DJ Clark Kent Speaks On Jay-Z vs. Biggie: "Jay Always Felt He Was The Best..." | VIBE

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
10627 pageviews
159 comments

Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,599 | Props total: 908 908
DJ Clark Kent Speaks On Jay-Z vs. Biggie: "Jay Always Felt He Was The Best..." | VIBE

[pic - click to view]

On Blueprint, for the first time, Jay-Z staked claim to Biggie Smalls’ G.O.A.T. crown (“And if I ain’t better than Big, I’m the closest one” — “Hola Hovito”). Producer and DJ Clark Kent sizes up Brooklyn’s lyrical kings

"If Jay said he was the next best to Big, he’d be talking about being a rapper. But being an emcee—straight lyricism—there's no question; Jay always felt he was the best. When it comes to being a rapper—saying rhymes perfectly and changing the way you felt—that's Big. Jay is the best emcee; Big was the best rapper. Period.

They definitely influenced each other. Listen to [Ready To Die]; rapper-wise, it sh*ts on everything. Get to [Life After death], Big became a 10-times better lyricist after meeting Jay. The emcee started to come out. And look at Jay now. Who makes better songs than him? The respect Jay had for Big geared that line. Anybody that takes that wrong is totally reaching.

[Having worked with both], the most striking difference would be weed. Big smoked weed, listened to the beat, and made the record. I've never seen Jay smoke. They both were about being lyrically witty; their want to be the illest was crazy. I would tell [Biggie] about Jay like, 'Yo, my boy gets busy.' We come off tour sitting in the airport and Big plays the whole version of "Who Shot Ya?" on a box, like, 'Clark, I’m not the hardest rapper?' Imagine that." —As told to John Kennedy

[pic - click to view]

DJ Clark Kent Speaks On Jay-Z vs. Biggie: 'Jay Always Felt He Was The Best...' | VIBE

159 comments for "DJ Clark Kent Speaks On Jay-Z vs. Biggie: "Jay Always Felt He Was The Best..." | VIBE"

6 years ago '07        #2
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
 6 years ago '05        #3
thaillest719 
space
space
$2,308 | Props total: 49 49
 iPod160 said:
1a and 1b depending on what song is playin...
Totally agree with that.
 6 years ago '07        #4
Jayceon 492 heat pts492 OP
space
space
$27,599 | Props total: 908 908
I take jay over big any day. Lotta n*ggas look at me crazy for that. But I feel like Big gets the same martyr treatment as pac.
 6 years ago '06        #5
28 Gramz 51 heat pts51
space
space
$7,572 | Props total: 4482 4482
Jay>Biggie, and I'm far from a Hov stan. Biggie is the most overrated nikka ever.
 6 years ago '06        #6
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,045 | Props total: 18807 18807
at Jay thinkin he was nicer than Biggie....

Big hadn't even fully developed as an emcee and he was still blowin Jay out the fu*kin water....
 6 years ago '10        #7
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
I'll take Biggie. No one paints pictures better than him.
 6 years ago '06        #8
NYC-Banga 107 heat pts107
space
space
$13,521 | Props total: 3461 3461
 Hovi Bryant said:
I'll take Biggie. No one paints pictures better than him.
slick rick?
 6 years ago '04        #9
izzy2024 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$939 | Props total: 13 13
I mean when Big died, he was DEFINITELY better then Jay. Since then, Jay has imo passed him, but it's not really fair since Big didn't get the chance to evolve and improve through the years like Jay did.

Still, both are top 5 obviously.
 6 years ago '10        #10
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,158 | Props total: 8167 8167
I don't know I always felt Big was the best rapper out of everybody, honestly he still is, Lupe is a close second. But Jay to me is the GOAT just based on his career and his skills as a rapper and his validity.
 6 years ago '10        #11
SickaMorStyle 402 heat pts402
space
space
$3,994 | Props total: 1 1
If big was still alive, I dont think jay z would be even close to his present status
 6 years ago '10        #12
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 S W A N said:
Biggies flow and storytelling blow Jay away. Dude could paint a picture like no other. We all know "light skinned Jermaine" and "Arizona Ron". I like both but i feel like Jay was chasing Biggies ghost his whole career. Question is.....if Big had lived would Jay be as big as he is?
"n*ggas bleed" should be mandatory for all US Creative writing college courses. That's truly a perfect verse if there ever was such a thing.
 6 years ago '10        #13
space
space
 NYC-Banga said:
slick rick?
He doesn't make his music easy to relate with like Big. Big tells stories in a first person perspective and makes you feel everything he's saying even if you don't even live that life. I haven't heard anyone be remotely close to that skill.
 6 years ago '10        #14
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 Hiphopknowledge said:
The simple fact that jay z constantly bites biggie already ends this discussion

Ready to die and life after death>>>>>>>>>>any 2 jay z cds

You cant be serious with this biting big nonsense, Jay-z lyrics get recycled more than anybody in rap
 6 years ago '10        #15
space
space
 Hiphopknowledge said:
The simple fact that jay z constantly bites biggie already ends this discussion

Ready to die and life after death>>>>>>>>>>any 2 jay z cds
Not really; everyone knows that Jay-Z has hits that doesn't quote any of Big's lines at all. Or anyone else'. I don't see why that would take away from the comparison between the two. If that's his way of showing respect, so be it.
 6 years ago '06        #16
6thward 
space
space
$641 | Props total: 2 2
I don't know people just sh*t on Nas but realistically if he wasn't so reluctant to be a star he would have to be in that discussion his lines are way more vivid than Jays. Hell even Jay acknowledged it on Where Im from. Don't believe just listen to the message you could close your eyes and see the whole damn scene he painted.
 6 years ago '10        #17
VeX 
space
space
$3,718 | Props total: 43 43
Big > Jay
 6 years ago '04        #18
KillaRay 
space
space
$865 | Props total: 0 0
i hate these "wut if" and "biting" arguments... "wut if" is done.. big and pac dead stop thinking of possibility when it cant happen.. and biting, the majority of that sh*t was for blueprint.. and jay explained y he did so in a song and regardless of the line from big or snoop or whoever else he took from, his version almost always sounds better... the way he transforms the lines to his likin and make it better then the original should be enough to cut the argument off
 6 years ago '10        #19
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,538 | Props total: 5870 5870
People always mention Jay paraphrasing BIG, but he didn't start doing that until Vol. 2. I think he was a " better " rapper before he started doing that.
 6 years ago '10        #20
AriGold 171 heat pts171
space
space
$4,819 | Props total: 2205 2205
 6thward said:
I don't know people just sh*t on Nas but realistically if he wasn't so reluctant to be a star he would have to be in that discussion his lines are way more vivid than Jays. Hell even Jay acknowledged it on Where Im from. Don't believe just listen to the message you could close your eyes and see the whole damn scene he painted.
The best 3 MC's ever are Biggie, Jay Z and Nas. Eminem is right there also. I can't disrespect Em because he didn't come out till later but Em had the help of Dr Dre behind him while Biggie, Jay and Nas pretty much came in the game on their own. Puff wasn't Puff until he had Big.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now