Fan returns 3,000th hit to Jeter, team rewards his generosity

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
29 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
100 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
269 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
74 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #21
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,248 | Props total: 1297 1297
God will strike him down for his ignorance.

God don't like people who failed 4th grade math.
 6 years ago '05        #22
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,737 | Props total: 12561 12561
If the guy was smart, he would sell those Suite tickets he recieved from the Yankee's to make up some of that money he lost by giving the ball away.
 6 years ago '07        #23
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,234 | Props total: 20028 20028
thats pretty tight, but i would of sold it lol. would of been like fu*k u jeter i know how much u make give me that $250,000 lol
 6 years ago '04        #24
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,753 | Props total: 13138 13138
Moronic fan lol. It was a decent package but he ain't gonna sell those tickets for face value
 6 years ago '05        #25
adh56 
space
space
$1,469 | Props total: 9 9
As a yankee fan im saying dudes a idiot. estimated 250k straight to my account at 23 > waiting for bats and jerseys to gain that kinda value
 6 years ago '09        #26
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,134 | Props total: 170 170
 Bea5T said:
Like I said...he would catch sh*t from everyone
I would tell everyone to S my D

and walk straight to the computer

EBAYYYYYYYYYY
 6 years ago '04        #27
Prodigy 36 heat pts36
space
space
$9,152 | Props total: 1 1
Yeah, if I woulda caught that ball... I'd be slowly making my way to the exit.

fu*k what anyone thinks. You do what's best for you and your family
 6 years ago '04        #28
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
Better than having to potential deal with this:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Before he celebrates his windfall, the New York Mets fan who emerged from a violent scrum clutching Barry Bonds' record-setting home run ball should probably call his accountant.

As soon as 21-year-old Matt Murphy snagged the valuable piece of sports history Tuesday night, his souvenir became taxable income in the eyes of the Internal Revenue Service, according to experts.

"It's an expensive catch," said John Barrie, a tax lawyer with Bryan Cave LLP in New York who grew up watching the Giants play at Candlestick Park. "Once he took possession of the ball and it was his ball, it was income to him based on its value as of yesterday,"

By most estimates, the ball that put Bonds atop the list of all-time home run hitters with 756 would sell in the half-million dollar range on the open market or at auction.

That would instantly put Murphy, a college student from Queens, in the highest tax bracket for individual income, where he would face a tax rate of about 35 percent, or about $210,000 on a $600,000 ball.

Even if he does not sell the ball, Murphy would still owe the taxes based on a reasonable estimate of its value, according to Barrie. Capital gains taxes also could be levied in the future as the ball gains value, he said.

On the other hand, he said, if the ongoing federal investigation into steroid abuse among professional athletes takes a criminal turn for Bonds, the ball's value could go down -- which would likely allow Murphy to claim a loss.

Not everyone concurs on Barrie's interpretation of the intersection between professional sports and the nation's tax code.

But for its part, the IRS seems reluctant to clear up the confusion. With six-figure treasures so rarely falling out of the sky, the agency declined to comment Wednesday on what regulations would apply and whether they would be enforced in the case of the Bonds ball.

History does not provide much of a guide since most fans who have been lucky enough to snag previous long balls have chosen to sell their mementos. And at least one ball was as much a source of embarrassment for the IRS as revenue.

As Mark McGwire chased the mark for most home runs in a season in 1998, IRS officials initially said the ball that broke Roger Maris' long-standing record could be subject to taxes even if it were returned to McGwire. The statements were ridiculed by politicians and quickly disavowed by the agency's top brass.

"All I know is that the fan who gives back the home run ball deserves a round of applause, not a big tax bill," then-IRS Commissioner Charles Rossotti said at the time.

Ultimately, Tim Forneris, a member of the St. Louis Cardinals grounds crew, recovered McGwire's 62nd home run ball. He turned it over to the Cardinals and received a trip to Disney World and a minivan in return.

Phil Ozersky, a Cardinals season-ticket holder, caught McGwire's 70th homer later that season and sold it in 1999 to comic book artist Todd McFarlane for $3 million.

A spokeswoman for the Giants said that as with any ball that enters the stands at AT&T Park, Bonds' 435-foot drive into the right-center field stands belonged to the person who caught it, so the team wouldn't seek its return. Bonds said he also had no interest in retrieving it.

Murphy, who went to the game during a layover from a flight to Australia, grew up near Shea Stadium and was wearing a Mets jersey when he made the charmed grab.

He told the New York Daily News he planned to keep 51 percent of the proceeds from the sale of the ball and would give the rest to his friend, Amir Kamal, 21, of New York, who was also at the game.

"I won the lottery," he told the newspaper. "I'm going to be smart about what I do with it."

Last edited by hockeythug; 07-10-2011 at 12:18 AM..
 6 years ago '04        #29
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 793 793
he's an idiot, I would have left that game so fast to put that sh*t up for auction...minimum bid, $100,000

fu*k jeter and fu*k the yankees, they're already rich, I'd be trying to get my piece of the pie...
 6 years ago '09        #30
JewsusChrist 211 heat pts211
space
space
space
$17,406 | Props total: 74 74
250k from who?
 07-10-2011, 12:26 AM         #31
Rendition 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I would've kept it

Maybe Jeter will give him something else when they meet
 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM         #32
illmatix 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
at all these responses.

Not one person who can applaud him for not giving a fu*k about money and just giving the ball back? He didn't work for that ball...he just happened to be sitting where jeter hit it.

Of course I'd rather have 250k but i aint gonna bash the guy for not being a greedy bastard like the rest of us
 07-10-2011, 12:36 AM         #33
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
yea they gave him stuff that costs nothing
That's stupid, of course the suite, tickets for four, food and drink, premium parking and an Interview on YES with Michael Kay would mean the world to a real fan.

fu*k money, give me those tickets
 6 years ago '04        #34
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 793 793
 FappingFapstar said:
250k from who?
there's some rich yankees fan or baseball memorabillia nut that'd pay that

it's the ball of the only yankee to get 3,000 hits and they usually bring in and push out free agents so it might not happen again by a guy that spent his entire time with the team
 07-10-2011, 12:45 AM         #35
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm telling you, you guys are so short sighted.

I would've returned the ball, but asked for two of the balls they didn't put in play that they set aside for Jeter's 3,000th. If you sell one of those balls, you could at least get $10,000 for it.

So now you have a sh*t load of Bats, Jerseys, Fitteds, Tickets for every remaining home game, an interview with Michael Kay AND Legends Seats to Sunday's game AND $10,000?

6 years ago '05        #36
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10714 10714
 Dangerously said:
That's stupid, of course the suite, tickets for four, food and drink, premium parking and an Interview on YES with Michael Kay would mean the world to a real fan.

fu*k money, give me those tickets
Michael Kay...

Baseball is a business! If I caught that ball, please believe I would have used it as a $$ come up!

Who has time to go to every home game?? Real life does come into play...
 6 years ago '08        #37
Sowhat 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,571 | Props total: 1 1
Dude can come up big time off this. Free tickets, plus memorabilia? Get that
 07-10-2011, 01:00 AM         #38
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ChickzNKickz said:
Michael Kay...

Baseball is a business! If I caught that ball, please believe I would have used it as a $$ come up!

Who has time to go to every home game?? Real life does come into play...
My thing is, let's step back and be real for a second. None of us are that important to where we're too good to appreciate being on YES and getting interviewed by Michael Kay. He's an herb yeah, but sh*t man, that's still MICHAEL KAY YO.

Beyond that though, when will you ever get the opportunity to have your own suite to Yankee games for a season? Shake hands with Derek Jeter? Get a call from Hal Steinbrenner?

Call me a lame, but money isn't everything when you get the chance to do something on this scale and not get singled out as the d!ckhead who refused to give Derek Jeter his 3,000th Ball. I don't think anyone has the balls to do that.
 6 years ago '05        #39
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10714 10714
 Dangerously said:
My thing is, let's step back and be real for a second. None of us are that important to where we're too good to appreciate being on YES and getting interviewed by Michael Kay. He's an herb yeah, but sh*t man, that's still MICHAEL KAY YO.

Beyond that though, when will you ever get the opportunity to have your own suite to Yankee games for a season? Shake hands with Derek Jeter? Get a call from Hal Steinbrenner?

Call me a lame, but money isn't everything when you get the chance to do something on this scale and not get singled out as the d!ckhead who refused to give Derek Jeter his 3,000th Ball. I don't think anyone has the balls to do that.
Even Hov called the n*gga crazy for giving back the ball....

I respect ya opinion on giving the ball back and I respect homie for doing so...

But 250k is going to get me further in life than Suites, memorabilia, hand shakes from Jeter, and a call from Hal...
 6 years ago '04        #40
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,753 | Props total: 13138 13138
 ChickzNKickz said:
Even Hov called the n*gga crazy for giving back the ball....

I respect ya opinion on giving the ball back and I respect homie for doing so...

But 250k is going to get me further in life than Suites, memorabilia, hand shakes from Jeter, and a call from Hal...
this

250K for catching a historical ball in a recession = lotto
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
75 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
115 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
124 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
107 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy