Jun 28 - Abercrombie & Fitch Won't Let Muslim Woman Live, Fires Her For Wearing Hijab

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
56 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
84 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '09        #61
jodyham 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,094 | Props total: 12 12
 egotistical said:
n*gga A&F or atleast over my way got more black people then the coogi store now...

I worked their for a bit in high school for the discount

They treat all their employees like sh*t... expected you to do something every single second... only reason I worked their was because I worked with these bad a.ss bi*ches... and the discount. pay you like sh*t too, but their clothes are so fu*king high priced..
That's how it works when you're on the job period.
 6 years ago '10        #62
Jinusean 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,287 | Props total: 10 10
Religion has and will never have a place in the business world unless it's the theme. A&F is not a private business, it's a public conglomerate designed solo to focus on customers 18-22 and should no focus on any race or religion

With that being said, A&F is fu*ked and as someone who have seen how business works with Hollister when I went to interview them twice, they're going to have more than budget set backs if it all comes out in the open
 6 years ago '07        #63
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,337 | Props total: 403 403
I don't know why anybody Black would wear A&F, Hollister and the rest of those clothing. When I see Black people rock that sh*t I just laugh
 6 years ago '04        #64
Alton85 
space
space
space
$274 | Props total: 31 31
 iCON-8 said:
That towel sh*t on their heads is dumb as hell.. if you want to wear that garbage go back to your country and rock that sh*t.. Stupid muslim fu*kers need to learn how to blend into societies they live in instead of trying to act higher then everyone else and act like they have a right to things over other people...

Dumb wh0ore
Are You Black? If so, How you develop this form of thinking with all that black have been through. Also did you know up to 40% of slaves were MUSLIM? but the white slave owner wanted to remove them from their religion.
 6 years ago '10        #65
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,552 | Props total: 199 199
take them for millions
 6 years ago '08        #66
The Fifth KD 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,484 | Props total: 1276 1276
Had they never hired her in the first place, they would win the case. (see Bona fide Occupational qualifications).

They still may win just by smartly throwing the person who hired her under the bus.
 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM         #67
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It's pretty insenstive especially when I look that Hijab in the same way a Jewish person has a Yamaka or a Hindi a Purgee.

We live in a multicultural society and if you see people of those faiths working in your town or city and they have the right to keep their stuff, this store should do the same.

I understand criticizing religion for forcing things, but by the same token this is also forcing things.
 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM         #68
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Also, I dont see how her headdress comprises their business. And to the people saying that such a thing has no place in business, you would probably be advised to take a Business Course in college and learn that things such as goodwill, public relations and diversity are important aspects to the brand of a company and any sort of perception by the consumer that you are alienating other people can hurt you brand incredibly

Look at Tommy Hilfiger and his comments about how he wasn't comfortable with black people wearing his clothes. Dude's brand went from being one of the top clothing companies in the world, going against Polo for a decade to taking a severe hit and having to re-brand and recover for now YEARS.
Any perception of racism be it in the way you market yourself or the way you treat your employees is going to have a negative aspect on you not only locally in your domestic market but in any aspirations of branding your company internationally (And please believe these US stores are trying and have been opening shops in Middle East and other countries)

lol@ some of you dumb motherfu*kers who think that does not play a factor in making money. Some of y'all aint businessmen, you just got a couple of hustles on the side and swear by Jay-Z lyrics that you know how the overall structure of a business model works.
 6 years ago '07        #69
SALTY3142 
space
space
$510 | Props total: 5 5
 Prophecy_projet said:
Also, I dont see how her headdress comprises their business. And to the people saying that such a thing has no place in business, you would probably be advised to take a Business Course in college and learn that things such as goodwill, public relations and diversity are important aspects to the brand of a company and any sort of perception by the consumer that you are alienating other people can hurt you brand incredibly

Look at Tommy Hilfiger and his comments about how he wasn't comfortable with black people wearing his clothes. Dude's brand went from being one of the top clothing companies in the world, going against Polo for a decade to taking a severe hit and having to re-brand and recover for now YEARS.
Any perception of racism be it in the way you market yourself or the way you treat your employees is going to have a negative aspect on you not only locally in your domestic market but in any aspirations of branding your company internationally (And please believe these US stores are trying and have been opening shops in Middle East and other countries)

lol@ some of you dumb motherfu*kers who think that does not play a factor in making money. Some of y'all aint businessmen, you just got a couple of hustles on the side and swear by Jay-Z lyrics that you know how the overall structure of a business model works.
A&F's business model has been wildly successful, you see a steady stream of people in Abercrombie and Hollister stores. Its the image they want to portray, their vision of what is surfer, California, "American" culture. So they only hire good looking, predominantly white, people. They want to be seen as elites the same way companies like Apple do, and its working.

On to the issue, people in general are so damn sensitive these days and muslims seem to be the ones that are complaining the most. Let's not forget that this headscarf is a CULTURAL, not a religious requirement as most people believe. I hate when people like this cry racism, it undermines the people that are experiencing real racism and discrimination.
 6 years ago '04        #70
Shea-bird 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,725 | Props total: 381 381
 gangtsa said:
YOu didnt really answer his question tho. In her contract the hijab was included..she didnt show up to work one day wearing her hijab. Where did you come with the argument that she has to adhere to company dress code when she was following the rules set out?
I fu*ked up with my initial statement, because I thought this was the same article as the other one (double posted). This one went into more detail. I'm not using this woman as a scapegoat, I'm saying that many people will intentionally work certain places and wait to be fired or let go, then claim it was religious/racial/s3xual predjudice to sue a company and make easy money.

SiqkWidaPen said:
i guess you didn't see this:The lawsuit requests back pay and punitive damages, but her attorney says her top priority is for Abercrombie & Fitch to change its “look policy” to allow for religiously mandated attire.
That's respectable. I'm done.
 6 years ago '05        #71
freshtoodef 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,612 | Props total: 4375 4375
i worked in abercrombie before and when the district manager would come she would be like u gotta shave your facial hair its not our look i would be like im muslim she would look at me and be like never mind then and leave it at that
 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM         #72
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SALTY3142 said:
A&F's business model has been wildly successful, you see a steady stream of people in Abercrombie and Hollister stores. Its the image they want to portray, their vision of what is surfer, California, "American" culture. So they only hire good looking, predominantly white, people. They want to be seen as elites the same way companies like Apple do, and its working.

On to the issue, people in general are so damn sensitive these days and muslims seem to be the ones that are complaining the most. Let's not forget that this headscarf is a CULTURAL, not a religious requirement as most people believe. I hate when people like this cry racism, it undermines the people that are experiencing real racism and discrimination.
Its been a widely successful business model up to this point, but if the issue of discrimination gets put into more scope with stories like this and the idea that they appeal to white people comes into scrutiny, then its brand loses its cool a little (Which you could argue it already does). As it is, more people are shifting to a more Urban Outfitters style of clothing (read Hipster) which seems to actually celebrate multiculturalism and is a direct competitor to A&F.
Tommy Hilfiger was also a successful business model until a few minor PR fiascos as well.

Also the Hijab is more a religious piece of clothing than cultural, Christan Arabs dont wear it comparatively speaking. While it is certainly a clothing of choice and is actually not mandatory in many Islamic nations (sans a couple), it really comes down to the values choice of the individual and I think if Muslim girls were raised to wear it or choose to wear it for their religious belief I think its okay to do so.

I go back to what I initially said: If more and more companies in the Western world both in retail and otherwise are allowing and are accepting of Islamic women and their choice to wear the Hijab, why can't this small time District Manager who works for A&F which already (despite however much money it makes) has a brand identity issue and does not own a large share of the marketplace to afford this kind of PR problem to happen, do the same? Matter of fact even if it was number 1, no one wants this kind of problem. Nike which is one of the biggest brands in the world has women who wear the hijab working in Niketown. I've seen so in the London store and in the Chicago one on Michigan Ave.
Surely you'll agree no company in this day and age is gonna outright support your logic that because "It's white and it's working" its okay?

Also its illogical to claim that this girl's case is somehow undermining people with real racial and discriminatory problems, when it clearly falls into the same category. Hell, I would argue given that there is still a massive cultural divide and understanding between the Islamic world and the west, stuff like this is relevant enough to take issue. The fact that some people are downing her for what they really don't know about or probably have their own issues is proof within itself.
 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM         #73
Trini Grim 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jeehtoven said:
Yessir. A&F is notorious for discrimination upon their employees. I got 3K from them because they wouldn't schedule for work me because I was black.

They want to promote a white culture. That's why only recent have you seen other races in their catalogs.
Comment of the day.... I had two good friends who one was black and one was white. At the time the one that was white had no prior work exp n was in high school, the one that was black had prior work exp n references. Guess who got the job..... go ahead guess........ I dare ya.
CLue: The answer rhymes with kite....
 6 years ago '06        #74
damn_ryght 
space
space
$2,805 | Props total: 785 785
 regulate said:
Religious Freedom = Constitution >>>>> Employee rules

What part of that is so hard to understand?
fu*k religious freedom. if you cant comply go back to where ya came from. im an immigrant. i like where im living now and i aint goin back to no 3rd world country ya dig?
 6 years ago '11        #75
Unomcfly 
space
space
$423 | Props total: 7 7
i keep reading folks say things like "go bacc where she came from or run to the middle east"...but She is american..has lived here all her life She' being an american..the same way irish and italian and jewish and west indian kids are American but still prob have some kind of immigrant pride. and As the Constitution provides for religious freedom..and unless A&F can prove that her Hijab Hindered business or that they told her in no uncertain terms that the Hijab would be a problem i dont understand how they have any legal legs to stand on.
 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM         #76
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 damn_ryght said:
fu*k religious freedom. if you cant comply go back to where ya came from. im an immigrant. i like where im living now and i aint goin back to no 3rd world country ya dig?

You make it sound like there's a national law than bans religious freedom in the US, but its one District Manager being ignorant and exercising a policy that isn't even clear. If anything that is being unconstitutional and thus unpatriotic
 6 years ago '08        #77
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 8 8
 Crookz said:
i can't believe there are black people siding with af on this...
saying she needs to a.ssimilate while white america thinks the same sh*t about black people

why give em ur money if u know they wouldn't hire u for being too black?
this is where black people keep fu*kin up.... blacks can help make or break brands, basically give free promotion and make these white people rich.
but n*ggas care more about being down or trendy more than being seen as an equal
 6 years ago '08        #78
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 8 8
 Eddie.. said:
you can practice them in your house

but if I own a business, you not wearing that and working for me at the same time.
fu*kin pathetic...my goodness
 06-29-2011, 09:46 AM         #79
Trill Clinton 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Them n*ggas deserve to lose whatever they got..

lol @ n*ggas sayin' they fired her because of her "look" and not because she was muslim.

what kind of naive thinking is that??

And all the minorities in here siding with A&F need to step back and do some soul searching.

Last edited by Trill Clinton; 06-29-2011 at 09:48 AM..
 6 years ago '04        #80
JGothoz 2 heat pts
space
space
$569 | Props total: 47 47
I'm a regional manager for this company and for the record there was a ton of miscommunication that led to her being fired. I actually know the district manager who red flagged her as a "look policy" issue and he accepts blame. It was a really bad mistake but it WAS a mistake. I'm black and I've never been discriminated on or seen discrimination in any of our stores...Our positions are "model" positions so we look for a specific look when we recruit a person but that qualification has nothing to do with race....we market to people who aspire to stand out just like any other major clothing brand but we dont advertise at all so we are very picky with who we choose to broadcast that image inside our stores. Every company has gone thorugh discrimination lawsuits but for some reason A&F gets more heat than anybody else...jus my 2 cents take it or leave it
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
105 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
88 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
186 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
71 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
61 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
46 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
103 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy