The 10 Biggest What-Ifs in NBA History

most viewed right now
 163
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
68 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 130
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
37 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 114
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
17 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 89
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
75 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
8847 pageviews
128 comments


Dat_BK_Nicca 49 heat pts49
space
avatar space
space
$8,226 | Props total: 797 797
The 10 Biggest What-Ifs in NBA History
 

 
10. What If the Trail Blazers Picked Jordan?

Scenes like this are what we remember about basketball's greatest player: Jordan, tongue out, driving the lane in his red and white Chicago jersey with the matching sneakers. Kids all over the country emulated it, dreamt they were like No. 23 leading the Windy City to all those titles.

Sorry, Portland. It should have been "The City of Roses." Fans know the cringe-worthy-in-retrospect-backstory: They had a chance, and picked Sam Bowie instead. With the second overall pick, the Blazers passed on Jordan in the 1984 NBA Draft (Houston nabbed future Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon first, so they get a pass of sorts).

The rest is a sad, thorny, championship-less-since and repeated history for the Pacific Northwest metropolis.

9. What If Robert Horry Didn't Have a Clutch Jump-Shot?
We all know Jordan rocks six rings, maybe even bought the poster, too. We know Bill Russell has 11 in his jewelry box. But among these greats at the top is Robert Horry with seven. He's obviously not as talented, but he's wearing so many thanks in part to his wickedly clutch jumper.

Without Horry, the Sacramento Kings would have likely won the NBA title, forever altering that francise's path. Without Horry, Phil Jackson's and Shaq's and Kobe's legacy would have a little less luster; same goes for Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich.

NBA championships came via his shots, and the game's history would be different if he wasn't so nails in crunch-time.


8. What If Kermit Washington Hadn't Slugged Rudy Tomjanovich?

Gather 'round for a history lesson if this tale of on-the-court violence and its consequences doesn't breach the walls of your memory banks. This instant, this one punch, went on to define the lives of two NBA stars.

The Cliff Notes of the Cliff Notes: In 1977, Washington slugged Tomjanovich with a vicious hook shot that mangled his face and irrevocably altered both of their playing careers. Washington has been forever labeled a pariah, and Tomjanovich's time as a player was cut short.

Try Googling either one of these players and the "punching" will pop up first. That's especially substantial considering Tomjanovich is a championship-winning coach.

7. What If the Piston's Didn't Draft Darko?
Face-palm. Eye-roll. Screams of disbelief.

All three will forever be appropriate reactions for when you remember who the Pistons passed on in the 2003 draft. It didn't take a decade to know this was an all-time flub. It didn't even take half-a-season to know they misfired picking the "Human Victory Cigar" in lieu of Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

Oh, Darko.

6. What If Havlicek Hadn't 'Stolen the Ball'?

No need here for play-by-play, this video covers that rather legendarily. This is one of the seminal moments of NBA history, one that helped shape the legacies of Bill Russell and Red Auerbach and Wilt Chamberlain (he came up on the losing side).

John Havliceck's name doesn't have the same cachet, but without this play, the Celtics' run isn't as grand, which in turn dilutes and changes the history surrounding the league itself for decades to come.

5. What If LeBron Chose New York?

Sure, you can say jokes and write snide comments all you want about everyone's favorite NBA villain. I'll get it out of the way now so we can move on: "He'd still be a bum/choke in the the fourth quarter/be ringless/etc..."

OK, now that we've gotten it out of the way, his "decision" has to be examined. LeBron is such a star, such a talented player, that he had the ability to forever improve whatever franchise landed his talents. If he chose New York, it could have altered the NBA.

Leading the Knicks back to prominence would've been the preferred route of the David Sterns and Staten Islanders and Manhattanites of the sporting world...but it didn't happen.

4. What If Magic Johnson Hadn't Publicized Contracting HIV?

On the court, Johnson is one of the all-time best. We all know this; it's not news. In 1991, that's how the world perceived Johnson. Then came his November announcement. It shocked. It astounded. It became a moment that transcended sports and made him more than just a superlatively talented ballplayer.

Johnson opened up to everyone about HIV. He became the face of a movement. He changed perceptions. He became an icon and a role model for those around the world dealing with and affected by HIV and AIDS.

He was a torch-bearer on a taboo and scary subject that needed to be brought to light, and it definitely brings up questions about his own career and society if he stayed silent.

3. What If Willis Reed Didn't Play Game 7?
Whenever a player gets hurt in the NBA Finals and comes back—even if it's a little bo-bo that a children's size Band-Aid can make all better—some member of the media will blow their intelligence gasket and reference Willis Reed.

Expected not to play because of a severe hip injury, Reed came back in 1970s Game 7 for the Knicks and helped will the team to victory, which in turn helped add to New York's vaunted reputation as a hallowed franchise even though they've been terrible for a long time now.

2. What If Len Bias Didn't Overdose?

One of the all-time sports tragedies, no doubt. There's been myriad stories and biographies and documentaries dedicated to Len Bias, the super-talented, second-overall pick by the Celtics who died two days after the 1986 draft from a cocaine overdose. They all cover it well, are in depth, and are scrupulous with the details of what could have been.

College star at Maryland. Lottery pick. Then, nothing but sadness and forever lingering thoughts about how far Bias' talent had the ability to take him.

1. What If Michael Jordan Didn't Retire to Play Baseball?
The best way to address this is to simply answer a question with an unavoidable question: How many more championships would he have won? He stepped away in the prime of his career to play minor-league baseball, and there's no doubt Chicago would have had at least a couple more victory parades and cigar-lighting parties had No. 23 been around.

What if Jordan stayed? What if he didn't chase his baseball desires in 1993? Questions like these will forever be asked by the fans.

128 comments for "The 10 Biggest What-Ifs in NBA History"

 6 years ago '10        #2
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
last 10 knick seasons
 6 years ago '06        #3
down2earth 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$3,391 | Props total: 0 0
What if the Rockets and Bulls had met in the NBA finals.
 6 years ago '07        #4
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$38,313 | Props total: 10062 10062
 Dat_BK_Nicca said:
10. What If the Trail Blazers Picked Jordan?

Scenes like this are what we remember about basketball's greatest player: Jordan, tongue out, driving the lane in his red and white Chicago jersey with the matching sneakers. Kids all over the country emulated it, dreamt they were like No. 23 leading the Windy City to all those titles.

Sorry, Portland. It should have been "The City of Roses." Fans know the cringe-worthy-in-retrospect-backstory: They had a chance, and picked Sam Bowie instead. With the second overall pick, the Blazers passed on Jordan in the 1984 NBA Draft (Houston nabbed future Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon first, so they get a pass of sorts).

The rest is a sad, thorny, championship-less-since and repeated history for the Pacific Northwest metropolis.

9. What If Robert Horry Didn't Have a Clutch Jump-Shot?
We all know Jordan rocks six rings, maybe even bought the poster, too. We know Bill Russell has 11 in his jewelry box. But among these greats at the top is Robert Horry with seven. He's obviously not as talented, but he's wearing so many thanks in part to his wickedly clutch jumper.

Without Horry, the Sacramento Kings would have likely won the NBA title, forever altering that francise's path. Without Horry, Phil Jackson's and Shaq's and Kobe's legacy would have a little less luster; same goes for Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich.

NBA championships came via his shots, and the game's history would be different if he wasn't so nails in crunch-time.


8. What If Kermit Washington Hadn't Slugged Rudy Tomjanovich?

Gather 'round for a history lesson if this tale of on-the-court violence and its consequences doesn't breach the walls of your memory banks. This instant, this one punch, went on to define the lives of two NBA stars.

The Cliff Notes of the Cliff Notes: In 1977, Washington slugged Tomjanovich with a vicious hook shot that mangled his face and irrevocably altered both of their playing careers. Washington has been forever labeled a pariah, and Tomjanovich's time as a player was cut short.

Try Googling either one of these players and the "punching" will pop up first. That's especially substantial considering Tomjanovich is a championship-winning coach.

7. What If the Piston's Didn't Draft Darko?
Face-palm. Eye-roll. Screams of disbelief.

All three will forever be appropriate reactions for when you remember who the Pistons passed on in the 2003 draft. It didn't take a decade to know this was an all-time flub. It didn't even take half-a-season to know they misfired picking the "Human Victory Cigar" in lieu of Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

Oh, Darko.

6. What If Havlicek Hadn't 'Stolen the Ball'?

No need here for play-by-play, this video covers that rather legendarily. This is one of the seminal moments of NBA history, one that helped shape the legacies of Bill Russell and Red Auerbach and Wilt Chamberlain (he came up on the losing side).

John Havliceck's name doesn't have the same cachet, but without this play, the Celtics' run isn't as grand, which in turn dilutes and changes the history surrounding the league itself for decades to come.

5. What If LeBron Chose New York?

Sure, you can say jokes and write snide comments all you want about everyone's favorite NBA villain. I'll get it out of the way now so we can move on: "He'd still be a bum/choke in the the fourth quarter/be ringless/etc..."

OK, now that we've gotten it out of the way, his "decision" has to be examined. LeBron is such a star, such a talented player, that he had the ability to forever improve whatever franchise landed his talents. If he chose New York, it could have altered the NBA.

Leading the Knicks back to prominence would've been the preferred route of the David Sterns and Staten Islanders and Manhattanites of the sporting world...but it didn't happen.

4. What If Magic Johnson Hadn't Publicized Contracting HIV?

On the court, Johnson is one of the all-time best. We all know this; it's not news. In 1991, that's how the world perceived Johnson. Then came his November announcement. It shocked. It astounded. It became a moment that transcended sports and made him more than just a superlatively talented ballplayer.

Johnson opened up to everyone about HIV. He became the face of a movement. He changed perceptions. He became an icon and a role model for those around the world dealing with and affected by HIV and AIDS.

He was a torch-bearer on a taboo and scary subject that needed to be brought to light, and it definitely brings up questions about his own career and society if he stayed silent.

3. What If Willis Reed Didn't Play Game 7?
Whenever a player gets hurt in the NBA Finals and comes back—even if it's a little bo-bo that a children's size Band-Aid can make all better—some member of the media will blow their intelligence gasket and reference Willis Reed.

Expected not to play because of a severe hip injury, Reed came back in 1970s Game 7 for the Knicks and helped will the team to victory, which in turn helped add to New York's vaunted reputation as a hallowed franchise even though they've been terrible for a long time now.

2. What If Len Bias Didn't Overdose?

One of the all-time sports tragedies, no doubt. There's been myriad stories and biographies and documentaries dedicated to Len Bias, the super-talented, second-overall pick by the Celtics who died two days after the 1986 draft from a cocaine overdose. They all cover it well, are in depth, and are scrupulous with the details of what could have been.

College star at Maryland. Lottery pick. Then, nothing but sadness and forever lingering thoughts about how far Bias' talent had the ability to take him.

1. What If Michael Jordan Didn't Retire to Play Baseball?
The best way to address this is to simply answer a question with an unavoidable question: How many more championships would he have won? He stepped away in the prime of his career to play minor-league baseball, and there's no doubt Chicago would have had at least a couple more victory parades and cigar-lighting parties had No. 23 been around.

What if Jordan stayed? What if he didn't chase his baseball desires in 1993? Questions like these will forever be asked by the fans.
11. What if Minnesota gave Marbury his money and he and Garnett stayed teammates?
 6 years ago '05        #5
iggyemu 
space
avatar space
space
$24,787 | Props total: 4903 4903
12. What if Chris Paul was traded to the Lakers?
 6 years ago '07        #6
Dat_BK_Nicca 49 heat pts49 OP
space
avatar space
space
$8,226 | Props total: 797 797
 iggyemu said:
12. What if Chris Paul was traded to the Lakers?
i can expect that question to be asked in a couple of years
 6 years ago '10        #7
sho 2010 196 heat pts196
space
space
space
$41,938 | Props total: 5187 5187
13. Would If Tim Duncan went to Orlando?
 12-11-2011, 08:59 PM         #8
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
2. What If Len Bias Didn't Overdose?
 6 years ago '05        #9
dahabi 90 heat pts90
space
avatar space
space
$10,759 | Props total: 1240 1240
nfl what-if:

what if andrew luck entered last years draft? where is cam newton?
 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM         #10
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
14. What if seattle kept the sonics and ray allen stayed?
 6 years ago '07        #11
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
avatar space
space
$34,395 | Props total: 13067 13067
i'm surprised all 10 of them rn't about the knicks
 6 years ago '10        #12
sho 2010 196 heat pts196
space
space
space
$41,938 | Props total: 5187 5187
 dahabi said:
nfl what-if:

what if andrew luck entered last years draft? where is cam newton?
 6 years ago '04        #13
dj X 33 heat pts33
space
avatar space
space
$18,738 | Props total: 6443 6443
What if Latrell Sprewell didn't have a family to feed?
 6 years ago '06        #14
bran 146 heat pts146
space
avatar space
space
$3,186 | Props total: 4 4
what if the Sixers didn't take Shawn Bradley over Penny and Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce and Dirk
 6 years ago '07        #15
Dat_BK_Nicca 49 heat pts49 OP
space
avatar space
space
$8,226 | Props total: 797 797
 dj X said:
What if Latrell Sprewell didn't have a family to feed?
 6 years ago '05        #16
dahabi 90 heat pts90
space
avatar space
space
$10,759 | Props total: 1240 1240
 dj X said:
What if Latrell Sprewell didn't have a family to feed?
 6 years ago '10        #17
sho 2010 196 heat pts196
space
space
space
$41,938 | Props total: 5187 5187
Would if Lebron never left Cleveland?
 6 years ago '05        #18
ThiZZ 157 heat pts157
space
avatar space
space
$12,426 | Props total: 5 5
What if Tim Donaghy didn't ref the Lakers/Kings series
 6 years ago '04        #19
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
avatar space
space
$25,081 | Props total: 4427 4427
what if calipari would have drafted kobe

what if kenny anderson never broke his wrist

what if derick coleman wanted to be a great basketball player

what if drazen petrovic didnt die

what if jayson williams didnt shatter his leg
 6 years ago '04        #20
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
avatar space
space
$25,081 | Props total: 4427 4427
 bran said:
what if the Sixers didn't take Shawn Bradley over Penny and Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce and Dirk
billy king built the perfect team around a.i.

him and dirk or pierce never would have worked
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 32
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
81 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 28
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
72 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 26
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 16
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
82 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 15
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
32 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 10
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 9
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy