Celebrity headphones: Ludacris does well, Dr. Dre gets a beat-down

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
94 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
34 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #1
6569 pageviews
55 comments

MFKAD 55 heat pts55
space
space
space
$1,181 | Props total: 32 32

[pic - click to view]

(Signeo Soul by Ludacris SL150)

[pic - click to view]

(Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo)

In Consumer Reports' newest Headphone Ratings, which include several "celebrity" headphone models that were designed with input from well-known musical artists, a new on-ear studio-style set—Signeo Soul by Ludacris SL150—did fairly well, while one older portable model in Monster's Dr. Dre line—Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo—disappointed, with a sound that was only fair.

To be fair, though, several other Monster models, including both Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Diddybeats ($150) and Monster Heartbeats by Lady Gaga ($70), were among the top performers with very good overall sound, each earning a Recommended tag and Lady Gaga nabbing a CR Best Buy nod.

Consumer Reports' just-posted headphones Ratings (available to subscribers) include reviews of more than 85 portable and home-studio-style headphones, including earbuds, insert-style earphones, and larger on-ear and over-the-ear models.

Although it finished in the middle of the home/studio-style headphones pack, the $200 Signeo Soul by Ludacris SL150s delivered good overall sound with a slightly warm character, and had controls that worked with several smart-phone models. The on-ear headphones were also very sensitive, so they can provide adequate volume when used with lower-powered devices such as portable music players and cell phones.

Consumer Reports testers weren't so keen on the $180 Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo, an on-ear portable model that delivered sound quality we rated as only fair. Sensitivity was high, providing decent volume when paired with lower-powered portable devices.

Another celebrity, producer Quincy Jones, has always been known for having good ears, and now he has some headphones to go over them. We just tested the new $170 AKG Quincy Jones Signature Q460 on-ear model, and it delivered good overall sound quality with a warm character.

But don't limit your choices to just these celebrity models—many of the best-sounding headphones we tested were from familiar headphone brands, including Klipsch, AKG, Altec Lansing, and Bose, as well as newcomers such as Phiaton, Skullcandy. and Ultimate Ears. And the top overall score in our most recent headphone Ratings were turned by perennial high-scorer Grado, for a studio-style model that costs only $100.

If you're in the market for a new set of headphones, check our complete Ratings for the goods on more than seven dozen models. And make sure you visit our headphone buying guide for advice on how to get the right model for your needs.

[pic - click to view]

55 comments for "Celebrity headphones: Ludacris does well, Dr. Dre gets a beat-down"

6 years ago '07        #2
MFKAD 55 heat pts55 OP
space
space
space
$1,181 | Props total: 32 32
bump..
 08-10-2011, 02:11 AM         #3
StayBlazin1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if ur dre how are you NOT gonna make em wireless?
 6 years ago '09        #4
DonPurple 3 heat pts
space
space
$905 | Props total: 485 485
the solos are sh*t anyways. i copped the red studios and they havent disappointed
 08-10-2011, 03:10 AM         #5
Shakezula714 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
inb4 someone says beats are overpriced and suggest bose and senns

6 years ago '05        #6
drama_kiNg 62 heat pts62
space
space
$14,284 | Props total: 675 675
them sh*ts are overpriced
 6 years ago '06        #7
Hussle 36 heat pts36
space
space
$4,698 | Props total: 248 248
 Shakezula714 said:
inb4 someone says beats are overpriced and suggest bose and senns

6 years ago '06        #8
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,054 | Props total: 18813 18813
 DonPurple said:
the solos are sh*t anyways. i copped the red studios and they havent disappointed
I've had my black studios for half a year now and I can honestly say they're the sh*t...

Solo's didn't interest me...buncha ppl at school had them sh*ts and I wasn't impressed when they let me wear em'...
 6 years ago '09        #9
DonPurple 3 heat pts
space
space
$905 | Props total: 485 485
 RAZAH CUTS said:
I've had my black studios for half a year now and I can honestly say they're the sh*t...

Solo's didn't interest me...buncha ppl at school had them sh*ts and I wasn't impressed when they let me wear em'...
yea the solos are for the kids who wanna look cool, have no money for quality, and have no idea what good sound quality is lol
 6 years ago '04        #10
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,002 | Props total: 771 771
I've been telling you dudes forever that Grado sh*ts on the competition when it comes to sound quality, not necessarily external design. Consumer Reports agrees.
 6 years ago '05        #11
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,239 | Props total: 9646 9646
i got the solo's... they're not nearly as good as the studios. but if you don't have the extra cash they're pretty good. i'm getting the studios next month for my birthday.
 08-10-2011, 06:21 AM         #12
ibcpirate 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WCIB said:
i got the solo's... they're not nearly as good as the studios. but if you don't have the extra cash they're pretty good. i'm getting the studios next month for my birthday.
I own Studios and they're damn good. Used a friend's Solos and they aren't that great, and my friend doesn't even use them since he says they hurt his ears. In my opinion, get the Tours instead of Solos if you want em for the music.
 08-10-2011, 06:27 AM         #13
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The beats seem to have wiring that tears easily from what I hear and see with my old model.

But the old model of the studio beats has amazing sound, dont know about the new ones.

The earbuds are overpriced for sure.
 6 years ago '05        #14
fully_amazing 12 heat pts12
space
space
$1,713 | Props total: 339 339
I just got my Sennheiser MM550 yesterday.
I gotta say that these are dope. Idk if I can ever go back to wired ear phones.

Taking phone calls while listening to music.
The external mic so you don't have to take your headphones off when someone is talking to you.
And with the iPhone, being able to have full functionality i.e
Spotlight search, vol., song skip, and even 3rd party app support like pandora,spotify, slacker ect.
>>>>>>
 6 years ago '06        #15
lexball50 
space
space
$2,107 | Props total: 192 192
The Solos suck a.ss, I had the studios and loved em, until I lost em in the fu*king gym.
 6 years ago '06        #16
julez456 
space
space
$156 | Props total: 0 0
My Studios broke within 2 months when I got them. I got them when they first came out and I think the newer ones are made differently now but the screws holding the plastic piece that goes across the top of the headphones broke thru the plastic. I haven't really used them since.

Sound quality was amazing but I was upset that they broke like that so quickly. I ordered them online so I never bothered trying to get them replaced.
 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM         #17
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 lexball50 said:
The Solos suck a.ss, I had the studios and loved em, until I lost em in the fu*king gym.
You didn't lose them, they were stolen from you.
 6 years ago '05        #18
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,239 | Props total: 9646 9646
 ibcpirate said:
I own Studios and they're damn good. Used a friend's Solos and they aren't that great, and my friend doesn't even use them since he says they hurt his ears. In my opinion, get the Tours instead of Solos if you want em for the music.
no doubt! i'll look into them.
 6 years ago '10        #19
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,874 | Props total: 20888 20888
I know there have countless threads about beat by dre & comparing them to other headphones but if someone who is obsessive with music (myself) then they should be looking at buying the HD & the studio or just the studio?
 6 years ago '08        #20
RustyLorcin 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$3,459 | Props total: 588 588
sony xb500 >>>>>>>>>>>> solos
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago