most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
6118 pageviews
178 comments

Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,612 | Props total: 921 921
At just 23 years old, Josh Freeman on the verge of elite

Bucs' Josh Freeman on verge of being an elite quarterback

[pic - click to view]

Patience is a virtue but even virtues have their limits.

When the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made Josh Freeman their No. 1 pick in 2009, they decided to bring him along slowly.

"That was the plan," says Bucs general manager Mark Dominik.

Good plan. Workable. Sound. But when the Bucs' record skidded to 0-7, time ran out on patience. Freeman needed to play and the Bucs needed him to play.

Face it, '09 wasn't going to be the Bucs' year. They'd fired general manager Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden, brought in Domenik and promoted Raheem Morris to head coach. Even then the changes continued.

"We fired the defensive coordinator and the offensive coordinator and we didn't get it together until the end of the year," Freeman says. Continuity going forward into 2010, he says, "made us really feel like 'We have the opportunity to play with anybody and beat anybody.' "

That's very much the way it unfolded and Freeman played no small part in the Bucs' resurgence. Remember that 0-7 opening in '09? The Bucs won three of nine games that Freeman started and began to find the essence of their personality. In 2010, Freeman blossomed and so did the Bucs, going 10-6 and just missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Freeman exceeded all expectations. He passed for 3,451 yards and threw 25 touchdown passes and only six interceptions. The TD-INT ratio was second best in the NFL to that of New England's Tom Brady (36-5) and the six interceptions tied a Bucs' franchise low for a starting quarterback.

For fantasy football aficionados, Freeman brought something else to the table — a strong finish. Over the final seven games, he threw 13 of his touchdown passes and only one interception. At a time when fantasy football leagues are segueing into the playoffs, Freeman picked up his game. His passer rating from Week 11 through the end of the season: 103.6.

"It's always difficult to see another young, challenging quarterback develop right before your eyes in your division," says New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton. "Now it's Josh Freeman."

In many ways Freeman represents the prototype of the next generation at his position. At 6-6, 248, he has the size of a tight end but can escape the pocket and run like a back. He rushed for 364 yards last season, trailing only Philadelphia's Michael Vick among quarterbacks.

He could be well-positioned for big fantasy football numbers again. In the NFC South, Atlanta ranked 22nd in pass defense and New Orleans, while fourth, only came away with nine interceptions. Carolina was more susceptible to the run and has a new coaching staff this season. Freeman and the Bucs can take advantage of all of that in their division games.

He was the third quarterback taken in the '09 draft and is arguably the one with the best statistics since then. Detroit's Matthew Stafford has been out more than he has been healthy and Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets, while having gone twice to the AFC championship game, is more the caboose than the engine of that train. Freeman turned his team around.

Size, speed, general pocket awareness, an ability to extend plays and make them on the move. Perfect for fantasy football. Perfect for real football.

"The ability to make people miss as a quarterback is critical," says San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh.

There's another aspect to Freeman, though. He plans his work and works his plan. He studies, puts in extra time, and inspires his teammates to do the same.

"He prepares like a coach," Morris says. "It's definitely showing up."

In the lockout of 2011, it was Freeman who organized in late June a three-day minicamp for players that featured two-a-day workouts.

"We didn't come out here to sit around and look pretty," he says. "We came out here to get some work in."

Improvement is a journey for Freeman, not a destination.

"When you get good, it's not a time to relax. It's a time to move forward and see what your limitations are. I'm going to keep going," he says.

The players were not allowed any contact with coaches but Freeman brought the playbook that he had kept from the previous season. He wants to get somewhere in this game and he knows he can get the team to follow.

"My job as a leader is not to say, 'Hey, look at me, I'm a leader.' It's to lead," says Freeman, whose father Ron played in the USFL in the 1980s. "There's a lot of different ways you can lead."

Start with 'by example.' That's the way Freeman did it, in his very first start. The '09 Bucs, stumbling along at 0-7, came out of their bye week with a new look, that being Freeman at quarterback. He threw three touchdown passes, each to a different receiver and two in the fourth quarter, to lead a comeback from 11 points down and turn that seeming defeat into a 38-28 triumph over Green Bay at Raymond James Stadium.

"When he goes out there," Morris says, "you have to feel that you have a chance to win, you have the ability to win."

Freeman remained the starter and posted a record of 3-6, throwing 10 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. Then the Bucs added some fresh offensive talent in the 2010 draft, handing him receiver Mike Williams and running back LeGarrette Blount and Freeman, as anticipated, worked overtime in the offseason learning the system and his teammates.

He's got the will and the skill. Dominik can't forget receiving a text at the Super Bowl from Freeman, who simply said he was sick not to be playing in a game of this magnitude and wanted Dominik to know it was a priority for him to do so.

"I think there's a lot on his shoulders," Dominik says. "I think that's why with some quarterbacks, people go, 'How could that guy not make it?' Because of the expectations can be such a heavy burden. What makes Josh special is … that nothing is too high or too low and that's how he handles it."

FREEMAN FACTS

•Consistency: Freeman threw at least one touchdown pass in 15 of 16 games. He never, however, passed for more than 300 yards in a game.

•Supporting cast: Receiver Mike Williams played very well as a rookie, catching 65 passes for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns. Arrelious Benn tore knee ligaments in Week 16 but the team is hopeful he'll be ready to go in Week 1. LeGarrette Blount supplies the power on the ground. The offensive line has to improve and Blount's blitz pickup does too. Tight end Kellen Winslow may be critical to Freeman's success. He led the team in receptions with 66 and was second with five touchdown catches but he is not seen as a player on the ascending side of the curve.

•Opportunities: The Bucs aren't a pass-first team and probably won't be. They're comfortable with Freeman tucking and running rather than forcing a throw. They had a pass-run ratio of 53-47%, putting them in the bottom quartile of the NFL. That doesn't mean Freeman can't succeed as a quarterback, but his team's style may be a liability in terms of his chances to put all-world fantasy points. The Bucs rushed for only nine touchdowns. If they're more productive in the red zone with their backs, they'll reduce Freeman's shots at the end zone.

Gotta respec' it image

[pic - click to view]

Bucs' Josh Freeman on verge of being an elite quarterback - USATODAY.com

Last edited by Jayceon; 08-16-2011 at 05:49 PM..

178 comments for "At just 23 years old, Josh Freeman on the verge of elite"

6 years ago '09        #2
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$49,191 | Props total: 22659 22659
i hope him and his coach does well
 6 years ago '07        #3
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
:sad5::scared2:
 6 years ago '05        #4
ThiZZ 157 heat pts157
space
space
$12,426 | Props total: 5 5
elite? are u fu*king serious right now
 6 years ago '09        #5
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$49,191 | Props total: 22659 22659
 ThiZZ said:
elite? are u fu*king serious right now
i'd take em over any qb listed on the 49ers roster
 6 years ago '09        #6
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,134 | Props total: 170 170

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by CutKidd21; 08-16-2011 at 06:10 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #7
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
 TriniSoldier said:
i'd take em over any qb listed on the 49ers roster
ether
 6 years ago '08        #8
AC_89 200 heat pts200
space
space
$39,341 | Props total: 13717 13717
 WiLL i AM said:
i wish we drafted him

dude is a problem

yeah im mad
Sanchize>>>>>>>
 6 years ago '08        #9
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,743 | Props total: 11629 11629
I co-sign the Freeman movement
 6 years ago '07        #10
shaans27 18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,752 | Props total: 102 102
Freeman is nice. I think he's on the verge. 2nd best QB is the NFC South...

#ShotsFired
 6 years ago '07        #11
Jayceon 492 heat pts492 OP
space
space
all these n*ggas sayin "Sanchize". Jesus just called and he said

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Jayceon; 08-16-2011 at 06:18 PM..
 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM         #12
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gattsau said:
The sanchize is not amused.
Sanchez wish he had the 2nd yr numbers Freeman had. It's not even an argument. Freeman > Sanchez. But it's a team sport, and Sanchez's 'team' makes up for his mistakes. Freeman barely made mistakes his 2nd yr.
 6 years ago '09        #13
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,134 | Props total: 170 170
 shaans27 said:

#ShotsFired

Mike Vick is falcons trash
 6 years ago '07        #14
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
Josh Freeman is my favorite young QB in the league I think he's better than all of the under 26 QB's and a year or two away from Elite status
 6 years ago '10        #15
SoulOnIce 67 heat pts67
space
space
space
$13,784 | Props total: 982 982
Freeman can play.

He will be alot better this year.
 6 years ago '07        #16
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Gattsau said:
Sanchize doesnt lose big games for the jets.

We don't know how freeman would do in those big pressure situations.

Until he shows that he can raise his game in the playoffs you cant say hes better.

One things for sure though, they are both better than Henne who can't even play good in the preseason
Did you see Josh down the stretch last year??? The n*gga won games don't be a troll keep it 100

Freeman > Sanchez
 6 years ago '07        #17
Jayceon 492 heat pts492 OP
space
space
 Gattsau said:

pressure?

how many fourth quarter comebacks this guy got. didn't he set a record or some sh*t?

n*gga do you even watch the NFL?
 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM         #18
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gattsau said:
Sanchize doesnt lose big games for the jets.

Until he shows that he can raise his game in the playoffs you cant say hes better.

One things for sure though, they are both better than Henne who can't even play good in the preseason
Until his defense doesn't carry him to playoffs I can't say Sanchez is good.

The thread is about Freeman. Someone brings up Sanchez. Now you bring up Henne. If Henne is so bad what kind of comparison are you trying to make? I know Henne is bad i've admitted it. You're running out of things to say seriously. I'm syaing the things you use as your arguments and you got nothin. Log off and go onto the other computer.
 6 years ago '11        #19
Loso Luciano24 227 heat pts227
space
space
$14,486 | Props total: 8380 8380
 shaans27 said:

#ShotsFired

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #20
DurtySoufReppin 76 heat pts76
space
space
$7,718 | Props total: 14 14
Locker > Sanchez
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
84 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
88 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
54 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
83 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy