Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
124 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
45 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM         #81
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 yourFATazzMAMA said:
This is America we are in, and its 2011. And if yall think this is bad, wait till the later future await for us. The only reason shes getting the hate treatment is cuz her rapping style sucks balls, and her content is played out. Her being white has nothing to do with it. Did Em, Pall Wall, Joe scudda, Yelawolf, Jake One and Bubba Sparks get hated on cuz they white? NOPE cuz those are actually dope MC's. If Kreayshawn rap about something positive or different style, then this thread wouldn't even exist.

And this is coming from a black person...
white no......wack yes.......white and wack.........well we have a winner
 6 years ago '08        #82
knAwle3ge 73 heat pts73
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 384 384
 Dos-effect said:
 6 years ago '06        #83
hollyfield420 23 heat pts23
space
space
space
$3,365 | Props total: 374 374

Last edited by hollyfield420; 06-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: took something out of context
 6 years ago '05        #84
bi0 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,577 | Props total: 1137 1137

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #85
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,551 | Props total: 195 195
good article

One could argue she is exactly what hip-hop has become–gimmicky, devoid of substance, whack, the glorification of a street life, s3xualized and talentless. If that’s the case, is she appropriating Black culture or just a part of a watered down genre?
 6 years ago '08        #86
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 bi0 said:
this sh*t used to come on bet uncut back in the day......
 6 years ago '08        #87
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 DelbertMengel said:
good article

One could argue she is exactly what hip-hop has become–gimmicky, devoid of substance, whack, the glorification of a street life, s3xualized and talentless. If that’s the case, is she appropriating Black culture or just a part of a watered down genre?
very valid question....
 6 years ago '08        #88
senseispab 
space
space
$941 | Props total: 0 0
Article is nonsense

Music is a product

And there's enough different types to satisfy everyone.
 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM         #89
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DB30 said:
OK for the record V-nasty is the one who says n*gga all the time not Kreayshawn. Do some fu*king research before you run your mouth.
^this. ignorance
 6 years ago '04        #90
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
$36,305 | Props total: 12974 12974
 Dos-effect said:
Back to talking out of your a.ss again I see.
 06-17-2011, 03:47 PM         #91
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thank you.

There's is absolutely nothing wrong with white rappers. MC Serch, Beastie Boys, Aesop Rock, Mike Skinner, Cage, El P, Slug even Asher Roth all are hip hop to the fullest, but they don't have to ACT ghetto even though some are from the ghetto. I think Kreayshawn knows that people love to see a ghetto white girl who can rap and talk about her pus*y. I respect her hustle, but I'm not going to support her and act like a groupie over this bullsh*t. She's no better than Lil' B.
 6 years ago '05        #92
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 2161 2161
Yup... bish wish she was a black man.. Ole big black p*nis envy having a.ss ole I won't be around in a year a.ss bish... Ole damn speakz ain't write this so it prolly trash a.ss bish..

...i like guci gucci tho...
 6 years ago '04        #93
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,441 | Props total: 6036 6036
I DIDNT NOTICE HOW SQUARE ALOT OF n*ggaZ IS ON HERE TILL NOW
 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM         #94
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kevante said:
^this. ignorance
Oakland rapper Kreayshawn has been the center of attention since the drop of her "Gucci Gucci" single along with her hefty signing bonus she inked with Columbia Records this week. She has made her current motive clear to the public, and that is to make the rap world take her White Girl Mob seriously.

She caught heat for a tweet saying "People are actin so funny omg lol... I got 200k views... not 200k dollars...WTF YOU WANT FROM A N*GGA?! DMX VOICE."

People were coming down on her, because she used the n-word, to which she defended her statement in saying:

"Personally in my songs I don't use it at all. If I'm freestyling and I said it, that's just for that point in time. she told the OC Times "Any songs I'm writing I don't use it. But like I said in Oakland, Asian people will call Mexicans that. A Mexican will call a black dude that. A white person will call an Asian that. Everyone calls each other that. I feel like that word is used in the low income community more than anything. I can see if I was some rich crazy trick and I was just saying this because it's hip-hop. No, I was raised around this. Me and my sisters were all raised around this. People call me that. But personally I'm not flaunting it around. I don't say it in my music because of how, if I'm putting myself out there to the world there are going to be a lot of people who don't like it."

Do you agree?

Shut up.
 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM         #95
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ATLDOPEBOI18 said:
I DIDNT NOTICE HOW SQUARE ALOT OF n*ggaZ IS ON HERE TILL NOW
You're probably whiter than Powder. fu*k outta here.
 6 years ago '07        #96
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,357 | Props total: 15991 15991
this thread =
[pic - click to view]

what was the name of that movie again??
 6 years ago '04        #97
EOAE 60 heat pts60
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 283 283
This is a great thread. Thought provoking.
 6 years ago '06        #98
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,024 | Props total: 18791 18791
real heads aren't fans of her bullsh*t....only the casual rap fans who think 50 is really a bad a.ss dig this typa bullsh*t..them and drug addicts who feel alienated by real hip-hop....
 06-17-2011, 06:08 PM         #99
Bromander 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
shes annoying
 06-17-2011, 06:19 PM         #100
The Prowler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
I'm not even white but this reverse racism crap is getting outta hand, I dont think this chick is trying to act "black", there are plenty of white girls out there who are way more deserving of the title, I can't remember the last time I've seen a black girl dressed like her. She's more apart of the hipster movement than anything but even that label isn't totally fitting. The chick only has ONE song out that's big and it's about anti-materialism, last time I checked Hip-Hop was a hugely materialistic culture in SOME aspects, so doesn't that mean she's going against the grain?? Saying any culture belongs to one race and should be exclusionary is RACIST. We dont call black ppl culture stealers if they try to salsa, or play basketball, or eat with chopsticks, all these were created by other races but it's a big deal when other races try to do something "black".

I dont see how she's exploiting black culture when there's been blatant coonery in hip hop for YEARS and everyone was still dancing to that shyt in the club but when a white girl does it it's a problem? PPl are mad she's getting a pass to do things artists of other races get ridiculed for? How the phuck is that her fault/problem??? Why dont we get on the ppl who set the double standard ??? Not attack some girl who has the right do wuteva she wants. Trying to make her a scapegoat for all the racial discrimination that happened before her is wack, ignorant, and most of all racist in itself.

The article is hypocritical because the whole time they bash her for "ignorant, non-substance, shallow, stereotypical music" but then she's exploiting black culture at the same time?? So we're automatically a.ssociating black culture with what they feel is "crappy" music ??? How they make a huge conclusion off one song confuses me, she hasn't even dropped an album yet but we are already labeling her a "culture stealer" off a song about anti-materialism??? White ppl didn't bi*ch when black and hispanic artists were doing things considered "white" so nah she's not a culture stealer cuz nobody "owns" a culture, if you know your history you would know that EVERY culture has borrowed from another, certain bitter ppl are just trying to be culture hoarders.
This.

[pic - click to view]

That article (which is more of a slanderous personal attack based on race than an actual nuanced or reflective sociocultural musing) is far more revealing about the author,

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

freelance writer , than it is about Kreayshawn.

You could replace every instance of the word "culture" (i.e., as in "black culture") in the article with the word "stereotype" and come out with a semantically more accurate but still equally wrong a.ssessment of Kreayshawn.

Sure, cultures tend to vary by ethnic and racial groups. And you can often identify some level of cultural affiliation by recognizable cues (e.g., style of dress, musical tastes, leisurely activities, etc). But attributing such cues to cultural affiliation is better left as an after-the-fact explanation (i.e., after you know for sure -- or, as they say in certain nerd circles, a posteriori) as opposed trying to predict one's culture based off of them (i.e., a priori) because such a prediction will inevitably rely on stereotypes, which will often be wrong (as they are here) or worse. And in this case, the stereotypes are the most aversive ones of them all... racial stereotypes. That is, Viera's determination of whether or not Kreayshawn has a legitimate cultural affiliation is based exclusively on Kreayshawn's race vis-a-vis Viera's conception of the "sister girl" stereotype. Viera never entertained the idea that perhaps Kreayshawn's image is heavily influenced by other communities (e.g., hipsters) or that perhaps she genuinely has been, to some extent, socialized by her peers in the disadvantaged black community where she spent many of her formative years and continues to maintain ties to.

It's funny, because after looking up some of Viera's bloggings on the website linked by the OP, I came across this observation:

It is much harder to combat racism and s3xism when we’re internalizing the very stereotypes we’re trying to dismantle.

It's unfortunate Ms. Viera completely failed to see how that might apply in her judgments against our favorite rising hipster artist.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago