Cris Carter: Calvin Johnson is great in video games, not in real football

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Breakfast Club interviews Lavar Ball & Sons On Family Business, Discipline..
80 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM         #1
7015 pageviews
106 comments

ajeana 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 12, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
APEight-time Pro Bowl receiver Cris Carter was asked on ESPN Radio this morning to list the elite wide receivers in the NFL. Lions receiver Calvin Johnson did not make his list.

Instead, Carter said, the top receivers in football are Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson and Roddy White.

“Calvin Johnson, he’s very, very good at Madden and Tecmo Bowl or whatever they’re playing now,” Carter said. “But on film, when I watch film, and I break down the film, he’s not to the point of these guys yet.”

ESPN Radio’s Mike Greenberg pointed out that Johnson has played with lousy quarterbacks, but Carter wasn’t buying it.

“I made eight Pro Bowls,” Carter said. “I made it with five different quarterbacks. They weren’t always great. So I don’t want to hear the excuse that I’m not playing with a great quarterback.”

Frankly, for Carter to compare the quarterbacks he played with to the quarterbacks Johnson has been saddled with is absurd. In Carter’s best years he was catching passes from Jim McMahon, Sean Salisbury, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George and a prime Daunte Culpepper. Johnson has caught passes from Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Matthew Stafford, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton and a past-his-prime Culpepper. Carter’s quarterbacks were far better than Johnson’s.

Carter also downgraded Johnson, he said, because “right now you don’t have to double team him to take him out of the game.” But Tom Kowalski writes at MLive.com that opposing defenses don’t seem to think that’s true: Even with Charles Woodson and Darrelle Revis, the Packers and Jets doubled Johnson last season.

I’m not going to go so far as to say that Carter is simply wrong with his a.ssessment of who the elite receivers in the NFL are, since judging the greatness of a wide receiver is a subjective exercise — as Carter himself has found out when getting passed over for the Hall of Fame. But I will say that Carter’s analysis was weak. Johnson has been held back by the quarterbacks he’s played with, and he hasn’t been shut down by single coverage. And he’s great in more than just video games.

[pic - click to view]

Cris Carter: Calvin Johnson is great in video games, not in real football | ProFootballTalk

106 comments for "Cris Carter: Calvin Johnson is great in video games, not in real football"

6 years ago '04        #2
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
$18,669 | Props total: 3252 3252
cris carter is a hater, what else is new??
 6 years ago '05        #3
firehandles 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,230 | Props total: 1226 1226
desean>>>>calvin???

6 years ago '05        #4
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,706 | Props total: 6937 6937
Damn Cris my n*gga but the hate is strong
 6 years ago '07        #5
st21 1237 heat pts1237
space
space
$55,479 | Props total: 43524 43524
gtfo out chris carter with your old a.ss.

megatron already > chris carter
 6 years ago '07        #6
st21 1237 heat pts1237
space
space
$55,479 | Props total: 43524 43524
 ST21 said:
gtfo out chris carter with your old a.ss.

megatron already > chris carter

firehandles said:
desean>>>>calvin???

what?

pass that.
 6 years ago '04        #7
T_Buck 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 0 0
First he says TO's not in the top 10 all-time, now Megatron's not in the top 6 right now? Dude was a great receiver, but he sucks as an analyst.
 6 years ago '09        #8
A2P89 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,488 | Props total: 54 54
jealousy took over his mind..
 6 years ago '04        #9
GollyI'mGully 69 heat pts69
space
space
$7,735 | Props total: 400 400
re-post
 6 years ago '06        #10
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,977 | Props total: 10637 10637
What the fu*k? Dude is a dumbass...johnson has consistently put upnumbers with multiple qbs (most sh*tty)...orvlosky, stafford,stantin,kitna,culpepper,hill...dude has done the most with the least then anybody else in the league
 6 years ago '05        #11
dahabi 90 heat pts90
space
space
$10,759 | Props total: 1240 1240
wow. as an eagles fan i can proudly say megatron is miles better than djax
 6 years ago '04        #12
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,891 | Props total: 2001 2001
If Stafford can stay healthy this year, Johnson could have a GREAT year.
 6 years ago '07        #13
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
 A2P89 said:
jealousy took over his mind..
what does he have to be jealous about?..it's not like he is the trent dilfer of wide receivers..he had a great career..calvin johnson would be lucky to have the numbers that he has
 6 years ago '04        #14
dre03 
space
space
$10,168 | Props total: 2448 2448

I guess you guys missed the part where his analysis was based on film??? Not numbers

He said when he watches him on film he isnt on the level of these guys... He is a receiver so he understands routes better than most of us... Cris's judgment is based solely on precision route running and footwork and not athletic talent... Calvin Johnson does not run crisp routes... He just gets away with it because of his size and hands...

Majority of his routes the defender is in good coverage its just Calvin 7 times out of 10 will win any battle with any CB with the ball in the air... Its rare his route running gets him open alone... He commonly has to use his hands and size to get open... The players that Cris named all are great route runners and commonly get open because of their footwork deceiving the defender and getting open... All those receivers have made many CB's look silly with some of their deceptive footwork and fakes..
 6 years ago '04        #15
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
$18,669 | Props total: 3252 3252
 dre03 said:

I guess you guys missed the part where his analysis was based on film??? Not numbers

He said when he watches him on film he isnt on the level of these guys... He is a receiver so he understands routes better than most of us... Cris's judgment is based solely on precision route running and footwork and not athletic talent... Calvin Johnson does not run crisp routes... He just gets away with it because of his size and hands...

Majority of his routes the defender is in good coverage its just Calvin 7 times out of 10 will win any battle with any CB with the ball in the air... Its rare his route running gets him open alone... He commonly has to use his hands and size to get open... The players that Cris named all are great route runners and commonly get open because of their footwork deceiving the defender and getting open... All those receivers have made many CB's look silly with some of their deceptive footwork and fakes..
desean jackson is not a good route runner
 6 years ago '05        #16
firehandles 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,230 | Props total: 1226 1226
 chctynig2804 said:
yeah what.....u eva seen desean run a curl.....
 6 years ago '11        #17
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,520 | Props total: 39 39
idgaf if Megatron cant run routes, all I know is if u throw the ball near him, he will catch it
 6 years ago '05        #18
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
 chctynig2804 said:
That n*gga has one fu*king route man
 08-13-2011, 01:41 AM         #19
PR0TENTIAL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cris Carter hating? What else is new?
 6 years ago '10        #20
justdezit 20 heat pts20
space
space
$2,135 | Props total: 2212 2212
preciate that cris, just picked up calvin in fantasy and the extra motivation is much appreciated
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
65 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
34 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
88 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy