Nov 20 - Best Buy Workers Protest Black Friday Hours

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
35 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
66 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
12798 pageviews
254 comments

P DRILLA 103 heat pts103
space
space
$10,677 | Props total: 6435 6435
Nov 20 - Best Buy Workers Protest Black Friday Hours

[pic - click to view]

In yet another sign of worker frustration over a shortened Thanksgiving holiday, an employee at a Best Buy in Tampa has launched a petition against his employer's decision to open earlier for the Black Friday shopping spree this year, claiming the midnight opening time will eat into workers' holiday time with their families.

The petition on Change.org, attributed to 8-year Best Buy veteran Rick Melaragni, comes on the heels of a similar, high-profile petition launched last week by a Target employee in Nebraska. The latter petition has racked up more than 150,000 signatures.

Melaragni, who works as a Geek Squad technician, told HuffPost that he and his Best Buy co-workers were "blindsided" by the company's decision to open doors earlier this year for the crush.

"Of course, everyone was upset," said Melaragni, a 25-year-old Boston native. "We thought we had higher standards than other retailers. And customers are telling us the exact same thing. If they want a good deal, they're missing out on Thanksgiving, too," since they'll have to get on line on Thanksgiving Day to beat the crowds.

The petition, which has around 8,000 signatures as of this posting, reads in part: "A full holiday with family is not just for the elite of this nation -- all Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones and get a good night's rest on Thanksgiving!"

Minnesota-based Best Buy appears to be merely getting in line with the rest of the retail world with its early start time. Although most big-box stores have traditionally opened in the wee hours of Black Friday, several have moved their times up to midnight or even late Thanksgiving Day. Walmart will be opening at 10 p.m. this year -- the earliest its stores have ever opened.

Kelly Groehler, a BestBuy spokeswoman, noted that CEO Brian Dunn, once a store employee himself, "fully appreciates" the feelings of Melaragni and others, adding that Dunn will miss much of the holiday himself as he helps stores in Minnesota gear up for Black Friday. In a statement on the matter, the company said, "This year, customers have told us -- and our competitors -- that they plan to shop on Thanksgiving Day, and earlier than ever on Black Friday. We therefore made the difficult decision to move our opening Black Friday to midnight. We know this decision changes Thanksgiving plans for some of our employees, and we empathize with those who are affected."

Although retailers say they're simply responding to consumers' desires, the shift has managed to annoy many employees and consumers alike. Some shoppers told The New York Times last week that they will forgo the bargains this year as a manner of protest, feeling the retailers have overstepped their bounds and broken an unspoken holiday agreement.

Like Best Buy, Target has moved its opening time up to midnight, requiring some employees to arrive as early as at 11 p.m. of Thanksgiving day. In a statement posted on The Consumerist, a Target spokesperson said the company would be paying workers a higher holiday wage, adding that management "does our best to work around the schedules of all of our team members, making every effort to accommodate their requests."

Melaragni said that some Best Buy employees will have to come in as early as 8 or 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving, since they'll be setting up a viewing of a Harry Potter movie for the eager shoppers waiting outside the store.

Melaragni himself has been scheduled to come in at 7 a.m. on the morning of Black Friday, and is spending Thanksgiving with family in Florida. But he said he's offered to switch shifts with any co-workers scheduled to come in Thanksgiving night who have children they'd rather spend the holiday with.

"There are some [co-workers] who say, 'I'm just thankful to have a job,' " Melaragni said. "And I am, too. But there's a line that you don't cross."

[pic - click to view]

Thanksgiving At Best Buy: Workers Rebel Against Early Black Friday Openings, Shortened Holiday

254 comments for "Nov 20 - Best Buy Workers Protest Black Friday Hours"

6 years ago '05        #2
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,108 | Props total: 1550 1550
The bad part about this is that these stores can't go back to 5 or 6am next year. My friend who works for Best Buy has to work two shifts on Black Friday. One from 11:30pm on Thursday to 5am and then 5pm to 11pm.
 6 years ago '09        #3
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,672 | Props total: 13192 13192
shiet id take them holiday hours give em to me
 6 years ago '04        #4
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,905 | Props total: 2539 2539
glad i quit working at that place....
 6 years ago '04        #5
emfan 
space
space
space
$265 | Props total: 0 0
Yo guys I'm i live in the Niagra region in Ontario, it's just a 40 min drive to Buffalo, NY.

How do I take advantage of the Black Friday deals, Do i need to get there Thursday night and then come back on Friday morning?
 6 years ago '04        #6
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
its a damn shame in a minute its gonna be Black November.....
 6 years ago '04        #7
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 694 694
fu*king terrible. the greedy trait of capitalism at its finest.
 6 years ago '04        #8
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 QualityRecords said:
The bad part about this is that these stores can't go back to 5 or 6am next year. My friend who works for Best Buy has to work two shifts on Black Friday. One from 11:30pm on Thursday to 5am and then 5pm to 11pm.
That's the bigger deal. I understand in this economic climate you have to do whatever it takes to get that money especially with the trouble BB has been in financially, but now even if they have a great year going into November next year, these hours are here to stay. It's kinda like the Midnight launch phenomenon with games. At first it was the two or three MAJOR releases and now it's just about any game these stores get in early
 6 years ago '05        #9
Da Candy Man 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,072 | Props total: 0 0
 emfan said:
Yo guys I'm i live in the Niagra region in Ontario, it's just a 40 min drive to Buffalo, NY.

How do I take advantage of the Black Friday deals, Do i need to get there Thursday night and then come back on Friday morning?
yea bring a sleeping bag and some pop tarts, u gonna have to be waitin in line for hours if u plan on gettin any good deals
 6 years ago '04        #10
JBeezy 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,932 | Props total: 405 405
 <<InphDigi>> said:
fu*king terrible. the greedy trait of capitalism at its finest.
I know right?

How dare they satisfy the needs/wants of the market! They're totally doing this for no reason and it has NOTHING to do with what consumers want.

I think a much better solution is for them to open at regular hours and lose a bunch of money. That usually works out well in the end for a company that is in financial trouble. But hey, look at the bright side, if they end up having to cut wages/employees, at least they got enough time with their families.
 6 years ago '05        #11
Fresh|B 976 heat pts976
space
space
$43,434 | Props total: 25089 25089
....Stop bi*ching. Black Friday Is Good Paper If You Working The Shift.
 6 years ago '04        #12
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,685 | Props total: 17 17
Don't like your job or your hours? Quit. Stop whining and work your shift. There are plenty of jobless folks that would love your job. There are plentyyyyy of jobs where people work the holidays. Public Transportation, hospital workers, police, hotels, etc. Get a union and complain, until then get that money.
 6 years ago '04        #13
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
I don't really see the issue either... at least you HAVE A job...i'm sure theres lot of people on the unemployment line who would LOVE to take your place...you ungratefull a.ss fu*ktard...
 6 years ago '06        #14
NCAT_Boi 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,518 | Props total: 19 19
I've got a split shift my damn self...11:30P-6A, back again at 12P-6P. Hadn't spent Thanksgiving with my fam in 2 years. All sales a.ssociates at my store in Greensboro, NC feels the same way.
 6 years ago '06        #15
Big Daddy K8806 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,409 | Props total: 29 29
why protest? just quit plain and simple, i loved workin black friday when i was younger the money shut me up when i thought about the hours
 6 years ago '10        #16
GBREEZE 260 heat pts260
space
space
$12,096 | Props total: 7454 7454
Man up n*gga. Man the fu*k up. I work for a Major Cell phone company and I gotta worked fu*ked up hours too. But sh*t is real out here. Im glad I got a job and a good job at that. I'm getting 80 stacks a year so fu*k a holiday. GET MONEY!

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #17
SyDuck 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,347 | Props total: 346 346
 JBeezy said:
I know right?

How dare they satisfy the needs/wants of the market! They're totally doing this for no reason and it has NOTHING to do with what consumers want.

I think a much better solution is for them to open at regular hours and lose a bunch of money. That usually works out well in the end for a company that is in financial trouble. But hey, look at the bright side, if they end up having to cut wages/employees, at least they got enough time with their families.
needed to be quoted
 6 years ago '06        #18
"SS" 28 heat pts28
space
space
$10,241 | Props total: 4829 4829
well I work in a pawn shop so I gotta deal with the flip side of black Friday that Saturday is gonna be off the chain for me for folks trying to sell their sh*t either cause they upgraded or went broke on black Friday
 6 years ago '04        #19
Outlawfromabove 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,557 | Props total: 753 753
Be happy you have a job bastards. I wont front used to work there and it sucked having to come in hungover at 6 am and work 12 hours. But I did not complain when the check came.
 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM         #20
Desmond A 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I used to work there...you dont really have time to enjoy your thanksgiving because u gotta b asleep REAL early. No partying no real drinking...nothing, work stays on the brain :-(
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago