Billups wants Knicks to build team not collect stars

most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
95 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #1
9036 pageviews
66 comments

Bradley88 165 heat pts165
space
space
$2,407 | Props total: 207 207

The Knicks have two big stars now — Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire — and New York fans are dreaming of adding Chris Paul or Dwight Howard to that mix. New CBA, what new CBA? Those fans realize the road to the NBA finals out of the Eastern Conference goes through Miami and their three stars for the next few years.

Knicks point guard Chauncey Billups sees something different. He wants to see a team in New York. A real team. A deep team playing as a unit. A team that out executes its opponent. Like he was part of in Detroit in 2004. Like the Mavericks had this season. That’s what he told Chris Tomasson of Hoopshype.

“I think that in any situation you got to get a team,’’ Billups said in a wide-ranging interview at his basketball camp in suburban Denver. “It’s not about names, how many people on your team can make the All-Star Game. It’s not about that at all. It’s about putting the right pieces together. You got to have a cohesive unit. You got to have guys that know to play off of one another, guys that are going to be unselfish on both ends of the floor. Those are things that win championships, and we’ve seen that clear as day in the Finals.’’

“It’s not about that,’’ Billups said of collecting big names on a team. “We got two of the biggest names in basketball already (in Anthony and Stoudemire). It’s not about that. It’s about getting somebody that can play with the talent that you have… You look at the Mavericks, and they just share the basketball every time down the floor… Dirk is one of the best the game has ever seen. But he couldn’t do it by himself… So it’s all about the team….

“We need a lot,’’ said Billups, a five-time All-Star who averaged 16.8 points and 5.4 a.ssists last season. “We got (six) free agents…. We need a lot of stuff. That’s why the front office gets paid the big bucks. It’s their job to do it. It’s our job to execute.’’

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Billups wants Knicks to build team not collect stars | ProBasketballTalk

66 comments for "Billups wants Knicks to build team not collect stars"

6 years ago '07        #2
jordanfreak7 8 heat pts
space
space
$6,654 | Props total: 40 40
well collecting stars will at least get you to the finals, ie boston,miami

its your job to execute in the finals
 6 years ago '04        #3
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
$18,700 | Props total: 15527 15527
Knicks roster w/ Chris Paul as PG > Knicks roster w/ Chauncey Billups as PG
 6 years ago '06        #4
iCON-8 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,832 | Props total: 2 2
 jordanfreak7 said:
well collecting stars will at least get you to the finals, ie boston,miami

its your job to execute in the finals
Thats if the Knicks can get out the 1st round.. i aint hating but how can you jump from 1st round exit to projecting a finals appearance?? .. This is the problem with the Knicks.. jumping ahead of the gun always..

The foundation is there with the stars but they must focus on building the actual team around the foundation (Melo/Stat) and then taking it step by step to the Finals instead of expecting to land up there.. Miami and Chicago are still in their way out East..
 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM         #5
FRANK L 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iCON-8 said:
Thats if the Knicks can get out the 1st round.. i aint hating but how can you jump from 1st round exit to projecting a finals appearance?? .. This is the problem with the Knicks.. jumping ahead of the gun always..

The foundation is there with the stars but they must focus on building the actual team around the foundation (Melo/Stat) and then taking it step by step to the Finals instead of expecting to land up there.. Miami and Chicago are still in their way out East..
Didnt lebron jump the gun by saying theyre guna win 4,5,6,7 championships?
 6 years ago '04        #6
BackBlock_OG 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,958 | Props total: 1094 1094
 refuze said:
^This. Billups can tell his story walking.
 6 years ago '08        #7
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,766 | Props total: 12260 12260
 refuze said:
Just 2 short years ago Chauncey's Nuggs beat CP3's Hornets by 50 in the playoffs...outplaying ya boi in the process
 6 years ago '04        #8
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
 Mike Nitty said:
Just 2 short years ago Chauncey's Nuggs beat CP3's Hornets by 50 in the playoffs...outplaying ya boi in the process
That was 2 years ago.. this is now. Chauncey can still play, I'm not taking that away from him, but he's getting up there with age. The Knicks have to look towards the future. With Paul as their point guard, he can make things happen for Carmelo and Stoudemire. That's a sick lineup.

Three solid pieces w/ role players around them = high calibur team

BTW Boston's Big Three isn't going to last forever, they have to rebuild sooner or later. I can see them going for a youth movement in 1-2 years.
 6 years ago '10        #9
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,888 | Props total: 21135 21135
 iCON-8 said:

Good point

And I never really agree with you as far as Knicks matters go With some of the fans yea we do jump the gun but organization nah they take it one day at a time.
 6 years ago '05        #10
trackmanxs 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,470 | Props total: 139 139
 refuze said:
true but what billups is saying is you have to a bench as well. you need those role players that arent gonna be getting the league min just to play around all stars.

8 - 2 STRK: 1 l in a row WIN PCT: 80% 70 (-1) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 12-12, Rank #523 | Aug 16: 7-5, Rank #193 | Aug 15: 62-28, Rank #86 | Aug 11: 4-1, Rank #229 | Aug 10: 39-20, Rank #135 | Aug 08: 1-0, Rank #932 *
 6 years ago '06        #11
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,684 | Props total: 8637 8637
alot of old heads feel the same way billups does.

you can win that way but you got to built that championship team first.
 6 years ago '11        #12
megalomaniacal 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,660 | Props total: 4769 4769
The knicks dont need a point guard they need a couple big men for defense and rebounding
 6 years ago '06        #13
iCON-8 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,832 | Props total: 2 2
 FRANK L said:
Didnt lebron jump the gun by saying theyre guna win 4,5,6,7 championships?
Lebron is a fu*kin idiot no one listens to his a.ss now..
 6 years ago '04        #14
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
 trackmanxs said:
true but what billups is saying is you have to a bench as well. you need those role players that arent gonna be getting the league min just to play around all stars.
I agree with Billup's a.ssessment. The Knicks certainly could be a dominant team in the East if they find the right pieces to fit their current roster. What I'm saying is that if the Knicks find away to get Chris Paul, then they should go for it. I can see Paul in a Knicks uniform for 5-10 years while Billups only 1-2 so for a long-term investment, that would be a wiser choice.
 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM         #15
HotepSuns 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We actually are doing just this. With moves we are making/projected to make like bringing Kurt Thomas back. 2012 is when we can add real talented solid pieces.

Of course this is all cba dependent.
 6 years ago '07        #16
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
Well said Chauncey...We should have you coach the team this season instead of that goat that wears a suit and stand on the sideline every game...we should even offer you the GM job cus obviously the other goat that owns the team doesn't understand the concept of TEAM
 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM         #17
I ito I 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
billups suck
 6 years ago '07        #18
SmokinPiff 
space
space
$844 | Props total: 0 0
 iCON-8 said:
Thats if the Knicks can get out the 1st round.. i aint hating but how can you jump from 1st round exit to projecting a finals appearance?? .. This is the problem with the Knicks.. jumping ahead of the gun always.. The foundation is there with the stars but they must focus on building the actual team around the foundation (Melo/Stat) and then taking it step by step to the Finals instead of expecting to land up there.. Miami and Chicago are still in their way out East..
not to make excuses, but three out of four games, we basically played without STAT & Billups... of course we were'nt getting out of the 1st round with Anthony playing with a bunch of bums.

I do agree about jumping the gun, cuz it's a lot to a.ssume that both Stoudemire & Billups will stay healthy long enough to make a deep playoff run... but with the east the way it is, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Knicks make that leap this year.
 6 years ago '07        #19
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$35,778 | Props total: 2740 2740
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
knicks will be in the ecf this year regardless
 6 years ago '07        #20
balla9969 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,877 | Props total: 704 704
he basically saying he dont want to end up like miami 3 stars and a crappy bench...if you get the right pieces that fit the team they can make a run just like dallas did with dirk being their one star on the team
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
81 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
41 comments
19 hours ago