Bachelors of Criminal Justice?

most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
29 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
77 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
60 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #1
6480 pageviews
46 comments

Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
$3,332 | Props total: 19 19
Bachelors of Criminal Justice?

Do you all think it is worth pursuing? I hear many people say that it is and many others do not. What's your input on it?

46 comments for "Bachelors of Criminal Justice?"

6 years ago '10        #2
eightytyson06 39 heat pts39
space
space
$16,745 | Props total: 8674 8674
i did it then i stopped.....i stopped because the students who were taking the degree were all doing it as a last resort and didnt seem smart at all.....so i switched to business but it can be worth it if you get a government job
 6 years ago '06        #3
introspekt757 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,749 | Props total: 62 62
I have a BS in Criminal Justice & a BS in Sociology (currently working on the masters) and work in the field. Criminal Justice is a dead end for the most part if you don't have an internship or plan on pursuing an advanced diploma. Most of the careers won't pay more than 45k (atleast where I live) upon graduation and that's if you get an opportunity to interview (there are literraly tons of Criminal Justice grads out there) for a government job. Like every other degree it is in your BEST interests to determine your trajectory before you start taking degree-specific courses. Are you trying to do corrections, forensic science, probation/parole, police work, public policy, legal, social? With the exception of corrections, police & probation you need an advanced diploma to pursue those career paths. And corrections & police officers don't need degrees at all. If that's your choice why go to school. The amount you'd spend on a degree would be less than the amount of raises you could get in 4years starting out without one.

My own personal advice is this..
#1 Volunteer/get an intership NOW.. like right nowtrust you'll thank me later. If you volunteer for the duration of your college experience you will have 3-5 years of relevant experience on your resume which will seperate you from the run of the mill grad. Additionally thnink of all the contacts, resources and professionals you will meet while you are volunterring.
#2 Pursue certifications outside of your degree this can be anything from Mediation & Alterniative Dispute Resolution, Forensics, Security, CPR, Handle With Care, etc..
#3 Don't get anything less than a B, lets be real Criminal Justice classes are easy the tests are essentially common sense and the theorys are simple enough. If you wanna go the federal route you need experience within the field & good grades because EVERYONE wants to be a Fed. Keepyourself ahead of the pack
#4 Double Major, this will save your life. Get a relateable field this will open up extra doors for you in the long run. Right now Human Services (Psychology, Sociology, Human Services, Social Work) is where it's at.
#5 Ask grads in your area, you can't trust your Academic Advisor, they work for the school so with the exception of a select few they could care less if you pass or fail becaue at the end of the day the'yre still getting paid. Ask some graduates of criminal justice at your prospective college what they're doing and their resume. If you can't find anyone with a job in that field that should be a red flag there.
$6 Go to a community college 1st, and take every single class you need to take under 300 level and then transfer. Why pay 1000s when you can pay 100s?

Last edited by introspekt757; 07-14-2011 at 07:14 AM..
 6 years ago '08        #4
Keith504 42 heat pts42 OP
space
space
$3,332 | Props total: 19 19
Thank you man! Im DEFINITELY gonna take all of your advice! Props shall be rewarded to you for the knowledge you gave.
 6 years ago '06        #5
introspekt757 5 heat pts
space
space
No prob man i learned it the hard way, so i try to share what i picked up.. how much is your tuition v. how much the job you plan on getting is an important thing to consider btw..

for example where i live..
police officer (30k, 33k with degree)
Paralegal (31k with degree)
probation officer (33k with degree)
Counselor (33k with degree)
Security Guard (22k without degree)
Prison Guard (35k with degree)
Legal a.ssistant (35k with advanced degree)
Criminal Justice Adjunct Professor (40k with advanced degree)
FBI Agent (49k with degree)
ADR/Mediator (40-80/hour, with degree & certification)

..considering debt from loans or if you pay out of pocket you might actually be better off without a degree that's why i say determine your trajectory 1st.

Last edited by introspekt757; 07-14-2011 at 07:50 AM..
 6 years ago '06        #6
Sammyboi22 
space
space
$13,620 | Props total: 230 230
sh*t round here a police officer pulls in around 49 to start.

I have BS in CJS and its tough out here man. No ones retiring and when they do they arent hiring new ones. Experience is huge so military guys get a leg up on everyone. I interned with the US marshals and still didnt get sh*t. Your better off interning at a local police department and getting linked with them after because they can actually offer you a job. THe marshals cant get anyone a job. They are selected carefully by the state marshal.

Id go business or IT.
 6 years ago '11        #7
UTP 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,674 | Props total: 359 359
It's what I'm working on now. Like some else said I took all the classes at a CC got my AA transferred and working towards my bachelors.
 6 years ago '06        #8
imthatinfamous 39 heat pts39
space
space
$7,997 | Props total: 3482 3482
join the Military, do your 4 years, get your bachelors in criminal justice.

The only way
 6 years ago '06        #9
introspekt757 5 heat pts
space
space
^what are yall doing with your degree because i didnt know you need a degree to be a cop unless youre a Federal Agent or State Trooper

sn: I don't recommend getting a.ssociates instead take all the classes necessary to transfer and then do so.
 6 years ago '06        #10
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
get your a.ssociates at community college then get your bachelors then go to the military so you can enlist as an officer.
 6 years ago '06        #11
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,482 | Props total: 17926 17926
 hooligun said:
get your a.ssociates at community college then get your bachelors then go to the military so you can enlist as an officer.
Ive heard theres so many people trying to be officers in the military its almost impossible
 07-16-2011, 09:11 PM         #12
aman007 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
come to canada theres always openings in our military and very good pay.
 6 years ago '06        #13
Sammyboi22 
space
space
If you dont have a 4.0 in your bachelors program your not going officer. You gotta enlist and the earliest dude told me I could get in would be Dec of 2011. Then its a year to maybe get into the officer school. If not its like 17,000 a year to be in the military.

Basically unless your going for a specific position right out of college with lots of work experience you dont need a CJS degree. You can be a cop with or without a degree. A degree helps but military exp with a clean record>>bachelors degree no exp.
 07-16-2011, 11:01 PM         #14
illicitx 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Major in Information Technology.

Go with the progression of demand in society.

If you ain't in Medicine or Technology related demand then you are limiting your options.
 6 years ago '07        #15
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
My lady just graduated with a BS in Criminal Justice. She's planning to be an investigator. She's into all that CSI sh*t.
 6 years ago '05        #16
I_REP_VA 10 heat pts10
space
space
$7,726 | Props total: 1873 1873
I don't fuk with no snitches
 6 years ago '06        #17
introspekt757 5 heat pts
space
space
Criminal Justice Degree equals snitchin, who knew? Go figure..
 6 years ago '06        #18
Sammyboi22 
space
space
 Bullseye said:
My lady just graduated with a BS in Criminal Justice. She's planning to be an investigator. She's into all that CSI sh*t.
Good luck to her especially if she didn't intern with the investigations team and didn't double major in forensics.
 6 years ago '06        #19
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$8,752 | Props total: 3689 3689
IF YOU Can't pass a polygraph.. or have reservations about a poly ..... don't waste your time or money my 2 cents...
 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM         #20
StatisticZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have no degree or college got a security job that's gonna pay out to about 30k a year. No plans of getting a degree for now. I obtained a few security certifications through my job still got like 10 to go. I'm getting armed security and a few other things and just moving up. Yeah, it's a rent-a-cop thing but in DC metro area you're gonna make as much if not more as a metro cop if you have experience and get into armed security. I'm aiming for MTP now after I get all the sh*t I want..
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
150 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
224 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
67 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
155 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kojima explains death stranding gameplay and lore
21 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
55 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
197 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy