Is Drake's Sophomore Album Too-Emo For Men?

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
93 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
274 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Fuck this album 77 63.11%
Naw I like it 45 36.89%
Voters: 122. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
6196 pageviews
95 comments

SM 38189 heat pts38189
space
space
$127,972 | Props total: 67553 67553

Surely you heard Drake’s much anticipated (and leaked) sophomore album. Drake’s given listeners his blessing to, “Listen, enjoy it, buy it if you like it...and take care until next time.” So I have, listened, that is, and I like it. But then again, I favor R&B and introspection. “Take Care” is what I put on at the end of the day when I’m winding down and prepping for bed.

This, of course, annoys the men in my life. They all acknowledge that Drake can spit. That isn’t the problem. What is, is they felt duped by Drake’s first album, “Thank Me Later”, which they determined was for the ladies. “Take Care” was supposed to be hard and for the fellas, an a.ssumption I’m not sure how they arrived at. He rocks Cosby sweaters on red carpets. There was no way this would be for the streets. Maybe the suburbs?
The first listen garnered the following reactions from my dudes:
“This is too f---in emotional man. He sounds like the male Mary J.”
“Softest dude ever.”
“Someone needs to email him the link to Childish Gambino. Help him get his testosterone back.”
“Nikki spits harder.”

It seems my guys aren’t going for emo-rap. No real surprise. In general, guys are never all that great with discussing (or dealing with) emotions. But maybe, every now and again, they need to be.

On Take Care Drake brings up a lot of issues that men need to address, most notably his unresolved issues with his father. On “Look What You’ve Done,” (my favorite track. I replayed it four times) Drake addresses his daddy issues, an idea that’s overwhelming discussed about women, but affects men with absent fathers equally. Drizzy also raps about a argument with his mother where she crossed the line, “And you tell me I’m just like my father, my one button, you push it/ Now it's "fu*k you, I hate you, I'll move out in a heartbeat."

Later in the verse, he adds, “And my father living in Memphis now/ he can't come this way/Over some minor charges and child support that just wasn't paid/ Damn, boo-hoo, sad story, Black American dad story.”

Drake’s dismissal of his situation as just another “Black American dad” speaks to the number of Black males who don’t grow up with a father in the home—82% since 1990. And a father’s absence affects his son in every aspect of his life, from his self-esteem to his relationships to the way he views the world. It gives him a vulnerable spot, the one Drake notes when he blows up at his Mom, that few things other than a father or father-like figure (Drake addresses that in verse two) can fill.

The best way for anyone to get thru (not over) an issue—any issue, not just absentee fatherism— is to confront it and talk about it. Stuffing it down emotions or avoiding them, or rejecting them in favor of bravado—what so many guys do—doesn’t make the issue better, rather just allows it to seep out in other forms.

Instead of guys dissing Drake as too emotional, I wish they’d give Take Care a chance and open up a little more. I don’t expect Drake to solve anything, of course, but maybe it could make them think, “it’s not just me” and be a first step to a discussion.

[pic - click to view]

Is Drake's Sophomore Album Too-Emo for Men? | VIBE

95 comments for "Is Drake's Sophomore Album Too-Emo For Men?"

6 years ago '07        #2
Sleazy 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,560 | Props total: 307 307
I need you right now are you down to listen to me
[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #3
Emperor85 
space
space
space
$7,881 | Props total: 5685 5685
..............n*gga please
 6 years ago '06        #4
Poloboy69 
space
space
space
$2,232 | Props total: 346 346
Yall gon tear him apart like u did kanye west and he is gon go crazy
 6 years ago '11        #5
Backflipz 84 heat pts84
space
space
$14,249 | Props total: 2298 2298
Its a ladies album...point blank period

Every other song is dedicated to females

I accept that and choose not to fu*k wit it
 6 years ago '04        #6
theHighlife04 
space
space
$402 | Props total: 1 1
Jesus H. Christ...

[pic - click to view]

I like the album and couldn't care less what people think. Why are these robotic threads made everyday? If you don't like Take Care... Awesome. If you do like Take Care... Awesome. Haha, who cares.

We could all stare at the same painting and there would be a thousand different responses to it. You think everybody is either just going to like or hate this album?

I understand one discussion thread for an album but "Is *insert album* too emo for men"? That is absolutely retarded.
 11-14-2011, 03:30 PM         #7
MasterMind715 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Naw I like r&b albums

But this album just sucks
 6 years ago '10        #8
SmoothTay 23 heat pts23
space
space
$26,611 | Props total: 30574 30574
Houston girls love the way it goes downnnnn
 6 years ago '04        #9
m_cullins 62 heat pts62
space
space
$7,533 | Props total: 275 275
Yes the first one was also for me.
 6 years ago '07        #10
Pos 90 heat pts90
space
space
$9,618 | Props total: 5472 5472
808's & Heartbreak took a while to be accepted too, and that is an undeniable Classic

artists best work comes when they actually put thought, and emotion into their music
 6 years ago '08        #11
Young Buck 22 heat pts22
space
space
$2,837 | Props total: 334 334
How the hell is this labeled as emo? Listen to some of Joe Budden's sh*t, that's a good example of emo.

Drake's album is hot garbage and basically an album for ladies, I'm not wasting my time with that sh*t.
 6 years ago '08        #12
hollaballooza 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,271 | Props total: 450 450
 pkilla111 said:
shut up

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #13
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 195 195
Gimme dem beats tho
 6 years ago '11        #14
TorontoYG 24 heat pts24
space
space
$3,688 | Props total: 1004 1004
he gay
 6 years ago '06        #15
DrockSteady 44 heat pts44
space
space
$5,974 | Props total: 2 2
when was he ever manly? he rappin about searching through females purses and cells
 6 years ago '07        #16
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,623 | Props total: 3264 3264

I like R&B, I actually like the majority of music genre's popular here in the US. Take Care is awful, not because I or other men don't like being emotional, its awful because its awful. If you categorize it as R&B its not good, if you categorize it as Hip-Hop its not good, if you look at it for itself its not good.

I have to give Drake credit, he's good at what he does. Making 2 or 3 songs that both guys and girls would like for the radio, then targeting the emotions of females for the rest of the album because they will buy that sh*t first day.
 6 years ago '08        #17
Skeetx3.2 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,201 | Props total: 90 90
First of all the article was terrible. A small part of it was about the album in general, then the majority was written about one song... just one song. It even went as far as breaking down the lyrics and bringing up statistics and all that damn, I know that was a really important, deep song on the album, but you really lose people when you don't bring up other songs to support the idea/argument that you're posing to people.

...I fu*ked with the album though. Most people I know do too. Men and women alike. Some will like it, some won't. He'll do at least 500k first week either way.
 6 years ago '06        #18
Jaguar34 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,905 | Props total: 2 2
Fun fact: The reason Drake's sh*t is so emo/soft/feminine is because he's the artist that markets Young Money's bis3xual male market.

Wayne can't do it himself because he was a gangsta rapper for the last decade so he gets Drake to make all the girl songs for him >_>

The label influence that you usually hear on tapes is a lot more discrete because this time Wayne pushing the label's gay agenda on the album.

Same with Nicki

and Twist

Just trying to put ya'll n*ggas up on game.

EDIT: Don't think that that fact doesn't make it a nice album. Just like some people have no problem listening to gangsta rappers, eventually most won't have a problem listening to music that advocates metros3xuality. Labels have to think numbers, artists have to think music

Last edited by Jaguar34; 11-15-2011 at 01:45 AM..
 6 years ago '10        #19
SmoothTay 23 heat pts23
space
space
$26,611 | Props total: 30574 30574
 tonystarks21 said:
n*gga stfu u have no girl , your blow up doll don't count and if you did have a girl she must be ugly as fu*k explaining why your always on boxden posting gifs
 6 years ago '07        #20
Deniro732 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,624 | Props total: 2469 2469
this is an r&b album..it's like a ray j album, drake would get so much more respect if he said he was 1st an r&b artist and then a rapper instead of vice versa
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
96 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
22 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
63 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
91 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy