Pitchfork delivers Ether of the year on "Camp"

most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM         #41
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WorldsStrangest said:
no they dont they follow trends and start flame wars within their own community for extra clicks. they cant seem to get enough of Lil B but he moved 1700 first week. Doesnt sound like much a career break to me.

He probably used his NBC bread to buy a couple of those. God can strike me down right now if i ever heard anyone talk about Gambino or 90% of the rappers people like here outside of BX. And I was just in a barbershop today.....

im not even hating just telling the truth.
I live near a college campus, I haven't heard one person talk about Childish Gambino, but I heard a GANG of people talk about Community and Donald's WEIRDO. I even held a Mystery Team conversation

Childish Gambino needs that MTV payola like they did for Mac Miller.
 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM         #42
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dangerously said:
I live near a college campus, I haven't heard one person talk about Childish Gambino, but I heard a GANG of people talk about Community and Donald's WEIRDO. I even held a Mystery Team conversation

Childish Gambino needs that MTV payola like they did for Mac Miller.
The crazy part is, hes probably not gonna stop til he gets over. He probably is one of the dudes in the biz that can afford to be 100% indie. Dude is gonna use his 30 rock residuals for his music budget.
 6 years ago '07        #43
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,405 | Props total: 2525 2525
 JosephDoom said:
most idiotic statement ever...

[video - click to view]

lol yeah like NBC and Boxden gave this video 5.6 million views. I'm on the fence about Donald Glover as a rapper... Hell even as a standup (I think he's a great joke writer.... But needs more with regards to actually performing the jokes... imo) But I know a lot of people that talk about Childish Gambino. Hell I'm in law school and somebody wore a "Camp" t-shirt to my Tax class I think he just has an intensely loyal fanbase
 6 years ago '08        #44
flix02 2055 heat pts2055
space
space
$10,632 | Props total: 3749 3749
 Sam Rothstein said:
1.6? Damn. All you have to do is complete an album to get that score.
 6 years ago '08        #45
DooM 66 heat pts66
space
space
$28,017 | Props total: 19927 19927
 WorldsStrangest said:
He probably used his NBC bread to buy a couple of those. God can strike me down right now if i ever heard anyone talk about Gambino or 90% of the rappers people like here outside of BX. And I was just in a barbershop today.....

im not even hating just telling the truth.
you can never state the truth when theres the world "probably" in the beginning of your statement.

i dont hate on opinions because thats what they are.... i only respond to outright ignorance
 6 years ago '04        #46
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,566 | Props total: 2426 2426

[pic - click to view]

12-02-2011, 01:21 PM         #47
Shakespeare  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Saw that they gave the new Black Keys album a decent score

Saw "Camp" and figured they'd give it a perfect score since it's hipster-core rap

Saw the score

Then remembered they gave Distant Relatives a 6/10 but gave Wakka an 8/10
 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM         #48
3rdpiano  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FappingFapstar said:
its cuz he dissed them on one of the songs

camp is 9/10
NAH. 7/10 at best for me.
 6 years ago '04        #49
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
Gambino smashed a Pitchfork reviewer's girl

I was maad hyped for the album, but it didn't reach my expectations, I guess that's my fault. The production was "eh" -- some really dope songs, but for the most part, nothing special. The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me though, I give it like a 6.5/10 -- his prior material is a lot better, like the Childish Gambino EP, that was dope as hell!

1.6 is just hating in my opinion.
 6 years ago '10        #50
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,734 | Props total: 19634 19634
Gambino isn't for everyone, because I know for sure that he's a.sscheeks just by my friends reciting his lyrics.
 6 years ago '05        #51
pele20 3 heat pts
space
space
$924 | Props total: 243 243
Camp is a nice album... I was riding in the car from stl to chi, and I listened to Drake the Childish G. the Wale... I liked Camp the best...
 6 years ago '06        #52
johnny 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,103 | Props total: 223 223
<insert Didn't read gif>
 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM         #53
THNKS  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lasers-trash
camp-just ok...had good instrumentation

but they hit u with facts to why it got a 1.6...i havent seen anyone say anything backed with facts for their argument...

pitchfork isnt a white and black thing...its a originator and follower thing...u may feel a certain way about lil b or waka but they followed their own plan without catering to anyone elses music or sound...i liked a few songs from donald but in the back of your mind u cant write-off that he is directly biting kanye...wayne...& a lil bit of drake
 6 years ago '11        #54
King Henry 548 heat pts548
space
space
$43,970 | Props total: 9962 9962
They mad because he dissed them. fu*k lame a.ss Pitchfork
 6 years ago '04        #55
haterade2885 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,780 | Props total: 102 102
 SkateboardT said:
regardless....they ALL like lil b like that
i dunno, i think camp isnt nearly as bad as the reviewer thinks it is. and due to the fact that he keeps referencing kanye, it seems like someone may possibly be a stan. ive heard some really bad punchlines before, gambino isnt the worst. his album is at the very least fun, and he does showcase a decent skill of producing, singing, and rapping.

allmusic.com (which are the reviews seen on itunes) has camp at 4 out of 5 stars

"In the time before this wonderful album named Camp existed, the “actors who rap” proposition would have been all red flags. Brian Austin Green, Mr. T, Joaquin Phoenix, and many others are on the “cons” list, while the “pros” would have been Drake (barely counts, unless Degrassi: The Next Generation was your thing) and maybe AVN award-winner Dirt nasty. These were the horrible odds Community star and comedy writer Donald Glover was up against when he took the Internet’s Wu-Tang Name Generator to heart and became rapper Childish Gambino, but anyone who right-clicked on one of his 2010/2011 mixtapes can tell you, he beat those odds, and with Camp, indie rap fans won the Lotto. The gloriously different and wonderfully inspired rhymes that downloaders experienced are here once more, and Gambino’s style is still that attractive blend of heartfelt and humorous or, in a nutshell, I-just-wasn’t-made-for-these-times-and-yet-I-love-the-Internet with “That ain’t even ironic bi*ch/I love Rugrats!” being a quintessential punch line/decree. He’s got that Kanye-sized swagger on lock too, as the triumphant “All the Shine” struts with vibrant colors, and he's just as complicated, as the track slowly descends into self-doubt and earth tones before it fades into the soft and meek “Letter Home,” all of it adding up to some kind of bizarre and ambitious bipolar backpacker suite. Nerdy wonders and insightful laughs are the reasons you want to visit Camp Gambino, but you’ll stay for the lush, surprisingly large production from Glover and Ludwig Göransson, along with the thrill of untangling it all for hours on end, separating the incredibly cool moments from the touching ones and figuring out how this “actor who raps” packaged it all sensibly in a concept album about summer camp that doubles as his showcase debut. Try it and be stunned or submit to it and be satiated; Camp is like the Drake, Cudi, and Kweli camps all offered their best, but it’s really just Glover and his overwhelming bundle of talent, taking indie hip-hop to new levels after spending the day working alongside Chevy Chase. Remarkable."

6 years ago '04        #56
Ghostface08 19 heat pts19
space
space
$626 | Props total: 1 1
Why is BX defending him like hes actually nice? Talented writer/actor but this n*gga is a straight corndog when hes on the mic
 12-02-2011, 03:28 PM         #57
Shawn James  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I agree with this rating.
 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM         #58
Ca$h Out  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm Gay > Camp
 6 years ago '04        #59
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6514 6514
 Ghostface08 said:
Why is BX defending him like hes actually nice? Talented writer/actor but this n*gga is a straight corndog when hes on the mic
but a 1/10?

i didn't like recovery that much but that album is not 2/10. untitled got a 3/10

a lot of their rap reviews make people scratch their heads
 6 years ago '09        #60
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,699 | Props total: 13240 13240
childish gambino is dope to me.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
74 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
183 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
49 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
62 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
20 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy