Week 5 Gameday Thread : Oakland Raiders Vs. Houston Texans

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
30 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
239 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who You Got?
Raiders 23 79.31%
Texans 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
9490 pageviews
653 comments

theFREAK 3682 heat pts3682
space
space
$53,706 | Props total: 38559 38559
Week 5 Gameday Thread : Oakland Raiders Vs. Houston Texans

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Whenever the Houston Texans face the Raiders while possessing the ball, the Texans are in a zone.

Truth be told, Houston is primarily a zone-blocking team regardless of the opponent.

That's problematic for the Raiders, who have been a below average team against the run for the better part of the last decade and more often than not a sieve when faced with the kind of zone blocking employed by the Texans.

New England came to Oakland as primarily a passing team with Tom Brady at quarterback but exploited the Raiders' weakness and broke some big outside zone runs -- including a 33-yard touchdown by Stevan Ridley en route to a 183-yard rushing performance for the team.

Raiders safety Mike Mitchell remembers the Texans rushing for 249 yards on the Raiders in Oakland last season and feeling helpless to stop it. Arian Foster led the Texans with 133 yards on 17 carries, including a 74-yard touchdown run early in the second half.

"It was a long day," Mitchell said. "We couldn't stop the outside zone runs, and they were successful with play-action because we were so concerned with the run."

Foster downplays the zone scheme aspect, telling Bay Area reporters by conference call that every team runs zone and that "we just run it a little bit more. I think people get caught up in the hype of the zone blocking scheme."

In a zone scheme, teams typically have only a few basic runs, but they can go either inside or outside, depending on the flow of the defense. Blockers move in concert to an area, rather than to a specific defender, and the backs run with patience, awaiting a crease, then cut upfield.

"It's so tough, because on our defensive line, we have such big guys, and when they get moving side to side there's the potential for cutbacks," Mitchell said. "That's why the zone run scheme run is very good because all it takes is for a guy to be a half second late or just a little bit out of his gap. For a good runner, it creates a cutback lane or he gets outside."

Big gains are often accompanied by cut blocks against defenders who are moving toward the ball and never see the linemen coming.

The Denver Broncos tortured the Raiders for years with zone runs during Mike Shanahan's tenure, which ended with a 21-7 record against his former team. Kubiak, an a.ssistant on Shanahan's staff, brought the scheme with him to Houston when he was hired as head coach in 2006.

The Texans are 4-1 against the Raiders under Kubiak and have averaged 153.2 yards per game rushing in those games. Houston relies heavily on the run anyway, but Oakland's susceptibility to the running game combined with the loss of wide receiver Andre Johnson could make the Texans have quarterback Matt Schaub hand the ball off even more than usual.

Johnson had what was termed a "minor procedure" on an injured hamstring and will be out at least three weeks.

Raiders players have talked for years about staying in gaps and being disciplined only to come undone on game day.

"I feel like everybody knows what to do and where to fit, but in the midst of chaos and full speed, it's about being one heartbeat," defensive end Jarvis Moss said. "I think that's going to come as the weeks go along."

Ranked 29th against the run mostly on the basis of giving up 400 yards rushing in losses to Buffalo and New England, the Raiders are still dealing with a problem coach Hue Jackson said during training camp "has plagued this organization for years."

Zone or no zone, Jackson stressed the need for the Raiders' defensive line to knock the Texans off the ball.

He reiterated his promise to "get it fixed" and fully expects a heavy dose of Foster and productive backup Ben Tate on Sunday at Reliant Stadium. Foster is coming off a 155-yard, 30-carry effort in a 17-10 win over Pittsburgh, a team that prides itself on run defense.

Asked what he would do if facing a team giving up the Raiders' figure of 5.9 yards per carry, Jackson said, "I'm running the ball. I'm running the ball until I can get them to make me stop running the ball."
CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran

Amazing stat of the day: Texans WR Andre Johnson has only 11 catches for 209 yards in 4 career games vs. Raiders. He missed two with injury.

Texans won both games against Raiders in which WR Andre Johnson, league's best receiver, didn't play. Texans 5-1 against Raiders all-time.

Texans are one of only five franchises with all-time winning record against the Raiders. The 4 others: Ravens, Jaguars, Chiefs and Patriots.

The Texans are favored by 6 this against the Raiders.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by theFREAK; 10-07-2011 at 12:52 PM..

653 comments for "Week 5 Gameday Thread : Oakland Raiders Vs. Houston Texans"

6 years ago '07        #2
theFREAK 3682 heat pts3682 OP
space
space
Poll added, will update the thread daily like I always do.
 6 years ago '05        #3
txhotboy 
space
space
$5,545 | Props total: 1189 1189
Raiders safety Mike Mitchell remembers the Texans rushing for 249 yards on the Raiders in Oakland last season and feeling helpless to stop it. Arian Foster led the Texans with 133 yards on 17 carries, including a 74-yard touchdown run early in the second half
Imagine if Foster wasn't in trouble wit the team & played the first half

Texans got this
 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM         #4
pimpsaucekrew 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Raaaaiiiiiddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrssssss sss!!!!!!!!!!
 6 years ago '06        #5
RayG210 43 heat pts43
space
space
$3,596 | Props total: 256 256
Damn I remember this game last year.. I lost that week, but could have won if Foster had played that first half.
 6 years ago '06        #6
ThaShark316 86 heat pts86
space
space
$12,998 | Props total: 53 53
Raiders have to run the football to get a W here. If they struggle, the Texans pass rushers will be able to pin their ears back and rush the QB for 2-3 quarters. Every week so far, the Texans have done a great job getting to the QB.

Run the ball and give Campbell some not-so-tough 3rd downs.

As for schemes, more on that later.

As for my Texans, we gotta run the ball at WILL this week. Raiders haven't done well stopping the run. That said, if they can somehow CONTAIN Foster, that'll get the Texans into some 3rd-and-5 or 6 situations, keeping them away from running the football. Texans do an excellent job of pass protection, so the Raiders definitely need to pick their spots to blitz. (Not that they do it often, compared to rushing 4)

This should be a fun game. Hopefully we come out and run the ball relentlessly with #23, Silent G and Tate/Ward if they play.
 6 years ago '05        #7
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
$11,571 | Props total: 148 148
Without Johnson we have a chance. Just have to stop the running game. We have to run the ball as well. Should be a good game. We should have Huff back, which will help a lot (addition by subtraction).

It'd be nice if Shaughnessy came back as well, but I don't know if he'll make it back or not.
 6 years ago '07        #8
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,678 | Props total: 16967 16967
This game going b like 90 minutes long. Run DMC going go off for like 180. Foster going have like 160. But since the Texans can actually pass..thwy going win 17-24.
 6 years ago '04        #9
MiamiDade 55 heat pts55
space
space
$14,355 | Props total: 690 690
Raiders- 23
Texans- 20

Last minute FG wins it for the Raiders

6 years ago '10        #10
Trill Livin 65 heat pts65
space
space
$14,414 | Props total: 6247 6247
not excited for this
 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM         #11
Ether Boy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We gon win no doubt! Texans gonna take us lightly and we are too hungry especially with that weak performance last week. Jacoby Ford gon have a big game.
 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM         #12
Ether Boy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k ESPN in their a.ss!!! 5th time in a row this year they go against us.
 10-06-2011, 04:25 PM         #13
MRWILSON024 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The raiders must watch out for the passing attack of the texans,while the much improved now top 10 pass defense in the Houston Texans much prepare for the powerful running game of Darren Mcfadden and Michael Bush.As always these two teams always play a smash mouth physical game but in my opinion if the raiders do win Jason Campbell must have a great game.
 6 years ago '06        #14
ThaShark316 86 heat pts86
space
space
$12,998 | Props total: 53 53
 Sonnage King said:
We gon win no doubt! Texans gonna take us lightly and we are too hungry especially with that weak performance last week. Jacoby Ford gon have a big game.
Whoa whoa...not gonna happen. (In bold)

No chance you get taken lightly.
 6 years ago '07        #15
Bleezy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$14,441 | Props total: 8415 8415
With BAL next week - we really need to beat OAK.

Is it official yet whether or not Tate is gonna play? It'd take some pressure off Foster.

If we slow down OAK's ground game, I think we can take this.
 6 years ago '07        #16
theFREAK 3682 heat pts3682 OP
space
space
injuries update

defensive end matt shaughnessy (shoulder), cornerback chris johnson (hamstring), fullback marcel reece (ankle), linebacker ricky brown (concussion) and tight end richard gordon (hand) missed practice thursday, and they haven’t practiced at all this week.

Jackson typically is hesitant to shed much light, if any, on the status of his players in the days before a game. However, he let slip with a rather telling remark about how he views the status of players who miss practice the week before a game.

“if a guy doesn’t practice, (people) have seen how we go about,” jackson said. “if a guy doesn’t practice, it’s hard to help this football team.”

translation: It’s unlikely that any of the aforementioned injured players will play against the texans.

Jackson also said that some of those players are “close” to returning to action, while others are “a long ways away.”

he refused to attach names to either category.

Cornerback chimdi chekwa attempted to practice wednesday with a sore hamstring, but he suffered a setback, he said. His status for sunday is questionable, at best.

If johnson and chekwa can’t play, rookie demarcus van dyke and joe porter will get added playing time. Jackson intimated that van dyke might even start opposite stanford routt.
“absolutely,” jackson said. “next man up. Hey, throw him in there. Let’s go.”
 6 years ago '10        #17
SoulOnIce 67 heat pts67
space
space
space
$13,780 | Props total: 972 972
I dont have a good feeling about this game at all for some reason.

Last edited by SoulOnIce; 10-06-2011 at 07:04 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #18
CarlozRossi 46 heat pts46
space
space
$5,865 | Props total: 3830 3830
Our chances defiantly go up now that AJ is out. I expect us to get back to our winning

formula (Run Run Run ! ! !) If we beat Houston we have a great chance at being 5-2 entering

our bye week.
 6 years ago '10        #19
SoulOnIce 67 heat pts67
space
space
space
$13,780 | Props total: 972 972
 CarlozRossi said:
Our chances defiantly go up now that AJ is out. I expect us to get back to our winning

formula (Run Run Run ! ! !) If we beat Houston we have a great chance at being 5-2 entering

our bye week.
They beat us without AJ last year and ran it down our throats with Foster and Ward.
 6 years ago '05        #20
trb_5 
space
space
$5,357 | Props total: 751 751
do texans have a good run defense? i just see them sacking everybody...good test for our young o line
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
108 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
56 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
146 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
73 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy