*Throwback* Jay Z Crying on Hot 97 After Hearing Ether

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
141 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
72 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #181
uddart 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,694 | Props total: 19 19
 Karamu said:
i'm not gonna argue long on whether Hov got bodied or not, I prefer Takeover as a diss alone simply because his verse on Nas was all facts whereas Ether was facts mixed with lies, mixed with just blatant sh*t talking.

Pac is the deepest dude raps heard of, theres no arguing there. But theres not much Pac was amazing at besides being deep. He was consistent yeah, he was a good album crafter yeah. As an emcee all he really had going for him was charisma, emotion, and story telling. Which don't get me wrong, are great aspects for a rap artist, but still lacking. Such as rhyme schemes, versatile flows, creativity, an artistic vision, etc. Biggie and Pac both had a huge impact on the streets in about the same time, only difference is it took Pac longer to do so than BIG. And theres not much arguing in that
When did 2pacs impact take start? Dont forget who helped Biggie come to the top? Biggie had great talent no doubt, but he didnt make it to the top by him fu*king self. That is fu*king ignorant sh*t, 2pac said it. Biggie said it.
 6 years ago '04        #182
Magnificent Phoenix|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$7,120 | Props total: 229 229
 RYLNYC said:
Word, remember when he was hot?

Nas stans lost for not knowing how to spell 'biter'.

He clearly wasn't crying. "Ether" bodied Jay-Z, granted. Arguably the greatest diss track of all time. Nas is a legend before and after that track. All facts (not really, just most popular opinions).

Jay still has 12/12 platinum albums, at least 4 critically-accepted classics, still relevant to this day after over 15 years in the game, still influential.

Nas is paying $50,000/month in child support to an undeserving ugly broad and is constantly getting pushed back by a record label that was previously run by the same dude he bodied on "Ether."

I'll forever be a Nas fan, I have nothing but respect and appreciation for him as an artist and I always support him, but when it comes down to it overall, Jay-Z will go down as the greatest hip hop artist of our time in my opinion.

Jay-Z/Nas discussions are always dope and enlightening until the stans run in and f-ck sh-t up.

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #183
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
$36,397 | Props total: 13063 13063
 Karamu said:
Vol. 3 is easily Jay's worst album,
 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM         #184
yeugkk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lmao

at the end of the day, every single line Nas spit on ether was relevant and prophetic of jay's ways

didnt they have a vote on hot 97 after jay dropped his 2 disses and nas dropped ether, and nas won??

people forgot but the history will remember
 6 years ago '04        #185
Cutty Olds 7 heat pts
space
space
$16,464 | Props total: 6619 6619
 JimDinO77 said:
so u prefer H.A.M. over or

i guess nas has to get on a luger beat for n*ggas to feel em ... he's grown up opposed to rappin' about his glory days movin' weight...he fukked up with the bi*ches and he fell short as a businessman but he's human.... he chose to be positive but good guys finish last, if he would of stayed on that oochie wally sh*t he might have more wealth and a badder bi*ch...but n*ggas should really respect what he does music wise <---this rant wasn't directed to the n*gga i quoted but @ the nas hate, he's one of the last real n*ggas in the game (as far as NY sh*t goes)
I prefer the eover those

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Im a Jay-Z FAN but yo...Nas fans are some Johnny Come lately a.ss n*ggas man...Nas has dropped some solid material his entire career...I don't know what these n*ggas expect out of him for real
 6 years ago '11        #186
CoochieCrook 
space
space
$2,934 | Props total: 2734 2734
 Karamu said:
i'd take crying on the radio over getting my baby mother fu*ked
Guess what dumbass. If your baby mama is not your girlfriend or wife, she'll be fu*king someone else. Only kids think like you.
 07-16-2011, 11:35 PM         #187
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nas lost for paying 50 k to kelis for child support

Jay won for making his brand as influential and profitable as he is

Though the Jay has the accolades and awards to back him up....I just dig Nas as the better artist overall. I jam to his songs, remember his lyrics and connect with him a whole lot better than Jay. I still [ ] with Jay but I perfer Nas's discography over Jays
 6 years ago '04        #188
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,562 | Props total: 2834 2834
how is it n*ggas could be talking about ether and takeover

and end up talking about how much Nas pays in childs support vs how much of a share Jay own in the Nets?

hip-hop lost with you younger n*ggas meng. . .Now all the sudden being a btter businessman counts when discussing whos the better MC or who won the battle. . .

Both of them n*ggas have been wildly successful rappers with long careers. Jay been platinum 12 time, Nas 7. Does it really make sense to say Jay is better because he went plat more times?

lol@ the n*gga who said nas only got 1 classic in his catalog also. . .When nas was the first solo artist to get 5 mics in the source twice, not on no revised ratings sh*t either.

When n*ggas coming up like lupe cite IWW as the album that influenced them the most. . .

Nas = GOAT
Ether = 2nd best diss of all time (also almost all factual)
 6 years ago '09        #189
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,458 | Props total: 11307 11307
i am a big fan of jay, but come on now, he is no where close to the artist that Nas is

its ok to be a fan, but when n*ggas like illsteet (especially that n*gga) just go into every jay or nas thread to hate on nas, then u know that ether burns slow

he always says nas is his 3rd favorite mc, but thats just a cop out to make it seem like he bein unbiased, when he really just defendin jay, very sad i know
 6 years ago '04        #190
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
Also, the same n*gga said that illmatic is a classic but not timeless

but in the past year theres been 2 full fledged attempts to pay homage to how great illmatic is (elzhi and fashawn) damn near TWENTY years after the fact. Has any other album gotten that kind of respect from rappers of the next generation?

RD is a classic, but its not on the echelon that Illmatic is. The the point where you shoudnt even compare the two. RD compares better with IWW
 07-17-2011, 02:26 AM         #191
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RYLNYC said:
I'll give you It Was Written and Stillmatic, fair enough. That's it, if we're talking "at the most strictest." Never did I say ALL of Jay's albums are classics, no need to twist my words. All of Jay's albums are consistently dope for the most part though and critically acclaimed.
So now you agree It Was Written and Stillmatic were critical albums after all? Noted. So your first point has been taken apart next.

RYLNYC said:
I wasn't comparing personal life to recording success. I was comparing personal life to personal life and recording success to success. You want to keep misinterpreting what I write, that's fine, but don't try and use it against me in your rebuttal. The point is, when it comes to both recording success and personal life (whatever amount of personal life the media and public knows), it's safe to say Jay wins in both aspects. So again, I say it: OVERALL, Jay won the war. The only argument that can be brought up is music/lyricism, and again, that's debatable on both ends and there are absolutely zero facts proving neither Nas nor Jay-Z as the victor.
You compared Nas's child support issue to Jay-Z's career success. How are those points comparable? Normally you compare career to career and personal life to life. Its out of scope and clearly was used just to come sideways, I get it. There's really nothing misinterpreted, that was your point. I think if you compare their personal and career lives, Jay might be more famous but I dont think Nas exactly loses either with the career

RYLNYC said:
Okay, cool. Never said Nas was a complete failure. Again, you're misconstruing my post(s).
For me to say Jay-Z is one of the smartest and most successful businessmen to come out of Hip Hop never implied that Nas is a dumbass. I'm well aware of most of Nas's endeavors that you mentioned, but I do appreciate you schooling me on the ones I didn't know.

Is Nas an intelligent and successful business man? Yes, to an extent. Is he as good or better than Jay-Z in that aspect? Not even close. That's my point. Nas is great, Jay-Z is better.
Again your point was to compare Jay's career stats to Nas's divorce stats, how is someone suppose to construt that point exactly?
And even if you compare Nas to Jay on those things I would still say The Gurellia Union business move is pretty impressive within itself because its Nas designing a tour year in and year. out Could Jay do that and manage all those egos? He's done it a couple of times but not with volatile personalties aside form the Hard Knock Life Tour. So even in those things Nas can get a leg up on certain aspects.

RYLNYC said:

Word? It got reduced? Is he only paying $20K now? Good for him. That's only what? Half of the average American's yearly salary... a month.

To say Jay has problems is a given, his just happen to be a bit more manageable than Nas' sh-t. It's pretty evident that Jay has personal problems, so does Beyonce, so does Nas, so do you, so do I, and everyone else in this world probably.

My argument isn't Jay is better because he has more money. My argument is that overall, with everything into consideration, Jay is the better artist who made smarter moves and trumped his opponent(s). If you want to focus on one particular category (lyricism), you can pick either side and you'd be right, it's not worth arguing over.
And you dont think getting the alimony reduced and staying out of jail for tax isnt Nas managing his problems? I think if he's still here and not locked up like Scarface, he has manage them well. And if you say everyone has personal problems then that again negates that comparison.

If you wanted to argue that Jay is smarter as a businessmen , a more constructive argument could be made rather than comparing the divorce. Again its out of scope.

RYLNYC said:
I don't like Jay-Z because he's a "brand," I like him more because he makes better music in my opinion. Simple. I RESPECT him though as a brand; Jay is the epitome of 'from nothing to something' -- to go from a stick-up kid in the 80's in the hood to a music mogul who's worth 9 figures.

I don't appreciate you comparing me to these ignorant knuckleheads who're persuaded by gimmicks and f-ckery. I personally like Jay-Z more than Nas for his music, but I can also explain why Jay is the better overall artist.
Well if that's the case its even less reason to bring up the business aspect to the two. His rise is impressive, he's also not the only person to rise and create some form of success within Hip Hop culture.
You dont have to appreciate it but you do realize how that can be seen as arrogant. And people do buy into brands, you did it in your argument for Jay when addressing his successes that's asll.
 6 years ago '04        #192
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
Bruh...

RYLNYC said:
I wasn't comparing personal life to recording success. I was comparing personal life to personal life and recording success to success. You want to keep misinterpreting what I write, that's fine, but don't try and use it against me in your rebuttal. The point is, when it comes to both recording success and personal life (whatever amount of personal life the media and public knows), it's safe to say Jay wins in both aspects. So again, I say it: OVERALL, Jay won the war. The only argument that can be brought up is music/lyricism, and again, that's debatable on both ends and there are absolutely zero facts proving neither Nas nor Jay-Z as the victor.
 Prophecy_projet said:
You compared Nas's child support issue to Jay-Z's career success. How are those points comparable? Normally you compare career to career and personal life to life. Its out of scope and clearly was used just to come sideways, I get it. There's really nothing misinterpreted, that was your point. I think if you compare their personal and career lives, Jay might be more famous but I dont think Nas exactly loses either with the career.
You compare business-to-business, Jay-Z wins. You compare personal-to-personal, Jay-Z wins.

With that pointed out, this is clearly going nowhere.

My point was that overall, Jay-Z won. If you don't clearly see how Jay won overall, then I dunno what to tell you. He's the better business man, he's more relevant in this day and age, he has more control over his music releases, he sells more, what else is there?

Like I said 30 times before, the only debatable aspect that Nas can possibly win is lyricism. But if you want to talk "GOAT", you have to take EVERYTHING both artists accomplished into consideration, thus why I brought up all the previous points from success to personal life and everything in between.
 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM         #193
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RYLNYC said:
Bruh...

You compare business-to-business, Jay-Z wins. You compare personal-to-personal, Jay-Z wins.

With that pointed out, this is clearly going nowhere..

My point was that overall, Jay-Z won. If you don't clearly see how Jay won overall, then I dunno what to tell you. He's the better business man, he's more relevant in this day and age, he has more control over his music releases, he sells more, what else is there?

Like I said 30 times before, the only debatable aspect that Nas can possibly win is lyricism. But if you want to talk "GOAT", you have to take EVERYTHING both artists accomplished into consideration, thus why I brought up all the previous points from success to personal life and everything in between.
They're not competing with each other on that level of personal life and business so I dont see why we're even talking about "wins." Do you honestly think Nas thinks about Jay's business moves and which women he's with like that? The battle was always about lyricism was it not? So where did this other stuff come from? Its like people who like Jay-Z more bring that up when talking about the battle to make themselves feel good, it really doesnt make sense. If we're going by paper and status then Russell Simmons and Diddy are the GOATs lol

But lets be real though: That wasnt even what your original point was about, it was just using the same old "Jay is rich and famous and Nas has to pay child support" crack which is kind of lazy at this point and doesn't really attribute nothing to the core of the debate unless one wants to feel good about Jay (Which is why I say again: People do buy into the aspirations of rappers. More people rush to the point of his riches when talking about him being compared to other rappers rather than talent ability). Well, that and questioning Nas's business acumen and if he ever had a classic outside of Illmatic, which of course was straightened out.

Of course stuff like this never goes anywhere, because its just one person not developing their point but still sticking to it despite having to be corrected by their own admission.
 6 years ago '04        #194
Big Moon Dawg 
space
space
$3,126 | Props total: 1 1
thats it i've seen this muhfu*kin thread over 100 times now i'm quittin this site. moon dawg signing out fu*k ya life son, a n*gga vexed

07-17-2011, 07:55 AM         #195
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UrbanEnterprise said:
its ok to be a fan, but when n*ggas like illsteet (especially that n*gga) just go into every jay or nas thread to hate on nas, then u know that ether burns slow

he always says nas is his 3rd favorite mc, but thats just a cop out to make it seem like he bein unbiased, when he really just defendin jay, very sad i know
Son, how the fukk are you gonna tell me who my favorite MC's are or aren't just because it doesn't go in line with your Staning of Nas????

It's not my fault that you can't comprehend being a huge fan of Nas and still not act like he's some unfailable Messiah, and can acrually feel that Jay is a better overall MC(which he is).

And everytime you see me you say I go into every Nas and Jay thread and defend Jay... But that's just because my small amount of real posts damage your Staning heart and stay with you everytime you see em... You fan club joining a.ss f*ggot...

I go into every Nas and Jay thread and defend Jay?... I haven't even logged onto this forom in like 3 fukkin Months until the other day ... And I'm only here now cause I injured my foot... Check the posts... And even when I am here I spend 95% of my time in the Sportscenter and the Movie and TV Section... And yet you remember me(cause I guess I seriously hurt your feelings with some real sh*t somewhere along the way about your hero Nas) but I have no fukking clue who your are????

"I know I inspire you, but Stan, Why are you so mad????????"

Log off and go outside and see the sun you pathetic loser... It's Summertime, there real life girls out there.
 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM         #196
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 abstractq said:
Also, the same n*gga said that illmatic is a classic but not timeless

but in the past year theres been 2 full fledged attempts to pay homage to how great illmatic is (elzhi and fashawn) damn near TWENTY years after the fact. Has any other album gotten that kind of respect from rappers of the next generation?

RD is a classic, but its not on the echelon that Illmatic is. The the point where you shoudnt even compare the two. RD compares better with IWW
T.I.'s "Trap Muzik"(widely considered a classic), although not a direct homage to "Reasonable Doubt", has it's influence clearly stamped all over it... Even to the point of being nick named by many critics as "The Southern Reasonable Doubt".

And oh yeah... That's a high selling Classic album by a top teir artist... Not a mixtape by a couple of Rapper's who 8 out of 10 people on the street wouldn't even know.
 6 years ago '05        #197
WaveDoe 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$5,256 | Props total: 0 0

[video - click to view]

This k!lled jay for me....

[video - click to view]

4:16

Damn ether is something fu*king else though.
 6 years ago '06        #198
davon4204 34 heat pts34
space
space
$16,172 | Props total: 1613 1613
 O D said:
yo that papoose verse was fu*ken dope as fu*k

Yeah i wanna know what song that's from.
 6 years ago '04        #199
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
 Illstreet said:
T.I.'s "Trap Muzik"(widely considered a classic), although not a direct homage to "Reasonable Doubt", has it's influence clearly stamped all over it... Even to the point of being nick named by many critics as "The Southern Reasonable Doubt".

And oh yeah... That's a high selling Classic album by a top teir artist... Not a mixtape by a couple of Rapper's who 8 out of 10 people on the street wouldn't even know.

lol@ n*ggas shaping and moldin the argument

we talking influence now? Cause if so I could go into detail about the effect Illmatic had on the game and hip-hop in general. From the way n*ggas rhyme, to the subject matter, to the way producers and MCs collaborate for albums. You n*ggas really have no idea. . .

Illmatic currently has two full books written about it. And not some sh*t Nas wrote himself. Its only a few albums in all of hip hop that I would even put near that level. OB4CL maybe, Paid In Full, It Takes a Nation of Millions, and a handful of others

And the only place I ever heard Trap Musik called the southern RD is here. Also, thats a sh*tty comparison to Jays album. . .
 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM         #200
Trill Clinton 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Karamu said:

American Gangster > Stillmatic(overrated on forums like these)
Oh hell naw.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
21 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
98 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
51 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
81 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
184 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy