Jun 28 - Abercrombie & Fitch Won't Let Muslim Woman Live, Fires Her For Wearing Hijab

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
139 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
34 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
6664 pageviews
119 comments

SM 38163 heat pts38163
space
space
$127,792 | Props total: 67064 67064
Jun 28 - Abercrombie & Fitch Won't Let Muslim Woman Live, Fires Her For Wearing Hijab

A Foster City woman who is suing Abercrombie & Fitch for allegedly firing her for wearing a headscarf said she was “completely shocked” when she lost her job after she had been working at a retail store at the Hillsdale Shopping Center for four months.

Hani Khan, 20, said it was the first time in her life she had faced discrimination since she started wearing a headscarf in kindergarten. As a Muslim, she chooses to wear a headscarf, or hijab, that covers her hair, ears and neck as part of her religious practice of modesty when in public.

“Nothing like this has ever happened to me,” Khan said.

According to the lawsuit filed today in United States District Court, Khan started working at a Hollister Co. store in San Mateo's Hillsdale Shopping in October 2009. (Hollister Co. is a subsidiary of Abercrombie & Fitch.)

Khan, who was 19 at the time, said she was looking for a job to help her pay expenses as a college student. She applied at Hollister Co. because friends worked at the store.

“They told me they were hiring, and it seemed like a fun place to work,” Khan said.

Khan said she wore her headscarf to the interview, and the hiring manager asked her if she would wear a hijab in company colors to comply with Abercrombie & Fitch’s “look policy,” which Khan said she agreed to do. The “look policy” sets guidelines for employee attire and is distributed in the employee manual, according to Zahrah Billoo, one of Khan’s attorneys from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

“When I got hired by the store manager, they didn’t have a problem,” Khan said.

Khan described the “look policy” as clothes that convey a “beachy, fun vibe.” During her four months of employment, she wore jeans, a t-shirt, flip flops and her headscarf in required colors. She worked in the stockroom but made trips to the sales floor in the course of her duties.

In early February 2010, a district manager saw Khan at work while visiting the store, according to the lawsuit. On Feb. 15, the district manager called Khan into a meeting and asked her to speak on the phone with Abercrombie & Fitch’s director of human resources, Amy Yoakum, according to the lawsuit.

Khan said Yoakum told her the hijab violated the company’s “look policy” and asked her if she would remove the hijab. When she refused to do so, citing her religious beliefs, Yoakum suspended her, Khan said.

A week later, Yoakum again asked Khan if she would remove her hijab at work. When Khan again refused, Yoakum said the Abercrombie & Fitch couldn’t accommodate her religious observance and fired her, according to the complaint.

Abercrombie & Fitch could not be contacted for comment. The company is currently facing two other discrimination suits related to employees wearing headscarves.

“I think at that time, someone at the corporate office decided the diversity we celebrate in the Bay Area didn’t fit in with their ‘look policy,’” Billoo said.

“My coworkers and my manager were surprised,” Khan said. “When I came out [my manager] asked why I was leaving.”

A lifelong resident of Foster City and a product of public schools, Khan said she was used to being a minority and enjoyed diverse environments growing up.

“The hijab was never a problem,” Khan said. Though people asked her questions about her head covering, she said, “it was never regarded as anything more than an extra article of clothing.”

“After 9/11, all my neighbors, all my classmates, they all supported me,” Khan said.

Since her case has become public, Khan has received death threats, which she called “frightening.”

“They talked about decapitating my head and wrapping it around pig skin and burying it,” Khan said.

Khan filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and in September 2010, the commission found that she had been wrongly terminated. Federal law requires that employers make reasonable accommodation for employees’ religious beliefs.

Conciliation efforts between Khan and Abercrombie & Fitch failed in January of this year. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed its own lawsuit against Abercrombie & Fitch.

Khan is represented by attorneys from the Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center in addition to the Council on American-Islamic relations. Her lawsuit alleges that Abercrombie & Fitch violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act.

The lawsuit requests back pay and punitive damages, but her attorney says her top priority is for Abercrombie & Fitch to change its “look policy” to allow for religiously mandated attire.

[pic - click to view]

Woman 'Shocked' Over Headscarf Firing - South San Francisco, CA Patch

119 comments for "Jun 28 - Abercrombie & Fitch Won't Let Muslim Woman Live, Fires Her For Wearing Hijab"

6 years ago '04        #2
bony 37 heat pts37
space
space
$2,363 | Props total: 319 319
abercrombie is one of the most disgusting companies in america... people should be ashamed to even shop at that place
 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM         #3
Dr Seuss 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lawsuit

or just go on unemployment
 6 years ago '05        #4
HUDA2daF 2 heat pts
space
space
$14,526 | Props total: 7635 7635
womp womp, i worked at the one in aventura, good times it was right next to victoria's secret... :cool-smiley-009:
 6 years ago '06        #5
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,218 | Props total: 757 757
 bony said:
abercrombie is one of the most disgusting companies in america... people should be ashamed to even shop at that place
i have my own thoughts on this..but could you explain..have they done things like this in the past?
 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM         #6
playazinc 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Props to AC. When in Rome you do as the Romans do. Full face coverings, veils, etc .. you need to a.ssimilate into the cultures of the countries you go to. It never should he the other way around. My homeboys parents from India. His pops always says, if my wife wanted to live like we did in India we shouldn't have come to the USA and had our kids here.
Way too much liberalism these days with respect to bending over to accommodate everyone ELSE from other countries. If I wanna act American, and do American things, when I want, then I dont go to the Middle East and try to do them. You do what the locals do!! That's why you WENT THERE!! Or, wait, are our customs good only when it suits you!!
 6 years ago '08        #7
Eagles All Day 87 heat pts87
space
space
$32,793 | Props total: 12452 12452
 playazinc said:
Props to AC. When in Rome you do as the Romans do. Full face coverings, veils, etc .. you need to a.ssimilate into the cultures of the countries you go to. It never should he the other way around. My homeboys parents from India. His pops always says, if my wife wanted to live like we did in India we shouldn't have come to the USA and had our kids here.
Way too much liberalism these days with respect to bending over to accommodate everyone ELSE from other countries. If I wanna act American, and do American things, when I want, then I dont go to the Middle East and try to do them. You do what the locals do!! That's why you WENT THERE!! Or, wait, are our customs good only when it suits you!!
Such a simple minded fool. If your not allowed to practice your religon, whats the point of the fu*king AMENDMENTS which are stated in the CONSTITUTION.
 6 years ago '07        #8
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$18,078 | Props total: 1522 1522
 FaceTheGawd said:
Such a simple minded fool. If your not allowed to practice your religon, whats the point of the fu*king AMENDMENTS which are stated in the CONSTITUTION.
you can practice them in your house

but if I own a business, you not wearing that and working for me at the same time.
 6 years ago '04        #9
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
 Mintz said:
i have my own thoughts on this..but could you explain..have they done things like this in the past?
Yessir. A&F is notorious for discrimination upon their employees. I got 3K from them because they wouldn't schedule for work me because I was black.

They want to promote a white culture. That's why only recent have you seen other races in their catalogs.
 6 years ago '07        #10
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6100 6100
abercrombie & fitch is one of the most racist retail stores in america. they would go around college campuses recruiting white frat and sorority kids to work at their stores and like at one point 95% of their employees were white. a mexican kid sued them back in 2005 for being denied a job at their store and he won the lawsuit once race statistics of their employees were brought up in court.
Look up Gonzales vs. A&F

they also discriminate against people physically disabled.

this is like the 3rd time they've been accused of discriminating against someone muslim women wearing a hijab
 6 years ago '04        #11
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
 Eddie.. said:

but if I own a business, you not wearing that and working for me at the same time.
I don't agree with that. It should be at your own discretion. That's just as bad as discrimination.
 6 years ago '11        #12
sosobased 
space
space
$975 | Props total: 3 3
 Eddie.. said:

i agree. ALL religion has no place in the business world. leave that soft sh*t out of it.
 6 years ago '04        #13
Shea-bird 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,725 | Props total: 381 381
It's called an employer's dress code. If you want to wear certian things, apply and work at a job which allows you to. Don't pretend like you're being discriminated about and try and sue them. What a fu*king leech.
 6 years ago '07        #14
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6100 6100
 Eddie.. said:

you really don't have a say. you violate anti-discrimination laws the government has a right to force you to change your policies or risk being shut down.
 6 years ago '05        #15
MysticKJ 28 heat pts28
space
space
$15,420 | Props total: 4756 4756

[pic - click to view]

get that sh*t off your head!!!!!
 6 years ago '08        #16
space
space
 Eddie.. said:

Funny, considering just a few years ago people with your mentality didnt allow blacks to work at their store. I seriously hope you aint a n*gga with that frame of mind.
 6 years ago '08        #17
space
space
 Shea-bird said:
It's called an employer's dress code. If you want to wear certian things, apply and work at a job which allows you to. Don't pretend like you're being discriminated about and try and sue them. What a fu*king leech.
Did you even read the story, you stupid fu*k? She worked for 4 months, had no problem, no complaints and all of a sudden she gets fired .
 6 years ago '10        #18
Cashis Clay 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,869 | Props total: 226 226
I think abercrombie is the sh*t. But being black I know for a fact i wouldn't Get hired there if I wanted to...they only want a specific look workin in they stores....in jersey you gotta be asked to work there...they came up to my girl and asked if she wanted a job but she said no...
 6 years ago '04        #19
DJ Maximum|M 47 heat pts47
space
space
$43,333 | Props total: 11476 11476
 Shea-bird said:
When she got hired she complied with everything, the district manager didnt like it nobody had a problem with it. Im sure nobody was like oh let me not shop @ that store because theres a woman with a hijab smh. America is so fu*ked up.
 6 years ago '05        #20
the407problem 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,516 | Props total: 231 231
fu*k that store and the lames that wear their clothes
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
73 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
24 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
163 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
57 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
73 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
71 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy