most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
102 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
76 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
11114 pageviews
151 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,848 | Props total: 4149 4149
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - FIRST REACTIONS

If there has been any film that was the underdog since it was first announced, it was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". First, people mocked the decision to create CG apes instead of costumes & make-up. Then, people mocked the film's ungainly name (even though it is a clear nod to the previous films). And, for the most part, no one particularly asked for another POTA film, especially in the wake of Tim Burton's... um, abomination...

So, now that people have seen the film (which see its own release this friday), critics have chimed in. Thus far, the consensus seems to be that the film is smart, emotional, steeped in science-fiction, and exciting. The praise is drawn mostly to the visuals from WETA, Andy Serkis' performance as "Caesar", and the curious decision to have Caesar be the main character, and not necessarily the humans..... Let's take a look below, and see what critics have been saying through reviews & twitter...

I saw ROTPOTA at a press screening, and I wanted to cheer, but I had to restrain myself. I get the feeling they all wanted to do the same... I'll admit, I cried like 4 times in RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. I have no shame. sh*t choked me up... And Andy Serkis? He gives one of the best performances of the year, hands down.

[pic - click to view]

Twitter

an overall successful film, with some great character work brought to the Apes, some mostly brilliant effects to bring them to life and a really great finale that makes you root for the apes and the downfall of the bastard humans.... Rise of the Planet of the Apes works as escapism and good storytelling. It's a tentpole with something on its mind other than just fan service.

[pic - click to view]

Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is really, really good. Really good... What's great about APES: the apes. They work, completely and totally. They are the heart and life of the film. The humans... less so.

[pic - click to view]

Twitter

Up there with some of the best franchise reboots; anyone seeing it, whether they're a fan of the previous movies or not, will leave it hoping it does well enough to warrant more.

[pic - click to view]

The Weekend Warrior: August 5 - 7 - ComingSoon.net

What makes this work above and beyond its place in the franchise is that it would still be a completely satisfying picture even if there were no other films in the series. It works as a complete film, and it works in a way that is very, very difficult to pull off...

Technically, the film's great. Wyatt has a sharp eye for composition and he stages his scenes efficiently, leaving himself room to play certain moments for all they're worth. He picks his emotional beats to hammer home, and he pays them off...

This, however, is an example of a prequel moment, a turning point, that I never thought I really needed or wanted to see on film that turned out to be a pleasure, a smart and grown-up science-fiction thriller that honors the name it carries. Like "X-Men: First Class," this suggests a world I'd want to see more of, and it raises exciting storytelling questions that I hope Fox will answer, provided the audience turns out for this one. It's worth it, and it's exciting to see them get this property this right after almost fifteen years of toying with some of these story elements.

[pic - click to view]

Review: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is smart, character-driven science fiction - HitFix.com

Despite narrative flaws, this is the most entertaining spectacle-adventure of the summer, boasting a splendid performance from Andy Serkis, this time as star.

[pic - click to view]

Welcome to Emanuel Levy » Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Ohh yes it’s true, Rise of the Planet of the Apes may just be the best movie of the summer. Loved it so much. Andy Serkis is so amazing!

[pic - click to view]

Twitter

Rise of the Planet of the Apes vindicates this summer movie season. It will surprise you. It's worth your time and money.

[pic - click to view]

Twitter

The best movies you never see coming. Into the Age of Anxiety comes this redux of the familiar Planet of the Apes series which relies heavily on that familiarity as it charges forward into uncharted territory. That territory is part breathtaking technology, part human self-loathing for what we’ve done, who we’ve become and our own despairing hopelessness about our future, and part rumination of the animal within: it all vibrates and quakes in this, one of 2011′s best films.

[pic - click to view]

Unleashed: The Rise of the Planet of the Apes is 2011′s Best Film so Far | Awards Daily

Rise of the Planet of the Apes will be in theaters this friday.

151 comments for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes - FIRST REACTIONS"

08-03-2011, 08:13 PM         #2
DOOMage 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
So far so good on Rottentomatoes
 6 years ago '05        #3
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 DOOMage said:
So far so good on Rottentomatoes
Yeah, I'll be seeing it this weekend.... Couldn't get into an advanced screening.
 6 years ago '04        #4
:Z: 
space
space
$1,073 | Props total: 153 153
Might go to the midnight screening of this..
 6 years ago '06        #5
Jhnnyblz427 175 heat pts175
space
space
$35,339 | Props total: 18306 18306
dvd..
 6 years ago '10        #6
freshprinceoba 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,318 | Props total: 13 13

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '09        #7
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,548 | Props total: 3843 3843
actually made my mind up to go see this in the theatres this weekend...
strange enough out here in Jamaica we usually get new movies on Wednesdays when u guys get it on Friday, but this 1 isn't coming out until friday
 6 years ago '05        #8
mattdogg444 
space
space
$14,498 | Props total: 719 719
gunna go sometime next week for sure
 6 years ago '08        #9
H Class 
space
space
$1,473 | Props total: 119 119
Trailer always looked promising. I'ma check it out this weekend though.
 6 years ago '05        #10
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,470 | Props total: 7121 7121
85 on RT after 27 reviews :dancingcool:

Pleasant surprise for me in that regard.
 6 years ago '04        #11
OnTheReal 
space
space
$4,220 | Props total: 495 495
Looked pretty damn good just from the previews.
 08-04-2011, 07:23 AM         #12
DOOMage 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Reppindaburghh said:
85 on RT after 27 reviews :dancingcool:

Pleasant surprise for me in that regard.
Ditto.

I mean, the trailers so far have been great and all but I'm always skeptical with reboots/prequels/sequels and remakes so it had me on the fence wondering if it was just a great trailer followed by a poor movie. Looks like they've nailed it for the most part.

Now I've just gotta find someone that is willing to skip out on the nice weather and go see a flick.
 6 years ago '07        #13
theFREAK 3685 heat pts3685
space
space
$53,745 | Props total: 38636 38636
Will be seeing this by myself next week
 6 years ago '10        #14
Jruk2345 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,210 | Props total: 241 241
bart scott :cool-smiley-009:
 6 years ago '07        #15
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,797 | Props total: 14598 14598
 LowaEastSide5 said:
dvd..
Yea ill wait too I'm just not too interested. I'm sure its decent though I'm pulling a Reppin on this one
 6 years ago '05        #16
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,470 | Props total: 7121 7121
 TH35 said:
Yea ill wait too I'm just not too interested. I'm sure its decent though I'm pulling a Reppin on this one
 6 years ago '05        #17
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
..cool
 6 years ago '05        #18
space
space
It marks a major advance over Avatar, for it allows the motion-capture actors and the "real" ones to interact in natural locations — in the wild, so to speak — beyond Avatar's enclosed fantasyland of the planet Pandora. Technical innovation is sometimes yoked to leaden narratives, but Wyatt and his collaborators made sure to wed their visual strategies to potent themes. The result is a work of high, often thrilling popular art.
 6 years ago '04        #19
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,923 | Props total: 17525 17525
first movie in a while i really want to see
 6 years ago '05        #20
space
space
When I got home from Rise of the Planet of the Apes I sat on my couch in an unexpected afterglow. I did not expect this movie to be this good.
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
88 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
72 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
53 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
195 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
The Overwatch Community Is fu-ked Up.
37 comments
18 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
122 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy