Nov 25 - Dude in Texas who got house for $16 still living it up (Everyone still salty)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
36 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
98 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
12 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Shaking it with no draws on
5 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
7807 pageviews
76 comments

Panasonic 82 heat pts82
space
space
$5,677 | Props total: 1462 1462
Nov 25 - Dude in Texas who got house for $16 still living it up (Everyone still salty)

Upon reading about Kenneth Robinson (the dude that got that house for 16 bucks) a few months back here, I wanted to follow up to see wtf happened to this nikkah. This is the latest update I could find...neighbors stilllll salty image

[pic - click to view]

Source:
[pic - click to view]

Flower Mound squatter still exercising his rights | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

If you haven’t caught the news stories about Flower Mound’s “squatter,” Kenneth Robinson, he used a legal loophole known as “adverse possession” to settle into an abandoned $330,000 home on Waterford Drive on June 17 after paying only a $16 court filing fee.

Many neighbors may have thought that it could be the beginning of a march of vagrants invading the neighborhood.

I didn’t know what to expect when I recently dropped by, unexpected and uninvited. Admittedly, the term "squatter" conjured up images of a ragged individual, right out of a box car, cooking a can of beans in the middle of the living room floor amidst 110 degree temperatures. After all, stories were circulating that Robinson, 50, had no utilities connected and was leading a threadbare existence without furniture.

As I approached, I noticed that the lawn looked pretty similar to most, not the Augusta greens, perhaps, but this summer, that would have stood out more. There were no signs of overgrown weeds or the look of abandoned property.

Robinson answered the door quickly and personably. After asking to see some identification, he welcomed me into “his” home. Whereas I’d heard that it was barren, I quickly found myself being led past a pool table I envied, to a kitchen table to sit and discuss the ongoing situation. The lights were on, the temperature was comfortable, and Robinson was wearing a suit.

Robinson dove right in. “The way this came about, was that I was heading to Highland Village where I was going to mentor a few people about real estate investing, when I saw this property with high grass growing up around it,” he said.

He explained that he’d been looking at three properties, all told. “I couldn’t find the actual owner of this one. I couldn’t even find the mortgage company. I was doing research online, when I stumbled upon adverse possession. But, I didn’t jump in. I spent almost 48 straight hours reading legal fine print.”

Yes, but some neighbors have been a little upset about his deal and presence. A less than thrilled David Hildreth admits, “Lawyers said that Robinson has done the paperwork well, all t’s crossed and i’s dotted. He’s done his research.” But legalism doesn’t cover everything. “What really needs to happen is for Governor Perry to look into closing off this loophole in the law,” he said.

Nonetheless, it begs the question if those who buy up property at auction for unpaid tax money would get the same scrutiny, or is it just the ridiculously low figure paid that has citizens in an uproar?

“They called News 8 as well as the police,” Robinson explained. “One night, four neighbors came to my house and said that I had to leave, but I told them I wasn’t going to. When I offered to call the police myself, they encouraged me to do so. The police came right out, asked me to step back inside and the men to leave.”

Robinson said that he hasn’t encountered any confrontational problems since: no bricks through the window, no torch bearing vigilante groups. He said that he intends to buy homeowners insurance and contribute to the Homeowners a.ssociation, but admits that he hasn’t actually done those things yet. He does say that he’s had to pour some money into the swimming pool, which had fallen into disrepair after the previous owner’s abandonment.

What Robinson, a self-described real estate mentor and entrepreneur, really wanted to do was explain that what he’s succeeded in doing -- using knowledge of the law to his advantage -- is not as easy as it looks. “People don’t know that they need to do a title search, or at least should do one, for protection. I’d like people to know that I have a background in real estate. When people pick up an abandoned property, they don’t know what they’re getting. In fact, I may have a roof problem that I’ll have to fix,” he said.

Of course, if one has moved into a $330,000 home for $16, one would probably find the costs for roof, pool, and even foundation repairs a lot more affordable than the rest of us.

Meanwhile, Robinson showed me a collection of letters from around the country from attorneys and others, asking him to hold seminars, offer advice, or just to congratulate him.

Another neighbor and local businessman, who preferred to remain anonymous, said that he, himself, was angry at first, but admits, “I am a little jealous that he figured this deal out. I’ll say that he has done an excellent job of taking care of the property, which had been neglected. But, still, no one likes the way he went about it.”

Whether or not the ends justify the means, it would seem more financially advantageous to neighbors to have a next-door home and its lawn well manicured -- even if by someone who got a far better deal than they -- instead of an eyesore in the middle of the block. In today’s economy, if you get a few abandoned, weed covered homes on one’s street, just watch what happens to the property values.

Even so, Hildreth expresses the feelings of many. “I'm concerned that with the current economy, this will be the wave of the future if the governor doesn't address it. Robinson has relatives with similar deals in Carrollton and Southlake," he said. (As of this writing, Robinson had not responded to our phone or email inquiries about those two homes).

As for advice, Robinson warns future adverse possessors, the very legal definition of adverse possession requires four things:

1. That one is open and people can see that you’re living there;

2. That one is “notorious,” meaning, here, that the paperwork has been filed and everything is known;

3. That one is in “conflict,” indicating that the new resident is not working with the original owner, and;

4. Intent to live on the property

Robinson stressed that people need to know the risk factors. “I’ve had people drive here from Cedar Hill, Wylie, even Houston, to see what this is all about, often trying to get some help themselves. I tell people to get legal advice before trying this. Don’t go into it blindly,” he said.

He invited me to walk with him to pick up his mail, saying that there would probably be some request letter in the box. Alas, there was only the same junk mail that I always get.

But I had the feeling that, in the long run, that’s exactly what Robinson wants: to be accepted as a regular part of the neighborhood, despite the way he blew into town.

“I see Flower Mound as a wonderful place to live,” he commented. Then, almost as an afterthought, alluding to both his own good fortune and his ability to spread his recently acquired knowledge, Robinson gave a nod to Luke 12:48, “Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required.”

Notwithstanding any altruistic goals, Robinson may find that people cannot easily warm up to someone who hasn’t walked in their mortgage paying shoes. As Hildreth explains, “We moved here a decade ago. We’ve had to deal with job losses and significantly lesser incomes, while trying to make our payments. It’s frustrating. Honestly, I don’t like what he’s done, morally or ethically.”

76 comments for "Nov 25 - Dude in Texas who got house for $16 still living it up (Everyone still salty)"

11-25-2011, 08:36 PM         #2
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #3
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,867 | Props total: 13663 13663
my brother! :applause:
 6 years ago '07        #4
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,405 | Props total: 2525 2525
They can be salty all they want, but this man should be congratulated. Adverse possession is tough. You gotta hold the property for 3 years with no action from the real owner. I mean how rare is it to find a house that someone is going to forget about for 3 years?
 6 years ago '04        #5
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,457 | Props total: 80 80
i remember this story. good stuff. that said, i personally would love to own a house. and i dont mind having to pay that mortgage, just want to own a nice house for me and my girl.
 6 years ago '06        #6
riga89 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,049 | Props total: 132 132
Yeah, this dude hit the jackpot.
 11-25-2011, 09:43 PM         #7
5knuckleshuffle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wat hes doing is perfectly legal, tha adverse posession law in texas allows it, its also very rare to come by. its a very awkward situation tha is not common at all, tha particular loan company tha holds tha paperwork on tha property went out of business, so its a very unusual set of circumstances. Now people have seen this an think all they gotta do is go file a adverse posession form an they will own an abandoned house, it dont work tha way....
 6 years ago '06        #8
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,057 | Props total: 18822 18822
this man is intelligent...
 6 years ago '09        #9
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,689 | Props total: 13210 13210
smart man
 6 years ago '07        #10
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,336 | Props total: 403 403
:agreement6:
 6 years ago '10        #11
GBREEZE 260 heat pts260
space
space
$12,100 | Props total: 7455 7455
Word, this is good advice. I used it, and just bought this crib for 49 cents.....

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #12
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,336 | Props total: 403 403
 NO RELIGION said:
“One night, four neighbors came to my house and said that I had to leave, but I told them I wasn’t going to. When I offered to call the police myself, they encouraged me to do so. The police came right out, asked me to step back inside and the men to leave.”

he punked them bi*ches!
they salty!!!!!!!! I know they wanted to put on the pointed white hood and robes on
 6 years ago '10        #13
Treylonn 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$779 | Props total: 1 1
So they'd rather it be abandoned than a black man living in it huh....

DATS MY n*gga!!
 6 years ago '10        #14
shadydre85 34 heat pts34
space
space
$9,435 | Props total: 2393 2393
WHITE PEOPLE MADDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing0 ::applause:
 6 years ago '06        #15
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
 carltouss619 said:
they salty!!!!!!!! I know they wanted to put on the pointed white hood and robes on
this...
 6 years ago '06        #16
Yung Dilla 1479 heat pts1479
space
space
$54,904 | Props total: 25788 25788
 6 years ago '08        #17
fit2bboss 8 heat pts
space
space
$5,604 | Props total: 1320 1320
its probably a drug dealers house that was abandon..lucky.
 6 years ago '10        #18
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
The home was abandoned for foreclosure, then the mortgage company that owned it went out of business.

he got lucky
 6 years ago '10        #19
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
of course the neighbors would be mad....they worked hard to buy their house and he got it for a case of beer .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 6 years ago '05        #20
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,194 | Props total: 11799 11799
Who the hell owned the crib n left tho
Home         

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop