Alberta - oil rigs - no experience-make $40 an hour

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
58 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 14 - The FCC just killed net neutrality
77 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
251 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #121
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
$960 | Props total: 30 30
Anyone ever been to a texas camp? What's it like?
 5 years ago '07        #122
kounterfit21 
space
space
$474 | Props total: 0 0
 rdogg11 said:
Anyone ever been to a texas camp? What's it like?
I worked out in Midland-West Texas. The oilfield days are changing now. It's not quite what you see on Black Gold, if you have ever watched it. The drilling companies have their HR departments more involved so a lot of sh*t talking/hazing that used to take place is definitely mitigated now. It's definitely not as hardcore as it used to be with ST-80's replacing tongs, FRC's, and all the other safety sh*t they've come up with.

Regardless, a lot of the guys have been out in the field for years and they will still fu*k with new guys. All they want from a new guy is for them to work their a.ss off and learn quickly. Always be doing sh*t when you first start out. If you find yourself with nothing to do grab a scrub brush and go clean the pumps, pits, or something dirty or go pick up trash. The job is very repetitive so you will get a lot of practice at doing the same sh*t over and over and over again. And then you'll also want to fit in with your crew considering you'll be spending as much time with them as you would with your family.
 5 years ago '07        #123
kounterfit21 
space
space
$474 | Props total: 0 0
 YoungKazzy said:
When is the best time to do the oil rig work if you are 18 and going to university ?
You don't need a college education to work on a rig. A majority of those guys have never been to college. However, if you want to keep moving up (ie: Rig Manager, Rig Superintendent) you might want to get a degree--though it's not required with a hell of a lot of experience.
 5 years ago '04        #124
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
$10,859 | Props total: 3982 3982
 ATLDOPEBOI18 said:
jus got out the military that aint sh*t to me imma do wat i gotta do for my wife and kids
Get it bro!
 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM         #125
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kounterfit21 said:
I worked out in Midland-West Texas. The oilfield days are changing now. It's not quite what you see on Black Gold, if you have ever watched it. The drilling companies have their HR departments more involved so a lot of sh*t talking/hazing that used to take place is definitely mitigated now. It's definitely not as hardcore as it used to be with ST-80's replacing tongs, FRC's, and all the other safety sh*t they've come up with.

Regardless, a lot of the guys have been out in the field for years and they will still fu*k with new guys. All they want from a new guy is for them to work their a.ss off and learn quickly. Always be doing sh*t when you first start out. If you find yourself with nothing to do grab a scrub brush and go clean the pumps, pits, or something dirty or go pick up trash. The job is very repetitive so you will get a lot of practice at doing the same sh*t over and over and over again. And then you'll also want to fit in with your crew considering you'll be spending as much time with them as you would with your family.
So I am guessing whatever job you have to do is done once and they expect you to pick it up right after?
 5 years ago '04        #126
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
 rdogg11 said:
This guys speaking the absolute truth. A few things about myself though. I have great work ethic, I'm pretty strong, I never fu*king wine about sh*t (thats numner one) but when everyones doing sh*t I always try and get in and help but i just end pissing people off. When I don't know what to do/ I start to freak out a lil bit cause I dont want to look like a dogfu*ker. Any advice on how to not p!ss of the crew and ask what the fu*k I should be doing. I'm always saying sh*t like "you need help with that" and it just pissed people off.
If you have a crew that's worth a sh*t, they'll keep you busy. Don't ever be shy to get in and help, even if you think you'll p!ss someone off. Rigs run by a chain of command.

Company man
Tool Pusher
Driller
Derrick Hand
Lead Tongs
Floor Hands
Worms
Ginzos (Worm's worm)

You're number one go to guy is going to be your driller. If you feel like you're fu*king the dog, just ask your driller... Say, "Drill, what do you want me to do?" "Drill, give me something to do." "Drill, where do you want me?" Sometimes the driller will pass you off to someone below him, and you'll do whatever that guy says. Really though, if you just show initiative and stay busy, you'll make a hand just fine. That's all anyone on a rig expects of you, is to make a hand.

Last edited by Decan45; 01-29-2013 at 06:27 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #127
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
 kounterfit21 said:

Black Gold is a joke... But this guy's right about a lot of it. It depends on the company, the rig, and the complexity of the well (i.e: directional drilling). The more expensive and complex the rig and well is that you're on, the more "brainy" the operation will be. They'll have top drives instead of Kellys, hydraulic lay down machines, ST-80s (automatic tongs), control rooms where the driller can operate the rig without having to stand on the brake, far less hazing, less hours, more men, much safer, etc. It just depends what kind of rig you're on and who you're working for. Many wells in West Texas especially, are very straight forward, vertical, relatively shallow wells. Most rigs operating in these conditions are more old school, and aren't hindered by the gigantic ball of red tape that some of these bigger operations deal with.

Things are changing in the oilfield. It's becoming progressively softer, easier and safer, albeit much more costly and time consuming.
 5 years ago '04        #128
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space

[video - click to view]

Spinnin' chain old school...
 5 years ago '09        #129
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
 Decan45 said:
If you have a crew that's worth a sh*t, they'll keep you busy. Don't ever be shy to get in and help, even if you think you'll p!ss someone off. Rigs run by a chain of command.

Company man
Tool Pusher
Driller
Derrick Hand
Lead Tongs
Floor Hands
Worms
Ginzos (Worm's worm)

You're number one go to guy is going to be your driller. If you feel like you're fu*king the dog, just ask your driller... Say, "Drill, what do you want me to do?" "Drill, give me something to do." "Drill, where do you want me?" Sometimes the driller will pass you off to someone below him, and you'll do whatever that guy says. Really though, if you just show initiative and stay busy, you'll make a hand just fine. That's all anyone on a rig expects of you, is to make a hand.
Thanks for the great reply man.

They don't really teach you that stuff at an H2S course.

I don't wanna bother the driller though and p!ss him off I feel like thats my goal and if I do ask him a question he'll be pissed off, so I always got the motorman. Is this wrong??

I'm starting in a texas camp in alberta tomm. Any advice??
 5 years ago '04        #130
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
 rdogg11 said:
Thanks for the great reply man.

They don't really teach you that stuff at an H2S course.

I don't wanna bother the driller though and p!ss him off I feel like thats my goal and if I do ask him a question he'll be pissed off, so I always got the motorman. Is this wrong??

I'm starting in a texas camp in alberta tomm. Any advice??
Not sure man... I've never been to a camp. My first day on a rig was just showing up completely blind.

As far as not bothering the driller, I'm not sure why you'd say that. I don't know if things are different up there, but down here the driller's job, other than running the rig obviously, is to tell you what to do. The drill is supposed to be telling all of the hands what they need to be doing at any given time. The company man tells the pusher what he wants, the pusher dictates that to the driller, and the driller lines out all of the hands underneath him. Occasionally you'll find a really gung-ho pusher, and he'll get hands on and start running everything. On most of the rigs I've been on, there's no designated "motor man". Everybody maintains the rig together as a team. Most of my experience is with more "traditional" rigs. To be honest though, you sound motivated enough to make it just fine. All it takes to be successful at roughnecking is to be able to suck it the fu*k up, stay motivated, be relatively safe and pay attention to everything there is to learn. That's really all it is. Keep it simple. Don't over think it.
 5 years ago '09        #131
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
 Decan45 said:
Not sure man... I've never been to a camp. My first day on a rig was just showing up completely blind.

As far as not bothering the driller, I'm not sure why you'd say that. I don't know if things are different up there, but down here the driller's job, other than running the rig obviously, is to tell you what to do. The drill is supposed to be telling all of the hands what they need to be doing at any given time. The company man tells the pusher what he wants, the pusher dictates that to the driller, and the driller lines out all of the hands underneath him. Occasionally you'll find a really gung-ho pusher, and he'll get hands on and start running everything. On most of the rigs I've been on, there's no designated "motor man". Everybody maintains the rig together as a team. Most of my experience is with more "traditional" rigs. To be honest though, you sound motivated enough to make it just fine. All it takes to be successful at roughnecking is to be able to suck it the fu*k up, stay motivated, be relatively safe and pay attention to everything there is to learn. That's really all it is. Keep it simple. Don't over think it.
cheers. texas camp is the bomb. you stay in a nice shack with your own room own tv. making 2800 for just staying there for twenty days. plus the rig is about a minute away.
finished 14 days of rigging. Anyone got any questions?
 5 years ago '04        #132
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,477 | Props total: 6060 6060
 rdogg11 said:
cheers. texas camp is the bomb. you stay in a nice shack with your own room own tv. making 2800 for just staying there for twenty days. plus the rig is about a minute away.
put me the fu*k on
 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM         #133
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 rdogg11 said:
Whats your yearly salary? How was your first day? How did you get the job and what was the drop out rate?
 5 years ago '09        #134
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
 Darkdrone said:
Whats your yearly salary? How was your first day? How did you get the job and what was the drop out rate?
If I worked all year round, it works out to over 100 g's a year. My first day was good, crew was good. I got the job by just applying in person and then passing a physical and drug test then going to an orientation. The drop out rate is pretty huge. 10 people quit in my 1 4 days because it was too hard on them, physically too demanding, they miss there families, drillers a spazz, that sort of thing.
 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM         #135
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 rdogg11 said:
If I worked all year round, it works out to over 100 g's a year. My first day was good, crew was good. I got the job by just applying in person and then passing a physical and drug test then going to an orientation. The drop out rate is pretty huge. 10 people quit in my 1 4 days because it was too hard on them, physically too demanding, they miss there families, drillers a spazz, that sort of thing.
How many months a year you work out bro? Also I heard you need a university degree to get in or do you just need a high school education? How hard was the test and describe the elements in it? Math intensive? How physically demanding is it because sounds like its even more demanding then doing construction.

Lastly, you rent out a place with a fellow rig worker?

Sorry for all the questions.
 5 years ago '04        #136
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
 Darkdrone said:
How many months a year you work out bro? Also I heard you need a university degree to get in or do you just need a high school education? How hard was the test and describe the elements in it? Math intensive? How physically demanding is it because sounds like its even more demanding then doing construction.

It is more physically demanding than construction.

You don't have to have a college education.
 5 years ago '09        #137
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
 Darkdrone said:

I don't know what you mean about the first question? You don't even need a high school ticket, I know so because half the people on my crew never graduated high school. The test was easy and really had nothing to do with rigging. Just lifting like a hundred pounds. No math whatsoever. Its very physically demanding in that if you can run for a long period of time, you should be okay. Plus lots of heavy lifting. Yes it is more demanding then doing construction becauser there are no breaks at all. It's go go go until your cross shift shows up. You just keep a sandwhich in your pocket and take bites throughout the day.

What does your last question mean? Like on my days off or when Im on the rig?
 5 years ago '04        #138
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,477 | Props total: 6060 6060
 rdogg11 said:
I don't know what you mean about the first question? You don't even need a high school ticket, I know so because half the people on my crew never graduated high school. The test was easy and really had nothing to do with rigging. Just lifting like a hundred pounds. No math whatsoever. Its very physically demanding in that if you can run for a long period of time, you should be okay. Plus lots of heavy lifting. Yes it is more demanding then doing construction becauser there are no breaks at all. It's go go go until your cross shift shows up. You just keep a sandwhich in your pocket and take bites throughout the day.

easy bruh i used to lift hundred lbs of ammo a day. i jus cant wait to move to an area close to one so i can sign up asap
 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM         #139
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 rdogg11 said:

I mean do you guys get rides to the rig everyday or do you live on the facility?

Also do your work the full year or do you work up until winter?
 5 years ago '04        #140
datboy|e 18 heat pts18
space
space
$2,924 | Props total: 3004 3004
i work for Schlumberger, in a completions divsion. We dont drill or anything, the well is already drilled but we come in and run ~12,000 ft of pipe to extract the natural gas from below the groudn to the surface. I got hurt in august of 2012 havent worked since then, but i get 1600 every other friday. My salary per month is 4800, with a day rate of $175 when i do goto work.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
54 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Jump reveals Beerus, Hit and Goku Black as playable characters for Dragon Ball..
39 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy