most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
79 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
6628 pageviews
36 comments

Ari Gold 315 heat pts315
space
space
$15,213 | Props total: 1185 1185
Sway Calloway Reveals His Extensive MTV Duties, Balancing Several Jobs

[pic - click to view]

Earlier this month, HipHopDX spoke to MTV's Sway Calloway, as he began his tenure as head of Shade 45's morning show. During that conversation, Sway was also asked about his various duties, for MTV and otherwise, since the days of he and King Tech's seminal Wake Up Show.

Many Hip Hop fans might know Sway for his role in introducing artists like Crooked I and Eminem to the mainstream, or see him interviewing Jay-Z and Nas together, or Solar after Guru's death. However, Sway, who recently contributed to The Source magazine and co-executive produced Saigon's The Greatest Story Never Told is involved in plenty. We asked him how he manages.

HipHopDX: I have always wanted to ask you, how do you find time to sleep? Going coast-to-coast how do you manage to do so much?

Sway Calloway: That Wake Up Show [bi-coastal era] was pretty crazy back in the day. When you brought that up I almost cringed. I used to jump on a plane on Saturday at 6 a.m. out of JFK [National Airport] to land around 9 and then [King Tech and I] would go do The Wake Up Show and sometimes we would record for hours - the whole weekend, and the next day Iím flying back to New York to get back to MTV. But then there was a point when I was doing HOT 97ís morning show so I would fly out, do The Wake Up Show on the weekends, catch a red-eye Sunday nights, land, go straight to HOT 97, do that everyday and then do MTV during the day. That was crazy.

[My obligations now are] a labor of love, so itís a little different in that sense, for one. [Secondly], MTV and Sirius XM are only four blocks away from each other [in New York City], but the show is from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Eight a.m. isnít a hard make, and I get up early anyway, and so I donít think itís going to be hard to manage because itís a time in my day when I will be active anyway. Plus, itís not the same pressures as conventional radio because itís not a ratings system or anything like that; we just get subscribers. They havenít figured out how to rate that, so I donít have to necessarily prove anything, and so in most cases if you take care of the physical, itís the mental exhaustion that you have to be more worried about. I'ma sleep right, I'ma eat right, I'ma jog, I'ma exercise and itís really not too much to handle. Nick Cannon got a way heavier schedule than me [laughing] so Iím not going to worry about it. Iíll be fine.

DX: I was watching something on MTV recently, and you were backstage hanging out with the case of the Jersey Shore and Life As Liz, and you were clearly up on what was happening in both series. Can you tell the Hip Hop audience out there a little about what you do that goes above and beyond "Hip Hop Sway"?

Sway Calloway: Phew. [Laughs] I think itís fair to say Iíve become the face of MTV and with that, Iím also the liaison between what MTV once was, what MTV is, and what MTV is moving to become. So I accept the liaison between all these worlds so a lot of times Iím the spokesperson. Like for example, weíve got our VMA press conference for the 2011 VMAís [coming up]; Iíll be hosting that. When we did our town-hall meetings during the mid-term elections with President Obama, I moderated that. If we do any award show, Iím always on the red carpet conducting that. When we do our up-fronts where we are spelling our channel to the advertisers, where we tell them what we plan on doing coming up next season or what we are have planned to make sure that the advertising bucks are being well-spent on programming, Iím the guy hosting that event. When it comes to breaking news or when something happens or when someone passes away or something big happens, Iím the guy who may deliver that. When it comes to doing interviews, just to kind of give some sort of new players thatís on the channel like Jersey Shore or [Life As Liz] or Teenwolf or whatever it may be, Iím the kind of guy they call on to introduce them to the audience as well, as to the staff and to the advertisers. And then we have the shows that we create with my team with Rahman Dukes and Rob Markman and our Hip Hop team here, like RapFix and Mixtape Mondays and "The Fab 5" thing we do on MTV Jams and a lot of the synergy we do with MTV 2 and Sucker Free.

Sway Calloway now hosts Shade 45's morning show, from 8 a.m. EST to 12 p.m. EST on weekdays.

36 comments for "Sway Calloway Reveals His Extensive MTV Duties, Balancing Several Jobs"

6 years ago '07        #2
1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177
space
space
$24,900 | Props total: 1144 1144
I wonder how much dude is worth
 6 years ago '05        #3
Ari Gold 315 heat pts315 OP
space
space
$15,213 | Props total: 1185 1185
 1LynguisticMind said:
I wonder how much dude is worth
More than Joe Budden
 6 years ago '04        #4
Yung C 
space
space
$1,370 | Props total: 33 33
sway a vet in the game! :applause: jack of all trades
 6 years ago '08        #5
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,530 | Props total: 17155 17155
What is under that hat?

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #6
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
this n*gga cut his dreads but he still rockin a kufi
 6 years ago '11        #7
HCMoney 12 heat pts12
space
space
$1,769 | Props total: 877 877
 The N said:
What is under that hat?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Dude's from Jupiter.
 6 years ago '04        #8
The_Most_H8ed 
space
space
$1,269 | Props total: 1237 1237
sway is a legend...he is exactly what he says he is..."the liaison between what MTV once was, what MTV is, and what MTV is moving to become"...not only for MTV but hip-hop as well...hes respected by 90's hip hop heads as well as today's up and comers...:agreement6:
 6 years ago '05        #9
Flatbush85 53 heat pts53
space
space
$14,381 | Props total: 668 668
I got love for Sway and his respect position in hip hop but he aint about to sway my feelings about the current MTV.
 6 years ago '07        #10
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
 The N said:
What is under that hat?

[pic - click to view]

I guess we'll NEVER kno..
 6 years ago '07        #11
notic99 25 heat pts25
space
space
$7,584 | Props total: 0 0
 itzjmoney510 said:
More than Joe Budden
overly used smiley
 6 years ago '04        #12
DavidMSaze 
space
space
space
$914 | Props total: 133 133
you cant be mad at sway. hes just one of those cool dudes lol
 07-28-2011, 03:27 AM         #13
Marvin Hagler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Yung C said:
sway a vet in the game! :applause: jack of all trades

aye my uncle put me on this sh*t watch this yall

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #14
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,378 | Props total: 463 463
Sway more then paid his dues, that's why he has that respect from not just the hip hop community but from errrrybody
 6 years ago '06        #15
illathruz 65 heat pts65
space
space
$6,505 | Props total: 2306 2306
one of his first and greatest interviews:

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #16
DIPSET101 28 heat pts28
space
space
$9,855 | Props total: 8814 8814
 karr153 said:
I got love for Sway and his respect position in hip hop but he aint about to sway my feelings about the current MTV.
I see what you did there
 6 years ago '10        #17
JudasHatesJesus 146 heat pts146
space
space
$6,988 | Props total: 3769 3769

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #18
TniaS 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,490 | Props total: 720 720
 Marvin Hagler said:
aye my uncle put me on this sh*t watch this yall

hahah I liked that sh*t! Everybody was usin that style then lol

Sway is a hard worker... I heard MTV doesnt pay well tho?
 6 years ago '04        #19
DezCaughtIt 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,179 | Props total: 32 32
so this dude works straight for viacom.. and no one mentioned illuminati..
 6 years ago '05        #20
midaztouch 50 heat pts50
space
space
$1,920 | Props total: 214 214
i thought it was tinytankx

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
167 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
90 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
227 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy