Fringe Season 4 Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
84 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
47 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #61
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,445 | Props total: 7086 7086

[pic - click to view]

When Fringe is at its best, it's one of the smartest shows on television. And smart doesn't just mean moving along at a nice pace with cool twists, some snappy dialogue that you quote for weeks, or some goofy symbolism. To me, smart is layered television that works on multiple levels, capturing a theme that both embraces the on-screen standalone plot and the season-long arcs, yet also transcends the pixels on the screen. "One Night in October" had more layers than a hipster in San Francisco during the summer. Or a giant onion, if you prefer boring, overused metaphors. As long as you get the point: last night's episode was deep.

The episode's case of the week was an excellent way to show off the season's unique device of integrating both universes. The lowdown: Broyles brings Olivia a case, and it's a doozy. A serial k!ller has murdered almost two dozen people. The twist: The case is from the other universe, which wants our universe to help out on. The double twist: They want our guys to help out by going over there. The quadruple-dog dare twist: They want Olivia to bring our version of the serial k!ller (who happens to be a psychologist) over to their place to see if he can profile the k!ller, which, for all intents and purposes, is an exact copy of himself.

What happens after that is something that would make Rod Serling's head spin so hard that it falls off, explodes, then all the pieces explode again. How would YOU react if you met a copy of yourself? A copy that reminded you of what you potentially could have become? Good guy John (a dream role well played by guest star John Pyper-Ferguson) is sedated and unknowingly brought over to the other side to bad guy John's house in what Alt-livia calls a "calculated risk." We're privy to the knowledge that John can at any time get a clue that he's not only crossed over to another universe, but that he's hunting a version of himself who happens to be a serial k!ller. And sure enough, it all comes down on him at once, and he's got more mental fortitude than I do because he somehow not only kept it together, but recognized that he might be the only one who can stop him(self). I would have been curled in a ball in the corner weeping for my mommy.

[pic - click to view]

Setting up John against himself was brilliant because it served as a case study for dopplegangers across universes, helping us learn about how they differ. The lesson (which we've known before but beautifully illustrated here) was that copies of each other aren't fundamentally all that different, but a simple choice can lead to a very different path, which in turn can have huge consequences. John from our side was saved from becoming a serial k!ller because he met a compassionate woman named Margery. Other side John had no such fortune, so he kept on walking down the path that would steer him towards sucking the happy memories out of people's brains through a straw. I could watch case after case of civilians crossing universes and having their heads explode. So cool.

Now we apply that thinking to everyone else, particularly Olivia and Alt-livia. We don't know their pasts after the Peter-free reset button was pushed, so now we're left to wonder how the two came to be so different yet also the same (Olivia did admit-–in awesome matter-of-fact fashion–to k!lling her stepfather). And let's give a round of applause to Anna Torv, who is no longer playing just two characters. She's essentially on Olivias 3 and 4, Olivia and Alt-livia sans Peter, who are very different from the Olivia and Alt-livia who knew Peter. The new Olivia is still incredibly guarded (last week I felt she had regressed back to Season 1 Olivia and this episode supports that) and the new Alt-livia is even more mischievous than Season 3's Alt-livia. It's a joy to watch Torv bounce back and forth between the two and act against herself, and you can tell she's having a lot of fun with it. She must be on set 18 hours a day!

There was also more proof that Fringe is going for that cosmic love story when Broyles mentions that some people can leave indelible impressions on others, perhaps so great that they can last beyond memory loss (in Margery's case) or even existence (Peter). Is the Peter calling out to Walter merely an imprint? Or is there an ethereal Peter somewhere trying to break through back into existence? Is Olivia destined to be a sad puppy without Peter in her life?

The case is also representative of the dangers of mixing the universes and Season 4 as a whole. What happened when one universe (good John) collided with another universe (bad John)? Someone's brains ended up on the wall. It was a cautionary tale that bad things happen when the two sides get together, and guess what? That's what Fringe is going to be doing a whole lot of this season.

What impressed me so much about "One Night in October" was how the writers came up with a cool idea and immediately took it to the next step. It's one thing to come up with a great concept (the notion of two universes interacting with each other), it's another thing to take that concept and apply it on a personal level (through John's eyes), which the viewer can then use to better understand how things are going to work in what is destined to be a very interesting season of Fringe. "One Night in October" is thoroughly an enjoyable episode and one of the series' best.

[pic - click to view]

Notes from the Other Side:

– In the advanced screener Fox sent out to the media, you can hear Peter call out for Walter when Astrid takes the needle off the record. In the broadcast version, they turned the volume down on it a lot, but if you listen VERY carefully, you can still hear it ever so faintly.

– What does the scan agents go through before going between universes do? Is it a way to sterilize them so that contaminants don't cross universes (a common sci-fi trope) or is it something more?

– I'm still waiting for new Walter to let us in on his parental history. Did he even have Peter at all? Did Peter die as a boy?

– When Peter calls out for Walter at the end, why does he say he needs help?

– Does anyone want to take it down the path that maybe these are two completely different universes that we're watching now? If the universe is infinite then there are infinite possibilities, etc., etc., run with it!

– Astrid to Olivia: "Do you ever think that maybe your type just doesn't exist?" EXACTLY!

– Does anyone else not buy the convenient memory loss of John's? Someone had to have done that Men in Black memory-erasing thing to him, right?

– How fun is it to see how things are different without Peter? Over There Broyles is still alive and Charlie is dating Bug Girl! Anything else I missed?

– Just a hunch, but I think Altern-Astrid is the computer program from Person of Interest.

– I never make an effort to find The Observer that's hidden in each episode, but think I saw him in the very last shot of Olivia as she walks off screen. He's in the background, and very blurry. Does anyone else out there look for them?
 6 years ago '05        #62
space
space
There we go, they answered a couple of questions.

Can't wait for them to start actively seeking out Peter in the next episode hopefully.
 6 years ago '10        #63
nigga123 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,838 | Props total: 1489 1489
I'm still not satisfied so far this season. What was the point in watching this for 3 years if it now doesn't count for anything? Even if they restore everything will it really be as it was? I doubt the past 3 years would be restored intact.
It was all going well until this season.
Lincoln cool tho, good addition.
 6 years ago '05        #64
space
space
 n*gga123 said:
I'm still not satisfied so far this season. What was the point in watching this for 3 years if it now doesn't count for anything? Even if they restore everything will it really be as it was? I doubt the past 3 years would be restored intact.
Everything that happened over the past 3 years still happened, Peter just wasn't a part of it. All of the past cases we've witnessed still happened.
 6 years ago '04        #65
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,077 | Props total: 4424 4424
 n*gga123 said:
I don't get what's not to like they are showing the value of this one guy to all of these people

I still think the only logical conclussion is to save both peters in the past negating any reason walternate from attacking the main universe
 6 years ago '06        #66
SM 38164 heat pts38164
space
space
$127,810 | Props total: 67144 67144

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #67
space
space
 Ghostface Wu said:
lmao at people judging a season off 2 episodes. It's honestly retarded how some of your peoples train of thought works.
 6 years ago '06        #68
SM 38164 heat pts38164
space
space
$127,810 | Props total: 67144 67144

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #70
bullack86 34 heat pts34
space
space
$2,300 | Props total: 128 128
Peters back!!!
 6 years ago '06        #71
droid3000 995 heat pts995
space
space
$26,461 | Props total: 26162 26162
anyone else on here think astrid would make the perfect girlfriend?

[pic - click to view]

smart,looks nice, nice etc

Last edited by droid3000; 10-14-2011 at 11:58 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #72
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,324 | Props total: 8459 8459
Crazy to see the effect of Peter not being there, Walter never got out of his shell, etc.....

I seen someone above say save both Peters...... that seems to be the only logical solution, wonder how they are gonna travel through time
 6 years ago '04        #73
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,077 | Props total: 4424 4424
 PotheadFocker said:
Crazy to see the effect of Peter not being there, Walter never got out of his shell, etc.....

I seen someone above say save both Peters...... that seems to be the only logical solution, wonder how they are gonna travel through time
the same way they traveled through time to put the machine in the past thats about the only way i could see it happening

i gotta wait 2 weeks for a new episode fu*k the world series if the yankees aint in it put that sh*t on in the afternoon
 6 years ago '05        #74
space
space
 Aleandroid said:
anyone else on here think astrid would make the perfect girlfriend?

[pic - click to view]

smart,looks nice, nice etc

Definitely.

MosDefinition said:
the same way they traveled through time to put the machine in the past thats about the only way i could see it happening

i gotta wait 2 weeks for a new episode fu*k the world series if the yankees aint in it put that sh*t on in the afternoon
Wowwwww, there isn't even a world series game on tomorrow, but I just checked and it is a repeat tomorrow . That's how you lose fu*king viewers, leave them on a huge cliff hanger and then make them wait 2 weeks. Non-die-hard fans will lose interest in a show when that happens. . Way to go Fox.

Anyway, I just watched last weeks episode now and . This is definitely shaping up to be the best season of the show so far. Awesome episode. Walters acting is amazing, to, most underrated actor on television imo.

I was all excited thinking I'd be able to DVR the episode and watch it on Saturday during the day, but nope, gotta wait till next week now.

10-21-2011, 08:23 AM         #75
cheguevara 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
was a fan for 3 seasons...i have not even started watching this season yet once i found out peter wasnt on it
 10-21-2011, 08:30 AM         #76
cheguevara 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jesusplay said:
y'all do know Astrid is gay, right?

how do you know that
 6 years ago '05        #77
space
space
 cheguevara said:
was a fan for 3 seasons...i have not even started watching this season yet once i found out peter wasnt on it

Peter is in this season, the fu*k are you talkin about?
 6 years ago '04        #78
Ph8te 
space
space
space
$453 | Props total: 40 40
 Reppindaburghh said:

Peter is in this season, the fu*k are you talkin about?
^^^^ this

The truly funny thing is that they say they have been a fan, but it's been k ow for a long time Peter would be back in one form or another this season. Peter Jackson had signed with the show for season 4 before the finale aired for season 3.
 6 years ago '04        #79
Ph8te 
space
space
space
$453 | Props total: 40 40
 jesusplay said:
y'all do know Astrid is gay, right?

RANT:

this season is bullsh*t on account walter doesn't believe in ghost: yet this season he does and believed he was going crazy: also instead of using science or logic to figure out what the blue sh*t was he wanted to destroy it?

This is another universe/reality since the timeline got broke..thus the yellow opening scene and not blue....
I was going to mention this, but thought better of it (Astrid). I've known that for a long time know.

Did you edit out some of your post. The 1st part of it seems disjointed with the last part. The last part of your post answers your rant however.
 6 years ago '05        #80
space
space

Because game 6 of the world series got postponed till tomorrow, if St. Louis wins tomorrow night there will be a fu*king game 7 on Friday and Fringe will be delayed AGAIN till next Friday.

Way to fu*king go, Fox.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
35 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
93 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
129 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
242 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy