DaOmega_1's review of "Drive"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
204 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
88 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
250 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
142 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
8006 pageviews
218 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,835 | Props total: 4102 4102
DaOmega_1's review of "Drive"

Summary for those who need it: Easily the best film I've seen all year. I'd honestly be (pleasantly) surprised if anything released later is better than this.
To be honest, I gotta say... I envy y'all. I completely envy all of y'all who will go watch this movie, and end up absolutely shocked as to where it goes in its story and plot. The movie lures you into its own rhythm. You get used to that rhythm. And then, around the half way mark, it COMPLETELY shifts gears into an entirely different type of movie... So much so, that the 2nd half of this film makes the entire first half BETTER. Even though the first half is a patient first half that takes time to build the character and the story, it's never boring. But, the 2nd half completely validates and improves upon the first half.

I know this won't seem like much of a review to go on, but this film is f*cking badass. The movie oozes infinite coolness from the very opening titles to the end credits. The movie is its own beast. It has a distinctly retro feel, from the editing, to the action sequences, to just the set design and cinematography. But, the best thing about this near-masterpiece of a motion picture is that IT'S SMART.

It never talks down to the audience. So many movies like this would pound us in the head with worthless and meaningless exposition, telling us (the audience) things that we already know. But, they don't do that here. The storytelling is JUST SO good. The acting, for most of the first half, does the storytelling. From looks that the actors exchange, to subtle body language. They let these actors actually act. And that, in conjunction with the immaculate cinematography, makes this movie so hypnotic even when action sequences aren't going down.

So, I'm gonna tell you a little bit about the plot. And, I say a little bit, because the less you know going into this movie, the better. We follow the story of a stuntman (Ryan Gosling) who does stunts for films by day, works in a garage with his mentor and former stuntman Shannon (Bryan Cranston). But, by night, he moonlights as a driver for heists. A loner by nature, he strikes up an innocent and strong bond with a single mother (Carey Mulligan) who lives down the hall from him. But, when her husband returns from prison.....

Yeah... That's all I'm gonna give you. So much of why this movie works is the things you don't know. In fact, I'd advise NONE of you to watch the trailer, or the TV spots. Go into this movie completely fresh, and be shocked at what happens.

This entire cast is SO good. Look who we have in this movie. We have Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks, Albert Brooks, Ron Perlman. While everyone is good in this film, the one guy that stands out the most is Albert Brooks as the main villain... But, what is SO good is that we see him as not a one-dimensional villain. Here's a guy who was a film producer for indie movies, and now he's a ruthless criminal hardened by life. My friend was saying this as we were walking out, that HE IS SCARY. Not because he is a mustache twirling bad guy. No... It's because he's a SMART bad guy. He's never not in control, and we always understand his motives... And, Albert Brooks plays him SO F*CKING GOOD... Jesus Christ... Performances like his are what Oscars are made of.

That is not to discount any of the other actors either. Ryan Gosling is effective, he plays it quietly. But, we can see an intensity in him that explodes in the 2nd half of the film. Ron Perlman is ALWAYS good. So is Carey Mulligan and Bryan Cranston. Christina Hendricks is really good in her brief but all important role in the film. Another actor in the mix is Oscar Isaac as the husband of Carey Mulligan's character. If there was one character I expected the filmmakers to ruin, it was that one. But, they totally don't. In a lesser movie, they'd have that character be unlikable, and douchey towards his wife. But, no... They actually write him as a human being. He is never not a decent guy. He's a dude caught up in a bad situation because of bad past decisions. In fact, all of these characters could've been one-dimensional, but they give us so many layers, that its hard to not get caught up in it all.

But, man...... This movie goes from a good movie into an absolutely great one once the 2nd half kicks in. It settles you into a rhythm... This rhythm of a quiet love story set amongst steadily rising tension. BUT, when things get real, it GETS REAL. In fact, during the big turn, the whole entire audience jumped in their seats, And then, it gets even more unbearably intense as the movie goes on. The tension just rises and rises until you just can't take it anymore.

And, that is because, throughout this entire movie, it's so well shot and well edited. Even the sound design is awesome. There are scenes that linger on shots... And just let us sit with them, and its unnerving. Plus, this movie is bloody as f*ck. It never cuts away. It genuinely surprises you with how ballsy some of these action scenes are. In fact, there is one scene that takes place in an elevator involving the Driver, Carey Mulligan, and another person that pretty much left my jaw dropped to the ground a good five minutes after it happened. The movie continually kept blowing me away.

It's artful, intelligent, and stylish. But, (and this is key) it's NEVER pretentious... ever. It never feels like the director is saying "hey! look how smart I am about this!"... He trusts the audience, and lets us draw our own conclusions. No surprise either. This is from director Nicolas Winding Refn. He's, of course, know for Bronson, Vahalla Rising, and the Pusher trilogy. After this film, he should definitely be on everyone's radar from now on.

It sounds like I'm gushing about this movie... To be honest, I am. Because, I love this movie so much. Which begs the question... Are there any flaws with it? That's a good question. The only conceivable nitpicky flaw I could possibly have with this movie is that the plot itself isn't too terribly original. However, the originality in how it approached this story, and how things happen is so unique, that I can easily forgive it.

This movie is so close to getting my top score. And, if I did give it my top score, it'll be the first (and likely only) movie I give a 10 this year. But, I have to sit with this movie... I gotta think about it. So, lets just say this for now. "Drive" is the absolute best film I've seen all year, and it ain't even close. Nothing released thus far beats this movie. It is stylish, relentlessly brutal, almost unbearably intense, yet just beautifully crafted, curiously patient, and seriously touching.

Go see this movie at your earliest convenience in the theater at full price. Films like these are the reason why I love movies.

Score: 9.5 (out of 10) = HELLA DOPE

UPDATE: As I've thought about this film... I'd be lying to myself if I didn't give it the real score it deserves...

Score: 10 (out of 10) = PURE DOPENESS

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 09-09-2011 at 09:31 AM..

218 comments for "DaOmega_1's review of "Drive""

6 years ago '10        #2
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,883 | Props total: 20932 20932
:hmm: I guess I am gonna see this on my birthday I was contemplating but I'll check it out.
 6 years ago '06        #3
SM 38173 heat pts38173
space
space
$127,936 | Props total: 67337 67337
:applause:
 6 years ago '04        #4
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,872 | Props total: 1907 1907
 Agentzer0oo0 said:
:hmm: I guess I am gonna see this on my birthday I was contemplating but I'll check it out.
I'm going this weekend too. And happy b day fam. I'm a 9/11/82 baby myself.

Virgos
 6 years ago '05        #5
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 matelyan said:

Virgos
It doesn't come out until next friday, I think.
 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM         #6
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
There hasn't been a Armond White article for three weeks. I'm worried.

back to topic. Looks like Running Scared but with a car.
 6 years ago '05        #7
space
space
 youknowmystelo said:
There hasn't been a Armond White article for three weeks. I'm worried.

back to topic. Looks like Running Scared but with a car.
It's not.
 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM         #8
Sid 6point7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I saw the preview for this before Dont be Afraid of the Dark.

A preview hasn't hyped me up this much for a movie since I can't even remember. Looks so fu*king dope. Can't fu*kn' wait to see this...
 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM         #9
Sid 6point7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
to each their own... i suppose...
 6 years ago '10        #10
space
space
 matelyan said:

Virgos
Good looks on that homie & I'll be wishing you that on 9/11.
 6 years ago '09        #11
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,303 | Props total: 7956 7956
damn......it looked like an average movie

but you said its the best movie you seen all year????

i find that hard to fukkin believe

matter of fact im gonna stop reading because i know your gonna hype this sh*t the fukk up and even if it turns out to be an above average movie im gonna feel cheated

one thing i hate about boxden, how n*ggas gas films up

im not saying your gassing it.....sh*t you might be right......but hey you thought jennifer's body was a great movie
 6 years ago '05        #12
space
space
 Jacc Blacc said:
damn......it looked like an average movie

but you said its the best movie you seen all year????

i find that hard to fukkin believe

matter of fact im gonna stop reading because i know your gonna hype this sh*t the fukk up and even if it turns out to be an above average movie im gonna feel cheated

one thing i hate about boxden, how n*ggas gas films up

im not saying your gassing it.....sh*t you might be right......but hey you thought jennifer's body was a great movie
Wrong. I thought it was just okay, and not the worst thing I saw all year. Y'all are the ones who seem to think I love it when I don't.

And, about overhyping things... Look. This is my reaction to the film. Take it as just that. If you find it overhyped, that's your fault. I did my job, which was just expressing my opinion on it.

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 09-08-2011 at 05:22 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #13
space
space
And, for those who think I'm overhyping it, here's proof that I am not alone in my opinion:

Buckle up for the existential bloodbath of Drive, a brilliant piece of nasty business that races on a B-movie track until it switches to the dizzying fuel of undiluted creativity. Damn, it's good. You can get buzzed just from the fumes coming off this wild thing.

4 (out of 4 stars)

Blending a c*cktail of noir and action with a pinch of romance to deliver a violent and hopeful film with enormous appeal.

4.5 (out of 5 stars)

s3xy, violent, and stylized like you can’t believe, “Drive” is a big-screen movie that oozes charisma and pops with brutality. Yum.

5 (out of 5 stars)
 6 years ago '07        #14
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,785 | Props total: 14593 14593
 Michael 1987 said:
It looked dumb when i saw the trailer.
I thought it was just be a regular action flick. The reviews its getting are good though which surprised me. I'll go see it sometime.
 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM         #15
DOOMage 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Could have gone to an advance screening tonight but unfortunately I'm locked into a poker tournament

I've only heard good and amazing things about it, can't wait
 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM         #16
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Omega always getting harassed now a days. Its funny because hes the only person on this site who puts out thoughtful reviews and gets to see them in-advance, and i think it safe to say he shares the type of taste of as y'all in movies. See what the spoiled internet does to some.

Last edited by youknowmystelo; 09-08-2011 at 06:52 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #17
space
space
 youknowmystelo said:
Omega always getting harassed now a days. Its funny because hes the only person on this site who puts out thoughtful reviews and gets to see them in-advance, and i think it safe to say he shares the type of taste of as y'all in movies. See what the spoiled internet does to some.

If Omega stops posting his reviews I will shed a tear.

So serious
 6 years ago '04        #18
rashad0715 76 heat pts76
space
space
$10,403 | Props total: 212 212
Great review. Ryan Gosling is k!lling it right now. Although Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy will be one of the few films released later this year that can top this.
 6 years ago '09        #19
29 26 6 heat pts
space
space
$11,181 | Props total: 2578 2578
The trailer looked awesome, definitely gonna check this one out... thought it was coming out this friday but it will be next. Now I might have to settle for that Warrior movie, any word on that yet?
 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM         #20
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 rashad0715 said:
Great review. Ryan Gosling is k!lling it right now. Although Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy will be one of the few films released later this year that can top this.

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
61 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
71 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
45 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
55 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
145 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
80 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
42 comments
19 hours ago