
 6 years ago '05        #104
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 ahenson said:
Dude, we all know you're lying. You're not interning for Baker and Mckenzie, you probably don't know the difference between self employed income, and occupational income according to the IRS, you have a gamertag posted in your signature, meaning you are a loser who spends a good a lot of time playing video games (i.e. wasting time, not studying, not working or bettering yourself), you're not going to be making $145k fresh out of law school, then to top it all off, you threw out $60,000 in student loan debt, like that's not an exhorbant figure. America has truly bred some retards.
What kind of retarded logic did I just read?

12-19-2011, 05:24 AM         #105
lifeundthescope 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this thread gots me scared yo, now im questioning going back to school I wanted to double major film/screenwriting & business and minor in some other field. Now I don't even know what I should do, shouldve never went in this thread got my motivation to get back into school fu*ked up
 12-19-2011, 05:57 AM         #106
iThink 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it's really only a scam if you let it be...i'm so glad i have a college education. i didn't fu*k around, handled my business and now i'm halfway done with my MPA with plans to move on to my doctorate about 3 or 4 years from now.

some of those facts...aren't shocking at all. particularly after the "not enough jobs" header. but pertaining to school, many of my friends i know for a fact never wrote anything near a 20 page paper while i as a political science/IR theory major had to write that much and more on more than a few occasions. even then, not on a regular basis.

in fact, many of these stats, the above mentioned in particular are alarmist stats designed to deceive anyone who doesn't understand bloom's taxonomy which breaks down the heirarchy of learning in regards to higher education. while the subject matter is supposed to be appropriately leveled, the model at the baccalaureate level is really supposed to be about understanding and remembering. any substantial "creation" as it were typically doesn't even come into play until the doctoral level. people generally don't need 20 pages or more to show you that they understand something...
 6 years ago '06        #107
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
 nastynoble said:
i wasnt hating at all. just stating my accompliments. even if you were hitting that 60k mark you were still working at a dealership? have you ever owned a business? its a completely different thing than working for someone else. not necessarily better, just different. and yes im completely happy making my 5 gs a month. and still would be even if i was making double that working for someone elses company. i dont answer to ANYBODY...if i fu*k up its on me. as far as vacations...i completely love what i do. i often hit up the clothing trade shows as part of my vacation but also get networking done. this is my first year and i have met my projections and then some. if i work hard enough i will see at least 25-30% growth in the coming year. in the end im pretty sure i love what i do more than he loves being a pharmacist.

i think its great that "college" helped do that for him but we dont know the debt he has accrued. what is that salary worth with a debt of lets go with your number for lawschool...60k...lets say he also bought a house and a nice whip. thats indentured for life and 60 thousand of it is not a house or a car, its a piece of paper.
I
the sad thing is, that big a.ss investment in your law degree still doesnt insure that you will make what studies project you will make. i have 3 friends with law degrees that arent able to start their own practice because of their debt. one of them works at walmart, one works under a DA and the other...fu*k i dont know where he is. so what is different with them that they are not making 145k? what is your plan that will differentiate your future? if you make it happen thats dope. the odds are against you in getting out of that debt anytime soon.
50k in loans and will be done paying in one more year
 6 years ago '06        #108
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,542 | Props total: 18056 18056
 lifeundthescope said:
this thread gots me scared yo, now im questioning going back to school I wanted to double major film/screenwriting & business and minor in some other field. Now I don't even know what I should do, shouldve never went in this thread got my motivation to get back into school fu*ked up
the thing is no offense there is no skill obtained from taking classes in film or screenwriting. If you go back to school id do research on the job market and see whats actually hiring. Obviously if you love film go ahead, but be prepared for not getting a job.

College now a days has so many majors that wont get you a job n it sucks.

Last edited by Rique; 12-19-2011 at 10:04 AM..
 12-19-2011, 10:38 AM         #109
escay_muzik 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
People can make a good living engaging in skilled trades without having to go through the hassle and expense of a college degree. The idea that "everyone should go to college" is of course absurd. Some people just aren't meant for it... if we were still exposing high school students to skilled trades, then maybe more of them would realize they could have a nice life without the hassle of paying back college loans....I know more kids I went to highschool with that makes more money than most of the college grads that I know. Out of my circle of friends, I'm one of the guys that went on with a trade...HVAC...but I spent my first 2 years out of highschool going to SF STATE and pretty much pissed away 12gs trying to get through pre-requisites......
 6 years ago '05        #110
pnoi89 11 heat pts11
space
space
$11,314 | Props total: 4742 4742
People hate on college cause they don't know how to take full advantage of it and immediately call it a scam. You're not spoonfed on a correct way to use college, you're adults. People need to figure out that college is an amazing tool and a door for great once in a lifetime opportunities.

I'm finishing with my degree in mechanical engineering in the spring and already given an offer for a pipeline engineering position in Houston that pays pretty decent for the cost of living. And to top that off.. 0 student loans.

I'm just sayin'..
 6 years ago '05        #111
poeknock 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,727 | Props total: 157 157
I graduated in 2005 with about 15K in loan debt which isn't bad over the course of 4 years.. It's not really a scam if you handle your business and take advantage of all the things allotted to you as a college student.. But I will say, as far as career it does come down to luck and who you know sometime, so don't be shy, get out there and network and intern, that ish is the most important thing you can do and can separate you from the million other 20 somethings out here looking for a job.. I have a high paying job right now that I can honestly say I got EXTREMELY lucky in getting..
agreed. I tell ppl all the time college doesnt hurt unless you let it bc i just finished gettin an AS in network admin an i start my bach in jan in web design. I will have some debt when its all done but i used my army benefits to pay for most of it an im debt free other than school now an i got the house, car an all that so me an my fam is cool...but networking is key bc its all about who you know
 6 years ago '07        #112
nastynoble 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,748 | Props total: 126 126
 Optimus Crime said:
Well different strokes for different folks bro. I'm well connected back in my hometown. With two strong relationships with hiring partners. (And I'm not even looking for a job in my hometown) My mother is a regional head of human resources and directly interacts with other lawyers both in Employment and general Business law practice. (By the way... She also went to college, worked her way up through the company from a secretarial position to where she is now... and couldn't have done it without her degree. So I don't think she was scammed) I just think your main problem is that you have an extremely slanted view against college in general. 60k is a capital investment. You have to do it to start your own business.

You ask what's wrong with your friends... I don't know. There are a lot of factors involved. I go to a school with a 95% hire rate after 9 months. HUGE reputation in the market I want to workin... And second highest ranked law school in my state. I got a running internship and part time hire in a GREAT legal market. I sent out letters, got on my grind... I'm not talking about what studies are projecting to make... I'm talking about standard deals of employment per terms outlined in the actual contracts granted... Which I have drafted. Considering the fact that I was hired in the summer, allowed to work during the semester and offered another job for the next summer... Plus with many reaffirmations [from the hiring partner] that I will be hired. That amount is pretty much all but certain, they just won't offer until the Spring of my last year. One of the oldest adages is you gotta spend money to make money.

Fact of the matter is a lot of the 35 points in the articles come down to individual choices and personal responsibility. My cousin graduated yesterday. Got a firm job offer for 80k working for Frito-Lay. Never would have gotten that job without his degree. Some people handle their business and college and do great... Some people flounder. Just means it wasn't your path. Just like you can fail in your own business... a person can make bad choices in college. The problem is not in the institution... It's the people's choices that adopted the institution.
of course you have to invest some of your own capital when starting a business. but this is a direct investment to flip money. not to buy a piece of paper that may help me flip money in the future.

LMAO@ your 95% hire rate. they include anyone that can find any type of job in that 95%; waiters, store clerks, etc. look for a hire rate survey that is specific to field of study. also, most employment studies are done by universities themselves and are much less than a complete study. and we know the reason they would do this is to keep the fake demand for their degrees up to get their enrollment up.

i cant believe you really tried to use that bs statistic.

i still cant believe that you only will have accrued only 60k in debt and you say that you are attending a top-tier law school.

and what is your cousin going to be hired for at frito-lay with no work experience?

to believe the story you just told me. you must be one of two things. 1) a top student in your top-tier law school or 2) a very naive college student

the whole point of this thread is to hold the argument that people are being sold false hopes. and i have yet to see anyone opposed to that proposition say anything other than..."its the individuals" fault when the truth is that they are being LIED to by the system. that is by definition a scam.
 6 years ago '07        #113
nastynoble 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,748 | Props total: 126 126
 pnoi89 said:
People hate on college cause they don't know how to take full advantage of it and immediately call it a scam. You're not spoonfed on a correct way to use college, you're adults. People need to figure out that college is an amazing tool and a door for great once in a lifetime opportunities.

I'm finishing with my degree in mechanical engineering in the spring and already given an offer for a pipeline engineering position in Houston that pays pretty decent for the cost of living. And to top that off.. 0 student loans.

I'm just sayin'..
nice generalizations bud.
 6 years ago '05        #114
HARBINGER|M 448 heat pts448
space
space
$48,310 | Props total: 6446 6446
another way for them to own you
 6 years ago '09        #115
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,100 | Props total: 1837 1837
*Bookmarks*
 6 years ago '04        #116
ScaledAt10 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,657 | Props total: 1072 1072
college sucks! Sike...
 12-19-2011, 05:12 PM         #117
lifeundthescope 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
the thing is no offense there is no skill obtained from taking classes in film or screenwriting. If you go back to school id do research on the job market and see whats actually hiring. Obviously if you love film go ahead, but be prepared for not getting a job.

College now a days has so many majors that wont get you a job n it sucks.
I'm positive I can get plenty of internships in the film industry since I live in Los Angeles and will be going to school here.
 12-19-2011, 06:40 PM         #118
ahenson 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bea5T said:
What kind of retarded logic did I just read?

Now...Considering you can't read and have never studied logic before, i'll disregard your statement.
 12-20-2011, 12:15 AM         #119
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 YARKONE said:
iu vthink the biggest problem with college is... when u get out of high school, they havent shown you the routes to take to get what you want... because you dont know what u want.
TRUTH.

people can scream it down your throat but the american school system leaves people ill prepared to go to college once out of high school.

if youre not one of those prep kids that had high honors and GPA youre almost fu*ked reguardless, goes double for inner city students.

prep schools >>>> high school

because you can actually do something with that prep certificate even if you dont plan on going to college
 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM         #120
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
no response? really?
Home         

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
59 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
joie chavis
34 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
8 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
192 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
94 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
58 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy