Oct 23 - facebook glitch shows who has your number in there phone

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
53 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
298 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
84 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #1
11389 pageviews
52 comments

Moyo420 37 heat pts37
space
space
$1,312 | Props total: 35 35
Oct 23 - facebook glitch shows who has your number in there phone

[pic - click to view]

Short version: Facebook will show you a list of people who have your number in their phone. For me, this list of eight people outed a friend as being secretly gay and an ex-girlfriend from long ago who still has my number in her phone.

Try it: [Update: This doesn't seem to be happening for everybody.] Create a new Facebook account using an unused email address. Facebook will insist you add a mobile number as a security check. It will then show you a list of 'people you might know' - this list is people who have you in their phonebook.

--

Ironically, I was deleting my Facebook account over privacy concerns when I discovered this breach. I decided to deactivate my account, but I have a few Facebook apps that I need to maintain - so I created a new blank account ready to take over these apps.

I used a different email address obviously, and once I'd created the account, Facebook demanded to confirm my account (for security reasons) by sending an SMS to my mobile. Fine - I put in my number, received the code and entered it.

Here's what came up next:

This list contains eight names. Some I instantly recognised, and others I had to do some research to identify. At first I was baffled - I guessed maybe Facebook had copied something across from my previous account via a cookie or similar. But it turns out that FB used my mobile number (which they took as a security check) to match up with people who have me in their mobile phone book and have synced the Facebook app.

I fully understand why they're doing this - it connects new users into existing networks, it's an evolution of the 'import your Hotmail contacts' facility. I just didn't like the approach at all. They demanded my mobile number under the pretence of a security check, but then used to it find people who have me in their mobile phone contacts.

This has badly violated the privacy of a friend who has, I now know, been operating a second Facebook account to hide the fact that he is gay - something which he has good and important reasons to hide. It also showed me that an ex-girlfriend of long ago still has my number saved - which is understandable because I am great.

A little deeper thought: These little privacy leaks are not important on their own. A little data leaks here, a little there. What is concerning is that we can guarantee private investigators and professional identity fraudsters are well on top of all these little loopholes. And combined, I'd say Facebook is probably pissing data out. Some sweet law enforcement potential here - slap in a request to Facebook on a drug-dealing suspect, find a list of everyone with his number in their phone. Repeat until prisons full.

sorry for the source but im pretty sure a random hacker is more aware then the media

52 comments for "Oct 23 - facebook glitch shows who has your number in there phone"

6 years ago '04        #2
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
Im just gonna sit back and watch the fireworks start...lol
 6 years ago '09        #3
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,703 | Props total: 13274 13274
Facebook has been violating ppls privacy for how long now? But ppl still complain...
 6 years ago '04        #4
VickVega 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,739 | Props total: 114 114
 Moyo420 said:

[pic - click to view]

sorry for the source but im pretty sure a random hacker is more aware then the media

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #5
Moyo420 37 heat pts37 OP
space
space
$1,312 | Props total: 35 35
 VickVega said:

[pic - click to view]

lol yea, i just thought people would trip out, i guess more people are aware, im glad the worlds changing
 6 years ago '10        #6
jayjay2 11 heat pts11
space
space
$8,408 | Props total: 2275 2275
sh*t people number are on my phone i ain't want, it just gets on their when you sign in on your phone... this been there ya know
 6 years ago '05        #7
Adamsville4real 
space
space
$5,923 | Props total: 516 516
if i save your number in my phone and you have your number posted on facebook it will show me your facebook profile when i search for friends
 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM         #8
TIP2009 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
first off, this can't be possible...

it would mean facebook can access att and verizon...to get access from phones...how hilarious..someonw didn't think this through...it's more just a a.ssociated and it knows it's you...
 6 years ago '06        #9
Spyda21 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$76 | Props total: 0 0
 TIP2009 said:

it would mean facebook can access att and verizon...to get access from phones...how hilarious..someonw didn't think this through...it's more just a a.ssociated and it knows it's you...
are you stupid... it just uses their phone number... you know... the 10 digit number
 6 years ago '04        #10
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4330 4330
 TIP2009 said:

It's possible because when you get the Facebook app on a smartphone it asks if you want to sync your contacts. If you do, they have a list of all your names and phone numbers and e-mail in your phone book.
 6 years ago '04        #11
tdm2000 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,161 | Props total: 507 507
I never understood why cats give FB their numbers, address, place of work, etc. Hell, I just removed my bday and hate they have my email. Lol
 6 years ago '04        #12
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,911 | Props total: 2549 2549

6 years ago '04        #13
haterade2885 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,780 | Props total: 102 102
 Spyda21 said:
are you stupid... it just uses their phone number... you know... the 10 digit number
dunno why this is a shocker. if you post your number on fb, then everyone on your list with a droid or smartphone will have access to it. facebook is giving you a second address book. i think its smart (i have strictly friends on my fb no strangers) because it makes things that much easier. i never had a problem with anyone on MY fb having my number. my page is private and unless you work for anonymous you arent going to get my number if i dont want you to.
 6 years ago '07        #14
RJ96 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,837 | Props total: 2000 2000
so when you subscribe to FB you HAVE to give a phone number? glad I joind way earlier
 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM         #15
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tdm2000 said:
I never understood why cats give FB their numbers, address, place of work, etc. Hell, I just removed my bday and hate they have my email. Lol
Me neither. What's even worse are the people that use that "Check-In" feature. Your not a celebrity, no one gives a flying fu*k if you checked in to Wal-Mart!
 6 years ago '10        #16
MistaKlean 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,683 | Props total: 203 203
governmentbook.
 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM         #17
more_fya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My sister showed this to me a couple months ago. She was trippin because she thought Facebook was on some stalker sh*t because all the names and numbers were exactly how she had them typed into her phone
 6 years ago '04        #18
doro85 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,166 | Props total: 435 435
This is why I refuse to dl the phone app... I jus web browse to the mobile site
 6 years ago '10        #19
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,293 | Props total: 23801 23801
 jlandryst said:
Im just gonna sit back and watch the fireworks start...lol
:dancingcool::dancingcool::dancingcool:
 6 years ago '10        #20
Esdot 17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,617 | Props total: 693 693
It also showed me that an ex-girlfriend of long ago still has my number saved - which is understandable because I am great.
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
111 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
118 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
117 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
36 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
74 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
65 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy