2 Chainz Opens Up About Being Named 'Tity Boi,' T.R.U. Realigon Mixtape, & Why He Uses Codeine Syrup

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
54 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Breakfast Club interviews Lavar Ball & Sons On Family Business, Discipline..
82 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
8964 pageviews
58 comments

SM 38172 heat pts38172
space
space
$127,875 | Props total: 67250 67250
2 Chainz Opens Up About Being Named 'Tity Boi,' T.R.U. Realigon Mixtape, & Why He Uses Codeine Syrup

Once a part of Ludacrisí DTP rap crew, 2 Chainz (aka Tity Boi) has grown into one of the hottest names from the South as a solo artist. His string of mixtapes, including his Tupac influenced Me Against The World, All Ice On Me and Trap-A-Velli have kept 2 Chainz on a relentless tour schedule.The rapper tells VIBE heís already performed over 120 shows this year.

Though, he remains in close contact with Luda, the ATL native is focused on pushing forward on his own two feet. Chainz last scored big in 2007 with ďDuffle Bag BoyzĒ as part of the rap duo Playaz Circle, with partner Dolla Boy. More than 4 years later, 2 Chainz has caught national attention again with his mixtape hit "Spend It."

Currently, Chainz is working on a new street album, titled T.R.U. Realigon. VIBE sat down with the rapper to discuss his upcoming project, name change, working with Ludacris, his penchant for "syrup" and more.

VIBE: So I know youíve been asked this before but can you explain it for all the VIBE readers, how did you get the name Tity Boi?

2 Chainz: I want to explain thisóI wish I could put this on a billboard. Tity Boi is not derogatory towards women, I didnít make it up, I didnít get it from a titty-sucking contest or anything like that. The name Tity Boi actually came from my big mama, from me being spoiled and an only childóbrea$tfed. My mama called me Tity Boi, my dad called me Tity Man, my hood called me Tit so when we was trying to rap I had been going by Tit my whole life, Tit, Tity, Tity Man óitís just like a country nickname óterm for being an only child.

So you had no choice?

Yea, like my family calls me that, my dad calls me Tity Man every morning. He wakes me up like ĎTity Man, the phone ringingí like and thatís it. A lot of people were close- minded to the fact and not really willing to hear what I had to offer to the game but I mean thatís their loss. Iím still here and Iím going to continue working hard. Whether its Tity Boi or 2 Chainz or whatever the name is my work will speak for itself.

When did it click in your mind to change your my rap name?

No, see I never changed my name this is what happened I did Supply and Demand, 12 Circle with DTP and Def Jam. I did a song called ďDear Mr. LA ReidĒ and someone else said Tity/2 Chainz and I had been saying it all the time but I guess the stars lined up and then definitely the way I said, the delivery, 2 Chainz made it lady and kid friendly. In my 8th grade yearbook picture I had on 2 chains. I had always been into like jewelry so 2 Chainz just stuck.

Early on, when you were rolling with Ludacris, did you kind of feel like you had to play a back position and couldnít really step out into the forefront?

I didnít have to play a back position it was just like trying to get in where you fit in. Ludaís a great leader, himself, a Virgo like me so it was sort of like I watched and learned a lot from being under him but there just comes a time when all the kids grow up and just want to become their own man, have their own imprint, and become their own boss and thatís just where I am in my career right now. Iím actually doing some A& R work on Ludaís 8th album Ludaversal so we still have a great business relationship. But for the most part, these mixtapes [are] kicking a lot of doors down, Iím getting a lot of phone calls from a lot of people and I just feel like Iím creating some real good problems for myself.

Well you definitely have the streets talking about your upcoming T.R.U. Realigon mixtape ?

I feel this mixtape along, with all of my other mixtapes, is an album format which kind of sets my music apart from everyone else. You know, I go into it and do research, come up with concepts, I do everything from photo- to video- shoots and I just put a little more time and effort into my mixtapes and my music period. Then, the title being T.R.U. REALigion I just felt that the acronym ďTRUĒ could stand for ďthe real universityĒ because my campaign is for ďthe realĒ, the few of us thatís left and for ďRealigionĒ I spell it [that way] because people know religion is the study and belief of and I just believe Iím one of the last true people left and being real is a minority and thatís how I got to where I am today.

Everyone from Lil Wayne to T.I. always shouts you out for being one of the ďrealest dudes.Ē Why is that?

Like I said just being myself; a lot of people get around people like Lil Wayne or Baby and might laugh at jokes thatís not funny. You know?

Like a ďyesĒ man?

Yea, Iím just not that. Sometimes I have a filter and sometimes I donít as far as things that come out my mouth and people appreciate that because like I said, itís genuine and a lot of people donít offer genuine things anymore. Wayne has been my friend for over 10 yrs and I love everything that heís doing and we just have a genuine relationship outside of music and the same thing with Baby and a few other peers in the game to where those people believing in me earlier in my career just gave me the belief to keep doing when no focus was on me at all.

While weíre being ďreal,Ē I wanted to talk about your use of Syrup. I noticed you are a big advocate of codeine and promethazine syrup.

I think people should be very careful because its addictive and can be fatal. You need to be your own individual. People are naturally curious about things but there comes a [point] where you need to let that go and thatís my opinion. Iíve probably been drinking since maybe 2007 so itís a little different for me because it wasnít well- known but the truth about promethazine/codeine is that itís a pharmaceutical drug. No one makes it in a tub or anything .Moderate use is cool but I think thatís hard for people to do that but I definitely donít promote people using it.

I mean Syrup isnít something new, itís been around for years and I think, as you said, in the last couple of years it really gained popularity.

I donít think Iíve ever poured up in front of anybody but you just see my cup and know what it symbolizes but I donít think Iím doing a commercial on how to like ruin your life. Iím ruining my life but Iím kind of enjoying it--just bought a new crib [Laughs.]

Do you mind telling us about some of the downsides of it? I know there are a lot of withdrawal symptoms when people try to quit.

Yeah, just to let VIBE readers know that I have ulcers, which a lot of my fans already know. For me I was drinking lean before knowing I had ulcers, I just knew I had stomach problems--and this is no excuse but in my mind it was just soothing. Not to sound like no crazy dude but it just felt soothing to a certain point, then when I found out I had ulcers I was prescribed meds anyway and it can be used for nausea and things like that because ulcers can cause nausea, vomiting and things like that. Even when flying a lot Iím one of those guys who has to travel a lot with a weak stomach

Back to the music side of things, where do you feel your lane is right now in hip-hop?

When you go the afterparty and go rock out and drink and smoke something in the club thatís where my my set is--thatís where I come in at. Iím cool with it. But I figured out how to be there so as much--people are [hype] about it. Not all artistsí music transitions to a small settings club. I got the music for about 500 people in a room to go crazy to. I make concert stuff too but everything is a time and a place. Thatís why all of the big rappers [ hit me] because when they go to those clubs everyoneís going crazy. You see more with T.R.U. REALigion dropping Nov 1. I promise you that.

Check back on Nov. 1st for part 2 of VIBE's exclusive interview with 2 Chainz

[pic - click to view]

2 Chainz Opens Up About Why He Was Named 'Tity Boi,' T.R.U. Realigon Mixtape, and His Use of Codeine Syrup [PG.2] | VIBE

58 comments for "2 Chainz Opens Up About Being Named 'Tity Boi,' T.R.U. Realigon Mixtape, & Why He Uses Codeine Syrup"

6 years ago '10        #2
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,873 | Props total: 20888 20888
Good sh*t
 6 years ago '07        #3
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,616 | Props total: 10618 10618
I could never get into Lean like that.sh*t have you sleepy and tired as a motherfu*ker.
 10-28-2011, 12:18 AM         #4
Rendition 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Long time fan and I noticed he never explained his name

I always figured it was a southern nickname his grandma gave him

n*ggas in the south be havin off the wall nicknames
 6 years ago '05        #5
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,187 | Props total: 11750 11750
 SM said:

I mean Syrup isnít something new, itís been around for years and I think, as you said, in the last couple of years it really gained popularity.

I donít think Iíve ever poured up in front of anybody but you just see my cup and know what it symbolizes but I donít think Iím doing a commercial on how to like ruin your life. Iím ruining my life but Iím kind of enjoying it--just bought a new crib [Laughs.]
& here i am with a job......
 10-28-2011, 12:55 AM         #6
deLeet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rendition said:
Long time fan and I noticed he never explained his name

n*ggas in the south be havin off the wall nicknames
Actually that sh*t always comes up with his interviews since Playaz circle days, its really annoying now and tit prolly feels the same...

Tity boi - This is what you listen to
 10-28-2011, 12:57 AM         #7
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
how can you not like this n*gga
 6 years ago '10        #8
jt satan 79 heat pts79
space
space
$3,645 | Props total: 150 150
:D

:thx:
 6 years ago '05        #9
Clutch City Kid 139 heat pts139
space
space
$28,265 | Props total: 28688 28688
alright ppl, im usually into the scene... i know all about his work as Tity boy, is this 2 chainz stuff on a different level or still trap/ down south typical stuff??? i heard 2 songs so far and all i heard was typical beats that im kind of tired of already... someone plz post a his best tracks, cause i know he can make a good song, i just aint heard one as 2 chainz yet
 6 years ago '04        #10
Mysonne 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,831 | Props total: 2 2
Mc v*gina Face, Gangsta n*pple Nips
 6 years ago '07        #11
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,616 | Props total: 10618 10618
 Clutch City Kid said:
alright ppl, im usually into the scene... i know all about his work as Tity boy, is this 2 chainz stuff on a different level or still trap/ down south typical stuff??? i heard 2 songs so far and all i heard was typical beats that im kind of tired of already... someone plz post a his best tracks, cause i know he can make a good song, i just aint heard one as 2 chainz yet
Pimp C back is a tight track.And its dosent sound like a typical Down South track
 6 years ago '10        #12
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,873 | Props total: 20888 20888
 N.O.4Life said:
Pimp C back is a tight track.And its dosent sound like a typical Down South track
That track is noice forreal.
 6 years ago '04        #13
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$18,973 | Props total: 4579 4579
so this dudes a star now guess u can get second chance
 6 years ago '04        #14
DezCaughtIt 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,179 | Props total: 32 32
never knew 2 chainz was tity boy ... then again never really paid attention to him.
 6 years ago '05        #15
NomiS 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 28 28
 bigree61 said:
how can you not like this n*gga
he cant rap
 6 years ago '04        #16
Adwerdz 319 heat pts319
space
space
$32,734 | Props total: 23254 23254
i was wonderin why the hell he got so skinny, ulcers
 6 years ago '10        #17
Two02x3 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,587 | Props total: 6704 6704
I been a fan of Tity Boi since the early DTP/Playaz Circle days. Dunno....I still call him tit

He aint jokin about that lean though. sh*t is mad addictive. I had to leave the bottle alone because I usually drink it like beer----takin big gulps and sh*t. Bad idea if you are trying to stay awake and enjoy it.
 6 years ago '08        #18
Da_Crew2k9 132 heat pts132
space
space
space
$2,996 | Props total: 2366 2366
 Clutch City Kid said:

[video - click to view]

imo
 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM         #19
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^Been fu*king with that hard lately
 6 years ago '10        #20
peeyump 15 heat pts15
space
space
$21,112 | Props total: 1271 1271
 Rendition said:

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
36 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
67 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
89 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy