Album review: 'Watch the Throne' a royal waste :jaydamn:

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
126 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #141
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
$10,480 | Props total: 275 275
 FaceTheGawd said:
Sorry but if your looking at rappers to "uplift" you, you lost at life.

ITS ONLY ENTERTAINMENT.

Truth is n*ggas weren't gonna be happy either way...if he rapped about drugs and coming up in the hood, bx user: man u don't live that lifestyle,this aint 96 anymore....if he raps about money, its why jay always flossing and bragging about his money?

Lets be honest here, no matter how great or bad this album was or is, people will NEVER be satisfied
Pretty much

Reminds me of when the Haitian earthquake happened. All of a sudden, everyone was judging celebrities by how much they gave. And some of them gave a bunch of money. But if a celebrity gave like $500,000...or a mil...the criticism was why couldn't they give 2, or 3. And I understand that it's the noble thing to do, but it's still their money. They just gotta pay their taxes

It'd be nice if these rappers gave money...I'd respect them a 1000 times more. But objectively speaking, they don't have to. That logic doesn't hold up in court
 6 years ago '10        #142
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
$10,480 | Props total: 275 275
 psylence2k said:
You're defending the merit of an album whose overall theme is a superficially materialistic one of self glorification with lack of any deeper narrative and we're the ones who are one dimensional ??? The musical substance isn't that deep so attempting to make your explanation of the meaning behind it more profound than the actual lyrical content itself is ridiculous and delusional.

Lemme help you be honest, just say " I dont really have high standards , I'm easily entertained, and two guys in their late 30s/early 40s pretentiously flaunting their material wealth and ego's is inspirational to me " That would be more sincere articulation of your sentiments.

What does ppl seeing or not seeing these two as thugs and gangstas or clean cut business men/lyrical geniuses have anything to do with them providing a shallow, ostentatious, and superficial piece of work ??? You're basically saying their professional success gives them a pass to aimlessly rap about material wealth and their inflated egos for 12 tracks straight.

I mentioned ritzy white folk and smug jews because that in particular is the newest presence these two have become familiar with on a social level. No , Jay and Ye are not "acting white" because alot of those ritzy white folk and jews dont even act in such a pretentious manner, they keep their spending relatively conservative considering their wealth. You dont see Jimmy Iovine partaking in the conspicuous consumption in order to achieve a pecuniary emulation to validate his ego. Dude still drives a mercedes from the damn 80's. What Ye and Jay are doing is NOT acting white cuz most rich white ppl dont even act like that. Shyt is just High Class Cooning. Where you got the a.ssumption that I was trying to say " they are acting white and that's wrong " is beyond me.

The reason I said "impressing the white man" is because you tried to justify their flaunting by saying " at least they dont act giddy like other rappers". Of course they dont, the reason they learned a different "way" to flaunt/behave/act is because if they acted like lower class coons (Gucci, Wakka, Soula Boy) then their higher class peers would look at them like " man these negros are hilarious " so they learned how to be higher class coons thinking it was more acceptable, but at the end of the day their peers still quietly think " damn these negros were broke and all they cared about was flaunting wealth, now they got money and they still only care about flaunting wealth " . They are making lower class youth naively think that the way to be accepted in higher class environments and looked at as classy and sophisticated is to stop bragging about jordans and rims and start bragging about gucci slippers and automav watches. It's like they have everyone's attention and they're basically saying "forget about all the other shyt in the world, getting money so you can stunt on ppl is the most important thing in life .. BLING BLING BLING " , just because they code it in higher end label names you guys think it's "sophisticated".

Imma just reflect on a Kanye Quote:

" n*ggaz be writing bullshyt like 'that gotta work' , n*ggaz is going through real shyt man they outta work, that's why another god damn dance track gotta hurt , thats why I'd rather spit something that got a purp(ose) "

It's kinda ironic how that quote pretty much sums up the critique of the next album he touched.
I am...the same way I defend a great movie despite its content. Great writing and art is great writing and art. I'm far from a materialistic person....and I believe in giving. But I am a reasonable person. That is the difference between your argument and mine. I'm speaking from an objective perspective...you're speaking from an agenda laced perspective in which you're EXPECTING something. You're imposing your beliefs...you're no different from a bible thumper

Oh and wouldn't you know....you're a mind reader . Music is entertainment for me friend...it's not some road map to life or to reflect on my life. If and when I do connect with music....it's because certain parts of it relate to my past, present, or future. Great attempt at making a.ssumptions about me because I came with a much stronger argument. I guess you had no choice but to reach for straws.

I don't believe in materialism. In fact, one of my life goals(if you knew me personally) is to provide for people. But....I don't impose my views on others. I can accept something for what it is. Jay and Ye makes an album mostly about their wealth. If I had their wealth would I do something different? Sure...but the keyword is THEIR wealth. Get it? And so...from an objective perspective I can respect it. And I can see a well written piece and art work despite its subject matter. That is what I see with Watch the Throne, a well written, well produced album with musical creations that I can appreciate. Nothing more nothing less

I see you're continuing to fail at analyzing different things. Your lack of perspective is astounding. So you really don't see the difference in a clean cut, business like image and a thuggish gangster like image regardless of what topic they're speaking on? Really? Do you know anything about messaging, marketing, and human interpretation? Do you think a young impressionable mind interprets materialism and anything of the sort from Kanye, Jay, or any rich person or Ceo....the same way as they would from a gangster, drug dealer, or thuggish persona?? . Dude...stop it. Just stop typing...

High Class Cooning???? Lmao. Rap is a lot more mainstream than "ritzy white folks and jews". You don't think any of them are snobs? Who do you think are buying the thousands of lambos, ferraris, and Rolls Royce a year? Only rappers and wannabes? What about the yachts and the big mansions??

High Class Cooning...thank you for proving my double standard point. Apparently only black people are show offs. Being poor doesn't equal "coonish" behavior...to use your lingo. For all you know...Jay and Kanye may have been real chill growing up despite their surroundings. You say they learned to act a different way to not be like those "other" rappers. You're essentially saying that because they're rappers...black rappers at that....their behavior is somehow a fake. They couldn't have just acquired a new taste or way to behave like normal human beings...because of their complexion

Cool story bro
 6 years ago '11        #143
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,518 | Props total: 38 38
You cant write a bad review about an album, because it didnt talk about this or that. Thats like saying a movie is bad because it didnt end the way you wanted it to. A review should focus on what the album DID talk about. Not once did the reviewer actually review a song he just said they talked about money.
 6 years ago '04        #144
DJ Maximum|M 47 heat pts47
space
space
$43,310 | Props total: 11348 11348
 Illstreet said:
A.k.a. "I want extremely succesful guys with tons of money and influence to act like they're struggling and talk about the hood"

They don't want rappers on that next level... Talking that sophistication sh*t...Rather they stay in their place and constantly struggle with drugs and violence...

"Them crackas gonna act like I ain't on they a.ss"

this....
 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM         #145
Cheeze  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DJ Maximum said:
this....
one stan quoting another stan
 6 years ago '08        #146
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23304 23304
 Nautilus O said:

Turned his back on the human race

Its called growing up all artists do it, its funny that rappers are the only musicians that can't elevate their music intelligently and mature without selling out. Go listen to Lil stevie wonder then go listen to Hotter than July then go listen to Songs in the Key of Life. Its called the maturation of an artist.

If people like Rusell, 50, and Jay and Kanye don't inspire you to go 100% harder at your own hustle, whatever it may be, listening to this album is like reading a self help book trying to find a recipe for crab cakes.
funny you say Jay grew as a artist when he's gotten even more complacent lyrically. Name brands and car models have replaced cocaine and measurements. Its ironic this supposedly artistically mature jay told us 30's the new 20 and he's forever young
 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM         #147
Haze_Reloaded  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cheeze said:
one stan quoting another stan
Notice how all they do is post the Jay z smiley

I can play that game too

[video - click to view]

which led to him being speechless

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '09        #148
DesertEagle 48 heat pts48
space
space
$7,980 | Props total: 1850 1850
“Lift Off” follows, with Jay-Z’s other half, Beyonce, delivering a vocal that again feels disengaged. “Take it to the moon, take it to the stars, how many people you know get this far,” she sings. Please.

6 years ago '11        #149
I KILL TREES 15 heat pts15
space
space
$8,932 | Props total: 1075 1075
:watchthethronedropn*ggaskilltheyself:
 08-09-2011, 05:46 PM         #150
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Smoke500 said:
I am...the same way I defend a great movie despite its content. Great writing and art is great writing and art. I'm far from a materialistic person....and I believe in giving. But I am a reasonable person. That is the difference between your argument and mine. I'm speaking from an objective perspective...you're speaking from an agenda laced perspective in which you're EXPECTING something. You're imposing your beliefs...you're no different from a bible thumper

Oh and wouldn't you know....you're a mind reader . Music is entertainment for me friend...it's not some road map to life or to reflect on my life. If and when I do connect with music....it's because certain parts of it relate to my past, present, or future. Great attempt at making a.ssumptions about me because I came with a much stronger argument. I guess you had no choice but to reach for straws.

I don't believe in materialism. In fact, one of my life goals(if you knew me personally) is to provide for people. But....I don't impose my views on others. I can accept something for what it is. Jay and Ye makes an album mostly about their wealth. If I had their wealth would I do something different? Sure...but the keyword is THEIR wealth. Get it? And so...from an objective perspective I can respect it. And I can see a well written piece and art work despite its subject matter. That is what I see with Watch the Throne, a well written, well produced album with musical creations that I can appreciate. Nothing more nothing less

I see you're continuing to fail at analyzing different things. Your lack of perspective is astounding. So you really don't see the difference in a clean cut, business like image and a thuggish gangster like image regardless of what topic they're speaking on? Really? Do you know anything about messaging, marketing, and human interpretation? Do you think a young impressionable mind interprets materialism and anything of the sort from Kanye, Jay, or any rich person or Ceo....the same way as they would from a gangster, drug dealer, or thuggish persona?? . Dude...stop it. Just stop typing...

High Class Cooning???? Lmao. Rap is a lot more mainstream than "ritzy white folks and jews". You don't think any of them are snobs? Who do you think are buying the thousands of lambos, ferraris, and Rolls Royce a year? Only rappers and wannabes? What about the yachts and the big mansions??

High Class Cooning...thank you for proving my double standard point. Apparently only black people are show offs. Being poor doesn't equal "coonish" behavior...to use your lingo. For all you know...Jay and Kanye may have been real chill growing up despite their surroundings. You say they learned to act a different way to not be like those "other" rappers. You're essentially saying that because they're rappers...black rappers at that....their behavior is somehow a fake. They couldn't have just acquired a new taste or way to behave like normal human beings...because of their complexion

Cool story bro

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #151
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,786 | Props total: 1792 1792
 Smoke500 said:

Cool story bro

Now you want to take an objective artistic approach huh ?? before it was " oh yea Jay and Ye's professional portfolio inspires ppl so let them spit that materialistic shyt all they want ", okay we can go with your new angle.

Artistically shyt was garbage

lyrically from a technical point it was weak, Ye and Jay have never sounded lazier as far as rhyme skills go.

lyrically from a substance point shyt was weak, Once again Ye and jay have numerous times in the past been able to meet a balance between flossing and introspective substance. Shyt is almost non existent here, sad thing is when you compare reasonable doubt jay to this jay, reasonable doubt jay sounds like the 42 year old and this jay sounds 26. Same with Kanye and College dropout.

Production wise shyt is mediocre, half the beats were decent, half was trash, EVERY Kanye CD is better than this production wise.

So how exactly is this album good artistically ?? This album sits at the bottom of BOTH their catalogs.

If you feel it despite all that, then you just have low standards IMO.

There's the ARTISTIC and objective breakdown for u

Now back to the other points

Race has nothing to do with it , Just because I said ritzy white folk you think I'm saying " Oh Jay and Ye are Uncle Toms" , no Jay and Ye are not acting "white" for the last time, they're acting coonish. I dunno how your brain comes up with a.ssumption that I'm saying Jay and Ye are not acting black or that white ppl CAN't act pretentious. Lemme put it this way, this album makes Jay and Ye look like the rap versions of Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, if you like listening to all that flashy talk with no depth then you probably enjoy reading perez hilton and tmz articles ALL day long. It's their repetitive and obsessive desire to talk about materialism in overly pretentious fashion, I dont care what race you are, white ,black, asian, hispanic, etc, shyt is just wack, Anyone who wants to talk about their wealth and ego for over an hour clearly has attained a jaded perspective on life, but hey that's just my opinion. For the last time shyt is not about race, these dudes are pretty much creating the rap version of " the hills" or "laguna beach" . If you feel it , fine but say you feel it for the superficial and ostentatious shyt that it is, dont make it seem like it's some profound and inspirational masterpiece, you sound like those lil girls who think Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton are outstanding role models.
 6 years ago '10        #152
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,143 | Props total: 8108 8108
 Arson said:
funny you say Jay grew as a artist when he's gotten even more complacent lyrically. Name brands and car models have replaced cocaine and measurements. Its ironic this supposedly artistically mature jay told us 30's the new 20 and he's forever young
Reasonable Doubt lyrically can't be fu*ked with, but getting complacent lyrically doesnt mean the music is maturing. You cant be a dope boy all your life theres a reason Wayne started doing drugs, Jeezy can't drop an album to save his life and DMX and Eminem are becoming the old guard. if you can't mature and adapt you die
 6 years ago '06        #153
Kingme 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,904 | Props total: 7568 7568
 Scan said:
i dont get it, what do you want him to say? what is he doing wrong...your basically saying you want him to change who he is...at 40+ years old...and with that i don't think you ever really liked his music

"and now that thats that lets talk about the future, we have just seen the dream as predicted by martin luther...now you could choose to sit in front of your computer posing with guns, shooting youtube up, or you can come with me to the white house, fix ya suit up. you stuck on being hardcore, i chuck the deuce up, peace out medusas..."

fu*k is deep when someone says something as real as that? you want him to be fake and start reaching?

call me camel warrior but the proof is in the pudding...

and you writing off my whole posts and points while im acknowledging yours..if im debating a losing battle let me know cuz it seems as if you don't really care to get it you just hate the guy
I called you a Camel Jockey because you Jockin Jay Z.

Are you a.ssuming that because I stated Im dissapointed in the album that I'm not a Jay Z fan? If you are, you're wrong because I am a Jay Z fan.

Why would you put a rhyme off of Blueprint 3 in a Watch the Throne Thread?

Are you having a hard time finding any bars on Watch the Throne as "real" as the ones you qouted nor as tuff as the bars he spit on "Most Kings" which I referenced in my first post? I know I am

I never said Jay Z is not capable of being deep, its the opposite, which is why I and alot of hip hop fans are dissapointed at an album from him called Watch The Throne. Same goes for Kanye.

I know alot of Jay Z fans (yourself included) have low expectations from Jay Z which is why this album probably made your year and thats cool, to each his own. But dont get mad at me for prefering the introspective/real Jay Z over the shinny suit I got bling Jay Z.
 6 years ago '11        #154
Suge Knight 44 heat pts44
space
space
$517 | Props total: 31 31
MrIndie going in lol
 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM         #155
Haze_Reloaded  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Can stans ever come up with a solid argument?
 6 years ago '08        #156
Eagles All Day 87 heat pts87
space
space
$32,793 | Props total: 12452 12452
 Suge Knight said:
MrIndie going in lol
Not really....making ten continuous posts about a topic you got no idea in does NOT constitute going in...dumbass n*gga.
 6 years ago '08        #157
space
space
 Maze 112 said:
Can stans ever come up with a solid argument?
Damn son, go get a hobby or something, you been hating four days straight LOL.
 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM         #158
Haze_Reloaded  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FaceTheGawd said:
Damn son, go get a hobby or something, you been hating four days straight LOL.
And you been d!ckriding two grown men.
 08-09-2011, 07:27 PM         #159
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
can't deny it that was hilarious
 6 years ago '08        #160
space
space
 Maze 112 said:
And you been d!ckriding two grown men.
d!ckriding??

Im a fan of both artists of course I'm gonna be going into the WTT threads while your on some hating sh*t every chance u get????

Notice how many replies the nas threads have on here

Its because nobody cares, good or bad
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago