Pitchfork delivers Ether of the year on "Camp"

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-02-2011, 12:17 AM         #1
7992 pageviews
115 comments

Karamu 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pitchfork delivers Ether of the year on "Camp"

[pic - click to view]

Childish Gambino: Camp | Album Reviews | Pitchfork

[pic - click to view]

If you buy only one hip-hop album this year, I'm guessing it'll be Camp. Because while Campmaintains some of the overweening humor of Donald Glover's sitcom "Community", it essentially serves the same purpose. While Glover's exaggerated, cartoonish flow and overblown pop-rap production would be enough to make Camp one of the most uniquely unlikable rap records of this year (and most others), what's worse is how he uses heavy topics like race, masculinity, relationships, street cred, and "real hip-hop" as props to construct a false outsider persona. On record, he paints himself as a misunderstood victim of cultural preconceptions who is obviously smarter and funnier than his primetime material suggests. Unfortunately, it's a position that holds up to absolutely no scrutiny whatsoever.

Glover's not doing himself any favors with a rap handle taken from the Wu-Tang Name Generator, but that'd be easy to overlook if Camp functioned as anything more than a series of similar one-note gags. On a song-by-song basis, Glover scripts a slightly off-brand, fictional version of Kanye West being played for laughs. We could talk about Glover's bloodlines all day, but Childish Gambino's paternity test traces straight back to "All Falls Down". While he painfully leans into herniated punchlines like, "She's an overachiever/ All she does is suck seed," "You See Me" reimagines "n*ggas in Paris" as a meme cemetery. (Or maybe "Asian girls everywhere... UCLA!" will eventually end up on a T-shirt.) The bottle-service electro of "Heartbeat" could have been the 10th-funniest song on 808s & Heartbreak-- somewhere between "The Coldest Winter" and "Love Lockdown"-- and it's actually trying for laughs. A few tracks focus on more inspirational topics than "making up for the fu*ks I missed in high school," but they usually emulate "Jesus Walks", or when trying to be slightly more humble,"Get By". But any shred of relatability Glover establishes by reminiscing about sinkbaths with his cousin, or trying to fit into the white school his parents busted their a.sses to send him to, are cancelled out by R&B hooks so garish and impersonal they make Lupe Fiasco's Lasers sound dignified.

Supporters may rush to praise Glover as a "multi-talent" due to Camp's self-production, but his cratedigging begins with The College Dropout and ends with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, all of it Blingee'd up with a.ssistance from "Community" composer Ludwig Goransson. Yes, that's a lot of Yeezy talk, but the most insidious aspect of Camp is how Glover operates from a pre-Kanye inferiority complex where he senses that any dismissal of his music stems from gangsta rap still being the predominant aesthetic version of hip-hop (never mind that the most commercially relevant guy who can be feasibly be called "gangsta rap" right now is Rick Ross, and even he's widely beloved on account of being an acknowledged pathological liar). This much is obvious from the tone-deaf "All of the Shine," and especially "Backpackers", a preemptive strike at his always-male, usually educated haters. Note how its title co-opts the one epithet more outdated than "hipster" in rap music circa 2011.

Glover isn't strictly a comedy rapper, but he flows like a comic actor: When he's trying to be playful, his voice hitches in a pubescent squeak, and when he "goes in," he's still delivering one room-clearing punchline after another with the earnestness of the most confused Rhymesayers guy ever. At the very least, Camp can serve as hashtag rap's tombstone, and I'll just present some choice quotes without comment so you can decide for yourself: "I made the beat and murdered it, Casey Anthony," "You can kiss my a.ss, Human Centipede," "I got a girl on my arm, dude show respect/ Something crazy and Asian, Virginia Tech."

Every attempt Glover makes to present himself as an inside operative confounding stereotypes about mainstream rap rings totally false. In "Fire Fly", he brags about the ease of scoring college gigs and college girls (while rhyming "LSU" with "molest you") and then complains: "No live shows because I can't find sponsors/ For the only black guy at a Sufjan concert." Bullsh*t. OK, look: I realize that there's a chance some kid will hear that line and feel validated, and you know, the last thing we need is an armchair cracker like myself relating contrary anecdotal evidence about the crowd at Sufjan Stevens' last concert. So let's just look at the facts: Jay-Z and Beyoncé could be seen at Grizzly Bear shows in 2009, Justin Vernonhas a free pass to jump on any track he chooses, and producers spent the year sampling Beach House, the xx, and Tame Impala. How does Glover explain Drake? Is he "crazy or hood," or just a half-Jewish, former child actor from Toronto who's already sold 600,000 copies of Take Care while signed to Lil Wayne's record label? I mean, sub-major hip-hop isn't a post-cred, post-racial utopia by any means, but I can't think of another time when there were more options for listeners of just about any race or background seeking to identify with rappers on a non-allegorical level. I just have to a.ssume Glover has completely ignored the success of (amongst many, many others) Lil B, G-Side, Main Attrakionz, Curren$y,Kendrick Lamar, Odd Future, Danny Brown, and especially Das Racist when he meekly moans, "Is there room in the game for a lame that rhymes/ And wears short shorts and tells jokes sometimes?" It's the perfect summation of Camp: preposterously self-obsessed, but not the least bit self-aware. Tell me that ain't insecure.

115 comments for "Pitchfork delivers Ether of the year on "Camp""

12-02-2011, 12:25 AM         #2
rafi  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Str8Killa said:
he gives lil b 7.5-9.5

i dont think his opinion matters anymore
link.
 6 years ago '05        #3
Rockobox 76 heat pts76
space
space
$12,376 | Props total: 1 1
 6 years ago '06        #4
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,224 | Props total: 5033 5033
i figured they would like Childish Gambino hipster hop
 12-02-2011, 12:30 AM         #5
Karamu  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Str8Killa said:

and look for BasedGodVeli he gave it 7.3++
pitchfork is a staff of reviewers, they come up with the score together and have one writer for each review
 6 years ago '10        #6
Kool Aid 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,956 | Props total: 1985 1985
Did dude call himself a cracker??
 6 years ago '11        #7
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
I'm gay wasn't that bad the production was tight
 6 years ago '08        #8
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,104 | Props total: 23319 23319
pitchfork sucks for rap reviews. I thought you guys knew that?
 12-02-2011, 12:42 AM         #9
rafi  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Str8Killa said:

and look for BasedGodVeli he gave it 7.3++
different reviewer. the only lil b record ian cohen (who wrote the review for Camp) reviewed was Illusions of Grandeur and it got a 6.0.

12-02-2011, 12:45 AM         #10
Marvin Hagler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that n*gga sh*t all over Gambino mayne
 12-02-2011, 12:46 AM         #11
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It wasn't that bad and this review is pretty p!ss poor. They demean him for sh*t they give props to Lil' B for doing. They only like Lil' B because he's like the Wesley Willis of rap, semi-retarded but somehow manages to function.

Donald probably fu*ked dude's girl or something

That being said, Camp isn't that great. It's good, but some n*ggas on here said it was better than Watch The Throne or Take Care
 12-02-2011, 12:47 AM         #12
Prophecy_projet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I can't say I'm surprised.
The hipster blogverse actually hates Childish Gambino rather than likes him cause of the reasons stated here. And Ian Cohen has a certain taste, who almost certainly takes things said on the albums personally even if they disagree with his view (for example the off hand comment Donald makes about being a rapper in short shorts. Dude is clearly rapping about a perception that still exists despite the rise of blog/nerd rap. Cohen thinks because he's in that hub its popular culture. Its not still. All those acts he named havent really really really blown up like that to be accepted amongst the masses yet). He hates rappers who try to be concious but loves the overall swag rap that is contemporary. Dude gave Lil B that rating but gave Untitled a 3/10.

I still like the album for what it is even with the flaws. Yeah half the time he's joking to the point of parody and then there's times where he serious but conflicted. Its a very honest and fun album. It just lacks the rich production that there's critics want.

But yeah Pitchfork is from the class of writers as Complex, Spin, Village Voice and all those white brooklyn based blog writers that are usually just douches lol

Last edited by Prophecy_projet; 12-02-2011 at 12:52 AM..
 6 years ago '09        #13
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,223 | Props total: 19333 19333
 Arson said:
pitchfork sucks for rap reviews. I thought you guys knew that?
they should by now...outside of rap they make some good reviews tho
 6 years ago '09        #14
JewsusChrist 211 heat pts211
space
space
space
$17,406 | Props total: 73 73
its cuz he dissed them on one of the songs

camp is 9/10
 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM         #15
Prophecy_projet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
needledrop is pretty good. Although I just peep whats on content blogs and decide myself.
 6 years ago '07        #16
S0ap 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,424 | Props total: 291 291
i'd never trust a pitchfork rap review. Camp is a solid 8/10 at least.
 12-02-2011, 02:58 AM         #17
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pitchfork is hipster bait. They praise Rick Ross for being a liar, and then use new york post type buzzwords to make themselves seem smart.

its a magazine with no morals or standards

keep in mind, i think Donald Glover rap gimmick is pure a.ss. Stick to writing for Tiny Fey
 6 years ago '04        #18
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,387 | Props total: 6420 6420
this is like the 10th thread this year where everybody agrees that pitchfork has sh!tty rap reviews

i don't even know why we even post them anymore
 6 years ago '10        #19
Mocking Mind 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,448 | Props total: 88 88
 ballergenetics said:
sputnik music >>>>
Pitchfork >>>

For everything except rap..even though this review was on point. Camp was garbage.
 6 years ago '08        #20
DooM 66 heat pts66
space
space
$28,001 | Props total: 19904 19904
HAHAHA pitchfork mad.. Camp is one of the best albums this year, didnt know what pitchfork was until i heard camp anyway.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
53 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now