Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #121
Magnificent Phoenix|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$7,120 | Props total: 229 229
 psylence2k said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the rap industry is not the business of selling rhymes but selling your personality through rhymes, it doesn't matter how dope your lyrics are, if you dont have an appealing personality that "fits" it aint going nowhere, it's kinda like when you pick your friends, if ppl on here were as logical with their friendships as they were rap then they would try to prioritize their friendships first with the most knowledgeable nerds, charitable givers, hardest workers and skilled craft technicians for appreciation of their "skill" , productivity to society, contributions to the community, and practical benefit for themselves when in need, but we dont do that, we pick our friends by whose personality we can relate to, who makes us laugh, and whose ego we admire. It's the same thing with most ppl and music. That's why Kreayshawn will always get more push than a Jean Grae, because more ppl including the average person can see themselves hanging and having fun with a Kreayshawn.

As far as the whole "respecting the culture" thing goes I'm kinda torn. I would love for all hip hop artists to be knowledgeable and study the craft in it's historic aspect as an artist such as Eminem has, but I cant really say they're obligated to, it seems the only rappers that feel an obligatory responsibility are those from New York and nowadays its not even all New York rappers, mainly just the older generation. I can see it as " Hey I'm just trying to make music and express myself through rhyming words , why do I HAVE to study and be knowledgable , if you like my music and it's good then that's all u need " now this is something that you would probably expect to hear from a Soulja boy but honestly Lupe said shyt like that when the whole Tribe Called Quest fiasco went down, and ppl still consider him one of the best in the game . I would love for Kreayshawn to be knowledgeable and honestly she would probably go alot further if she was, at least within the hip hop community and her credibility, but if she just likes to make music and chooses a rhyme format because she simply can't sing then who am I to fault her ???
 6 years ago '04        #122
murdahudawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,173 | Props total: 968 968
 DB30 said:
OK for the record V-nasty is the one who says n*gga all the time not Kreayshawn. Do some fu*king research before you run your mouth.
What you gon do about it f*ggot?
 6 years ago '11        #123
xrayvisionmedia 
space
space
$364 | Props total: 14 14
 McGuire said:
First, songs that riffs are in DO have names.

And I didn't ask you to name artists that influenced white musicians, I asked you to name specific riffs that Jimmy Paige and Bob Dylan stole from black musicians. and Fats Domino sang the blues? yeah, MY research is off.

And I don't see Mick Jagger yelling I MADE THIS MUSIC WITHOUT INFLUENCE before songs and performances, so the whole "not telling people they invented this style" is irrelevant because NO ONE says they invented the style. but seriously, you think that black kids rocking snake bites came about of its own momentum? please. Wayne saw (or stole, by your logic) punk rockers with a lip piercing and went out and got one.

So a quick recap on your "sound" argument: white musicians (who you can't name specifically) stole music (that you can't name specifically) from black musicians (who you can't name specifically).
You asked me to name the riff. I told you that riffs do not have names. I gave you a list of musicians, however for some reason that list is not sufficient .

If Fats Dominoes was not a blues singer, what kind of music was he singing?

I see you will continue to change your argument, to try to hide the fact that you are ignorant of the history of black musicians in the Americas.

I will let you have the last word.
 06-18-2011, 08:44 PM         #124
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
so are you saying because she's white it's wrong for her to eat off hip hop??

Do you know how many black ppl eat off things that were created by other cultures??

If you think that she in any way doesn't have a right to partake in a artform based on her skin tone then that racist bottom line.

There's no way that you can live in any first world country and say that you're not benefiting off something created by another culture , in most cases multiple cultures.

Ppl think that when you're the minority its okay to discriminate , racism is racism , but ppl think because they are apart of a oppressed minority that it's not racism.

and no I'm no parts White.
I'm not sayin' it's wrong, I'm sayin' that's the argument against her. The same has been said of every white rapper minus the Beastie Boys. I think she'll be successful cause that's what's popular now, shock rap.
 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM         #125
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 justinjones said:
so you gonna act like the beastie boys and rick rubin didn't get respect in the 80s
I'm not sayin' they didn't get respect cause they did and were influential in hip hop. Ok they are the pioneers of white rappers ( and 3rd Bass comes in 2nd ), but not originators of the culture.
 6 years ago '04        #126
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,786 | Props total: 1792 1792
 EDEEZY77 said:
I'm not sayin' it's wrong, I'm sayin' that's the argument against her. The same has been said of every white rapper minus the Beastie Boys. I think she'll be successful cause that's what's popular now, shock rap.
you consider her shock rap ??
 6 years ago '04        #127
tariqosuave 
space
space
space
$289 | Props total: 4 4
She's wack because she's wack... No MC skill at all. All image... and her image is exploiting and making fun of black culture... so ah...
 6 years ago '07        #128
nastynoble 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,748 | Props total: 126 126
 McGuire said:
damn, i always thought of their first album as mostly covers anyway, didn't know people thought they were original. the sleeve even said they were "Traditional" songs. and even if they were stolen (which they weren't), those are all white artists that they covered.

and the modern guitar dates back to 12th century Europe, which were variations of sitars and sh*t in Asia and India. so while the white man can't be credited with stringed instruments in general, the guitar sound you hear today did come from Europeans. no one uses a sitar except Incubus on that one Morning View song and Jefferson Airplane.

who's next?
here go the blues artists that they stole from.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #129
GST 
space
space
$14,826 | Props total: 2394 2394
 knowledge82 said:
where are all these people when black artists started usin white culture i.e chris brown , rhianna and just about everyone else makin euro dance records and wearin super skinny jeans and neon clothes? sometimes i hate blk people. always quick to moan.

when was that ever just a white culture ?

step your knowledge game up
 6 years ago '04        #130
Hardkore 10 heat pts10
space
space
$18,899 | Props total: 1127 1127
 I-NeeD-$$$ said:
people spend wayyyyyy too much time worried about this bi*ch
what i pretty much got from reading that article.

movies are a form of entertainment and people never question the motives of a movie.

i wish music was viewed in the same way.

no matter how hateful or how racist a song or musical artist is, i view it as fictional entertainment.

i wish people were not so f*cking stupid, in all honesty
 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM         #131
CIDF 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
bra theres not really no black culture really or white culture or brown when we all mixed socially anyway.
 06-19-2011, 02:48 AM         #132
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
all rap will be white in 2020

its so sad

they tried and tried to get rid of rap and they couldnt so now they are turning it into a joke and its working

my grandkids wont even know black people even made rap
 06-19-2011, 06:48 AM         #133
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
you consider her shock rap ??
Yeah, she's a white girl dressed up in goofy a.ss clothes sayin' n*gga.
 6 years ago '06        #134
pa_general 134 heat pts134
space
space
$6,856 | Props total: 557 557
fu*k this cracka a.ss cracka lol
 6 years ago '04        #135
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,441 | Props total: 6036 6036
 pa_general said:
fu*k this cracka a.ss cracka lol
i heard that sh*t sumwhere bra but i cant remeber where
 6 years ago '08        #136
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 ATLDOPEBOI18 said:
i heard that sh*t sumwhere bra but i cant remeber where
chris rock
 6 years ago '08        #137
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 skeetmcghee said:
Zep stole from Willie Dixon among others. Check these out.

And wtf are you talking about with white people invented the guitar. stringed instruments, like guitars, have been used since ancient times. Ole' trying to give whitey credit for everything a.ss n*gga.

nastynoble said:
here go the blues artists that they stole from.

damn...........
 6 years ago '04        #138
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,786 | Props total: 1792 1792
 EDEEZY77 said:
Yeah, she's a white girl dressed up in goofy a.ss clothes sayin' n*gga.
, well shyt some1 should've told Odd Future and Eminem this is all they needed to do and saved them some time and effort.
 6 years ago '05        #139
GST 
space
space
$14,826 | Props total: 2394 2394
 bigree61 said:
all rap will be white in 2020

its so sad

they tried and tried to get rid of rap and they couldnt so now they are turning it into a joke and its working

my grandkids wont even know black people even made rap

^^this
 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM         #140
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
, well shyt some1 should've told Odd Future and Eminem this is all they needed to do and saved them some time and effort.
Not sure what your point was ? They did that also when they came out.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside R.I.P. Polar Bears
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy