Phonte - Charity Starts At Home (2011)

most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
98 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
232 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
54 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Boose just dropped album of the year with Boopac :chuuch:
48 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

What do you think it deserves?
5 mics - HEAT!! GOAT!! 63 48.09%
4 mics - Sick... 50 38.17%
3 mics - Good sh|t. 16 12.21%
2 mics - Could have been better. 2 1.53%
1 mic - TERRIBLE. 0 0%
Voters: 131. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #41
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,888 | Props total: 105 105
not into it. never liked little brother.. kinda boring.
 6 years ago '10        #42
knowlege bass 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 563 563
Got the link because I pre-ordered the signed copy....been rocking it since, had to take a biz trip to Montreal so gave me a chance to listen to it. This is a very good album, but takes about 3 full listens in to really appreciate. You have to cleanse your musical palette, its not techno, but its not boom bap either, just smoothed out channeled emotion. Introspective, honest and realistic but witty, Phonte is a man who has come to terms with what he is and the album reflects that.
 6 years ago '05        #43
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,980 | Props total: 3260 3260
 knowlege bass said:
Got the link because I pre-ordered the signed copy....been rocking it since, had to take a biz trip to Montreal so gave me a chance to listen to it. This is a very good album, but takes about 3 full listens in to really appreciate. You have to cleanse your musical palette, its not techno, but its not boom bap either, just smoothed out channeled emotion. Introspective, honest and realistic but witty, Phonte is a man who has come to terms with what he is and the album reflects that.
Great analysis..what I love about Phonte is he always changes up and does something different..everybody always wants him to go one way but he just says fu*k it..I'm gonna do what's dope to me. The Listening was different when it came out..then he went a little different and went more neo-soul/rap with Connected..then came back and gave us The Minstrel Show which had a message and was pure rapping..then got into his Foreign Exchange sh*t. I mean dude really is musically adept.
 6 years ago '05        #44
wr8201 
space
space
$5,894 | Props total: 4 4
 Switchc2390 said:
Great analysis..what I love about Phonte is he always changes up and does something different..everybody always wants him to go one way but he just says fu*k it..I'm gonna do what's dope to me. The Listening was different when it came out..then he went a little different and went more neo-soul/rap with Connected..then came back and gave us The Minstrel Show which had a message and was pure rapping..then got into his Foreign Exchange sh*t. I mean dude really is musically adept.
foreign exchange is just on another level

i dont think many people really appreciate the music from foregn exchange
 09-24-2011, 06:21 PM         #45
eouia 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Great fu*king Album!

6 years ago '06        #46
twenty1 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,134 | Props total: 107 107
 knowlege bass said:
damn, the last half of your post? you sound like a straight up album reviewer that you'd read in magazines.

well said.
 6 years ago '08        #47
Hiero 112 heat pts112
space
space
$19,567 | Props total: 2399 2399
 ebcrew said:
I agree with Little Brother being boring... Their lyrics are on point, but there's just something about their sound that puts me off.

To me, it took about 3 full listens for me to REALLY get into THIS album though... It has to grow on you. I'm not telling you to listen again, but if you do and it still doesn't do anything, then it isn't for you I guess.

Last edited by Hiero; 09-25-2011 at 09:12 AM..
 6 years ago '04        #48
bomester 
space
space
$2,634 | Props total: 0 0
 ebcrew said:

Wow... Boring? Duck Tales.
 6 years ago '04        #49
Aesop730 14 heat pts14
space
space
$19,658 | Props total: 5344 5344
With Median , you either like him or you hate him .. No inbetween . I like dude , I like his style , how its off key , but on -key and he brings lyrics .. On the album , Im feeling it , besides a couple joints .. I mean you get Phonte , the one from LB , except its a solo joint .. Its what you would expect from him , nothing more , nothing less .. But with all the trash thats been coming out , it is a breath of fresh air .
 09-25-2011, 10:53 PM         #50
smallforward 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jayg36 said:
I'm not hip to this, but I'm glad yall put me on. This is why I fu*ks with Boxden!
phonte,is this you?
 6 years ago '11        #51
STRIVERS LIFE 26 heat pts26
space
space
$3,876 | Props total: 3982 3982
There has to be a conspiracy. Phonte’s album is the album we’ve (as in the 2.5 Little Brother fans that still exist) been imagining since The Listening, the album we’ve been pining for since The Minstrel Show, the album we hoped Getback could have been and the one we wished we could substitute for Leftback.

In other words, this is the musical composition that ideally represents that LB sound–awkward yet flowing sample chops, supremely understated drums (courtesy of 9th wonder) and a complex, introspective look within an MC who knows that he’s better than the great majority and has matured to the point in his career where he doesn’t care about making you see that.

If he can’t out rap you (which he probably can), he’ll out sing you (which he probably can). If singing doesn’t work, he’ll outwit you (again, which he probably will AND make you laugh along with him AT you AT the same time). I might sound a lil’ d!ck-ride-ish but damn it’s been a long time coming.

“Dance in the Reign” comes in exactly as you thought it would it damn well better for as long as we’ve been waiting for it and the bars tell the story: “I’m on that separate, excrement/Yeah, on that other sh*t”. As sparse as the beat is, little more than organs and drums, Phonte probably wanted it that way so you had no choice but to feel it in your chest. “‘Cause they are not believers/That I don’t want the world/ But I done seen the world/ And if you ever saw it, hell, you wouldn’t want it either/”

Wow.

“The Good f!ght” is the ode to the everyman, all but the silver spoons can relate. 9th makes it crystal clear that he is the Premo to ‘Te’s Guru; he just doesn’t sound as natural as he does on those plain a.ss drums.

Read the rest of my review
 6 years ago '07        #52
blaqstar 
space
space
space
$11 | Props total: 0 0
super tight
 6 years ago '04        #53
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,184 | Props total: 3330 3330
 Switchc2390 said:

I guess to each their own..but Eternally is one of my favorite joints on the album and it is largely due to Median. Him and Te going back and forth brought back memories of "All that you are". Dude's dope.
Yeah some cats no matter what they saying just don't sound right to me.

The voice is key and Median doesn't have a voice or flow i enjoy.

Like you say to each is own
 09-27-2011, 02:41 AM         #54
D.C. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
4/5 for me. Great album, but there are a few songs that I'm not a huge fan of. The track with Median should have gone on Median's album, it doesn't really fit on this.
 6 years ago '11        #55
tonio25 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,441 | Props total: 5616 5616
It's amazing how he gets no support from N.C radio stations ( Atleast not the ones I pick up)
 6 years ago '07        #56
PowerBar Ernie 108 heat pts108
space
space
$5,901 | Props total: 1244 1244
This album is fu*king dope. Must cop!
 6 years ago '08        #57
dangeroushall 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,480 | Props total: 832 832
Phonte makes life-soundtrack music. Every single LB album had a song that could be used in a montage in my bio-pic. Ball and Chain isn't the best song on the album, but it's my favorite.
 6 years ago '04        #58
King Afrika 
space
space
$564 | Props total: 168 168
Even though I though he shouldn't have put Median on Eternally, he could've always done worse and put Cesar Comanche (the worst rapper in Justus League) on there....
 10-06-2011, 08:16 AM         #59
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
3.7/5
 6 years ago '07        #60
bx kid 4 heat pts
space
space
$7,210 | Props total: 1269 1269
4/5 hands down brings a breath of fresh air to music

10-phonte-we_go_off.mp3>>>>
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
98 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
46 comments
23 hours ago