Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture?

most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
101 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
45 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #1
10705 pageviews
197 comments

supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture?

[pic - click to view]

Elvis Presley was not the originator of rock ‘n’ roll. That would be Chuck Berry. Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby” is said to be the first hip-hop song to top the Billboard charts (others argue it was “Rapture” by Blondie). Justin Timberlake went from the pop sensation group ‘N Sync to the soulful singing White boy with swag. My point? America has always capitalized off of Black culture. Kreayshawn, the new White girl rapper, is only the latest byproduct.

Her government name is Natassia Toloz. Complex magazine reported the 21-year-old Oakland native is rumored to have signed a $1 million dollar record deal with Sony Music. The petite, sometimes blonde, sometimes brown-haired rapper, sparked buzz with her hit single “Gucci, Gucci” totaling over 2 million views on YouTube. Like Soulja Boy, she’s young, an Internet sensation and plans on parlaying her popularity into a full-blown rap career. She has denied the rumored record deal, but admits she has been in talks with Sony Music. Whether the ink is already dry or not, she will get a deal.

[pic - click to view]

Kreayshawn (pronounced Cri-shon), possibly a play on creation, is the leader of her squad White Girl Mob. Vigilantly watching her video for the first time, I thought, ‘Is it possible for me to be intrigued, humored and disgusted at the same time?’ The huge gold doorknocker earrings. Her asymmetrical bob cut. Her homegirl rocking a similar cut, but with blonde streaks. The tats, the vernacular, the black dude entourage passing her a blunt. I hoped it was satire, while knowing it wasn’t.

Backed by Odd Future, homies with Lil B and co-signed by Snoop Dogg, I knew a record label executive somewhere saw dollar signs within 30 seconds of watching her. The novelty of a mainstream White female rapper has been nonexistent. It was only a matter of time before a vested interest arose to capitalize off such a rarity. But White rappers are not some new phenomenon. Eminem is arguably one of the best lyrical emcees in the game, Black or White.

White rappers aren’t the problem. Exploitation of Black culture is.

Black culture is diverse with various meanings; and how one defines Black culture varies from individual. In the case of Kreayshawn, I’m referring to her misinterpretation of what she thinks Black culture and hip-hop is.

One could argue she is exactly what hip-hop has become–gimmicky, devoid of substance, whack, the glorification of a street life, s3xualized and talentless. If that’s the case, is she appropriating Black culture or just a part of a watered down genre?

I don’t believe for one second her image is authentic. It is one derived of the stereotypical “sister girl” trope we’ve seen time and time again. Understand, I’m not arguing whether “sister girl” actually exists. I’m not even arguing that the “sister girl” is to be shunned. But Kreayshawn’s image, how she carries herself, her lyrics are all derivative of her very limited view of Black culture.

Beside her lack of creativity, the fact that she’s garbage on the mic, the inauthenticity of her persona is unnerving. A Berkley Film School dropout, allegedly from the hood, has found her niche in hip-hop. Perhaps her posturing is homage of sorts to what she grew up seeing. And this is what she believes she must imitate to gain credibility in hip-hop.

But with artists like Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, and B.o.B., isn’t there now a space in hip-hop that exists for rappers to just be themselves without the need for street credibility? Or a trumped up, unoriginal “sister girl” image? I guess we haven’t reached a point where female emcees are afforded the privilege of not having to be either “hood” or s3xy.

It’s ironic how the White girl mimicking Black culture has been viewed as quirky, cute, and interesting in the past. But sisters who fashionably rock bamboo earrings, gold nameplate necklaces, and blonde streaked weaves, will inevitably be considered “ghetto” by society. It’s equally problematic that every female emcee post Queen Latifah and MC Lyte who has had massive mainstream success all had to sell s3x. Kreayshawn, on the other hand, is able to avoid an over s3xualized image because of her whiteness.

It goes without saying that most people don’t take issue with talented White artists excelling in genres Blacks created. We’ve certainly supported artists like Robin Thicke, Amy Winehouse and Eminem. I’d imagine that support was gained from them creating good music and not selling a gimmick.

Clearly I’m not Kreayshawn’s targeted audience, and I’m totally opposed to spending money on a White artist who loosely drops the n-word in casual conversation. My being unimpressed, however, does not negate her following. If only she had gained a following through actual talent, opposed to capitalizing off of a genre and culture she obviously doesn’t care to understand.

Kreayshawn’s existence within hip-hop is a reflection of the very aspects we self-proclaimed hip-hop heads find problematic. She is a result of a genre that was forever changed once America realized there was a huge opportunity to capitalize off of a global influential culture. Kreayshawn, artists like her, and those who co-sign them are all culprits in the auctioning off of our culture to the highest bidder.

[pic - click to view]

Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture « Clutch Magazine

Last edited by supervillain; 06-17-2011 at 11:04 AM..

197 comments for "Kreayshawn: Another Case of Appropriating Black Culture?"

6 years ago '08        #2
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,543 | Props total: 17177 17177
I call it a mockery of the culture, we all know this young bi*ch ain't no real MC, nobody with a brain gives a fu*k about anything music related with her, if you are then you're doing it wrong. She is a Youtube video persona having her 15 mins not a music artist trying to help the hip hop culture.

I like these quotes here

It’s ironic how the White girl mimicking Black culture has been viewed as quirky, cute, and interesting in the past. But sisters who fashionably rock bamboo earrings, gold nameplate necklaces, and blonde streaked weaves, will inevitably be considered “ghetto” by society. It’s equally problematic that every female emcee post Queen Latifah and MC Lyte who has had massive mainstream success all had to sell s3x. Kreayshawn, on the other hand, is able to avoid an over s3xualized image because of her whiteness.

I don’t believe for one second her image is authentic. It is one derived of the stereotypical “sister girl” trope we’ve seen time and time again. Understand, I’m not arguing whether “sister girl” actually exists. I’m not even arguing that the “sister girl” is to be shunned. But Kreayshawn’s image, how she carries herself, her lyrics are all derivative of her very limited view of Black culture.

Last edited by The N; 06-17-2011 at 11:15 AM..
 6 years ago '10        #3
theking1 3 heat pts
space
space
$6,236 | Props total: 11 11
fu*k this bi*ch :beat:
 6 years ago '05        #4
kingkolby 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 97 97
isnt it all human culture.
 6 years ago '10        #5
philty 126 heat pts126
space
space
$2,016 | Props total: 22 22
i use to like this girl til i see the daily dose of spam in here watch this go 5 deep
 6 years ago '08        #6
knowledge82 3 heat pts
space
space
$506 | Props total: 14 14
where are all these people when black artists started usin white culture i.e chris brown , rhianna and just about everyone else makin euro dance records and wearin super skinny jeans and neon clothes? sometimes i hate blk people. always quick to moan.
 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM         #7
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kreayshawn, on the other hand, is able to avoid an over s3xualized image because of her whiteness.
:sigh:

This whole article sucks. Anytime someone that is white and gets a little popular in hip hop are articles like this going to be written? As for the N word, while i don't like anyone using it no matter race, where are the articles talking about how wrong it is for anyone other than blacks to say it. That doesn't make much sense to me.
 6 years ago '07        #8
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4815 4815
i dont know whats worse,this skinny white bi*ch,or tha n*ggas in her video lettin her get away wit this sh*t
 6 years ago '08        #9
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
I can def see where the writer is coming from..i felt that way about elvis, em, and vanillia ice...but as i got older and i realized that rap doesn't give a fu*k about me..and theres no sign of change is sight ..i say get money, it dont matter if you're black, brown, white or green., fu*k what everybody else think...
 6 years ago '04        #10
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
$36,367 | Props total: 13036 13036
 The N said:
I call it a mockery of the culture, we all know this young bi*ch ain't no real MC, nobody with a brain gives a fu*k about anything music related with her, if you are then you're doing it wrong. She is a Youtube video persona having her 15 mins not a music artist trying to help the hip hop culture.

I like these quotes here

I can't stand this chick--but how is she not a real MC? You're being racist.
 6 years ago '04        #11
DonofDons21 
space
space
$6,254 | Props total: 701 701
vnasty>>>>kreyshawn
 6 years ago '11        #12
megalomaniacal 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,658 | Props total: 4769 4769
I wonder whats going to happen in the future when white people dominate hiphop sales and start putting the purchasing power on white rap artist, I know its coming just look at trends.
 6 years ago '04        #13
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
 knowledge82 said:
where are all these people when black artists started usin white culture i.e chris brown , rhianna and just about everyone else makin euro dance records and wearin super skinny jeans and neon clothes? sometimes i hate blk people. always quick to moan.
As much as I hate putting people in a box "sometimes i hate blk people...always quick to moan."

I actually agree with the principal of a point you're making. When a white person succeeds in something considered "black culture", there is always some type of hate, or upheaval. While... if a black person succeeds in somethings considered "white culture, or white dominated"... nothing is said. (Which for the record.. MY opinion is that off... there should be no racial cultures... just cultures.)
 6 years ago '08        #14
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,543 | Props total: 17177 17177
 regularjoe said:
I can't stand this chick--but how is she not a real MC? You're being racist.
 6 years ago '05        #15
kingkolby 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 97 97
Im tired of any person of any race claiming something is theirs because someone in history that created it happened to be the same race. How bout white people stop making and listing to rap and black people stop watching movies, using the internet, the phone. How about all of America stop growing food since the Indians taught us how. fu*k if someone mimics you isnt that flattering. I remember a time when Rap was begging to be accepted.
 6 years ago '04        #16
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
 The N said:
There are accepted artists who say WAY less than this bi*ch, and they're accepted as emcees. I'm asking how is she not. Don't just use a smilie. You're supposed to be this ultra-intellectual on this board. Let's see it.
 6 years ago '07        #17
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4815 4815
 regularjoe said:
As much as I hate putting people in a box "sometimes i hate blk people...always quick to moan."

I actually agree with the principal of a point you're making. When a white person succeeds in something considered "black culture", there is always some type of hate, or upheaval. While... if a black person succeeds in somethings considered "white culture, or white dominated"... nothing is said. (Which for the record.. MY opinion is that off... there should be no racial cultures... just cultures.)
yall geeks got wax in yall ears???
nothin wrong wit her succedin as a rapper,its tha fact that she says n*gga more than paul mooney thats tha problem.a buncha lily white bi*ches callin themselves white girl mob,rappin and sayin n*gga all day

let me kno when a black artists starts singin rock songs callin whites honkys
 6 years ago '08        #18
supervillain 244 heat pts244 OP
space
space
 regularjoe said:

you gotta understand where it stems from....i have an idea of where it comes from but thats a whole other topic and i dont have the energy...no dis tho.
 6 years ago '11        #19
j3rz 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,972 | Props total: 854 854
man i dont give a fu*k about all that sh*t bruh im just waiting on a s3xtape
 6 years ago '05        #20
JimDinO77 14 heat pts14
space
space
$22,094 | Props total: 4229 4229
i wrote a essay like this in high school about eminem when i was young and naive ..... when they write dumb sh*t like this, they are basically saying white people aren't allowed to share the culture or be influenced by black culture if they are surrounded by it.... they have to be white and do white things

her fanbase will probably grow rapidly, she'll be crowned the originator of that sound.... but that's the fans creation, if white people support their own to the point where she becomes a huge success, that's just another perk of being Caucasian .... her sh*t is trash, but I'm sure the n*gga who wrote this isn't buying lil' B's sh*t
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
38 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
72 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
110 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
248 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy