What to shave with? ( African American)

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
85 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '11        #1
36641 pageviews
45 comments

BLACKTOPBALLER 3 heat pts
space
space
$433 | Props total: 35 35
What to shave with? ( African American)

Whats good,i hope i dont get banned for posting pics but i really want you guys to see what im talking about, if ive violated in any kind of way could you just delete the thread, kind of new to the site, thanks. Ok my skin wasnt thid bad when i first started shaving (started shaving at 18 , just turned 20), it developed overtime, ive tried using a Razor but the sh*t gave me severe razor bumps and rash, so now i use clippers/trimmers to shave, there called " Wahl 5 Star trimmers" (Search them on google), but i still seem to be damaging my skin. Someone told me to shave with the grain but its EXTREMELY difficult to find your grain if your hair is curly like mine. Also you can see, the damage is only in the area i shave. Im thinking about buying all new products to shave with, hoping to reduce this painful situation. Anybody out there been through this or have any soultions to my problem, feel free to leave suggestions, prodcuts,tips,ect.!! thanks!!!

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by BLACKTOPBALLER; 11-07-2011 at 01:25 PM..

45 comments for "What to shave with? ( African American)"

6 years ago '08        #2
NYG155 
space
space
$1,020 | Props total: 0 0
I've been suffering from the same sh*t. Its a bad situation that I've been dealing with since high school. Ive found some stuff that is geared toards us. Maybe it will be some help.
Home > Men Skin Care Expert Advice > Skin Care / Nutritional Supplements Articles Index > African American Shaving Tips

African American Shaving Tips
What Every Black Man Should Know about Getting a Close Shave and Reducing Razor Bumps Printable Version

MOST MEN HAVE SUFFERED from ingrown hairs or razor bumps at one point or another, and a large percentage of men must deal with the condition on a regular basis. This is especially true for African-American men. Because black men have body hairs that are predominantly curly and wiry, shaved hair follicles tend to curve back and re-enter the skin as they grow, causing irritation and razor bumps. Ingrown hairs can also occur when hair doesn’t fully emerge from the skin’s surface and instead sits coiled underneath, leading to bumps and possible infection.

This reoccurring condition causes major discomfort in the beard and neck area and can affect black men for years and years at a time. The best course of action seems to be to give up shaving altogether—by not shaving the hair, it obviously doesn’t have a chance to grow back improperly and cause razor bumps. But in a society that prizes clean-shaven appearances, this is not an option for most black men. Instead, follow these simple men’s grooming tips to keep African-American skin smooth and refreshed, and correctly treat ingrown hairs.
• Always use a sharp razor blade and discard old blades after 4-5 uses. You might think this is excessive, but dull blades force black men to go over the same area of skin again and again, increasing the chances of irritation and improperly cutting hair. This goes for electric razors, too: replace the blades after every few months of use.
• Reduce your number of shaves by shaving every other day. Giving the skin time to heal will allow hairs to grow straight through the skin’s surface, without forcing too-short hairs back into the skin. Frequent shaving too close to the skin will trap hairs inside the follicles.
• Exfoliate! Exfoliating with a gentle scrub like Microfine Face Scrub removes the top layer of dead cells and allows hairs to grow out more easily. It also helps soften skin, clears pores and evens out patchy skin tones.
• Many African-American men benefit from using a single-blade razor, or a DE razor. Dr. Joely Kaufman explains, “I highly dissuade patients who suffer from razor bumps from using triple or quadruple blade razor systems. The closer the shave, the worse the razor bumps will be.”
• Always shave in the direction of hair growth. While shaving upward seems to give a closer shave, shaving in the hair’s direction reduces irritation and the likelihood of hairs growing back into the skin. Don’t pull skin taut when shaving since this can also cause ingrown hairs to form.
• Soften hairs before shaving by massaging warm water into the beard area and then applying a professional-grade, highly-lubricating shave cream. Allow it to sit on the face for a minute or two to completely coat hairs before shaving.
• Follow a shave with an after-shave solution that contains hydrating ingredients like aloe, witch hazel and tea tree extract like Post-Shave Repair to cut down on redness and discomfort. Stay away from products that contain alcohol since this can dry skin out and provoke an ashy appearance in black skin.
• Resist the urge to simply pluck ingrown hairs out. A new hair will just grow again, and you’ll be facing the same exact problem.
• Most importantly, take your time when shaving. Everyone’s been guilty of the 30-second shave on Monday morning, but shaving slowly and with care can dramatically reduce nicks, cuts and abrasions that can aggravate razor bumps.
• If you find that you are suffering from severe cases of inflammation or razor bumps, talk to your doctor or dermatologist. You may be a candidate for electrolysis (a low-level current is used to destroy follicles) or skin depilatories (chemical creams that soften and minimize growth).

A Definitive Therapy for Ingrown Hairs or Razor Bumps
Best Treatment for Ingrown Hairs and Razor Bumps
Printable Version

INGROWN HAIRS (also called razor bumps) are unsightly and painful. They result when the shaved hair gets trapped inside the follicle or grows back into the skin. It can cause scarring, redness and swelling (its medical term is Pseudofolliculitis Barbae or PFB).

We have developed this comprehensive approach that will solve the most stubborn conditions or occasional ingrown hairs. You will need to follow all the steps in this regimen for several weeks.

1. Treat with active ingredients
• There are several products that claim to help treat ingrown hairs, but the reality is that Salicylic acid is the one active substance that can visibly improve razor bumps. It is a dermatological-grade ingredient that exfoliates, moisturizes, clears pores and can help prevent infection. Use a post-shave product with salicylic acid so it remains on your skin the whole day (see below).
• Use only a non-acnegenic shaving cream specially formulated for sensitive skin, with lots of lubricating agents (foam-based shaving creams can dry and irritate your skin).
• Do not use any product that has alcohol, it will seriously worsen ingrown hairs by drying the skin and closing the pores.
2. Improve your skin's surface
• Exfoliating (removing the upper layers of dead skin) is indispensable to manage ingrown hairs. Daily use of a gentle face scrub with glycolic and salicylic acid is particularly effective.
• Use a soft-bristle face brush and liquid cleanser in a circular motion on your beard to dislodge the tips of ingrown hairs, eliminate dead skin cells and clear follicles to allow hairs to surface unimpeded.
3. Adjust your shaving technique
• We hate to be the ones to tell you this, but shaving too closely is one of the triggers for razor bumps. Hair stubs cut too closely will get trapped inside the hair follicle and dig inward or sideways. Don't worry, the disappearance of unsightly ingrown hairs will more than make up for the "five-o'clock shadow" appearance.
• To avoid shaving too close, don't pull the skin when you shave; don't put too much pressure on the blades; shave with the grain and use a single-blade razor.
• You will need to maintain this approach over time, as one extra-close shave will be enough to cause a recurrence of ingrown hairs that will take weeks to heal.
4. Treat already ingrown hairs
• Carefully lift the ingrown end out with tweezers, but don't pluck the hair out; this will only make the hair regrow deeper.
• Azulene and Allantoin will help reduce the redness and swelling.

6 years ago '06        #3
realgunta 706 heat pts706
space
space
$20,581 | Props total: 16477 16477
when i let my barber shave me i dont get any bumps at all

this only works for me bc well hair doesnt grow on my face fast at all. But for guys who grow hair facial hair fast, well this would not be a practical option
 6 years ago '06        #4
servesurite 42 heat pts42
space
space
$9,317 | Props total: 1085 1085
bump patrol to k!ll the bumps

and ambi to clear up the skin
 6 years ago '04        #5
Cutty Olds 7 heat pts
space
space
$16,488 | Props total: 6660 6660
 Universal Mind said:
Just buy you some magic shave. Start with the platinum can, then move up to the gold can.

/thread
fu*k NO!!!!

n*gga that sh*t a have your face looking like you feel off a fu*king motorcycle with NO helmet doing 90 mph!!

Im in the Navy...and that sh*t fu*ks with me every now and then...for the past 14 years all I been doing really is NOT shaving...brushing my beard with a baby soft brush or tooth brush...let my wife pull out my ingrown hairs (She's a cosmetologists so she's all into that sh*t....sadistic I think to a point )...I drink alot of water and I use facial moisturizers (Loreal for Men)

I exfoliate my skin like every other day and I use Dove soap to wash my face...it's fu*king maintenance man...Pain in the a.ss for real

It's actually a disease that alot of black males suffer from called Pseudofollicultis Barbae or PFB for short...
 6 years ago '04        #6
1nonly 15 heat pts15
space
space
$12,459 | Props total: 1239 1239
Don't even use razors. Spend some money and get something electrical. Never shave against the grain. NEVER.

also to treat, use bump patrol and tend skin. Also you might have to get some tweezers also. that sh*t hurts but you have to do what you have to do.

Tendskin is expensive but it works and gets the job done.

EDIT- about the grain. It's most likely downward for you. Most people are different but I think it's downward, it's worth a good try first.

Last edited by 1nonly; 11-07-2011 at 07:30 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #7
Greece 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,604 | Props total: 1202 1202
Looking at the picture your first course of action is to grow beard for awhile to let you skin recover. By awhile I mean like 2-3 weeks or more.

I've tried pretty much tried everything (nothing really works) and what I've finally settled on is an electric razor to shave (not one of the cheap joints, like a $50-$150 range depending on the sale and availability) and andis T clippers to line up. Shave every other day then periodically grow you beard out to keep your face fresh.
 6 years ago '11        #8
BLACKTOPBALLER 3 heat pts OP
space
space
 Greece said:
Looking at the picture your first course of action is to grow beard for awhile to let you skin recover. By awhile I mean like 2-3 weeks or more.

I've tried pretty much tried everything (nothing really works) and what I've finally settled on is an electric razor to shave (not one of the cheap joints, like a $50-$150 range depending on the sale and availability) and andis T clippers to line up. Shave every other day then periodically grow you beard out to keep your face fresh.
Ive been told to let it grow, but just dont wanna b walkin round lookin like somebody deadbeay dad,ill give it a try, and whats the NAME of the electric shaver u use?
 6 years ago '05        #9
Greece 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,604 | Props total: 1202 1202
 BLACKTOPBALLER said:
Ive been told to let it grow, but just dont wanna b walkin round lookin like somebody deadbeay dad,ill give it a try, and whats the NAME of the electric shaver u use?
I feel you...when you grow it you can keep it lined up with your clippers so it doesn't look too bad. Right now I use the Phillips Norelco Cool Skin joint...its a wet/dry shaver so all you gotta do its run water over it after you shave to keep it clean. Works pretty good for me. Gets close so your face feels like a baby's butt.

[pic - click to view]

The braun foil joints work good as well but they get costly to maintain (buying the cleaner and replacement foils)
 6 years ago '04        #10
KidKingGoD 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,090 | Props total: 614 614
 The Bully said:
STEP 1:
[pic - click to view]

STEP 2:
[pic - click to view]

STEP 3:
[pic - click to view]

This. Also drink plenty of water and wash your face with something that exfoliates.
 6 years ago '05        #11
Gravediggaz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$6,532 | Props total: 161 161
first off never use a razor that has 4 or 5 blades stay away from them! they irritate your skin...the most blades you want is 2 don't go for anymore then that...these are the best razors to get gillette Trac 2 or gillette sensor....you can buy them anywhere they are cheap

second don't use shaving foam from a can....they are too dry and drys your skin out....use any shaving cream that comes in a tube such as derby shaving cream its really cheap and its good!you can get it anywhere

third before you shave make sure you have a hot shower first....soften up the hair and you won't get irritation...always have a hot shower before you shave!

fourth always shave with the grain so where your hair direction is going, shave that way and don't use pressure! never use pressure....just let it glide along your face and neck

fifth use this aftershave once you finished shaving, nivea sensitive aftershave balm, you can get it anywhere and its cheap....also get this tend skin after shave if your shaving rash continues

do all this and you will never have redness or shaving bumps and rashes ever again

you will thank me later

Last edited by Gravediggaz; 11-08-2011 at 06:07 AM..
 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM         #12
cleophisduval09 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1. grow out your beard

2. Hot rag on your face evrynight, get a small toothbrush too to pull out all the ingrown hairs

you will notice your face no longer itches...let it grow for a few more days and keep brushing

3. Magic shave original powder and a old school shaving knife

that's all you need. You can use clippers to manage it after that but you should grow it out every once and awhile
 6 years ago '11        #13
space
space
 Gravediggaz said:
first off never use a razor that has 4 or 5 blades stay away from them! they irritate your skin...the most blades you want is 2 don't go for anymore then that...these are the best razors to get gillette Trac 2 or gillette sensor....you can buy them anywhere they are cheap

second don't use shaving foam from a can....they are too dry and drys your skin out....use any shaving cream that comes in a tube such as derby shaving cream its really cheap and its good!you can get it anywhere

third before you shave make sure you have a hot shower first....soften up the hair and you won't get irritation...always have a hot shower before you shave!

fourth always shave with the grain so where your hair direction is going, shave that way and don't use pressure! never use pressure....just let it glide along your face and neckfifth use this aftershave once you finished shaving, nivea sensitive aftershave balm, you can get it anywhere and its cheap....also get this tend skin after shave if your shaving rash continues

do all this and you will never have redness or shaving bumps and rashes ever again

you will thank me later

See i know thats one thing that will help but its hard as fu*k to find the grain, my hair is extra curly..some of it points in all directions..some point downward, should i brush it, then see?...ill look up some techniques to help discover it, ive tried the cotton ball trick,lol, no luck. Im pretty sure my hair goes downward, but isa it straight downward or diagnal like? does it matter as long as im shaving downward??

Last edited by BLACKTOPBALLER; 11-08-2011 at 06:28 AM..
 6 years ago '05        #14
Gravediggaz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$6,532 | Props total: 161 161
 BLACKTOPBALLER said:
See i know thats one thing that will help but its hard as fu*k to find the grain, my hair is extra curly..some of it points in all directions..some point downward, should i brush it, then see?...ill look up some techniques to help discover it, ive tried the cotton ball trick,lol, no luck. Im pretty sure my hair goes downward, but isa it straight downward or diagnal like? does it matter as long as im shaving downward??
all of us have different directions, on my neck my hair goes in different directions I just following the grain....its easy finding which way your grain is just use your finger whatever feels smooth thats your grain or if it feels rough thats against the grain....if your grain is downward then use your razor downwards if your grain going diagnal then use the razor diagonally....also when using your razor don't take long passes with the razor keep the passes short also after your shave rises with cold water to close up your pours and put on your aftershave balm

here is a video on What I mean about short passes

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Gravediggaz; 11-08-2011 at 07:49 AM..
 6 years ago '06        #15
BlackBuckRogers 
space
space
space
$149 | Props total: 2 2
Bruh tha only thing that is going to save you is buying the Andis Outliner or The Andis T outliner! Have your barber or go on youtube and adjust the blade so it cuts nice and sharp like tha clippers in the barber shop. Grow your beard out a lil bit so your skin has time to heal. Rub baby powder or shaving powder on your face and shave with the andis! Tha powder allows the andis blade to smoothly shave your face without irritation. THen wash your face with hot a.ss water and soap then moisturize your face with lotion or after shave with moisturizer. And for upkeep only shave every other day not everyday, so if you shave mon ur next shave should be wed then fri then sun this gives your face time to heal and your hair to grow out of the pore!
 6 years ago '04        #16
smurfdoran 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$2,906 | Props total: 108 108
i use Shea Butter & African American Soap Shave Butter Shave Cream

and also Shea Butter Anti-Aging Bump Preventer Face Cream.

And a razor.
 6 years ago '11        #17
xrayvisionmedia 
space
space
$366 | Props total: 14 14
I will repeat what alot have said and add something new.

Try to take a hot shower before you shave, it will open up your pores.

Exfoliate your skin with a dry sea sponge. Not the soft kind, the hard kind that look just like a real sponge.

shave with the grain

Never ever use alcohol on your skin after you shave, alcohol is why so many brothers have discolored faces on the shaving area. Use real aloe, I mean the real sh*t you order from amazon. Its like 25.00 but it will last you like 3 years.
 6 years ago '04        #18
hulk161 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,067 | Props total: 470 470
There are a few thread on this but

1. Outliner 2
2. Cocoa Butter soap
3. Aloe Vera Gel
4. Nice sea sponge

Your welcome
 6 years ago '11        #19
space
space
Thanks! for the tips!!
 6 years ago '10        #20
eashawty 
space
space
space
$801 | Props total: 741 741
 The Bully said:
STEP 1:
[pic - click to view]

STEP 2:
[pic - click to view]

STEP 3:
[pic - click to view]

so would i trim the hair wit the t clippers 1st & then u the wahl shaver or...?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
34 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
74 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
85 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy