J Cole's Album Cover Art for Cole Word : The Sideline Story

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
166 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
47 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-22-2011, 09:40 AM         #101
Powerager  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CuZzA said:
A subtle placement of a Cross on an album cover for an artist signed by Jay-Z.

Illuminati.
 6 years ago '08        #102
I.J. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,360 | Props total: 618 618
Damn even his cover makes me tired

Cole still my dude though!
 6 years ago '09        #103
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,273 | Props total: 19382 19382
This album and Big Krit album is automatic coppin after all the ill free music imma support dope artist
 6 years ago '10        #104
rdrake 28 heat pts28
space
space
$7,324 | Props total: 424 424
dudes have to do better on their first album covers....
 6 years ago '05        #105
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,197 | Props total: 11805 11805
 Left Hook said:
I'm duckin' before I have to pay my student loans
U must be about to fake your own death. That's the only way you'll get away

And to all yall saying he look sad. If the n*gga was cheesing yall wud make fun of that too
 6 years ago '05        #106
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,335 | Props total: 1694 1694
 THEINFAMOUS said:
U must be about to fake your own death. That's the only way you'll get away

And to all yall saying he look sad. If the n*gga was cheesing yall wud make fun of that too
I'm 'bout to abscond my passport and move to the Bahamas
 6 years ago '09        #107
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,100 | Props total: 1836 1836
I don't know why people try to act like album artwork isn't a big deal these days. With all of the resources avaliable, there should be no reason for your sh*t to look anything below GREAT. It's just the principle plus the notion that you take pride into your project as a WHOLE from top to bottom.

Anyways, back to the OP. Like somebody said, not bad, not great. It'll do.
 6 years ago '05        #108
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
 Section80 said:
I don't know why people try to act like album artwork isn't a big deal these days. With all of the resources avaliable, there should be no reason for your sh*t to look anything below GREAT. It's just the principle plus the notion that you take pride into your project as a WHOLE from top to bottom.

Anyways, back to the OP. Like somebody said, not bad, not great. It'll do.
Finally, people understand what I was saying

Cole isn't a designer, he needs people to do the work for him, and if those designers suck at their job - and judging by the cover, they do - then they should really up their game. This just doesn't scream out "hey look, this cover's meaningful and it represents who I am, where I'm from and what this project is about!" It says "hey, it's me, J. Cole, and uh, I'm a bit tired."

I'm mad cause I know Cole can do better.
 6 years ago '09        #109
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
its honestly one of the most plain album covers i've ever seen... that cover is a single cover at best... it should be the cover for WHO DAT
lol naa a cover that was disappointing was the thank me later cover
 6 years ago '04        #110
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6515 6515
 Left Hook said:
Finally, people understand what I was saying

Cole isn't a designer, he needs people to do the work for him, and if those designers suck at their job - and judging by the cover, they do - then they should really up their game. This just doesn't scream out "hey look, this cover's meaningful and it represents who I am, where I'm from and what this project is about!" It says "hey, it's me, J. Cole, and uh, I'm a bit tired."

I'm mad cause I know Cole can do better.
whoever is picking the cover the designers do (a&r,j.cole, even jay-z himself) suck at their job

rap music most of the time have basic covers
 6 years ago '09        #111
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
at least it had some photoshop effects on it.... and Drake is such a household name, he could make an album cover of only his face and it would sell and get noticed.... jcole aint on that level yet..

jcoles cover is about as plain as jay-z bp2.... but at least that sh*t had 2 discs and a sh*tload of collaborations

[pic - click to view]

Idk i just think the music is the most important thing...i think the cover fits the theme/concept he is going for so i have no problem with it i think it was better than the other one with the basketball on it thought that was corny...i don't even remember the last time i was excited looking at album cover anyways lol
 6 years ago '05        #112
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
 justinjones said:
whoever is picking the cover the designers do (a&r,j.cole, even jay-z himself) suck at their job

rap music most of the time have basic covers
Exactly, and since Cole doesn't *want* a "basic, run of the mill" project, shouldn't he strive for something more? When I look at the cover, I'm like "meh." It doesn't speak to me, the viewer, at all.

If it was an album cover then I wouldn't really care, but seeing as this is his "epic debut" (just paraphrasing Cole and his fanbase), shouldn't the artwork speak for the music? The artistry should be incorporated into the artwork just as it was into the music itself.

Many people won't care what the cover looks like, but many other people, who could be on the fence, probably would like a cover that implies narrative, rather than nothing at all. This cover just doesn't do anything, IMO. It's J. Cole. Sitting on a bench. That's it.

It's like they took the most literal meaning out of "Cole World: The Sideline Story" and made it into a cover. It's J. Cole, sitting on a bench, thinking of his stories from the sidelines. Hooray... I guess?
 6 years ago '10        #113
Marcus Aurelius 49 heat pts49
space
space
$7,900 | Props total: 3973 3973
 Left Hook said:
One less hater buying the album. Cool
I'm a hater yet you're on the next page being critical of the typography? I've totally removed hater from my vocabulary because yall ran that sh*t into the ground.

like I said, I'm anticipating the album but I won't be buying it if this is the cover. Why, when I can download music digitally, would I buy an album if I don't like the album art? Like someone else mentioned, these artists have all the resources to do something new, cool, interesting, etc on the cover. Instead you just take a picture of yourself slouched on a bench in a locker room and do some light photoshop? I can appreciate a minimalistic approach when it's well executed but this is not.
 6 years ago '04        #114
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
I've never seen a 7+ page scrutiny of an artist's album cover before. Y'all on some next sh-t. It's just a cover... relax.

The album cover is just that... an album cover. Not a mixtape cover. The goal is to clearly show the artist's face, name, and album title. Mission accomplished. If you're basing the actual album on the cover, you need to reevaluate your taste in music.
 6 years ago '06        #115
Jhnnyblz427 175 heat pts175
space
space
$35,318 | Props total: 18255 18255
 RYLNYC said:
I've never seen a 7+ page scrutiny of an artist's album cover before. Y'all on some next sh-t. It's just a cover... relax.

The album cover is just that... an album cover. Not a mixtape cover. The goal is to clearly show the artist's face, name, and album title. Mission accomplished. If you're basing the actual album on the cover, you need to reevaluate your taste in music.
this.. thread
 6 years ago '11        #116
spittapilottalk 44 heat pts44
space
space
$7,054 | Props total: 2 2
yo..if a cover is getting this discussed can you imagine the album? dude's are going to complain more than WTT and I seen people call the album garbage because they didn't like an interlude played at the end of the song like 3 times.
 6 years ago '04        #117
young $ 2 heat pts
space
space
$659 | Props total: 11 11
This is so funny, people complaining about a album cover lol... I never see the album cover when I play the music in my car. Please give me some examples of a great album cover so I can see what you guys are looking for.
 6 years ago '11        #118
King Henry 548 heat pts548
space
space
$43,972 | Props total: 9973 9973
 super vILLain said:
I'm a hater yet you're on the next page being critical of the typography? I've totally removed hater from my vocabulary because yall ran that sh*t into the ground.

like I said, I'm anticipating the album but I won't be buying it if this is the cover. Why, when I can download music digitally, would I buy an album if I don't like the album art? Like someone else mentioned, these artists have all the resources to do something new, cool, interesting, etc on the cover. Instead you just take a picture of yourself slouched on a bench in a locker room and do some light photoshop? I can appreciate a minimalistic approach when it's well executed but this is not.

So if an album had the best music in decades, but a sucky album cover you wouldn't buy it? Ok. In my opinion, I think it's dope. Sticks to his basketball theme, with him sitting on a bench with his letterman in the locker room. I've never seen a n*gga get so much flack for an album cover.
 6 years ago '08        #119
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,773 | Props total: 12275 12275
Karolina Stand up
 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM         #120
TheMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mike Nitty said:
Karolina Stand up
Carolina
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
101 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
185 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside NBA2K18 Is Removing User Made Content From The Game
45 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy