Kendrick Perkins to Russell Westbrook: You can't match Rondo as a playmaker. Clash ensues (Report)

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
75 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
61 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
117 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #1
9265 pageviews
84 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
Kendrick Perkins to Russell Westbrook: You can't match Rondo as a playmaker. Clash ensues (Report)

A lot was made of the supposed bubbling conflict on the tight-knit Thunder last season. Everyone got all huffy when Russell Westbrook took a bunch of shots and kind of just a.ssumed that it made Kevin Durant real mad.

But the Thunder's well-known chemistry was put to the test well before that. Not only did the trade that sent Jeff Green to Boston for Kendrick Perkins send one of their closest friends to another team -- Green called his fellow Thunder players his brothers -- but evidently there were a few hiccups with Perk when he got to town too. Via the New York Daily News, which admittedly, is a pretty weird source for this, but here it is:

As much as coach Scott Brooks chafes at GM Sam Presti’s meddling, his presence in the locker room, and his demands that the Thunder continue to improve from within, the organization is a lot more concerned with how Kendrick Perkins treats Russell Westbrook.

After arriving from the Celtics last season and being looked at as the veteran leader Oklahoma City needed to take the next step to compete for a title, Perkins went hard at Westbrook with his verbal criticisms, often saying that the Thunder’s playmaker couldn’t match Rajon Rondo as a playmaker. Those words didn’t sit well with Westbrook, who already had been criticized for shooting too much and was the subject of a benching heard-round-the-NBA when the Thunder played the Mavs in June.

(The writer, Mitch Lawrence, was also the one who reported that a Thunder veteran said that Westbrook thinks he's better than Durant. Also, I guess he's got someone telling him about a little friction between the Thunder's front office and Scott Brooks. I don't really know how accurate that is, but that's twice it's been mentioned.)

There's no doubt Perkins let people hear his voice early and often when he got to Oklahoma City. Everyone talked about what a vocal leader he was as soon as he stepped off the plane and that he led by keeping everyone accountable. A lot of players appreciated that approach, most notably Serge Ibaka who blossomed alongside Perkins.

But Westbrook, as he admits himself, is an emotional player that has a chip so big on his shoulder that it's more like a chunk. So when (or if) the new guy comes strolling in with his big mean scowl and starts barking at him over a turnover, I'm sure he wasn't a fan. I remember a game early on where Perk was talking to Westbrook on the bench during a timeout and Westbrook very clearly tuned him out. There was another time where I remember Westbrook responding and there was a mini-argument on the bench.

Is it a big deal? Not really, as long as you win. Chemistry is a great thing and the Thunder had it as well as anyone with Jeff Green. But that wasn't enough for the Thunder to win. They needed that big presence in the middle. They needed the defensive accountability that Perk brought. If that means they don't always get along, so be it. Sometimes you don't like your teammates. Sometimes you really don't like your teammates. You think Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant have always gotten along? What matters most is playing well and winning together.

Now what you run the risk of is when things start going bad and the team starts losing, that little tiff can turn into a time bomb that blows up in everyone's face. When you have a locker room that's not getting along, a team can survive as long as it's playing well. When it doesn't, then fingers start getting point and people start getting angry. Of course that would be if there is an actual upset of feelings within the Thunder with Westbrook and Perk. It's very likely this is nothing more than just a little misunderstanding. I never personally saw anything that would make me think that the team -- or Westbrook and Perk specifically -- weren't getting along.

A concerning trend could be starting up though. Perk seems to be popular with everyone and if he's clashing with Westbrook combined with all the other noise, it could just be another issue with the hot-headed point guard. Hard not to notice that Westbrook often seems to be on an island while everyone else is pretty tight knit on and off the court. Then again, we don't see everything.

I guess it's just one more thing to talk about with the Thunder though. So be it.

[pic - click to view]

Kendrick Perkins clashed with Russell Westbrook? - CBSSports.com

[pic - click to view]

84 comments for "Kendrick Perkins to Russell Westbrook: You can't match Rondo as a playmaker. Clash ensues (Report)"

6 years ago '04        #2
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
Real talk.
 6 years ago '10        #3
SmoothTay 23 heat pts23
space
space
$26,618 | Props total: 30600 30600
:hmm:
 6 years ago '11        #4
Joseph 13 heat pts13
space
space
$24,140 | Props total: 6409 6409
russell is still way better than rondo
 6 years ago '04        #5
Rufus The Stunt 
space
space
space
$4,355 | Props total: 0 0
Westbrook is a way better Shooting Guard than Rajon Rondo

Yes. You read that right.
 6 years ago '10        #6
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,528 | Props total: 9908 9908
Trade his a.ss back to the celtics already, gotdamn They brainwashing n*ggas up their.

This is ridiculous. I bet he would intentionally miss shots against the celtics.
 6 years ago '10        #7
DurtySoufReppin 76 heat pts76
space
space
$7,718 | Props total: 14 14
dem chemistry issues

I want them n*ggaz back in the play-offs with a healthy Rudy

Maybe a 4-5 matchup in Play-offs
 09-18-2011, 05:33 PM         #8
IamTo8y 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
rondo is so damn overrated
 6 years ago '04        #9
LordBlanco|M 50 heat pts50
space
space
$35,067 | Props total: 19945 19945
 Rufus The Stunt said:
Westbrook is a way better Shooting Guard than Rajon Rondo

Yes. You read that right.
thats how i see it.... dudes are really forgetting what a PG is...
 6 years ago '09        #10
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,276 | Props total: 19433 19433
perk was trynna challenge wake westbrook up you got one of the best scorers in the game on your team get him the ball more there shouldn't be games in the playoffs when your point guard taking more shots than everyone on the team unless he is the number 1 option...westbrook could average 10 a.ssist if he look to pass some more but let's not put the blame solely on russell dude still a excellent player but i am confident he will improve
 09-18-2011, 05:53 PM         #11
Little Dice 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
rondo is not even the best pg in the game, for perkins to used rondo as the model to look up to is trolling. westbrook should have told him...you can't match no center in the league skill wise except for being a big body
 6 years ago '06        #12
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
Let em know perk
 6 years ago '10        #13
OJ Pimpson 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$13,589 | Props total: 9900 9900
fu*k Rondo non shooting a.ss

Gimme Westbrook any day

Rondo just benefited from playing with Future Hall of Famers
 6 years ago '10        #14
OJ Pimpson 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$13,589 | Props total: 9900 9900

[pic - click to view]

09-18-2011, 06:26 PM         #15
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he has spoken....

:agreement6:
 6 years ago '07        #16
Cartel-Clipz 28 heat pts28
space
space
$29,405 | Props total: 21552 21552
he's right
 6 years ago '07        #17
Captain Fresh 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,052 | Props total: 7552 7552
truth hurts huh russ
 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM         #18
hot 111 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
f*ck all yall rondo and boston for life. Big Pic said that. N E P
 6 years ago '11        #19
Joseph 13 heat pts13
space
space
$24,140 | Props total: 6409 6409
 smoothmotionz said:
rondo is BY FAR the best true point guard in the nba
>>>
 6 years ago '08        #20
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
 StylinOnYou said:
>>>
deron williams isnt a true pg because he knows how to shoot :rolleyes:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
85 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
56 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
84 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
187 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
117 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy