Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne (2011)

most viewed right now
 182
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
87 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 145
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
53 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 120
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
99 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 115
Rappers that have or had AIDS
75 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

rate
5/5 Classic 293 30.24%
4/5 Great 379 39.11%
3/5 Decent 212 21.88%
2/5 Bad 37 3.82%
1/5 Garbage 48 4.95%
Voters: 969. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #221
Escobar97 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,661 | Props total: 563 563
Classic sh*t..fu*k the opinion of anyone who dosen't think so b.c. they obviously don't know sh*t about music.
 6 years ago '05        #222
Vancouver 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$2,451 | Props total: 126 126
 Fashion78 said:
Yeah, and I appreciate you mentioning this comment, as I don't know about anyone else on here, but I'm 33 now and most (not all of course) of the subject matter is materialistic and premature...a bit surprised considering the ages and supposed mature levels these artists are supposed to be at this point in their lives...

Just my opinion tho, which is what this forum is for right?
My man. People saying this is original and fresh and that the lyrics are thoughtful and introspective have me saying what the fu*k? Are we listening to the same thing? This is almost entirely an album of luxury rap/brag rap, which is fine, but does not a classic make. This album is shallow, like MBDTF, which is what will eventually k!ll its replay value, like MBDTF. Jay has a few verses that delve into other subject matter, Kanye has basically none.
 6 years ago '05        #223
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$39,872 | Props total: 8394 8394
 Vancouver said:
My man. People saying this is original and fresh and that the lyrics are thoughtful and introspective have me saying what the fu*k? Are we listening to the same thing? This is almost entirely an album of luxury rap/brag rap, which is fine, but does not a classic make. This album is shallow, like MBDTF, which is what will eventually k!ll its replay value, like MBDTF. Jay has a few verses that delve into other subject matter, Kanye has basically none.
yeah if thats what you got out of it yeah we are not listening to the same thing. but hey opinions are like as*holes right?
 6 years ago '07        #224
Escobar97 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,661 | Props total: 563 563
Stop reaching, and just shatter your meaningless opinion of what hip-hop is supposed to be and when you just listen to this you appreciate it for what it is, musically it's a masterpiece nothing less...
 6 years ago '05        #225
Vancouver 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$2,451 | Props total: 126 126
 StateProperty88 said:
yeah if thats what you got out of it yeah we are not listening to the same thing. but hey opinions are like as*holes right?
New Day, which has an atrocious hook, Welcome to the Jungle, and maybe Made in America are the only songs with any semblance of depth. What other songs are not brag/luxury rap?
 6 years ago '05        #226
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$39,872 | Props total: 8394 8394
 Vancouver said:
New Day, which has an atrocious hook, Welcome to the Jungle, and maybe Made in America are the only songs with any semblance of depth. What other songs are not brag/luxury rap?
i'd say about half the album

murder to excellence
new day
welcome to the jungle
made in america (why did you say maybe, this song clearly has nothing to do with luxury and bragging)
why i love you
no church for the wild
 6 years ago '05        #227
Vancouver 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$2,451 | Props total: 126 126
 StateProperty88 said:
i'd say about half the album

murder to excellence
new day
welcome to the jungle
made in america (why did you say maybe, this song clearly has nothing to do with luxury and bragging)
why i love you
no church for the wild
I said maybe for Made in America cuz yeezy is mostly talking about how he's a designer now. Why I Love You is bragging mostly, No Church in the Wild as well (like No Church, not saying it's bad, Why I Love You as well, minus the hook, again). murder to Exellence you're def right I left that out.

That's still not very many songs. A classic album gotta have more diverse content, for me at least. And to say this is so much different than anything else in the mainstream is pretty fallacious to me.
 6 years ago '05        #228
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$39,872 | Props total: 8394 8394
 Vancouver said:
I said maybe for Made in America cuz yeezy is mostly talking about how he's a designer now. Why I Love You is bragging mostly, No Church in the Wild as well (like No Church, not saying it's bad, Why I Love You as well, minus the hook, again). murder to Exellence you're def right I left that out.

That's still not very many songs. A classic album gotta have more diverse content, for me at least. And to say this is so much different than anything else in the mainstream is pretty fallacious to me.
yeezy isnt mostly talking about how he's a designer in that song, he really only says one thing in his last line and thats it. to be honest i cant fathom why how you can say why i love you is mostly bragging, its just not there homie. even when jay is being real with you and saying that he's been hurt by people he took under his wing sh*tting on him you call it bragging. jay finally showed some vulnerability in a part of his life that he usually never does. i just dont get your perspective on those two songs specifically in terms of them bragging

and as for it being a classic, i dont know im not one to really come on here and declare stuff classics like that. but i will say i enjoy the album more every time i listen to it which is good enough for me
 6 years ago '06        #229
mafiaboy 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,229 | Props total: 319 319
 egotistical said:
n*gga you are one lost soul... First you comparing an album that hasn't even dropped to w.t.t. Second, n*gga you crazy, you are just in the box like the other critics... Just because line for line ain't about the struggle... Doesn't make it a sh*tty cd... Once again i told you u can't compare it a previous album, everything is different the age of rap is way different then it was... He can't be the same jay-z like reasonable doubt, american gangster and what not... People need to stop judging this album on the surface.. And like i said name something that is better lately in the past few months... Not no sh*t that was 2 and 4 years ago...
big krit's return of 4eva is out you idiot! Wtf are you talkin bout? And american gangster is not that old and a far better album bottom line! And i'm not in a box. For all it's hype, this album is not all that. But i expect you jay-z stans to sweat it just because. Holla at me in a couple of months and let me know if you still bumpin this album.
 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM         #230
I ito I 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I say the album is decent.. I only like n*ggas In Paris, Gotta Have It, Who Gon Stop Me, Illest Motherfu*ker Alive, Why I Love You, and H.A.M.. far from classic, Kanye was spittin harder than Jay... Jay last 2 albums American Gangster and Kingdom Come were better than this..
 6 years ago '10        #231
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
avatar space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
 Vancouver said:
I said maybe for Made in America cuz yeezy is mostly talking about how he's a designer now. Why I Love You is bragging mostly, No Church in the Wild as well (like No Church, not saying it's bad, Why I Love You as well, minus the hook, again). murder to Exellence you're def right I left that out.

That's still not very many songs. A classic album gotta have more diverse content, for me at least. And to say this is so much different than anything else in the mainstream is pretty fallacious to me.
Why I Love You isn't bragging. Jay's talking about how the people he helped want stabbed him in the back and at the end of the day there's still love.

The album is fairly balanced subject wise. You're gonna have to give that one up.
 6 years ago '10        #232
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
avatar space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
 I ito I said:
I say the album is decent.. I only like n*ggas In Paris, Gotta Have It, Who Gon Stop Me, Illest Motherfu*ker Alive, Why I Love You, and H.A.M.. far from classic, Kanye was spittin harder than Jay... Jay last 2 albums American Gangster and Kingdom Come were better than this..
I'm just going to say Jay went over a lot of heads on that album. He just doesn't even give a fu*k anymore.
 6 years ago '05        #233
murdmon 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$800 | Props total: 2 2
 Dangerously said:
5/5

I think it's too early to call it a "Classic" musically, but the anticipation, the obsession and the mystique surrounding the entire project has made it a Classic before anyone downloaded the first byte of the album. Normally when an album comes out, people get days, weeks, sometimes even months before they get a chance to register a rating.

Sometimes when you first hear a record it doesn't hit you, but when you pick it up a couple days later, or you watch the video or something strikes you to give it a second chance and BOOM it hits you. WTT doesn't get that luxury. People have been holding back the hate for weeks, and others feel they want others to perceive them as discerning or hard to please so they'll label it "mediocre" or "underwhelming".

To them I say, you're robbing yourself.

As a fan of music, I love this entire record. I had Cassius' "The Rockers EP" before they announced that "Love You So" would get sampled on WTT. Mr. Hudson adds a harsher, yet more appropriate edge to the hook and makes "Why I Love You So" one of the standout tracks on WTT. I think much like MBDTF, you have to appreciate the entire picture of the record instead of picking it apart or dissecting the rhymes vs. beat vs. your taste vs. your reputation...just LISTEN.

9th Wonder's got some fu*kin' nerve trolling on Twitter saying WTT is "alright" when he couldn't craft a beat with the depth of "Made In America" to save his life. 9th's attitude is typical of hip hop fans who hold their opinion in high regard, but let that high regard keep them from stepping off their pedestal and just become a fan. Sit back and just listen to the music.

I feel collectively, WTT is a cross roads between Kanye's production and artistic influence from MBDTF and Jay's lyrical motivation to show he still has a few rounds left in him after critics had him on the ropes after BP3. Kanye's competitive nature kicks in and he does his best to match Jay on every track. There's a bit of old school pass the mic style rhymes and there's a lot of grown man introspection from both Jay and 'Ye.

I don't see the hype from "Lift Off". I think it could become a huge hit, but I definitely think it lacked the punch it could've had. if a hook from Beyonce is your album's low note, how CAN you not love it?

Overall, I think this album will get graded on an unfair curve because it's Jay and 'Ye, but at the end of the day, nobody else has released an album on this level this year. There have been good albums, there have been great albums and there is this album. Hate if you want, but name one artist who had the world up at 12ET waiting to buy an album?

Great analyst. I would say lift off is one of my sleepers for the album. This song will make more sense in an arena/stadium.
 6 years ago '05        #234
Vancouver 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$2,451 | Props total: 126 126
 Hovi Bryant said:
Why I Love You isn't bragging. Jay's talking about how the people he helped want stabbed him in the back and at the end of the day there's still love.

The album is fairly balanced subject wise. You're gonna have to give that one up.
I understand what it's about, but it's still in the context of "wasn't I a good king?" The whole album is in that context except for "...Jungle." Now, obviously, the sh*t is called Watch the Throne, so what did I expect? I don't know, maybe I expected too much from mid-30s, earlys-40s rappers, maybe I gave them too much credit, or maybe this album is just not varied hardly at all, and that's a pitiful statement at this point in especially Jay's career. Even on the BME album, inbetween the sh*t talking they get into some real a.ss sh*t, the Distant Relatives album gets into some real a.ss sh*t, this album, here and there does. Not surprising, Jay been doing that (except on AG, which was a great album) and Kanye been had no depth in his sh*t.

And regardless of if we agree on to what degree this album is varied thematically, it remains that this is not super fresh or original, it's fairly close to anything else in the mainstream right now, and only musically is it different (and in that regard I'd say vastly overproduced). People saying whoamg Jay and Ye are so introspective and mature on this obviously listen to ONLY radio rap.
 6 years ago '05        #235
dagame04 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,392 | Props total: 238 238
I wonder if those who's central thesis about the album revolves around Jay and Ye's wealth are familiar with their previous bodies of work.

Have some of yall even listened to the album is my question...Obviously not...
 6 years ago '04        #236
jjbing4 
space
avatar space
space
$1,390 | Props total: 0 0
 dagame04 said:
I wonder if those who's central thesis about the album revolves around Jay and Ye's wealth are familiar with their previous bodies of work.

Have some of yall even listened to the album is my question...Obviously not...
All their previous work aside, the album is definitely not classic. I've listened to it almost 5-10 times now and I'm still not impressed or moved to change my 3/5 to 5/5/. It seems so shallow and bragadocious with no really deep conceptualization with the exception of a few tracks. Some songs are short and barely make 3 mins if you take out the hooks and musical interludes. Everyone is saying the production is god when in actuality it seems like they threw vocal chops from James Brown in randomly. A lot of the samples are well known or really recent. I think as soon as something else comes out that I can listen to, it'll get forgotten.

"Hov' on that new sh*t, n*ggas like "How come?/"
n*ggas want my old sh*t, buy my old albums"-- (plays The Black Album CD)
 6 years ago '05        #237
dagame04 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,392 | Props total: 238 238
 jjbing4 said:
All their previous work aside, the album is definitely not classic. I've listened to it almost 5-10 times now and I'm still not impressed or moved to change my 3/5 to 5/5/. It seems so shallow and bragadocious with no really deep conceptualization with the exception of a few tracks. Some songs are short and barely make 3 mins if you take out the hooks and musical interludes. Everyone is saying the production is god when in actuality it seems like they threw vocal chops from James Brown in randomly. A lot of the samples are well known or really recent. I think as soon as something else comes out that I can listen to, it'll get forgotten.

"Hov' on that new sh*t, n*ggas like "How come?/"
n*ggas want my old sh*t, buy my old albums"-- (plays The Black Album CD)
Lol i like your last quote...
 08-10-2011, 09:28 PM         #238
Lazy Mikey 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
With all the hype that surrounded this album, it fell way short. Production and lyricism are subpar at best and you have 2 of the 'best' at each one on the album. I think they tryed overproducing like MBDTF (which worked out amazingly) and it failed hard. I've listened to it 5x and it just got incredibly boring. I guess i expected a mix of The Blueprint / MBDTF.
 6 years ago '04        #239
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
avatar space
space
$11,750 | Props total: 1566 1566
This sh*t is just amazing musically they pulled it off quite nice imo
 6 years ago '09        #240
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$36,209 | Props total: 19308 19308
 jjbing4 said:
All their previous work aside, the album is definitely not classic. I've listened to it almost 5-10 times now and I'm still not impressed or moved to change my 3/5 to 5/5/. It seems so shallow and bragadocious with no really deep conceptualization with the exception of a few tracks. Some songs are short and barely make 3 mins if you take out the hooks and musical interludes. Everyone is saying the production is god when in actuality it seems like they threw vocal chops from James Brown in randomly. A lot of the samples are well known or really recent. I think as soon as something else comes out that I can listen to, it'll get forgotten.

"Hov' on that new sh*t, n*ggas like "How come?/"
n*ggas want my old sh*t, buy my old albums"-- (plays The Black Album CD)
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 46
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 43
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 34
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 26
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 24
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 15
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
45 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 10
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
63 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
64 comments
2 days ago
@gear
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy