"Drive" is the movie of the year, does anyone disagree with this?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
64 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
91 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne Tha god & Joe Budden Working On A New Show.
147 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #101
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,789 | Props total: 14597 14597
 youknowmystelo said:
It made me laugh.
I said it was funny.

Sid 6point7 said:
Lol this is actually a thoughtful review.

Oh well, movie is still a favorite of mine.
It was thoughtful until autistic homo . I don't defend movies I respect opinions but that's when I flatlined (laughed) and just didn't take that part seriously. The rest is respectable. I agree w/ his paper thin characters heavily too. I've also heard the arthouse version of Transporter before . As far as films this year though its up there this year has been above average at best.

Last edited by TH35; 09-30-2011 at 06:10 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #102
silentmurder2 1 heat pts
space
space
$674 | Props total: 0 0
 TH35 said:
I took you seriously until autistic homo which was funny but made no sense. That's when it sounded like you were mad about something else.
He really does seem to be autistic. He doesn't talk and just seems to stare at things and be in his own little world. The homo part is because of the fu*king jacket. It took me a minute to realize that the movie didn't actually take place in the 80's, what the hell is this guy dressing like this for?

Im not mad, just find it funny every time I read a review saying how amazing the movie was. I watched it yesterday and was almost laughing during the movie.
 6 years ago '07        #103
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 silentmurder2 said:
He really does seem to be autistic. He doesn't talk and just seems to stare at things and be in his own little world. The homo part is because of the fu*king jacket. It took me a minute to realize that the movie didn't actually take place in the 80's, what the hell is this guy dressing like this for?

Im not mad, just find it funny every time I read a review saying how amazing the movie was. I watched it yesterday and was almost laughing during the movie.
Yea, I've seen ppl mention the autistic angle before. The jacket , I never really paid attention to it, I just took the whole film as European. Europeans are weird like that w/ their 80s music and pink lettering. I wonder if the book has the same vibe as the movie.

Last edited by TH35; 09-30-2011 at 06:36 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #104
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,451 | Props total: 7096 7096
 youknowmystelo said:
at people still taking RT meter serious.
at people taking Armond White reviews serious.

09-30-2011, 06:41 PM         #105
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Reppindaburghh said:
at people taking Armond White reviews serious.

at you not knowing the differences between a intellectual real critic compared to enthusiastic movie-goers with degrees in writing.
 6 years ago '05        #106
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,451 | Props total: 7096 7096
 youknowmystelo said:
at you not knowing the differences between a intellectual real critic compared to enthusiastic movie-goers with degrees in writing.
at you thinking Armond White is an intellectual real critic.

09-30-2011, 06:52 PM         #107
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Reppindaburghh said:
at you thinking Armond White is an intellectual real critic.

Fall in line with the other fanboys/kids who shout and kick because his conscious, valid a.ssessments he makes.
 6 years ago '06        #108
Blah 17 heat pts17
space
space
$25,527 | Props total: 6757 6757
 silentmurder2 said:
Biggest over-hyped piece of trash in recent memory.

Do not let the positive reviews fool you. There is nothing cool, deep, or edgy about this film.

Hollow direct-to-DVD plot line with paper-thin characters. Horrible casting, and cartoon-like performances by the villains.

What is so great about this movie? The long boring shots of the Driver staring out the window? The way he mutters a word every 10 minutes? That is supposed to be deep or something? The movie had no depth, and really just didn't work in my opinion. I know what the director was going for with the 80's themed soundtrack but it just didn't play out.

The autistic homo in the Scorpion jacket all of a sudden turns into The Transporter half way through the film. The violence is completely unrealistic. This movie sucked

4/10 max
when i was watching i kept looking at my watch i havent done that in a long time while watching a flick, sh*t just kept dragging along about nothing
whats funny is people act like this movie is actually deep and theres something to get and understand
if Ryan didnt star in this movie it would be straight to dvd
 6 years ago '07        #109
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 - Streetz - said:
when i was watching i kept looking at my watch i havent done that in a long time while watching a flick, sh*t just kept dragging along about nothing
whats funny is people act like this movie is actually deep and theres something to get and understand
if Ryan didnt star in this movie it would be straight to dvd
Try watching Abduction. Not only would you look at your watch, you'd take that bi*ch off and and want to beat someone to death with it. Most likely everyone involved in the movie.
 10-01-2011, 07:44 AM         #110
Sid 6point7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It really boils down to the viewer and how they interpret the film. If it's an autistic homo you see then you might not know someone who's the violent, quiet type. Very soft spoken, laid back, snap-on-a-whim people exist out there. Again, actions speak louder than words; that's the point.

I personally have been in love and infatuated with only a few specific women in my life, I know the feeling it gives, so I could relate to all the subtle gesturing and emotions emitting back and forth between the driver and Irene. That's what made for great character development. When the camera went slow-motion and the Driver was taking Benicio in the apartment, Irene was following behind and just had that emotion you could feel through her facial expression. Refn did a great job in capturing those throughout the whole movie.

I just saw Bronson and Valhalla Rising a couple weeks before this so in a way I knew what I was getting myself into... sure Drive is a borrowed story with wholesale elements from other movies, but the way in which it was done was a very unique, and intriguing angle.

Still ranks up there with some of my favs like Last of the Mohicans, Gladiator, Chinatown.
 6 years ago '07        #111
Daville502 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,781 | Props total: 1306 1306
I dont know about movie of the year but I did enjoy it. Some parts toward the begining dragged some but overall it was a nice film. I liked Ryans Goslings character in particular. He was quite but he had a definite dont fu*k with me edge. I havent seen him in a lot of movies (Remember The Titans is the only one that stands out in my mind) but this was a strong preformance.
 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM         #112
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hanna or Drive soundtrack.
 6 years ago '07        #113
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 youknowmystelo said:
Hanna or Drive soundtrack.
Both and Attack the Block.
 10-01-2011, 09:44 AM         #114
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TH35 said:
Both and Attack the Block.
Attack the Block soundtrack
 6 years ago '07        #115
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 youknowmystelo said:
Attack the Block soundtrack
Well, just the Basement Jaxx track.
 6 years ago '04        #116
silentmurder2 1 heat pts
space
space
$674 | Props total: 0 0
 Sid 6point7 said:
It really boils down to the viewer and how they interpret the film. If it's an autistic homo you see then you might not know someone who's the violent, quiet type. Very soft spoken, laid back, snap-on-a-whim people exist out there. Again, actions speak louder than words; that's the point.

I personally have been in love and infatuated with only a few specific women in my life, I know the feeling it gives, so I could relate to all the subtle gesturing and emotions emitting back and forth between the driver and Irene. That's what made for great character development. When the camera went slow-motion and the Driver was taking Benicio in the apartment, Irene was following behind and just had that emotion you could feel through her facial expression. Refn did a great job in capturing those throughout the whole movie.

I just saw Bronson and Valhalla Rising a couple weeks before this so in a way I knew what I was getting myself into... sure Drive is a borrowed story with wholesale elements from other movies, but the way in which it was done was a very unique, and intriguing angle.

Still ranks up there with some of my favs like Last of the Mohicans, Gladiator, Chinatown.
I have known plenty of people like that in my life. Ryan Gosling doesn't have the face or voice to pull it off in my opinion. His blank stares and facial expressions don't do a good job of projecting anything.

These dialog-less scenes you are referring too just didn't convey the emotion I thought the director was going for, it all just seemed so forced and cliche. "Quiet dangerous guy falls for single mother and becomes protective over her son", we have seen it a thousand times because as you said, these elements have been borrowed by other movies. We know NOTHING about the Driver or his back story, only that he is a stunt driver and moonlights as a wheel-man. The way he turns into Jason Bourne is just very unrealistic to me.

I also didn't think the character development was done well at all. A few 5 minute silent scenes between the Driver and Irene just didn't do it for me. We never get a clear idea of exactly how far their relationship went. He's just the quiet guy in the building who helps her when her car breaks down, and all of a sudden he's like a father figure to the son. I thought the character development was WAY too fast. Also, this guy is willing to brutally murder people for this woman. It really just didn't make any sense.

I have never seen Bronson or Valhalla Rising so maybe I should check them out, but it just bothers me for some reason when I read someone saying that Drive should be ranked among the best films of our time. I am the demographic this film was looking for, and I just do not understand the praise it is receiving. Is it the worst film I have ever seen? Definitely not. I am just honestly not as impressed by this movie as other people seem to be.
 10-01-2011, 12:34 PM         #117
Sid 6point7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 silentmurder2 said:
I have known plenty of people like that in my life. Ryan Gosling doesn't have the face or voice to pull it off in my opinion. His blank stares and facial expressions don't do a good job of projecting anything.

These dialog-less scenes you are referring too just didn't convey the emotion I thought the director was going for, it all just seemed so forced and cliche. "Quiet dangerous guy falls for single mother and becomes protective over her son", we have seen it a thousand times because as you said, these elements have been borrowed by other movies. We know NOTHING about the Driver or his back story, only that he is a stunt driver and moonlights as a wheel-man. The way he turns into Jason Bourne is just very unrealistic to me.

I also didn't think the character development was done well at all. A few 5 minute silent scenes between the Driver and Irene just didn't do it for me. We never get a clear idea of exactly how far their relationship went. He's just the quiet guy in the building who helps her when her car breaks down, and all of a sudden he's like a father figure to the son. I thought the character development was WAY too fast. Also, this guy is willing to brutally murder people for this woman. It really just didn't make any sense.

I have never seen Bronson or Valhalla Rising so maybe I should check them out, but it just bothers me for some reason when I read someone saying that Drive should be ranked among the best films of our time. I am the demographic this film was looking for, and I just do not understand the praise it is receiving. Is it the worst film I have ever seen? Definitely not. I am just honestly not as impressed by this movie as other people seem to be.
Props. Although I personally enjoyed the movie immensely as it catered to my interests, your opposite-end-of-the-spectrum perspective is understandable with sound logic and reason.
 6 years ago '04        #118
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,101 | Props total: 4115 4115
I tried to love it, but I didn't. I love 80's theme movies, but this, I didn't. I mean, I liked it, but the praise it has received tried to shoot this movie as movie of the year. I'm going to watch it again, but we'll see what happens.
 6 years ago '04        #119
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,902 | Props total: 2583 2583
best movie ive seen this year so far...the style is different which is why its understandable that some people didnt like it, but i thought the pacing and subtleties were done perfectly
 6 years ago '08        #120
Deion 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,165 | Props total: 4 4
 silentmurder2 said:
Biggest over-hyped piece of trash in recent memory.

Do not let the positive reviews fool you. There is nothing cool, deep, or edgy about this film.

Hollow direct-to-DVD plot line with paper-thin characters. Horrible casting, and cartoon-like performances by the villains.

What is so great about this movie? The long boring shots of the Driver staring out the window? The way he mutters a word every 10 minutes? That is supposed to be deep or something? The movie had no depth, and really just didn't work in my opinion. I know what the director was going for with the 80's themed soundtrack but it just didn't play out.

The autistic homo in the Scorpion jacket all of a sudden turns into The Transporter half way through the film. The violence is completely unrealistic. This movie sucked

4/10 max
I'mand:agreement6: at the same time.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
107 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
157 comments
21 hours ago