Rob Ryan: 'We work against better receivers' than Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
86 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM         #1
5944 pageviews
124 comments

SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rob Ryan: 'We work against better receivers' than Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson

IRVING, Texas -- It seems Calvin Johnson has some more work to do if he wants to be considered among the best wide receivers in football.

Sure, he's opened the season with three straight two-touchdown games for the Detroit Lions, but according to Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, his secondary sees tougher competition in practice.

"We work against better receivers with Miles Austin and Dez Bryant," Ryan told the Dallas Morning News' Brandon George. "They are probably two of the premier receivers in football, but this guy is right there. He's almost that good. He's excellent."

Well, no, yes, yes, no and yes.

Austin and Bryant are very dangerous receivers, but to say they're better than Johnson is just short of remarkable. They're definitely two of the better receivers in the NFL, and Johnson is certainly "right there." But again, he's not almost as good as the Cowboys duo; he's at least as good and, like Ryan said, is excellent.

No offense to Bryant, but he's not the freakish athlete Johnson is. Johnson is taller, bigger, faster and can jump higher. Statistically, the Cowboys' first-round pick (18th overall) from last year's draft isn't worth comparing after just 14 games.

(Just for S&G, Johnson averages more receptions, yards and touchdowns than Bryant.)

in 14 games, Bryant has averaged 3.7 receptions 50 yards and half a touchdown to Johnson's 4.5, 70 yards and .57

Even taking away the nine games of Austin's rookie season during which his stat line is filled with bagels, the two aren't close, statistically. Since the beginning of the 2007 season, Austin has played in one game less than Johnson has.

Yet the statistics show a landslide Johnson victory: 286 catches for 4,416 yards and 39 touchdowns versus Austin's 182 catches for 2,948 yards and 25 touchdowns. Johnson even holds the edge in rushing, averaging 8.7 yards a carry for eight touchdowns while Austin averages 8.9 yards per carry for just one score.

Physically, again, Johnson is taller, bigger, faster and can jump higher than Austin.

Of course, the superiority of one wide receiver doesn't guarantee victory for Detroit. Not by a long shot, considering Dallas' impressive defense.

"We're going to get after him," Ryan said. "I know he's on some touchdown thing like that, whatever. [Lions offensive coordinator] Scott Linehan has done this before with great receivers with Randy Moss. If the guy is as good as Randy Moss I'm going to go in there and hide. Thank God he's not, but he's a pretty [expletive] good player."

Whether or not Johnson compares favorably to Moss is another discussion. And maybe the Cowboys will be able to slow the Lions superstar. But hopefully it won't be too hard to find Ryan among the other ostriches after the game.

[pic - click to view]

Dallas Cowboys' Rob Ryan: 'We work against better receivers' than Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson | MLive.com

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by SmooveDude; 10-01-2011 at 02:30 PM..

124 comments for "Rob Ryan: 'We work against better receivers' than Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson"

10-01-2011, 02:23 PM         #2
@RG3  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
id take calvin over both.. put together.
 6 years ago '04        #3
JBeezy 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,933 | Props total: 414 414
There's really no reason to analyze it as if it's even a debate. Ryan is just going to bat for his guys. Calvin is clearly the better WR than either Austin or Bryant.
 6 years ago '04        #4
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
$18,675 | Props total: 3270 3270
yea hes trippin...miles is top 10 but calvin is top 5 easily
 6 years ago '07        #5
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
It's plural obviously, 2 > 1 but I would take Johnson over both.
 6 years ago '10        #6
#JewLife 111 heat pts111
space
space
$17,771 | Props total: 7347 7347
Calvin barring injury is the GOAT receiver.
 10-01-2011, 02:45 PM         #8
SmooveDude  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TH35 said:
It's plural obviously, 2 > 1 but I would take Johnson over both.
man he aint mean it like that
 6 years ago '05        #9
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782

Calvin bout to go for another 2 TD's this week
 6 years ago '05        #10
b_eazy 62 heat pts62
space
space
$17,716 | Props total: 2360 2360

these ryans must like the taste of boot in their mouths
 6 years ago '05        #11
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782
 b_eazy said:

these ryans must like the taste of feet in their mouths
Fixed, and yeah they do
 6 years ago '07        #12
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
 SmooveDude said:
man he aint mean it like that
I know I just took it how it was written.
 6 years ago '04        #13
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,195 | Props total: 3340 3340
Stopped reading at thread title...

Why do this Ryan? Dont these moronic tactics backfire on your brother all the time??

Calvin will go for 3 TDs now and be humble about it..

I could see if he had a secondary to back him up but he does not

Edit: Just read it and now I'm even more appalled! Damn this man said Dez Bryant and Miles Austin were better receivers then Calvin Johnson

Last edited by Veno da Don; 10-01-2011 at 05:14 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #14
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,805 | Props total: 2668 2668
yeah nah...I always said all he needs is a breakout statistical year to become #1 in my book...barring any type of major injury to Calvin or Stafford, he's breaking records this year.
 6 years ago '04        #15
deathrow 
space
space
$2,387 | Props total: 2 2
:dancingcool:Megatron and dez both on my team lehhhgo!
 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM         #16
Braz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Calvin >>>> Andre

6 years ago '07        #17
24/7foamz 
space
space
$14,806 | Props total: 452 452
thanks for throwing the battery in megatron back
 6 years ago '05        #18
Die-Nasty 40 heat pts40
space
space
$2,258 | Props total: 972 972
Calvin over Dez and Miles???
 6 years ago '04        #19
YngSwift 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,767 | Props total: 156 156
how can you compare a teams only true offensive weapon to a a player on a team who has many weapons...ofcourse the player who gets 99% of the throws his way is gonna have much better stats in the long run then the player who has to split his throws with other weapons on the offense...stats really dont mean a player is better then another because he has more yards or catches or touchdowns...look at how many opportunities he had to get way up there!! look at how lebron stats while playing for the cavs then see his stats playing for the heat where he shares the ball more!!
 6 years ago '05        #20
trb_5 
space
space
$5,357 | Props total: 751 751
 YngSwift said:
how can you compare a teams only true offensive weapon to a a player on a team who has many weapons...ofcourse the player who gets 99% of the throws his way is gonna have much better stats in the long run then the player who has to split his throws with other weapons on the offense...stats really dont mean a player is better then another because he has more yards or catches or touchdowns...look at how many opportunities he had to get way up there!! look at how lebron stats while playing for the cavs then see his stats playing for the heat where he shares the ball more!!
so what exactly are you saying....that you agree with rob ryan because calvins statistics dont mean sh*t and he is the "go to guy" of that team?

i dislike the ryan brothers more and more everyday....the only thing we got in common is our love of feet...and even then i aint letting no n*gga cuckold my girls feet...thats my property

both these jackasses are overcompensating for the manliness they lack in bed since im sure their stomachs get in the way of everything
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
36 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
86 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy