Panthers Owner To Cam Newton: No Tattoos, No Piercings

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
86 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
116 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
89 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
8127 pageviews
183 comments

SM 38189 heat pts38189
space
space
$127,972 | Props total: 67557 67557
Panthers Owner To Cam Newton: No Tattoos, No Piercings

Appearing as guests on PBS’s Charlie Rose (thanks for the head’s up, SportsBusiness Daily), Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson talked about a variety of issues. I’ll be posting some of the most interesting aspects of their discussion right here.

The first one relates to the pre-draft meeting between Richardson and quarterback Cam Newton. Though the topic was addressed by Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer in April, it’s worth repeating.

Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt. “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose. “He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’ He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”

Interjected the host: “You sound like a Lombardi.”

Said Richardson, “No, I just sound reasonable to me.”

The fact is that, over the years, Richardson has drafted and signed plenty of players who have tattoos and piercings, including tight end Jeremy Shockey. Apparently, Richardson is willing to tolerate those things when it comes to men who won’t become the face of the franchise. For someone like Newton, whom Richardson said has “athletic ability unlike anything that I have seen in quite a few years,” Richardson presumably wants him to do nothing that would potentially alienate the mainstream paying customers.

Regardless of the motivation, there’s something troubling about Richardson’s position. Though Newton can’t be disciplined for getting a tattoo or a piercing or multiple of either, Richardson has made his wishes clear — and he’d likely be unhappy if Newton defies them.

But Richardson isn’t Newton’s father. Newton is a grown man, and he can do whatever he wants by way of decorating his body with ink or ice, or by growing his hair as long as he pleases. The notion that teams would try to make players into non-threatening billboards seems more than a little heavy-handed, even if it’s done in the name of “growing the pie” to the benefit of teams and players alike.

[pic - click to view]

Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no piercings | ProFootballTalk

183 comments for "Panthers Owner To Cam Newton: No Tattoos, No Piercings"

6 years ago '10        #2
peeyump 15 heat pts15
space
space
$21,112 | Props total: 1271 1271
if he doesnt have tats by now he probably doesnt plan on getting any.
 6 years ago '07        #3
shaans27 18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,752 | Props total: 102 102
Didn't see this...
 6 years ago '04        #4
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
$18,699 | Props total: 15525 15525
ol conservative a.ss motherfu*ka
 6 years ago '11        #5
tonio25 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,441 | Props total: 5616 5616
"Yeah and were gonna need you to bleach your skin too Cameron"
 6 years ago '07        #6
dionedre3000 
space
space
$8,972 | Props total: 791 791
You know me personally I think people should be decent about there appereance and what not but too me a tattoo and earrings don't define a player on that field. Aslong as a player stays out of trouble and more or less comes to work and does his job then it's all good. Atleast it should be.
 6 years ago '04        #7
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
it's all about the appearance to the public because he's their franchise quarterback. they don't want no thug
 6 years ago '04        #8
HotBYoungTurk 13 heat pts13
space
space
$11,720 | Props total: 2018 2018
F*ckin' Slave driver pickin' out his slave.... they have no right to tell him what he can do to his body. I don't have any tats or piercings either, but i be damn.. if i want one, aint nobody gonna stop me from getting it..

Pic-a-n*gga a$$ owner...
 6 years ago '04        #9
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
That last part of the article about appealing to the "mainstream paying customers" sounded like "we don't want white people to think you're a thug".
 6 years ago '11        #10
tonio25 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,441 | Props total: 5616 5616
Tattoo's and earrings make you a thug?
 6 years ago '07        #11
dionedre3000 
space
space
$8,972 | Props total: 791 791
 refuze said:
it's all about the appearance to the public because he's their franchise quarterback. they don't want no thug
Not towards you but since when does a tattoo and earrings define a thug?
 6 years ago '06        #12
backtrack 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,765 | Props total: 451 451
That sh*t is overkill.
 6 years ago '05        #13
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,883 | Props total: 8404 8404
 dionedre3000 said:
Not towards you but since when does a tattoo and earrings define a thug?
to businessmen...for quite sometime now
 6 years ago '04        #14
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
these NFL executives are all about the money and public appearance. when you got millions of fans supporting your team, they want their players to look as socially acceptable as possible. not saying i agree with it but i understand the points they're trying to make. cam newton is a fresh start for that franchise and his public image is extremely important.
 6 years ago '04        #15
HotBYoungTurk 13 heat pts13
space
space
$11,720 | Props total: 2018 2018
in regards to the tattoo situation..

Tattoos don't make u a thug... now there are certain instances that some tattoos are inappropriate.. ie on the neck, hand, face, where they cannot be covered up.. but to say NO tattoos at all is over the top.. I'm sure he just doesn't want to see them, but he sure as hell didn't word it that way according to the report.

piercings.. anybody can get those..Not thuggish though, unless u got some 1 inch wide earring on ur ear thats cliffhanging on ur ear just to stay on. to me it's a lil feminine though.. why u feel the need to accessorize to make u think u look better? that's my take on it.

and what the hell.. this is carolina.. they aint makin no money like that..
 6 years ago '06        #16
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
sh*t ain't alright. fu*k these people who set the these "standards" of being socially acceptable in today's society.

Tattoos, body piercings, hair styles have been apart of the worlds culture for THOUSANDS of years. That sh*t represented manhood, a right of passage, or symbols of honor and bravery for many. How dare these narrow minded individuals try and suppress these types of expressions.

Ain't nothing new under the sun. Black folks been black folks since the beginnings of time. fu*k whoever fear us because we don't look, act, and dress like them.

Do you and be you Cam. Open these hater's minds.
 6 years ago '07        #17
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
fu*k outta here..i wish my boss would tell me some sh*t like that
 6 years ago '05        #18
Lil Jay 05 19 heat pts19
space
space
$8,688 | Props total: 515 515
Random Thought here, but what if this owner owned a basketball team and LeBron James was his franchise player. Would he tell him the same thing?
 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM         #19
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol he want him a good ol clean cut house negro and cam say yes sir like a sucker....his contract is already signed...
 6 years ago '08        #20
AC_89 200 heat pts200
space
space
$39,289 | Props total: 13666 13666
Thats borderline cism
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
98 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
64 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy