most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
120 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
51 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #21
EOAE 60 heat pts60
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 283 283
aye somebody gotta hate

fu*k this muhfu*ka though
 6 years ago '08        #22
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,109 | Props total: 23327 23327
there is no rebuttle to this review that woulldn't be a strawman argument or completely stanish. Thus this thread only has 22 replies after 2 hours
 6 years ago '10        #23
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
 psylence2k said:
You read my post wrong, I didn't say it didn't sound cohesive and coherent, I actually was inferring that it did but the reason it did was because that they found a common ground creatively , subject matter that lyrically they both had in common, but sad thing is that they only thing that they BOTH rap about well enough to make a theme for a whole album about is superficial materialistic rap and pretentious egotistical braggadocio. I dont think rappers or anyone else should be "required" to write about anything, do what you want, but at the same time be prepared for the criticism.
I suppose that's true. But something tells me we're trying to hold Kanye & Jay-Z to higher standard than we do for other rappers. Which I guess is okay since they are supposed to be the upper echelon.

To be honest a lot of rap music, ever since its birth, has had some form of showmanship. And yeah Kanye and Jay are talking that smack in the middle of a recession but they also talked a series of other issues that didn't even get mentioned.

Again I bring up How I Got Over. It was probably my favorite album last year but I was shocked at how it got badly overlooked. It was even shunned by the Grammy's.

My opinion is that on a whole, the music industry and us as music fans are the reason to blame for what we have today.
 08-09-2011, 01:35 AM         #24
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cheeze said:
that's where I first read this

i gave it a look cause if quest love questioned himself then I had to read it cause he couldn't stop tweeting about it last night
I definitely get what the reviewer's saying and I understand why he doesn't like the record. But I respectfully don't agree with what he's saying. I think the fans and the press hyped this up to being much more than what it was. I let the record be what it is and I came away happy. Everyone added all of these tags and made it this big event only to get disappointed. I feel bad for them because they'll never appreciate sh*t if they do that with every album.
 6 years ago '10        #25
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,168 | Props total: 8206 8206
If you listened to this album and said "damn its a recession going on and they talking bought expensive sh*t"

this type of music aint for you
 6 years ago '10        #26
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
 Arson said:
there is no rebuttle to this review that woulldn't be a strawman argument or completely stanish. Thus this thread only has 22 replies after 2 hours
Not sure what you're getting at...I've posted commentary about the level of substance in review and there hasn't been much response
 6 years ago '04        #27
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
 Illstreet said:
A.k.a. "I want extremely succesful guys with tons of money and influence to act like they're struggling and talk about the hood"

They don't want rappers on that next level... Talking that sophistication sh*t...Rather they stay in their place and constantly struggle with drugs and violence...

"Them crackas gonna act like I ain't on they a.ss"

2pac and Nas still rapped about shyt that was going on in the community even after they were comfortable and rich in the suburbs.

Ye by himself is able to touch on certain subjects with depth that dont revolve around his ego, it's just when he got in there with Jay he knew only shyt they had in common was that braggadocios shyt.
 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM         #28
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 trex said:
I suppose that's true. But something tells me we're trying to hold Kanye & Jay-Z to higher standard than we do for other rappers. Which I guess is okay since they are supposed to be the upper echelon.

To be honest a lot of rap music, ever since its birth, has had some form of showmanship. And yeah Kanye and Jay are talking that smack in the middle of a recession but they also talked a series of other issues that didn't even get mentioned.

Again I bring up How I Got Over. It was probably my favorite album last year but I was shocked at how it got badly overlooked. It was even shunned by the Grammy's.

My opinion is that on a whole, the music industry and us as music fans are the reason to blame for what we have today.
How I Got Over should've won more Grammys, I agree. It was one of the very few albums I bought last year.
 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM         #29
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Nautilus O said:
If you listened to this album and said "damn its a recession going on and they talking bought expensive sh*t"

08-09-2011, 01:39 AM         #30
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KnicksLost said:
That line almost ruined the entire review. How condescending is that, like they didn't work to get where they are?
 6 years ago '04        #31
EOAE 60 heat pts60
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 283 283
 MrIndieArtist said:
i no longer support jays music . color me stan turned hater.
youll be back in a week
 6 years ago '04        #32
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Nautilus O said:

obviously, Ye and Jay about to birth what we will soon know as Republican rap.
 6 years ago '10        #33
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
$10,480 | Props total: 275 275

Cmon...really though? Every rapper raps about how rich they are...how many girls they fck. At least with Jay and Kanye it's a bit more grown...more elegant. And I notice the reviewer didn't mention the Planned Parenthood line

Sounds to me like this critic just wanted to...well...be a critic and not fall into the hype. Otherwise he wouldn't nitpick
 08-09-2011, 01:45 AM         #34
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
obviously, Ye and Jay about to birth what we will soon know as Republican rap.
Don't you mean Nas and Jay?

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #35
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
 psylence2k said:
2pac and Nas still rapped about shyt that was going on in the community even after they were comfortable and rich in the suburbs.

Ye by himself is able to touch on certain subjects with depth that dont revolve around his ego, it's just when he got in there with Jay he knew only shyt they had in common was that braggadocios shyt.
Dude.....70% of Ye's music is based on his ego...and even he knows it. Are u serious ??
 6 years ago '10        #36
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
 Illstreet said:
A.k.a. "I want extremely succesful guys with tons of money and influence to act like they're struggling and talk about the hood"

They don't want rappers on that next level... Talking that sophistication sh*t...Rather they stay in their place and constantly struggle with drugs and violence...

"Them crackas gonna act like I ain't on they a.ss"

Truth

Real sh*t though...and it's pretty ironic. They want all rappers to rap about the hood...to keep it real and all this crap. Yet that's what most rappers get criticism for. Here you have 2 rappers who reflect on their past and talk about their present...which is being super wealthy and making it. And suddenly that's a problem
 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM         #37
Cheeze  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dangerously said:
I definitely get what the reviewer's saying and I understand why he doesn't like the record. But I respectfully don't agree with what he's saying. I think the fans and the press hyped this up to being much more than what it was. I let the record be what it is and I came away happy. Everyone added all of these tags and made it this big event only to get disappointed. I feel bad for them because they'll never appreciate sh*t if they do that with every album.
I don't believe hype in albums. That died out when I was like 15-16. People just need to think for themselves. I used to be lovin punchlines and mixtapes till I realized they had no substance, for the most part. They made me go :wow: but didn't leave me with an expression like

As I grew up I realized there's gotta be more than just bragging about sh*t.

Dangerously said:
That line almost ruined the entire review. How condescending is that, like they didn't work to get where they are?
I understand it's condescending but it kind of needed to be said. I mean from the start, it was them basically saying "look at where we are" "look at what we have" they took the easier route in making an album that was gonna sell instead of making a good album that didn't sound like the rest of the garbage the past 5-7 yrs. But that's me.
 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM         #38
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MrIndieArtist said:
no ive been off jay no homo for years now. could see this transition to arrogant douche bag way back when. this man went from hustlin with dame to hustling for white folks. at some point money is just an object. and you got to stay true to where u come from. this man is about as far from where hes come from as anyone ive seen.
"Iím a multi-millionaire so how is it Iím still the hardest here,
I donít be in the project hallway talking about how I be in the project all day
That sound stupid to me, if you a gangsta this is how you prove it to me."

Jay-Z - "death of Autotune"

That's the problem with hip hop fans. You complain about lack of grown and you complain about someone not staying true to where he comes from. You can't have it both ways.
 6 years ago '04        #39
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Smoke500 said:
Cmon...really though? Every rapper raps about how rich they are...how many girls they fck. At least with Jay and Kanye it's a bit more grown...more elegant. And I notice the reviewer didn't mention the Planned Parenthood line

Sounds to me like this critic just wanted to...well...be a critic and not fall into the hype. Otherwise he wouldn't nitpick
so they should get a pass because everyone else does it ?? I though these were the two best talents at the top of the game ?? occupants of the throne ?? shouldn't they be pushing boundaries, setting the trend, and creating a standard ?? " Every rapper does it " sooo what's that suppose to mean ????

"it's a bit more grown....more elegant. " , and that changes what? because one rapper talks about beamers, video hoes, and ice while hov and ye talk bentleys, models, and G4's it makes a difference in the substance ??? how is that more grown ?? because the shyt is more expensive ?? so Jay can brag about his gucci boxers then say " all of yall can suck my balls through my drawers " ??

How is it nitpicking when their egos are pretty much the overtone of the whole album.

Last edited by psylence2k; 08-09-2011 at 01:57 AM..
 08-09-2011, 01:59 AM         #40
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cheeze said:
I don't believe hype in albums. That died out when I was like 15-16. People just need to think for themselves. I used to be lovin punchlines and mixtapes till I realized they had no substance, for the most part. They made me go :wow: but didn't leave me with an expression like

As I grew up I realized there's gotta be more than just bragging about sh*t.

I understand it's condescending but it kind of needed to be said. I mean from the start, it was them basically saying "look at where we are" "look at what we have" they took the easier route in making an album that was gonna sell instead of making a good album that didn't sound like the rest of the garbage the past 5-7 yrs. But that's me.
My thing is though, when I compare this with what's come out this year, there's very little competition. That's why this album is good to me, because across the landscape is mediocre, underwhelming garbage. When Rick Ross is the most consistent mainstream artist out here besides Kanye and Jay...that's mindblowing to me.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
20 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
76 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
201 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
86 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
23 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
46 comments
1 day ago